Ink in My Veins discussion

Writing > Why Do You Write?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 220 (220 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I've heard many reasons for writer's writing, so I'm curious to hear more! Here are mine (this is another post that I copied from another group since I typed it up a while back):

I write to release.

The current book I'm writing (Alive) is a release of my built up emotions given to me by my best guy friend, "Parker". When I write how they deal with things together or how Jessica reacts to things I'm releasing how I feel, my tension, and my wishes. The emotions I write are an attempt to at least make them less built up in my life.

I write for the pure enjoyment.

Some may say, "I write to get away from the real world." For the most part, I write to delve deeper into it. Sure, I may add some vampires or witches here and there (if it's a sci-fi, fantasy, or adventure that's rather likely) but over-all I'm writing to figure out how life works and how to get through situations I may be faced with.

I write to tell the hard things and make a point.

Though reading what I've written right now, sure, it seems like I'm rather soft with what actually happens to my characters. In Alive Jess is nearly raped (but saved by Parker), and Parker and her get into some trouble during a make-out session. Though it may be simple things to some, for me they are large leaps. After all, I'm only fifteen. I try to make it clean enough so that any audience in the teen arena can read it and not have their virgin eyes no longer be virgin; that sort of thing. But while writing it to be clean, I also don't want to lie, or not tell the truth. Teenagers get into trouble, or are put into situations that are difficult and I don't want people to be numb to that fact. I try to get points across, and I'm not going to act oblivious to real-world issues. I just try to make it cleaner, as well.

I write to touch people.

If I can merely make one reader happy, I'm satisfied. Though more numbers are obviously fantastic, when I can touch just one life, whether through the emotions of the story or something that happens within it, I'm glad. I write to touch and help people realize that even though there are bad things in the world, it's possible to get through them and for there to be a happy ending. It might not be permanent, but at least that happy ending is possible in the long run! Then life doesn't seem so dreary.

I write to thrill.

In a new book I'm plotting out I'm focusing on the psychological-thriller genre. It's called The Window, and it's based on an experience I recently had (though it leads into much more than it was in real life) with someone breaking into the basement of a house I was babysitting in with my best friend, and how they find out, and what happens when the person/people become obsessed with the girls. It'll be my first time really trying to scare the audience, but when I can make someone get scared or nervous for the main character, I'll be a happy camper! I want the excitement of knowing that I truly can portray emotions through my words and move someone, whether to be fearful, or disturbed, or sad, or happy. But thrilling is one of my goals, right now!

I write to live.

If I couldn't write I'd probably have no real excitement in my life. Sure, I love other things, but not NEARLY as much as writing. Writing is my truest and deepest passion and it will always remain that way.

message 2: by ♫Krista♫, the Great and Powerful Empress of Silliness :P (new)

♫Krista♫ (kristabobista) | 1754 comments Mod
Thats pretty much the reasons why I write too.
I write to get all of my built up emotions out. Espescially when Im really into something, then I feel more like my character, and feel more into my plot. Like when I write I pour out all of everything because I wouldnt be able to get it out in real life.
Also I write to live, everything you just said is exactly the same way with me.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel that writing is letting out the hidden emotions that we hide. I'd rather write what I feel in a hidden pretense than cry or get mad. If I am over emotional, I put on page. I portray my feelings through my characters. That's why I write...

message 4: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments I write so I can make the voices in my head shut up. :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

same with Jayda. (btw looove Alive)

i also write to calm myself...and being able to make ur own world with different mishaps- i love that 2.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I like creating a world completely opposite from the one that I live in. I have a boring life most of the time, so I come up with things and places that I would want in my life.

message 7: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments I also love creating new and complex worlds. :) It's fun to come up with background stories and such. :D

message 8: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Abbee *abz* wrote: "same with Jayda. (btw looove Alive)

i also write to calm myself...and being able to make ur own world with different mishaps- i love that 2."

Aw, thanks! =P You just made my day a bit better ^^

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

ahaha. why isnt ur day good???

message 10: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Allergies x.x And an on-again, off-again headache due to them... And my writer's block is kind of drifting forward here and there a bit... I'm trying to write and finish Alive but I'm have a bit of a difficult time, so I just added some scenes in earlier chapters with Aunt Mary and revised the flashback of when Parker saved Jess from the car when they were younger ^^

message 11: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments Jayda wrote: "Allergies x.x And an on-again, off-again headache due to them... And my writer's block is kind of drifting forward here and there a bit... I'm trying to write and finish Alive but I'm have a bit of..."

ooh, i have allergies too. i'm not sure what i'm allergic too. O_o i keep sneezing though ... weird.

cool! good luck with your editing. :) did you post what you added?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

ewwwie. allergies. i dont have any. u shud come to my house and play with my baby niece she's A-dorable. i looove her. she'll make u laugh.

message 13: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments awwww!! <3 i love babies. XD I have a baby brother. his name is Teddy. and he's the cutest thing. aaahhh ^_^

message 14: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I got tested for allergies when I was 10 or 11 and I found out that I have all of the basic allergies except for horses. That would include dogs, cats, grass, wheat, pollen, flowers, etcetera... It's not bad enough to where I can't have any of that (I have a dog and I had a cat before he died a few months ago) but I used to go get allergy shots twice a week for them, which is why I assume they're a bit better. But it's still bad enough to make my nose all itchy, stingy, running, sneezy... I can handle that. That thing I hate most with allergies is the watery eyes! I HATE it! I've started taking allergy meds and they've seemed to help.

Aw, your niece? I LOVE babies! They're so cute ^^

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

ya. she's 11 months old and she's staying at my house till the end of august and i looove her!

message 16: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments Jayda wrote: "I got tested for allergies when I was 10 or 11 and I found out that I have all of the basic allergies except for horses. That would include dogs, cats, grass, wheat, pollen, flowers, etcetera... It..."

ooh that sucks. :( i'm sorry. oh yeah, watery eyes are terrible. i hate when you get watery eyes and you're at school and everyone's like "omg are you crying??" and you have to keep yelling at people "NO! I'M NOT CRYING!!! I HAVE ALLERGIES!!!!!" *sigh*

haha babies are adorable. :P

message 17: by Niki (new)

Niki I have the cutest baby cousin on the face of the earth. I'm not biased, either (maybe a little). But people actually stop my aunt and go, 'What a gorgeous daughter! She's so cute.' It's hilarious.

message 18: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments :D haha
i bet my brother's cuter ... lol jk. maybe. XD

message 19: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I bet the babies I've babysat since they were born are the cutest! xD jkjk... kind of ^^

message 20: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments lol

message 22: by Niki (new)

Niki Josie's cuter.

message 23: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments XD

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

He is very cute!

message 26: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments Megan wrote: "He is very cute!"

haha ik XD

message 27: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments Holly wrote: "Here...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid..."

AWWWWW!!!! SO CUTE!! XD

message 28: by Niki (new)

Niki I know. Teddy is really cute too, but I have to remain loyal to my Josie Beth.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Aww, I am not a very good judge. I can't tell which one is cuter. I want them both!!! LOL

message 30: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments lol

message 31: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments Holly wrote: "I know. Teddy is really cute too, but I have to remain loyal to my Josie Beth."

fiiine ... :P haha jk. Josie Beth is adorable. :D

message 32: by Niki (new)

Niki Josie Beth also spits up like there is no tomorrow. Like, more than normal baby spit up.

message 33: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments Holly wrote: "Josie Beth also spits up like there is no tomorrow. Like, more than normal baby spit up."

lol! teddy doesn't really spit up anymore ... actually he never really spit up all that much.

message 34: by Niki (new)

Niki How old is Teddy?

message 35: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments 1 year

message 36: by Niki (new)

Niki Oh, Josie is only 8 months.

message 37: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments :) aww

message 38: by Niki (new)

Niki Yep. She lives in Idaho, and I live in Michigan, so we don't see each other much. I saw her right after she was born and then again a month ago.

message 39: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments haha. i get to see teddy every daaaay. lol

message 40: by Niki (new)

Niki Lucky. My small brother is nine and not cute at all.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

ahaha.

message 42: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments i have a thirteen-year-old sister, an eleven-year-old sister, a five-year-old brother, a three-year-old sister, and a 1-year-old brother. :) And ahhh ... I guess they're all cute in their own ways. lolz.

message 43: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Haha xD I have a twelve-year-old sister who's turning thirteen in September. That's it ^^

message 44: by Niki (new)

Niki Wow. Brigid! Huge family! I'm jealous.

message 45: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 338 comments haha XD yeahhh ...

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

ya ur lucky to have cute siblings younger than u!

i have a 15 soon to 16 older brother and a 19 yr old sister who goes to Harvard.

message 47: by Niki (new)

Niki Your sister goes to Harvard? Wow.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

yea, she's really smart..but cool. she's kinda a shopaholic. lol!

message 49: by Niki (new)

Niki Hahaha

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

i need help..i dunno how to go on with my story..

« previous 1 3 4 5