Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Little Fires Everywhere
This topic is about Little Fires Everywhere
Archives > Little Fires Everywhere, by Celeste Ng

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
"In Shaker Heights, a placid, progressive suburb of Cleveland, everything is planned -- from the layout of the winding roads, to the colors of the houses, to the successful lives its residents will go on to lead. And no one embodies this spirit more than Elena Richardson, whose guiding principle is playing by the rules.

Enter Mia Warren -- an enigmatic artist and single mother -- who arrives in this idyllic bubble with her teenaged daughter Pearl, and rents a house from the Richardsons. Soon Mia and Pearl become more than tenants: all four Richardson children are drawn to the mother-daughter pair. But Mia carries with her a mysterious past and a disregard for the status quo that threatens to upend this carefully ordered community.

When old family friends of the Richardsons attempt to adopt a Chinese-American baby, a custody battle erupts that dramatically divides the town--and puts Mia and Elena on opposing sides. Suspicious of Mia and her motives, Elena is determined to uncover the secrets in Mia's past. But her obsession will come at unexpected and devastating costs."

I'm reading this one for my 2017 challenge week 11, a category from another challenge. I chose a reject prompt (A book that mentions its own title in the contents). I'm halfway done so I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow, just in time to count it for 2017 and to get a fresh start on Monday.

I'm liking it so far. It isn't particularly thrilling but I love Ng's writing and the character development. I can't help but see myself in Izzy so I don't like the treatment and automatic blame that she receives. I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
Finished! I'm pretty proud of myself that I actually finished it in time for the end of the year.

(view spoiler)

Great book to end the year! 4.5 stars.

Jess | 12 comments I loved this book so much! I read it for 2018 week three (Goodreads choice awards).

I loved the construction of this book - the dramatic incident and then the backup to untangle all the webs that got us there. The plot felt very melodramatic when I stopped to think about it or tried to explain to a friend "what the book is about," but nothing about the writing or characters felt melodramatic. It felt very grounded in its complexity - zooming in on each character and finding that yes, it's complicated, but also just how human beings are.

Definitely highly recommend.

Kathy | 2201 comments I enjoyed this book by Celeste Ng and rated it 4 stars. I read it for week 14, a book linked to the element of fire.

I agree with Laura's comment under her spoiler, especially about (view spoiler).

Earlier this year, I had read Ng's first book, Everything I Never Told You which was excellent also. I'll be reading the next thing this author writes!

Marina H | 1315 comments This was also my pick for week 14. I was a little hesitant when it came to reading since I for some reason always mistake the author for Nicola Yoon who's books I haven't really enjoyed. So this actually ended up being a nice surprise. I really liked the writing and the story.

The characters were well described, some were likeable and others... well not so much. (view spoiler)

I haven't read Everything I Never Told You. It's been on my TBR for a long time and now it's moved to the top of books to read soon!

Angela | 397 comments I read this for 2018’s Week 3 - a book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards, I really liked it, it handled complex issues and dramatic events in a very subtle, clever way. The writing and characterisation are superb.

Jennifer (jennyftb) | 17 comments I read this book for the AtY 2018 challenge, prompt 14 (4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire). As others have mentioned here, I appreciate Ms. Ng's writing for her skillful character development and her splendid prose.

This book felt very personal to me, as both my daughters were adopted from China as infants...not exactly the same as the McCulloughs, who want to adopt a Chinese-American infant, whose mother is residing in the US at the time she abandons her baby. But there are enough similarities to make reading this book feel like, "pressing on a fresh bruise", as Ms. Ng wrote in this story. Adoption is a complex subject, and my feelings about it have changed over time, as my own daughters have grown, matured, and developed their own opinions about their adoptions. This story touches on many of those aspects that I thought were important when my children were small, but which over time have diminished in significance as more nuanced issues have risen to replace them. 5 stars

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I'm reading this for the 2018 prompt #13 - a book centered around a secret. It is taking me awhile to get into. I'm on chapter 8 now and it is rolling a little better for me. I like the characters so far and the town itself seems to be its own character.

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I ended up really enjoying this book. I liked the writing and how all of the little stories came together in the end. (view spoiler) I loved the characters in this book. They seemed very real and you definitely felt their different feelings in the book.

message 10: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments I also read it for #14. I didn't like it as much as Everything I Never Told You, but it was a pleasant read with some interesting characters and stories.

Celia (cinbread19) | 358 comments Read for 2019 Week 39. A book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life

Shaker Heights really does come alive in this book. It is almost a character in the book as important as any other (and more important than some).

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 493 comments I ended up enjoying this book. I liked how it started and ended in practically the same place, it was very fitting. I enjoyed how the mother and daughter impacted an entire family the way they did. You get to know the characters and like some and dislike others. It also hits a lot of topic that come up at different points in your life, not necessarily the issue, but something you can understand and have feelings about.