The Magical Universe of Books discussion

Bulletin Board (general chat) > THE GREETINGS AND IDLE CHAT THREAD 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 494 (494 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Groovy (last edited Dec 31, 2017 02:46PM) (new)

Groovy Lee Is it 2018 already? Goodness gracious. Well, Orinoco made it plain that it's my turn to start this new thread. So, here it is. I hope everyone takes a moment out to say what's on their mind. Come on, don't be shy, just don't be mean and nasty:) Will this year be any different for you than 2017? What do you hope to accomplish?

So, who's first? Ori?

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments Meee!
This year I hope to continue to grow as a person and maybe establish some good behaviours, like walking more. I don't make resolutions, because that for me is a ticket to failure town.
I'm just gonna take it as it comes and try not to sweat the small stuff.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 65 comments Happy new year to all the magical group members.

Different from last year? I can hope for more time; if you have any spare, please send it to me.

Hope to accomplish? Complete my work-in-progress. Read more.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "Happy new year to all the magical group members.

Different from last year? I can hope for more time; if you have any spare, please send it to me.

Hope to accomplish? Complete my work-in-progress...."

Hey Anna! I've missed you!
Another wish: any rain y'all have going spare, please send it to us, clearly marked "Sevilla Capital" so it gets here, where I can hear it and see it and smell it--not up in the mountains somewhere. Our clouds usually snag up there and never get down into the valley at all.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 65 comments It's torrenting here, Orinoco! I'd love to be able to send you some.

message 6: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Me, too! If I could send you our rainy season, I would:)

Hi, Anna:)

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 65 comments Hi Groovy, I'm recovering from Christmas... and more.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "Hi Groovy, I'm recovering from Christmas... and more."

Our decorations don't come down until the 6th. Don't tell DH but I can't wait. They've been up since Nov 20 and the tree etc takes up quite a chunk of our small sitting room.

message 9: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee My biggest problem is I'm not active enough. I don't exercise like I should. I purchased an exercise bike, sat on it once, and now IT sits alone. I just don't have the emotional energy to do any type of exercise. I don't know how I'm still breathing:)

I hope your father is okay.

message 10: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "Happy new year to all the magical group members.

Hope to accomplish? Complete my work-in-progress...."

Hi Anna, I hope you don't mind this interruption.

Happy New Years, time is relative the more you have the more you want. I will use a line my boss used at work, do more with less. if there were any less workers there would be no one to do the work how can I do more with less when I am the only one? He told me to shut up and get to work, everybody is a critic, lol.

May your new year shine with the light of 1,000 stars.

message 11: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments Groovy we are our own worst enemy, It took me a long time to get up the courage to quite smoking. Now smoke free for 4 months. It is one step at a time you have the exercise bike step one accomplished. The way to move forward is to put a book on the handles of the bike that will get you sitting on it then nature will take it's course. You will put your feet on the peddles to rest you feet as it is natural then they will slowly start moving on there own.

Simple right I know I am talking c@%$.

I hope you are having a good new years.

message 12: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments Ori, I would love to send you some of our rain but I don't think it will work. Here is an alternative move to the mountains and avoid the valley the air is cooler and fresher the rain is regular and you will be more comfortable.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments I wish I could! My dream is a stone house in the mountains. Dream on. We can hardly afford to live in this brick and cardboard apartment.

Groovy, set your exercise bike in front of the TV and peddle through whatever show you like, even the news is half an hour. Set yourself a goal of 5 min. Anyone can put up with anything for five minutes, right?

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 65 comments Groovy, get on that bike girl! With TV or book as mrbooks and Orinoco suggest.

I hula hoop to music or TV (books are too difficult to read while wobbling around).

message 15: by Groovy (last edited Jan 04, 2018 11:09AM) (new)

Groovy Lee Thank-you, everyone, that is soooo encouraging. And you're right, of course. Okay, I just sold the bike--LOL!!! But, I purchased a Just Dance video, and there are free exercise videos on YouTube and Roku, so all is not lost:)

I'm going to do this!!!! Root for me!!

mrbooks, I'm glad you gave up that habit. I lost my first love, my grandmother, to her smoking. She just could not kick it. 4 months is cause for celebration. Keep up the good work, I'm rooting for you!!

Anna, hula hooping sounds fun. I wish I could see that.

Okay, Orinoco, you're encouraging me. What is your exercise routine, if you care to share with us:)

message 16: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) wrote: "I wish I could! My dream is a stone house in the mountains. Dream on. We can hardly afford to live in this brick and cardboard apartment.

Groovy, set your exercise bike in front of the TV and pedd..."

Ori, Shelters of Stone by Jean Auel yes you to can live in the mountains very interesting theory wouldn't mind trying it my self. I don't think my wife would be to happy about it though.

message 17: by mrbooks (last edited Jan 04, 2018 03:17PM) (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments I don't exercise I drag my butt to work everyday walk five miles or so around the store and lift boxes all day. By the time I get home I'm worn out LOL.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments Currently I have a deal with my 13 yr old student. She has to do tongue exercises for a certain period before they'll take her braces off (don't ask me!) so the deal is, if she does those, I will take the stairs whenever possible. Her dad works for the Min of Health and he says going downstairs is actually more beneficial than going up, as your leg muscles work harder! (But he IS in the Min of Health, not sure if he has the research or if he's just repeating the latest tag.)
Mostly I walk. Haven't been over Christmas as DH and I have both been fighting heavy colds.

message 19: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Have a safe weekend, everyone. Hope you and hubby get better, Ori:)

Is it me, or does it seem as if Oprah is doing WW halfway? I had friends who were on WW and they lost a whole half of themselves in a matter of a month. She still looks the same size as when she started. Just saying...

message 20: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments LOL wouldn't know Groovy don't watch Oprah.

message 21: by Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) (last edited Jan 06, 2018 12:51AM) (new)

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments mrbooks wrote: "LOL wouldn't know Groovy don't watch Oprah."

I don't either (thankfully it's not an option here) but from what I have read and seen, OW is the yo-yo dieter's yo-yo dieter. That, and she appears to "really believe" whatever new concept is wandering through her brain at any given moment...

message 22: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Amen, Ori. No truer words have ever been spoken. Who knows what it'll be next.

message 23: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) wrote: "mrbooks wrote: "LOL wouldn't know Groovy don't watch Oprah."

I don't either (thankfully it's not an option here) but from what I have read and seen, OW is the yo-yo dieter's yo-yo dieter. That, an..."

From what I have seen, most diets don't work. But I am a man who doesn't need to diet. From what I have seen and read, it is not what you eat but how much of what you eat that matters.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments Ever notice how if there's a flu epidemic it's never local? Growing up we had the Hong Kong flu, the Asian flu...in the English speaking world the pandemic of 1915 was known as the Spanish flu (which caused astonishment when I brought it up here in Spain, I can tell you!)...and now the local flu epidemic is being called the Australian flu! We've both had it. It's an odd one; not necessarily high fever but barking like a seal, trouble sleeping, joint pain like you wouldn't believe, etc. I'm just glad it hit us during the holiday break, which here is 3 weeks. Our "Christmas" holidays ended yesterday with Epiphany, which is when the kids get their toys. At least this year it's on a weekend so they had 2 days to play instead of having to go back to school the very next day!

We are just about getting better.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments Groovy wrote: "Amen, Ori. No truer words have ever been spoken. Who knows what it'll be next."

Gotta remember too that talkshow hosts are paid to puff things. They don't have the actual time to read all those books, watch all those movies, listen to all those CDs they're pushing (which is what chatshows do, they push stuff at the public). They have those assistants who feed them the info they need to do the shows.

message 26: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments Hey spread the wealth, in a manner of speaking. If you can get someone else to watch and read for you then take what they say and edit it and call it your own then get paid millions for it what would you do? Me I would be jumping all over that band wagon LOL. Yes I know I am a greedy bugger.

message 27: by Groovy (last edited Jan 07, 2018 06:50PM) (new)

Groovy Lee That's one of the things I hate about this country, Ori. They always tag epidemics, diseases, food bacteria with foreign country names. I've never once heard of American Flu. If there's an ecoli outbreak, it came from Japan; the aid's epidemic is Africa's fault, etc., etc.,

I'm glad you and hubby are getting better. Before the fall season starts my daughter and I build our system up by taking Iron & Vitamin C and keeping the hand sanitizer close. Some might not think it works, but we haven't been sick in years. (I probably just jinxed us:)

Shame, shame, mrbooks:) I guess I would be the odd one out.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments Trouble is that those hand sanitisers are toxic to humans too. I just wash my hands properly, and a lot. (My aunt was a surgical nurse. You do not just wet your hands and rub your fingers together under the tap!) In my case it's a "thing", but it helps. I also carry wipes in my purse for being out on the bus etc.

The other day my bestie was complaining about constant nausea. I saw her change her 1 yr old son's diaper and not wash her hands! I got a bit sharp and said, "Well there's your problem!" Stood in the doorway of the bathroom and saw her "wash" her hands. It just came out all by itself: "Have you never been taught to wash your hands properly?" (Oh dear. Jane Austen again, plus Aunty Jeanne. But she knows me. Conchi, not Jane.) She wondered what I meant, so I showed her. Soap your hands, all over, up to the wrists. In between fingers too by interlacing them briskly. Rinse likewise.

message 29: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee That's how I wash my hands, too. They get a good bath, and a lot!!! My daughter gets irritated sometimes because I'm always asking her if she washed her hands after that.

We're always encouraged to keep our hand sanitizers close over here, and I don't feel safe germ-wise without one in my pockets. So, until they come up with something healthier...

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments Special for Groovy Girl:
Mission Cleopatra (you can see this on Youtube, natcherly)
[Intro : Snoop Dogg]
Yeah, believe it
J-A-M-E-L with the big D-O-Double G ! Woof !
D-A-Z, DPG Family, ooh wee (ooh wee) yeah yeah

[Couplet 1 : Snoop Dogg]
You say you wanna party with us
Well, come on baby let me see you get up
And, quit playin', you know what I'm sayin'
We got a whole lotta food if ya plan on stayin'
We got a sayin', no matter where you at in the Bentley or
The ghetto, we keep the hot metal
Settle, down, and pass it around
Cuz we havin' a good time while I'm in yall town
French eyes and with french fries and with French thighs
D-O-Double G and I'ma do it to ya ten times
Flizzy, hizzigh, wizzie
Operation Cleopatra, comin' right at ya
J-A-M-E-L I'm tryin' to holla at ya homie pick up ya cell
D-P-G hell yeah, I got some suckers on my tail could ya make'em bail?

(Ça fait plaisir)

[Refrain]
We're gonna party (pour voir les meufs)
So get the party started (eh vous habitez où ?)
We're gonna party (we gonna shake it up... do it to ya)
We're gonna party, come on come on (yeaaaah)
So get the party started (mais c'est super !)
We're gonna party (we gonna set the mood on the groove)
Party all night 'long

[Couplet 2 : Jamel Debbouze]
You say you wanna party with us
Well, come on baby let me see you get up
And, and whats my mothafuka name? Jamel!
Snoop Dogg for mamel
Dogg Jamel, c'est mon nouveau prénom
C'est comme ca que Snoop Doggy Dogg il m'appelle et il a raison
Hé les gars, moi c'est Dogg Jamel
Ok we all the same, ça veut dire "on est les mêmes"
Snoop! Ton copain là-bas qui fume d'la weed
Oh akhalalaladim on dirait mon copain Ahmed
Ahmed, la weed, ti-suite ti-suite, la weed [Jameeeeel]
Ti-suite tous les jours et y'a des gens qui m'énervent
Snoop et moi on aimerait bien les voir avec une minerve
Mais pas la peine de s'vénère
Ce soir on va s'la faire

[Refrain]

message 31: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Orinoco, you are soooo funny. I'm still laughing at this. And believe me, I'm going to pull this up on YouTube:) I love French, and it sounds like a fun video!

I really appreciate you took the time to write this entire song down for me. Thank-you. I'm going to use it to sing along with Snoop:)

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments I think DPG is a reference to Gerard Depardieu, turned inside out. Depardieu...means someone was an orphan at some point in his family tree, as it means "for God's sake" (that they rescued the child.)

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 65 comments Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) wrote: "I think DPG is a reference to Gerard Depardieu, turned inside out. Depardieu...means someone was an orphan at some point in his family tree, as it means "for God's sake" (that they rescued the child.)"

Ooh, interesting...

Tell me more...

That's fascinating, Orinoco. How did you find out that it means they rescued the child?

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments There are many Spanish and French surnames that tell you that somewhere maybe a couple of centuries back, someone was abandoned on a convent doorstep or left in the "turn", or simply picked up along the roadside half-starved after a plague or war or whatever.

Dieudonné (given by God) is one, Depardieu is another. "Deodato" in Latin was often given to oblates, small boys dumped at monasteries by parents who wanted to get rid of yet another mouth to feed, by giving a son to the church.

In Spanish there are many. De Jesús, de Dios, Exposito (because some children were left "exposed" to the elements and if they died, well too bad so sad) de la Cruz or Cruz by itself. I know there are more but I can't think of them right now.

There are other names that indicate a convert from Judaism to Christianity to avoid the Inquisition. St Theresa of Avila's surname was "Ahumada"--"smoked" as in "passed through the fire and lived." My own husband's mother's surname, "Llamas" (flames) indicates the same thing. One of my good university friends was a rabbi who took one look at my husband and said, "Is he Jewish? He looks Jewish." He does indeed. So he asked my husband, "For you, what is God?"
"A mystery" replied my husband.
Rebbe Serber's eyes sparkled. "He's Jewish!" he said triumphantly.

message 35: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 65 comments Thank you, Orinoco, x 100. I love it when I come across something that is completely new to me. Of course I know that British surnames often relate to their employment, such as Cooper or Miller, but names that indicate that someone was abandoned is tragic and, as I said, completely new to me. Thank you (again).

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments Well it's because the convents and monasteries took the kids in and raised them. Monasteries were the centres of medical care, poor aid, and education as you know. I bet if we knew what to look for you'd find the British "foundling names" that date back to the Middle Ages as well. Maybe all those St Johns or whatever.

message 37: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Conyngham | 36 comments There are some relatively recent ones (Poor Law times) in Britain - for example the surname Cambridge, if it can't be traced back to more than about 1850, means the child was 'found' at Cambridge Poor House. I don't know how widespread that practice was but I've certainly come across some. I don't think the St Johns are related to that (more likely Templar connexions) - my impression is that here, if the child was handed into a monastery, he or she became a religious - so surnames were no longer relevant.

message 38: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Snow is coming and I have to get to the crowed grocery store and stock up. When Nashville gets snow, the entire city breaks down because we don't know how to drive in it. We'll be in all weekend--yes!

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments Feet up, cuppa tea, good book...sweet! Back in my Iowa daze, my mother made sure everything essential ran on natural gas (stove, oven, heating, hot water) and we always had oil lamps put away. Then if the snow came, we dug in and made cookies and played Little House while our neighbours who had all-electric had to go stay at the Y.

message 40: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Smart thinking:)

message 41: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments Hey Groovy, you think it is bad there, we had an inch of snow here and everything closes. It started snowing we went to get some bread and the number of people in there who where panic buying because they thought the whole country was going to shut down for the next year. Yes it was that bad.

message 42: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee LOL! That sounds like here. "It's only a few days, people. Calm down!"

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments One of my students was in NY during that big snowstorm and he says the same thing: the panic buying was as if war had been declared for the foreseeable future, not a two-day snowstorm!

message 44: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments There you go fear and panic, panic and fear. if it isn't the snow it is the rain or some other natural event that the panic over.

message 45: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee I've been having a stressful week. That's why y'all haven't heard from me, or why I haven't been posting any brilliant jokes. We had an unexpected snow storm, which was nice for a while, but you have to get back to work. The other stress is in the form of a human that I can't wait to get out of my space. People!!!!

Hope y'all are doing better.

message 46: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments Hi Miss beautiful aka Goovy. The snow can be dealt with it is the human factor that kills you every time. I would say push them out into the snow and tell them to make an igloo if they want to hang around otherwise there's the road don't let the door hit you in the A*# on the way out. I know you can't, but just close your eyes and imagine yourself telling this person this and see there reaction it should at least put a small smile on your face. I hope

message 47: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee It did:) Thanks!

message 48: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments Well at least it brightened your day and gave you a smile.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) | 2564 comments You know, if I had a Youtube channel where I tried to show people how to do things (ie "tutorials") I would take the trouble to think about what I wanted to say and how I wanted to say it before filming. I might even take notes, or make an outline, or something. Even a three-minute tutorial is teeth-grinding to listen to when someone, you know, is, uh, like...not sure what they really wan...really want to say and they...take forever to say it? Or make every statement sound like a question, okay? But, uh, I guess...it's...just me...Iike, ya know...ummmm...whatever.

message 50: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 2016 comments Yes isn't public speaking fun LOL. I had the problem when In my first lesson. I gave the intro and set the first film going and after that was finished I froze, for get the um er uh absolutely nothing came out of my mouth. I took another month before I could give it a second go. Thankfully I was a whole lot better. The only time I ever had problems was during the annual evaluation Then I would um and er and hmm all over the place. My last three years in the AF I was the requested instructor for over half of the squadron commanders as well as the base commander and group commander. Even after all the practice I had I always got nervous when I had to get in front of people to speak.

The only thing stopping me from stuttering and stammering here is you don't actually see me and I don't see you and I don't have to say what I want out loud.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10