Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 archive > January Challenge - I finished!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments This thread is to mark your completion of the January challenge for the prompt: "Nordic Noir." You can join in with the group read of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or pick a different book to satisfy this challenge.

Please include the following:

Title:
Author:
Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Why or why not?
Would you recommend?

No other posts in this thread please!

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Ventura | 20 comments I was not familiar with Nordic Noir and I wasn't too interested in it at the beginning, so I had a hard time finding one to read. I went with The Boy in the Suitcase. It wasn't a bad book and was a pretty quick read. The beginning was too jumpy for me, but I eventually got in to it. I am not sure if it would be a genre I would choose to read, but I am sure with the right book I could be persuaded. :)

message 3: by Karen (last edited Jan 03, 2018 11:37AM) (new)

Karen (readingaway84) | 10 comments Title: The Bat (book 1 in Inspector Harry Hole series)
Author: Jo Nesbo
Will I read Nordic Noir again? Maybe...I usually go for light and fluffy reads, so I was dreading the Nordic Noir prompt, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. So while it's not my typical cup of tea, I may read more of the genre, particularly more books in the Inspector Harry Hole series.

Would I recommend: Yes, but I have heard the series gets better as Harry's character is more developed, so maybe read one of the latter books in the series if you are looking only to fulfill the prompt. Maybe the later books are only better because you see his character growth from the earlier novels- IDK?

message 4: by ila (new)

ila | 23 comments The ice princess
by Camilla Lanckberg

it’s my first attempt at a nordic noir, and it wasn’t bad at all. It’s more a detective story (in the style I associate with Alicia Gimenez Bartlett or my favorite Tana French) than what I would call a noir: actually, I usually get annoyed at the kind of obvious nitty-grittiness that characterizes the typical, deeply flawed noir charchters. I think I’ll read nordic noir books again, maybe moving from Sweden to Norway and Iceland.

message 5: by ila (new)

ila | 23 comments The ice princess, by Camilla Lackberg

my first attempt at a nordic noir, and it wasn’t bad at all.

It’s more a detective story (in the style I associate with Alicia Gimenez Bartlett or my favorite Tana French) than what I would call a noir: actually, I usually get annoyed at the kind of obvious nitty-grittiness that characterizes the typical, deeply flawed noir charachters.

I think I’ll read nordic noir books again, maybe moving from Sweden to Norway and Iceland.

message 6: by Isabell (last edited Jan 04, 2018 11:17PM) (new)

Isabell | 27 comments The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

I had no clue what Nordic Noir meant untill the discussions poped up. I have never read any nordic noir before. I even thought this must be hard... as a fantasy lover who maybe read a hand full of crime novels. But I'm so enthusiastic about this challenge as a new member this year - I threw myself in and checked the German title. Verblendung meaning blinding and headed to the library. Roughly 1,5 days later I'm in love. First 100 pages might be a bit much of financials and journalism but then oh then... I recommend it and it will definitly not be my last nordic noir.

message 7: by Juliet (last edited Jan 05, 2018 02:45AM) (new)

Juliet | 17 comments The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg.

Yes, I will definitely read more in the future. I'm disappointed in myself for having left aside this genre until now.

I love thrillers and crime stories and I get sucked in when it takes place in a small town where dozen of gritty secrets are hidden... I didn't care much for the romance part of the book, but maybe it can appeal to people who are afraid of the genre. It adds a bit of lightness - not that the story is particulary dark. I think this book can be a good introduction to Nordic Noir while being a fairly easy read.

message 8: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 05, 2018 11:16AM) (new)

Rebecca Kiefer | 118 comments Title: My First Murder

Author: Leena Lehtolainen, translated from the Finnish by Owen Witesman

Noir isn't something I enjoy enough to seek out for its own sake, but as I work on my Around the World project, I wouldn't mind reading another for another Nordic country.

Would you recommend?
I think this book probably suffered from first-in-a-series-itis. It seemed like a standard thriller, with an unique-for-me setting. There was some casual racism that made me uncomfortable, but otherwise I think I'd recommend.

message 9: by Rose (new)

Rose W | 71 comments Faceless Killers
Henning Mankell

I did enjoy reading this genre. I am not inspired enough to read the next book in this series right away - but totally see me reading more of this series and this genre in the future. I loved the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.

Would you recommend? I would recommend this book. Not only did it fit the genre, but also had a touch of nationalism/foreigners that is a hot topic in the world right now.

reply | flag *

message 10: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 06, 2018 06:47PM) (new)

Kimberly | 24 comments Title: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson
Author: Larsson
Yes, this book was so well done that I would like to continue the series and see how Saladar fairs, but it will be a little while before I return to this characters.
Would you recommend? Yes, but only to those who can handle dark sexual assault and murder scenes. This was a bit much for me, but I was so compelled to press through and see the outcome.

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara | 7 comments Title: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Author: Stieg Larsson

Nordic Noir was not a category I was really looking forward to. However, I will read it again as I do plan to pick up the remaining two books in this series. I am very happy PopSugar included it as a category, otherwise I would've been unlikely to read it!

I would recommend this book. I didn't love the relationship parts (they seemed to be written a bit childish and because of that, took away from the main focus of the book) and the darkness of the sexual assaults could be very off putting to an unaware reader (I saw the movie first so I knew what was coming).

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber | 33 comments Title: The Ice Princess
Author: Camilla Läckberg

Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again?

I was honestly dreading this prompt as I don't really read crime novels and get pretty queasy at the thought of serial killers and the like. I researched titles for a while and found that this one was a bit lighter. I was pleasantly surprised with this book and ended up really liking it. While I probably won't read more noir in general I might read the other two books in this series.

Why or why not?
While there are still some grittier themes in the book they aren't explicit for the most part so it was a lot more palatable than what I'm gleaning from others impressions of some of the other books in the genre.

Would you recommend?
Yep, as an entry level noir.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Carik | 1 comments Title: Out Came the Wolves
Author: Jesper Ersgård

I went with this book because I had already read “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”. This was good...though not as good as TGWTDT. It had some predictable twists, but it was fast, easy, and kept me interested.

Since I read the series of TGWTDT, this is technically only my 4th venture into Nordic Noir. I’ll probably read more...including the next book in this series.

message 14: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 264 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
I might read the next book in the series just to sate my curiosity about where the relationship between the main characters go from where this book left off but otherwise, probably not. I don't read a lot of murder mysteries to begin with.
Would you recommend? I know so many people enjoyed this book but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I found it rather slow in the beginning and it dragged on at the end after the action was over. I did enjoy the middle and the twist.

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily Dixon  | 28 comments I just finished The Bat by Jo Nesbo.

Would I read Nordic Noir again? Yeah I would and I probably will. I'm not the biggest crime fan in the world but I can get into it now and again and I'll probably read a few more from this series. I also really want to read The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye and The Man Who Died.

I've been getting quite frustrated recently with twee English-type murder mysteries, so I'll probably go Nordic Noir if I ever want a crime novel in future!

Would I recommend it? This particular book probably not so much, but the other ones I've read in this series I would and this one was probably just a blip. It being set in Australia meant that its 'nordic-ness' was a bit dialled down and I found the plot a little too silly, but The Snowman was much better and I'd recommend that one.

message 16: by Britta (new)

Britta | 91 comments Verblendung (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) by Stieg Larsson (german ed.)

Yes, it is and I will. This book, or better the whole trilogy was on my TBR pile for years, ever since I saw the swedish movie versions on tv. They get repeated ever so often and I'm hooked every time I catch them, along with all the Wallander versions and the Beck series. I like the moody-broody characters and unpedictable twists.
The only set back with this was that I already knew what happens and 'who done it'

Would you recommend?

Only to people who aren't easily squicked by violence and disturbing themes.

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Yes, I want to finish the series.

Would you recommend? I think a ton of people already read this book!

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Eagen | 11 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I think so! I'll probably wait to continue this series because they're so lengthy and I have way too many books I'm itching to read. But I enjoyed the style and the intrigue (minus the brutalism which was at times a bit much).

Would you recommend?
Not sure- there are a lot of triggers in this book and I also feel like so many people have already seen the movie. But I would recommend the genre.

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

This is my first Nordic Noir book and I had attempted to read it before but only made it 50 pages in and lost interest but I am enthusiastic to do the challenge this year and read outside my comfort zone so I gave it another try. The beginning was slow but after that I loved it! I will read the remainder of the series.

message 20: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 178 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I don't know that I would purposely seek out Nordic Noir books but I wouldn't necessarily run away from them. I do like dark books and murder mysteries which seem to be most of the books in the this genre so I'm sure I'll come across it again.

Would you recommend?
This is a difficult question for me - I would have to go with probably not. I did not much care for the financial/scandal part of the book. The strong, dark, sexual assault undertones are definitely not for everyone and there were a ton of sexual assault and rape scenes that a lot of people wouldn't be able to handle/would prefer not to read.

message 21: by Gabi (new)

Gabi (eeclayton) | 30 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

And I second Taylor's comment, I agree with every word.

message 22: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (Lacermom) | 4 comments Title: Män som hatar kvinnor (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)

Yes probably and I have already read a couple of them. There are many good authors left to explore. Camilla Läckberg is one that I still need to read from.

Would you recommend? This book is the best in the triology, at least from my perspective. It was good to read the book and it adds details to the movie (which I have seen a couple of times)

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (klhime) | 9 comments I took the suggestion to read The Boy in the Suitcase because it's not "too graphic" and I'm glad I did! After reading the Lisbeth Salander books a few years back, I was really put off the genre due to its common brutality. While there's nothing easy about a story that starts with discovering a little boy in a suitcase, I generally enjoyed it. The protagonist was interesting and relateable. The plot twisted enough to keep me engaged, even though you can connect the dots quickly. it was a fast read that kept me up way too late finishing. I surprised myself by checking out the next in the series almost immediately.

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan Bowder | 51 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Why or why not? I will read Nordic Noir again. I am looking forward to reading the next in the series. I'm willing to try other books in this genre as well.
Would you recommend? I would recommend the book to some, but don't think it is to everyone's taste.

message 25: by Angie (new)

Angie | 6 comments Title: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Definitely!
Why or why not? It's a genre I have never read before, but I couldn't put it down! The bleakness of the settings and the horrific violence seemed to make all of the small displays of affection and tenderness so much more poignant while still being understated and beautiful. I fell in love with the characters (Lisbeth in particular) and will be devouring the rest of the series in no time, I'm sure. I'm also going to try out some other books in this genre.
Would you recommend? To certain people, I think. I know some are uncomfortable with the violence and sexual aspects but if they are willing to give it a try I would definitely recommend it!

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Title: The Legacy
Author: Yrsa Sigurdardottir
I went with this book because I’ve read Stieg Larson’s books and also Jo Nesbo and wanted to challenge myself to a new author. I love noir, so this challenge was up my so-called alley.
This book was very graphic, violent and hard to get through. I read a light SciFi in between chapters to finish it. Don’t want to add too much here except to say you’d need a strong stomach to read this. I won’t be reading the rest of the series.

message 27: by Tonya (last edited Jan 14, 2018 02:06PM) (new)

Tonya (bookasaurustonya) | 80 comments Title: The Son

Author: Jo Nesbø

Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Why or why not? Definitely! I love crime novels and I really enjoyed this book. I've added a few other books by Jo Nesbo to my TBR as well. I was nervous about it at first because I was under the impression that Nordic Noir is really dark and complicated (Idk where I got this from lol) and just not enjoyable, but honestly it's a lot like regular crime/thriller books that I've read in the past only set in Norway. It's not sunshine and rainbows (although there are some funny parts) but it's far from being the darkest/most graphic novel I've ever read.

Would you recommend? Yes! I gave The Son 4.5 stars. It was a kind of slow start and there were a lot of characters to keep up with, but once the action picked up I was completely addicted and couldn't put it down.

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  | 34 comments Title: The Boy in the Suitcase

Author: Lene Kaaberol and Agneete Friis

Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Why or why not? Yes! I've already read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series so I knew I liked the genre.

Would you recommend? Definitely! A good mystery that I couldn't put down at all during the second half. Fast-paced, unique, and atmospheric. Not too graphically violent. Female-centered.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Buley | 41 comments Title: The Bat
Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Why or why not? Yes, I really enjoy every book I have read from this genre so far.
Would you recommend? I would recommend this book to the right people. It wasn't my favorite, but I've heard great things about the later books in the series so I'll be giving them a go.

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Title: The Hummingbird
Authorr: Kati Hiekkapelto

Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Why or why not? -

Yes I would. I like detective novels in general and have already read the Millenium series. I don't think the book I read was a great example of the genre because it wasn't too grim. I have read much darker books from Tana French and Gillian Flynn.

I will read the next book in the series The Defenceless because I already bought it not realising that is was the second book of the series. I think I probably could have read it as a stand alone but I like to read book series chronologically so that's when I went back and read the first. Apparently this series improves when she gets a better translator.

Would you recommend?
I found this book quite forgettable I liked the overarching theme of racism of immigration but the central mystery never really grabbed me.

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Why or why not? It is not my cup of tea for sure. The mystery was good, but it was too dark for my taste.

Would you recommend? It's a well-written book so I would recommend to people who like dark, gritty thrillers.

message 32: by Caitlin (last edited Jan 15, 2018 12:20PM) (new)

Caitlin (catielane) | 60 comments Title: Dregs
Author: Jorn Lier Horst

Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Yes and no

Why or why not? I've wanted to read The Bat by Jo Nesbø for a while so I'm definitely going to. If my exposure to the genre had been this one book, I would not read anymore. It was slow and slightly boring. I never wanted to turn the page to read more, I just turned the page so I could finish the book.

Would you recommend? To the right person, maybe? Otherwise no, no I would not.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Title:Mind's Eye

Author:Håkan Nesser

I enjoyed the book overall more than I thought I would. It was quite dark in places, but not much more gruesome in detail than, say, your average Agatha Christie. (And I didn't hate the main character, which is always a plus.)

My only real disappointment with the book is that after trying to find a Nordic Noir mystery with no explicit sexual content, it still contained a few paragraphs of such content. If I can manage to find more Nordic Noir like this, but without the explicit content, I would definitely read more. (I'm going to try The Boy in the Suitcase based on a recommendation in another thread.)

Would you recommend?
I don't think I know anyone personally who would enjoy this book, but in theory I might recommend it, to the right person.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 623 comments Title: The Snowman
Author: Jo Nesbo
Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Why or why not?: I'm on the fence. I wasn't a huge fan of the style but I liked the overall storyline, and some of the other books in the series seem somewhat interesting. I'm definitely not in a rush to read anymore.
Would you recommend?: Yes, but be prepared for it to be a bit slow in places.

message 35: by Biblio-Bound (new)

Biblio-Bound | 25 comments Title: Flaggermusmannen
Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Yes
Why or why not? It was a fun read.
Would you recommend? Yes, it was a good beginning to a series, I would like to continue.

message 36: by Alison (last edited Jan 15, 2018 08:03PM) (new)

Alison | 6 comments Title: I’m Traveling Alone
Author: Samuel Bjork

Read again? Yes.
Why or why not? I was not familiar with Nordic noir before the challenge. I really liked this book and read it pretty quickly. It’s the first in the Mia Kruger and Holger Munch series. I liked these two and the supporting characters who make up their investigative team. The story was intriguing, and as the genre suggests, a dark mystery. I would not describe it as filled with twists and turns, but nonetheless it was engaging.
Would you recommend? I would recommend this book and the genre in general. I have already added the second book in the series, The Owl Always Hunts at Night, to my list for a book with an animal in the title. Looking forward to seeing Mia and Holger crack another case!

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 31 comments Title: The Snowman

Absolutely. I love this genre. However, I need to make sure to balance it with lighter fare, as it can often be intense and depressing.

Would you recommend?
This one was amazing. I read it in one sitting, mainly because I couldn't put it down! I'd definitely tell people to give this one a try.

message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 26 comments Title: Last Rituals
Author: Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

I've read some Nordic Noir before, including The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and enjoy watching TV and movies in this genre. However, I'm not a mystery reader by nature. I may one day pick up the rest of the Millennium series, since I did think GWDT was really well written. But, as a whole, this isn't really a genre I enjoy reading as much as I do watching.

Would you recommend?
I would absolutely not recommend Last Rituals. It was a really poorly written book--the protagonist's character didn't even really have sound rationale for being part of the murder investigation!

message 39: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Yes. I enjoy grittier novels, and I get the impression that this was one of the tamer ones. I mean, my mother recommended it to me!

Would you recommend? Yes

message 40: by Diane (new)

Diane | 71 comments Title: Nightblind Nightblind (Dark Iceland #2) by Ragnar Jónasson
Author: Ragnar Jónasson
Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Why or why not? Yes, I would read again. I enjoy a mystery or thriller. This series doesn't seem to have a lot of explicit scenes.
Would you recommend? Yes, to those who like a thriller.

message 41: by Allie (new)

Allie | 52 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Is Nordic Noir a genre you'll read from again? Why or why not? It's a good possibility. I just got kind of confused when it came to Swedish idioms and places, but it does seem like a good setting to have thrillers.

Would you recommend? Yes, to those who like thrillers that are slower paced.

message 42: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (a_bookish_shelf) | 26 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoop

I don’t know if it will be a regular inclusion into my reading, but I would certainly consider it depending on the book. I will certainly be reading the other books in the series.

Would you recommend?
This series/genre is not for everyone but I would recommend it. Just might include warnings in my recommendation.

message 43: by AnneElisabeth (new)

AnneElisabeth | 24 comments Title:Utmarker
Author: Arne Dahl
Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Yes. Why or why not? I have always loved crime books, and I like the suspense in nordic noir.
Would you recommend? I would highly recommend this book. I found it to be outstanding.

message 44: by Heather (last edited Jan 24, 2018 06:29AM) (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 715 comments Title: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Why or why not? Would you recommend?
I can't say I enjoyed this book, but I can say I finished! I don't like mysteries or gritty tones so I was pretty much destined to dislike this prompt. But reading new books is what the challenge is about for me so I feel accomplished even though I'm not crazy about the genre.

message 45: by Shaylee (new)

Shaylee Ann | 8 comments I admit I had to do some research on the "Nordic Noir" category before picking a book. I was happy to recognize The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as an option to fit this category and again it worked out that it was chosen as the book for the January reading challenge. Being from the United States it was a challenge understanding some of the geographic references and history of Sweden but I was also in a rushed yet committed place when reading the book as I was intrigued enough not to want to put it down but should be studying for the NCLEX so I did not take my time looking up any additional information for my understanding. I may reread the book someday if I have the time to read it at a slower pace. I would only recommend this genre to someone looking to broaden their scope and with an interest in mysteries.

message 46: by Kellene (new)

Kellene Nordic Noir was a new category for me, and I knew from the beginning it was going to be a tough one. I read mysteries, but I'm a cozy reader because graphic writing bothers me a great deal as I'm getting older. I chose to read The Keeper of Lost Causes. It wasn't overly violent, but still not my taste. The book was good, although I felt like it was the longest book I've ever read and I don't forsee myself continuing in the series. I would recommend it to readers of the genre or those who don't mind more graphic novels.

message 47: by WVrambler (new)

WVrambler | 61 comments Title: Faceless Killers
Author: Henning Mankell
Is Nordic Noir a genre you will read from again? Why or why not? No, I didn't really like it. I know I'm used to 'cozy mysteries', but I just really could not connect with the characters. I listened to the end just to find out the solution to the crime, but it left me feeling very unsatisfied.
Would you recommend? No

message 48: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 6 comments The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

I had heard of Nordic Noir before this challenge but I wasn't sure exactly what it meant. I have never read any nordic noir before but I enjoy thrillers. I did enjoy the book. It was tough to get into at the start but got much better. I didn't enjoy how dark it got. I am willing to read another Nordic Noir but I would be more cautious the next time around.

message 49: by John (new)

John | 79 comments I had never heard of the category of Nordic Noir before this challenge, but I had heard of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and had been interested in reading it. So I did choose to read that and I'm definitely going to read it more because I would like to finish the trilogy.

message 50: by John (new)

John | 79 comments I forgot to mention why I'd read it again and if I'd recommend it. Yes I'd most definitely would recommend it because I loved this book. I felt it was kind of slow in it's build up but once it gets going it really takes off.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.