Start by marking “White Sand, Volume 2 (White Sand, #2)” as Want to Read:
White Sand, Volume 2 (White Sand, #2)

White Sand, Volume 2

(White Sand #2)

Following the loss of most of his colleagues in a violent ambush, Kenton has become Lord Mastrell of the few remaining Sand Masters, magicians who can manipulate sand to do their bidding. With the ruling council poised against him, the hot-headed Kenton must become a diplomat to have any hope of preventing the eradication of his people forever. However, there’s another com ...more
Published February 21st 2018 by Dynamite Entertainment

Start your review of White Sand, Volume 2 (White Sand, #2)
Petrik
Apr 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sanderson, I consider you my favorite author of all time. But please, for the love of god never EVER do this kind of graphic novel adaptation for your work again.

This won't be a full review, I don't need a full review to explain how unpolished this volume is. Bottom line is that this shouldn't have been published in this current state. First, the dialogues are poor and I mean really poorly written and awkward. Poor characterizations, stories are damn boring and felt messy. Artworks used to be th
Valliya Rennell
3 stars

Story: ★★★
The story picked up somewhat. It wasn't fantastic, but I am more invested and am enjoying what I am reading. The new developments are there, however when comparing it to the first volume, I barely feel like we moved at all. That being said, the pacing was better and the things happening overall were more enjoyable to read about. Although there is less shock moments in this volume, there is more time spent with characters and making them into not-cartoons. Overall I liked the
Manisha
Actual review: 2.75

There are some stories meant to be written, some meant to be watched, and some meant to be read with pictures. This is definitely not one meant to be read in a graphic novel format.

Not only has a story that was meant to be one novel been divided into three graphic novels, but this middle installment was underwhelming. The artwork was poor, but it was the graphic novel format that hindered the storytelling the most.

I could tell that there were important facts missing. It felt
Calista
This is sort of a political fantasy thriller. Kenton is trying to save the Diem and the Sand Masters but there are assassins trying to kill him. The San Masters were very secretive and he is having to look at traditions that have turned the people away from this idea.

I like the story and the world set up. I want to know more about the Sand Master's. We really don't know much about the history of what is going on and there is so much more to know. I want to know more about the Darksiders. I was
Bradley
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm only going to compare this story to the bulk of Brandon Sanderson's other work because most of us already know he's both prolific and fun and he rarely ever writes a bad story.

The same is true for White Sand. I stayed up late into the night last night reading far past my normal bedtime, enjoying the hell out of Vol 2 and most of Vol 3.

In retrospect, the story may be slightly predictable, but it is fundamentally the same as Game of Thrones in the broad brushstrokes.

The fate of a *small* kingd
Chad
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2018, 2018
Volume 2 focuses on Kenton trying to get the necessary votes to keep the Sand Masters guild alive. There is a lot of political intrigue as he meets with each of the council to try and sway their vote. At the same time, he has to fend off multiple assassins as a religious order has named him a blasphemer. I like what's been done with the translation from prose to comic. I'll have to see if I can track down the original novel once this is finished.
Thomas J. Benedict
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
You break a book into three parts, and you get three incomplete stories. That’s what White Sand is.

This second instalment wasn’t terrible, but it’s the middle of a story, not really a whole story by itself. Kinda hard to rate. I did enjoy this book, even though it took me super long to finish.

Plus, something really bothered me. This world had a “day side” and “dark side.” People from the sunny day side have light skin, while people from the dark side have dark skin. It’s illogical. Skin pigments
Coreen ❇
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-shelf
I need the novel version A-S-A-P!

RTC
Matías Racedo
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

I like the story, I think I would have loved the book if Sanderson had published it as a regular novel, instead of being published separately as graphic novels. But sadly that is the case, so I'm not enjoying these White Sand volumes very much.
To start with, it's a bit confusing, so much world building and magic to explain with so little text, most of it dialogues. And I've never been a fan of the artwork, the details most of all. But what they did with this last volume, using a differe
Mitticus
3.5

I got problems once again with my e-arc pdf copy , the images were not clear and a number of missing letters do a very frustrasting reading of an otherwise engaging story, more complex this time.

Kenton, now as Lord Mastrell of the remaining sand masters require the votes of the Lords to keep The Diem . But everywhere he turns for help or alliances found old grudges against the sand masters, religious prejudice and asassins attacks.

Maybe is time that some things change. The old ways of the sa
Amber
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks-library
Pretty good Volume of the White Sand graphic novel series by Brandon Sanderson. Very action-packed and more. If you enjoy Brandon Sanderson, be sure to check out this graphic novel series and wherever books are sold.
C.P. Cabaniss
While I think that this volume is an improvement over volume one, I still had issues with it. I am not sure that Sanderson translates well to this format. While the world is interesting and the characters have potential, it lacks the touch that his novels have. This was based on a draft of the novel that he wrote a long time ago, so it makes sense that it might not seem as polished as his recent stuff, but I still have a hard time with it presented like this.

How are they going to wrap this up w
RG
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable volume 2 in the White Sand series. The story is vintage Sanderson and flows nicely. The artwork for 5/6 chapters maintains the sketch art which Im not a huge fan of. However, chapter 6 becomes more of the more standard comic book art but I was kinda surprised by the sudden change. There must be a reason for it. It is easier on the eye and could appeal to more readers. I'll definitely continue but I'd probably only reccomend this for Sanderson fans.
Hasham Rasool
I quite enjoyed the first volume of White Sand. I feel this book is a bit rushed and the graphic art could have been better.

Brandon Sanderson is my favourite author but I must admit this book isn't the best of his piece of work.
Jon Adams
Feb 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Well, at least it had pretty pictures... until the last chapter that is.

I can't fathom why the reviews are so high for this.
Cori Reed
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

Sigh. Everyone knows Brandon Sanderson is my all time favourite author, but White Sand? It's just not great. I started reading this volume in April and only just forced myself to finish it.
Katy
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Graphic novels are not my usual genre; but I enjoy Sanderson so I had to try this series.
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
Mar 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
My complaints from the preceding volume persist, and in addition the art changes jarringly at the last collected issue in this volume. It elminated the constantly-dirty look of the prior art, but managed to make the characters look even worse, especially that long-haired drunken lord.

If my library acquires the third volume I will read it just to see if the story goes anywhere, but if this represented any kind of actual time commitment I would not bother to do so.

Etienne
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was worst then the first one. Can't get into it.
Taylor Ramirez
Tina
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This instalment was even better than the first one. While that one served as an introduction to the characters and the world, things are happening in this one.

Kenton is maturing in leaps and strides. He is working hard to do what he feels is right, and he has quite a lot of work ahead of himself with all the obstacles in his way.

Khriss and the Darksiders are a great addition. I really enjoy seeing their prejudices and assumptions about the Daysiders. While their observations are written in a hu
Réka
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
This story is a bit underwhelming and I think it might be an issue of format. I think this magic system is not ideal for being shown in drawing. The artists had to use weird little asterisks to show sand which felt out of place. Also the drawing style is way too crowded for me (at least the style in the first five chapters). And here I would mention the unexplained, but welcome style change in the last chapter. I feel like this story would be much easier to tell in text, it would be able to bloo ...more
Lucille
Mar 30, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
DNF
I'm sorry to have to mark as did-not-finish a Sanderson book but this series just isn't working for me.
I thought my disappointment on the first volume was only because it was a set up book but here everything I wasn't a fan of in the first just keeps continuing. I don't really like the art (plus the review PDF I got from netgalley was very blurry and basically un-readable) and the dialogues feel weird. It sounds like a graphic novel I could have found in a second-hand bookshop from years ago
Mayank Agarwal
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn’t enjoy this volume, it just didn’t work for me.

The Writing – It was the same as volume 1, the pace was too fast, too many stuff happening, we jump from one scene to another without much character or story building. The storytelling felt dull and uninteresting with the events covered in the volume. It was missing the beautiful writing pose the author is known for. (3/5)

The Art – What I liked about Volume 1 was the beautiful world building the art was able to showcase. This time around th
Quintin Zimmermann
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's worth repeating: Lost in transition.

The second volume of White Sand is mired in tedious political machinations which severely hobbles the pace of this volume.

The artwork is scratchy and inconsistent. In fact, chapter six has a completely different cartoonish artistic style to the preceding five chapters, even the characters look noticeably different.

For an expansive world, custom built by Brandon Sanderson, this middle volume feels particularly claustrophobic. Most of the scenes take place
Rian *fire and books*
Even with a reread of this, I have to say I still hate the original artist’s work. Why is a young man covered in wrinkles and why does everything look unfinished? Maybe others are fine with the art but for me it really makes me feel like I’m looking at subpar work. It all feels very unfinished (as I just said...) and blurry. I’m grateful a second artist came on board for the last issue in this volume.

The story didn’t advance very far here. Kenton secured another vote, we still have the looming
daisy
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm not really enjoying this series as much as I was hoping to tbh. : (
Mostly holding on at this point to learn more about the worldbuilding and Khriss; I need to know how Khriss and the Ars Arcanum business got started.

Read White Sand for Khriss.
description
description
Danielle
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sanderson at it again with the great magic systems and incredible characters! I do wish the comic included more of the prose, though. I felt a little lost, and I read this in about 2 hours, which is way too fast to really get all the little details and hidden cosmere Easter eggs. I'll have to do a re-read before WS3, for sure.
Mel Anie
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that volume one was really good. Well, this was even better!

RTC

Finally it's a time to read this!
Cannot wait to find out what Kenton is up to in this volume!
Bethany
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
That art change though. 🙃
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: White Sand Volume 2 [Mar 12, 2018] 21 38 Mar 20, 2018 10:00AM

• The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Warrior of the Altaii
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • Vinland Saga Omnibus, Vol. 10
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • New Spring (The Wheel of Time, #0)
  • I, Night Angel (Night Angel, #3.5)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, #11)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)
  • The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)
  • A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

White Sand (3 books)
  • White Sand, Volume 1 (White Sand, #1)
  • White Sand, Volume 3 (White Sand, #3)