2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > AJ's Reading Fortress

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arlo (last edited Jan 02, 2018 07:35PM) (new)

Arlo | 83 comments Hi! Welcome to my member corner for 2018! I've done terrible with this before but here we go again.

message 2: by Arlo (last edited Jan 03, 2018 02:29PM) (new)

Arlo | 83 comments Reading Goal: 1/50 books

1) PathFinder 4/5

message 3: by Arlo (last edited Jan 03, 2018 02:35PM) (new)

Arlo | 83 comments Yearly Challenges Part 1

The Every Year Challenge
Duration: January 1, - December 31, 2018

Your goal is to read a book published every year since you were born, or you can choose a year something special happened (e.g, you graduated, you got married, etc.) and read from that year.

This challenge will help us check out the literary styles from different years.

Goal: 1/22 books, 1995 to now
2014 PathFinder

Clear All Your Bookshelves Challenge
Duration: January 1 to December 31, 2018

This challenge is a way to clean out all of your bookshelves: your physical, your electric, and your audible ones! The books you read for this challenge are books you that are already in your possession. Whatever you do for this challenge, you are not allowed to read a book obtained after December 31, 2017 unless you have read at least 5 books you already own.

Goals
Physical Books: 0/10
1)????
Ebooks: 1/5
1)PathFinder

Let's Turn Pages

Our most popular challenge is back for another year, Let's Turn Pages! We are always making goals about how many books we want to read in a year. How about we make a goal for number of pages we want to read?

1. Make a goal of number of pages you would like to read.
2. Read as many pages as you can in one year.
3. Since you probably don’t know what you want to read for the entire year, make your list as you go. (Be sure to post the number of pages in your book!)

If your edition doesn't have page numbers (such as an audiobook), use the most popular edition of the book (that's not an audiobook) to determine what the number of pages should be. Rereads will count for this challenge, but you have to read the entire book…no skimming!

Goal: 480 /6,453
Book Tally:
1) PathFinder + 480

message 4: by Arlo (last edited Jan 05, 2018 05:12PM) (new)

Arlo | 83 comments Yearly Challenges Part 2

The Chain Reaction

Let's create a Chain of Books. For this challenge you will decide the number of books you would like to link together. Start by picking a book, any book, and note the things you find interesting. Once you finish that book, select a new book that links with something you found in the book you just finished. Keep doing this until you have a Chain Reaction!

Example:

Start with Norse Mythology.
This is a fantasy book that revolves around mythological creatures such as Norse gods, dwarfs, and giants. The dwarfs were really interesting!
So the next book will be The Hobbit.
This book is a classic fantasy book that has a hero, dwarfs, and a dragon. Time for another classic!
So the next book could be 1984. Find things that are interesting and go from there!
And so on and so forth.
The length of the chain is totally up to you!

Have fun!

Goal: 0 /6
1)??? about x leads to
2)???

The Memebers Tasks

This challenge is all about YOU, the wonderful members of our group. All members had the opportunity to submit a task and together we created a challenge. Check out the original entries here.
Set your goal, and see how many of these member-created tasks you can complete!

1. Adriana's task: I just changed careers and I'm studying to be a librarian in the new year. Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character.

2. Amanda's task: I am from Scotland and now live in the Netherlands. I studied French and German. Read a book which has been translated from another language.

3. Anna's task: I am in a Disney mood. Read a book where any character's name matches with any Disney character's name. Example: Peter from The Chronicles of Narnia - Peter Pan.

4. Aparajita's task: I am an Indian. Read a book written in a language that appears on the Indian currency, other than English. (Read a translation if you don't speak/read any of those languages).

5. April's task: I live in the woods of north-central Washington state and I grew up in Oregon. Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.

6. Blagica's task: I am sitting here reading Under the Dome, a book with over 1000 pages. Read a book that intimidates you or the biggest book on your TBR Pile.

7. Candiss' task: IN PROGRESS I have a love for epistolary fiction - books that are written as a series of documents - traditionally letters or diary/journal entries but now also sources such as newspaper articles/clippings, emails, text messages, blog posts - even transcribed audio recordings. Read a work of epistolary fiction. Illuminae

8. Charity's task: One of my best friends is bipolar and I've been trying to read books related to bipolar disorder to better understand her. Read a book about mental illness.

9. Cheri's task: I studied medieval hisory. Read a book that is about or takes place in the Middle Ages.

10. Chloe's task: I was born and raised in Canada. Read a book set in Canada or by a Canadian author.

11. Claire's task: I was lucky enough to have travelled to Egypt and see first-hand the pyramids, tombs, and temples there. Read a book about Pharaoh, a book set in Egypt, or a book about archaeology.

12. Daph's task: I love reading (obviously!) Read a book recommended by a friend or family member.

13. Debra's task: My interest in serial killers led me to write to a few of them. Read a book about a serial killer or true crime.

14. Delitealex's task: I love to watch ghost shows on TV. Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book.

15. Diana's task: I am from Romania. Read a book by a Romanian author, about Romania's culture or about a famous Romanian.

16. D.G.'s task: I was born in the Dominican Republic. Read a book with a Hispanic author, character, or setting.

17. Eggp's task: I'm always trying to pester a certain friend to read/discuss books with me, but it's like pulling teeth. Read a book with a friend or participate in a buddy read.

18. Gail W's task: I am second generation Scotch/Irish and finally was able this summer to visit Ireland for the first time in my life. Read a book by an Irish writer.

19. Gilraens's task: I lived in three different countries (Netherlands, UK and New Zealand). Read a by an author from one of those three countries or set in one of those countries.

20. Gem's task: I was born in 1966. Read a book with a "6" (six) in the title or one that is set or published in 1966.

21. Greg's task: My brother was drafted in the Vietnam War and sent to Plieku where he got to participate in the Tet Offensive. Read a book about the Vietnam War or about conscription.

22. Gretchen's task: I have identical twin girls. Read a book featuring a main character who is an identical twin.

23. Hemangini's task: Read a book where a writer/author is the main protagonist.

24. Ilona's task: Ilona is a Hungarian female given name, the traditional name of the Queen of the Fairies in Magyar folklore. Read a book about fairy folklore.

25. Inkeri's task: Almost three years ago I decided to turn my life upside down and went back to school to become a radiographer. Physics is obviously a big part of my occupation. Read a book about physics.

26. Jennifer B's task: I have four siblings. Read a book about a big family.

27. Jennifer N’s task: I have red hair, which not many people do. Read a book where either the main character or the author has red hair.

28. Jenny's task: I've had a heart transplant. Read a book about surgery or the history of medicine.

29. Jessica's task: I grew up in Massachusetts, went to college in Montreal, and now live in Minnesota. Read a book that takes place somewhere that begins with the letter M or someplace where the winters are very cold.

30. Jill's task: My grandmothers parents came to America form Ireland. Read a book that takes place where one of your ancestor's lived.

31. Kadijah Michelle's task: I converted to Islam in my early 20s. Read a book about a Muslim woman.

32. Kristin's task: I really enjoy reading the stories that are "sprinkled" amongst the recipes in cookbooks. Read a cookbook with stories or a book about cooking.

33. Kylie's task: My favourite hobby is making shoes, since I have small feet and could never buy nice shoes. Read a book about someone who makes shoes, a book where shoes have an important role, or a (micro-)history of a shoe designer/brand.

34. Laura's task: I like to read book set in places I've actually visited. Read a book set somewhere you have visited or lived.

35. Lauri's task: I was born and raised in Hawaii, and live there still. Read a book set in Hawaii or on a tropical island.

36. Leona's task: My ancestor was Titian, the artist. Read a book about art.

37. Lindsay's task: I love animals. Read a book about or featuring an animal.

38. Lois' task: I am a genealogist. Read a story about a search for family history or discovering your past.

39. Mie's task: I have just been to the annual office Christmas party. Read a book that includes or features a party.

40. Nikinnia's task: I am a Southern, Black woman. Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South.

41. Nikki's task: My favorite thing about reading a good book is the escapism factor. I can go anywhere or live any adventure. Read a book where the main character gets transported to a different time or place.

42. Rachael's task: My name was popular in the 1990s, the decade in which I was born. Read a book published between 1990 and 1999.

43. Rebecca's task: I want to be an art teacher someday. Read a book where the main character enjoys creating art or is a teacher.

44. Rique's task: My mother and mother-in-law lived through most of the tumultuous 20th century. Read a book, fiction or historical fiction, taking place anywhere from the Great Depression through WWII (1929-1945).

45. Sarah's task: Growing up there were rumors that my great-grandmother had local mafia/mob connections. Read a book that is centered around the mafia/mob.

46. Sheila's task: I am a decades old first-generation citizen. Read a book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures.

47. Susy's task: I was raised in the Netherlands but both my parents are Portuguese. My primary language is Dutch but my first language or mother tongue was Portuguese. Read a book in your mother language/tongue.

Happy Reading!

Goal: 0 /3
1)???

Popsugar Reading Challenge

One of the most popular reading challenges is back! The 2018 Popsugar Reading Challenge contains 40 tasks to broaden your horizons and 10 additional book prompts for the “hardcore” readers out here!

1. A book made into a movie you’ve already seen
2. True crime
3. The next book in a series you started
4. A book involving a heist
5. Nordic noir
6. A novel based on a real person
7. A book set in a country that fascinates you
8. A book with a time of day in the title
9. A book about a villain or antihero
10. A book about death or grief
11. A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym
12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist
13. A book that is also a stage play or musical
14. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you
15. A book about feminism
16. A book about mental health
17. A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift
18. A book by two authors
19. A book about or involving a sport
20. A book by a local author
21. A book with your favorite color in the title
22. A book with alliteration in the title
23. A book about time travel
24. A book with a weather element in the title
25. A book set at sea
26. A book with an animal in the title
27. A book set on a different planet
28. A book with song lyrics in the titles
29. A book about or set in Halloween
30. A book with characters who are twins
31. A book mentioned in another book
32. A book from a celebrity book club
33. A childhood classic you’ve never read
34. A book that’s published in 2018
35. A past Goodreads Choice Awards winner
36. A book set in the decade you were born
37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn’t get to
38. A book with an ugly cover
39. A book that involves a bookstore or a library
40. You favorite prompt from the 2015, 2016, 2017 PopSugar Reading Challenges

Advanced
41. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school
42. A cyberpunk book
43. A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place
44. A book tied to your ancestry
45. A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title
46. An allegory
47. A book by an author with the same first or last name as you
48. A microhistory
49. A book about a problem facing society today
50. A book recommended by someone else taking the PopSugar Reading Challenge

Goal: 0 /6
1)???

message 5: by Arlo (last edited Jan 02, 2018 09:27PM) (new)

Arlo | 83 comments Quarterly Challenges Part 1

Places and Spaces
Duration: January 1, 2018 - March 31, 2018

Through books, we can travel anywhere. We often think of visiting different countries, or even different planets, but books can also take us on topographical journeys. For this challenge, see how many places and spaces you can visit. The place or space should be a primary element of the story or historical account and may include natural, man-made, and imaginary terrains and structures.

Here are some ideas to get you started; however, you may also think of your own:

The beach; an island or peninsula; a body of water; swampland or marsh; the desert; an extraterrestrial surface or environment (e.g., another planet, a star, space, etc.); underground; a cave; a mountains; the woods; a prairie or field; a glacier; a volcano; a single room, building, or other structure; a biological cell or organism; through time (i.e., time travel).

Let us know how many places and spaces you would like to visit.. Remember, the above are only suggestions - you can make your own as well! Excluded: Cities & Countries (e.g., New York City or Kenya)..

Goal: 0/3

Must Read Bookss
Duration: January 1, 2018 - March 31, 2018

You may have heard of Peter Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. Many of us probably have a personal challenge to read them all. This quarter, we want to help you with that goal.
For this challenge, read as many of the 1001 books as you can. Obviously, we don't expect you to read them all in three months, but let's see how many we can cross off our lists.
The complete list can be found here

Goal: 0/3

message 6: by Arlo (new)

Arlo | 83 comments Quarterly Challenges Part 2

message 7: by Arlo (last edited Jan 03, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

Arlo | 83 comments January Challenges

Marathon Challenge
Duration: January 1 - January 31, 2018

This is such a hit every year, that we thought we would kick off the year again with a running start! How often is it our New Year's Resolution to read more books? How many of us set goals higher than we did last year? How many of us want to read that super long classic that has been sitting on our bookshelf collecting dust, or spend a winter day curled up on the couch with a pile of graphic novels? Let's start 2018 with a marathon of reading!

With long holiday breaks coming, pick a pile of books that you feel you could snuggle up with: a nice over-500-page book, a stack of books under 100 pages, or those books that have been on your TBR list for way too long. Anything you choose is fair game!

This is not a sprint, but a way to spend January in the pages! Pick the number of pages or books you would like to read in January and post them below. The goal is to make fast progress on your reading goals in the New Year. Who would have thought that by hurrying up and sitting with a book, that you could do a marathon?

Goal 1/6
1) PathFinder

message 8: by Arlo (new)

Arlo | 83 comments February Challenges

message 9: by Arlo (new)

Arlo | 83 comments March Challenges

message 10: by Arlo (new)

Arlo | 83 comments April Challenges

message 11: by Arlo (new)

Arlo | 83 comments May Challenges

message 12: by Arlo (new)

Arlo | 83 comments June Challenges