Review Group discussion

Finished rounds > Group 169 In This World - Mod K.A.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 216 (216 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by K.A. (last edited Jan 17, 2018 02:44PM) (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1703 comments Mod
READ the ‘FAQ’ and ‘HOW IT WORKS’ threads FIRST, before signing up for a round. Also read the information and bulleted points below.

This is an 'in this world' round
Fiction books that could have actually happened in contemporary and/or historical settings. So nothing set in the future, no magic, ghosts, elves, talking animals or creatures from outer space.

If you are only willing to review your own preferred genre, make sure you join the correct genre round. Allocation is entirely random and there will NOT be any rearranging of the listing to accommodate personal preference. The ONLY circumstance in which you may duck out of giving a review is if YOU provide a stand-in reviewer.
Before signing up below with your Goodreads author and Goodreads book link in the thread below, please ensure that:
1. You have enough time to read and review 4 books within the time allowed.

2. Your book is currently available for sale on Amazon (not pre-order) and it complies with the individual round theme, if there is one.

3. Your book is fit to be reviewed. If it is not, due to editing or other issues, you risk poor reviews. This is your problem, not that of the reviewers or the groups. The number one error new authors make is not having their book beta read and edited (by non-family members).

4. You can submit reviews to Goodreads, Amazon.com and Amazon.uk. Amazon has recently changed their criteria for reviewers to allow only those people who have spent $50 on Amazon. If you are unsure about your Amazon reviewer status, try posting a ‘test’ review before signing up.

5. You can provide (and accept) at least PDF files. Many authors can also provide .mobi and .epub files. You are not expected or required to buy the books you are allocated to review. Some authors borrow books via KU and others provide Smashwords coupons. This is their choice. International Copyright laws apply. You cannot sell or give away material you have received without the author’s express permission.

6. It is up to individuals what disclaimers they place in a review concerning receiving a book in exchange for a review. Note: reviews that state you received a copy ‘IN RETURN’ for a review will probably be removed/not allowed by Amazon.com. ‘I received a free copy from the author without an obligation to review’ would be more acceptable if you feel the need to add a disclaimer.

7. You have completed your reading if you are currently in another review round in this group. You can be involved in the ‘one for one’ list whilst you are in a round.

8. You have an author profile set up before you join.

9. Your Goodreads profile allows people to message you, i.e. your profile is not set to private.

10. You declare any relationship you have with another member in the round. Amazon will not allow reviews from the same household on the same book or if you are an editor, relative or close friend of another member.

11. You agree that your reviews will be unbiased and honest, whatever the star rating, and you will try to avoid ‘spoilers’. i.e. giving away the finale of a book.

12. You will not ask a fellow author to change a review of your book because you don’t agree with it. If you think you have a legitimate concern, talk to the mod of your round, NOT the other author. Personal attacks or pressuring other members WILL NOT BE TOLERATED and will result in you being blacklisted.

13. The new Amazon.com review guidelines do not allow for free books to be supplied in return for reviews. Therefore, you are not obliged to review on Amazon, just on Goodreads. We all want reviews, it’s why we joined the group. It is bad taste to expect other people to review your book and then not do the same for other people in the group. People that DNF and/or don’t post reviews will find it difficult to get into a subsequent group.

14. Your Goodreads details and the rounds you participate in will be recorded by the admin mod on a database. We do not retain details of email addresses etc.

The founding principle of the group is honest, non-reciprocal reviews, so please help maintain the integrity of the group by letting me know as you sign up if you have been reviewed by, or have reviewed another author in the group. Usually places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
I will do my best to fit everyone into the group they request, but occasionally, particularly in the case of our more prolific good standing members, I may have to decline a member request to fit the maximum number of people into a particular round.
It is permissible to review an author more than once if a different book is available.
If you need anything clarified please ask, either by Goodreads personal message to me or on the thread below, before signing up. It’s a pain to have to keep rearranging the list because people haven’t read the above.

Your group moderator will be
K.A. Krisko

Member Links
1. Erin Bomboy
2. Maggie Hasbrouck
3. B. Duane Whitlow
4. Christina J. Michaels
5. Florian Armas
6. Trish Butler
7. Tom Behr
8. Gretchen Jeannette
9. Karen Cogan
10. Dominique Kyle

Book Links
1. The Winner: A Ballroom Dance Novel
2. Muriel Avenue Sluts
3. Target: Villa!: America's First Terrorist
4. Caught
5. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36...
6. Redway Acres: Book 2 - Maria
7. The Most Bold and Daring Act of the Age: A Henry Doyle Novel
8. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
9. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
10. Purgatory is a Place Too

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin Bomboy (erinbomboy) | 55 comments I'd like to join with my book The Winner: A Ballroom Dance Novel. Since I'm the first, I, obviously, have no conflicts, but I will comment if one arises.

Book Page: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Author Profile: https://www.goodreads.com/photo/autho...

message 3: by K.A. (new)

Okay, Erin, you're in!

message 4: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) I'd like to join with Special Agent Mauve-Mission:Naughty Horace

Erin has reviewed me before, but not this book

message 5: by K.A. (new)

At this point, I should be able to arrange things so you will not review each other. Thanks!

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Hasbrouck (maggiehasbrouck) | 46 comments I'd love to join with https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I've reviewed J.B's books but not this one,

message 7: by K.A. (new)

Okay, Maggie, I can put you in the group with some rearrangement.

NOTE: at this time, since there were conflicts with the first three people to sign up, I am NOT able to accommodate anyone else with any conflicts. Sorry - after three, things get to the point where it's not possible to rearrange the reviews to avoid conflicts both directions. So you must not have reviewing conflicts with ANYONE who has signed up before you to sign up for this group.

Thanks for your patience, I'm sure other groups will be opening up soon!

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin Bomboy (erinbomboy) | 55 comments I’ve reviewed Maggie’s Muriel Avenue Sluts, FYI.

message 9: by K.A. (new)

Thanks, Erin. I think I can still accommodate both of you.

message 10: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Hasbrouck (maggiehasbrouck) | 46 comments thanks K.A.

message 11: by Cecily (new)

Cecily Wolfe Can I join with my contemporary family drama/sort of romance Reckless Treasure? I've reviewed Muriel Avenue before, so that might be a problem. Thank you!

message 12: by K.A. (new)

Unfortunately, Cecily, I've reached the limit for conflicts for this group. I'm sorry; I think some other groups will be forming soon!

Here's what starts happening in the set-up when we have a lot of conflicts. With the first few, it's possible to arrange things so that there are no reciprocal reviews. However, it requires that some people who have not signed up yet - some positions, let's call them - get rearranged too, and it ends up with some positions getting more than one review in one round and no review in others.

For example, a position might get a review in Round 1, no review in Round 2, two reviews in Round 3, and one review in Round 4. I think this is okay. But as we accommodate more conflicts, things get weirder: a position might end up with all four reviews in the last round, for example, which is not fair as that position will have to wait until the very end of the group to see any reviews at all.

Of course, there's also a point at which it's not possible to accommodate the non-reciprocal rule, as well. It's generally possible to deal with three people with conflicts, but after that there's just no arrangement that will work.

I do apologize for the inconvenience for people looking for review rounds. Please keep checking back!

message 13: by B. (new)

B. Whitlow | 25 comments K. A.
I would like to join the group with my book "Target: Villa!"

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I am new to goodreads, so please let me know if I make a mistake making this request. Thanks, Duane

message 14: by K.A. (new)

Okay, Duane/B., you're in! (I'm assuming no conflicts with anybody above).

message 15: by B. (new)

B. Whitlow | 25 comments No conflicts. Thanks! Regards, Duane

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina Michaels (chrismichaels) | 14 comments Can I come play? I have no conflicts.

I'm slightly concerned about the fact that two books in this swap are sequels. How does that work if we haven't read the prior book?

My book:

Me:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 17: by B. (new)

B. Whitlow | 25 comments Christina/Group: If you are concerned about "Target: Villa!" being a sequel, don't be. It simply has a character in it that was in my previous book "Lincoln County Diary", but the two stories are totally different and set decades apart. Sorry if I confused anyone. Regards, Duane Whitlow

message 18: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) Mine is also a sequel, but it's a sequel to a 20 page sort of origins short story that is permafree on Amazon. I fill in what went on in the short story in her training and since it's supposed to be a black humor series, you hear about events in the short story in Mauve getting teased

message 19: by Florian (new)

Florian Armas (goodreadscomflorianarmas) | 311 comments I would like to join with Errant.
Errant
I have no conflicts.

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina Michaels (chrismichaels) | 14 comments Sounds great about the sequels. I've been watching these Reading Rounds for awhile, but it is the first time I've been quick enough to be considered!

message 21: by K.A. (new)

Okay, Christina and Florian, you're in!. Halfway there...

message 22: by M.K. (new)

M.K. Williams (1mkwilliams) | 37 comments I would like to join with my book Enemies of Peace (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...)

I have already read and reviewed Maggie's book Muriel Avenue Sluts.

message 23: by K.A. (new)

I'm sorry, M.K., while I'd love to have you in the group, I can't accommodate this conflict due to the number of conflicts already in the group. There's a General group you might be able to slide into - you might want to check it out.

Thanks, and sorry!

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom Behr) (tom_behr) | 15 comments Hi All
I'd like to join with my historical novel The Most Bold and Daring Act of the Age The Most Bold and Daring Act of the Age: A Henry Doyle Novel

It is a sequel but can be read as a stand-alone novel.
Thanks,
Tom

message 25: by M.K. (new)

M.K. Williams (1mkwilliams) | 37 comments K.A. wrote: "I'm sorry, M.K., while I'd love to have you in the group, I can't accommodate this conflict due to the number of conflicts already in the group. There's a General group you might be able to slide i..."

OK Thank you!

message 26: by K.A. (new)

Assuming that you have no conflicts, you're in, Tom!

message 27: by Tom (new)

Tom Behr) (tom_behr) | 15 comments Thanks, K.A. (I think I'm OK with conflicts). I'm looking forward to contributing! I've been blessed over the years as a writer by support and guidance from teachers, mentors and friends. This is a good way for me to reciprocate.

I'm new to the process, and may need a bit of help figuring out the proper procedure to follow.
Cheers
Tom

message 28: by K.A. (new)

Don't worry, it will become more clear when the group fills & you get your assignments. Meanwhile, you can read the FAQ and/or drop in on another group to see how it proceeds.

message 29: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Jeannette | 32 comments Hello K.A.

I'd be delighted to join this round with my historical novel
The Devil Take Tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your consideration.

Gretchen

message 30: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) I'm waiting to see if I can switch to the 18+ round that just opened as I have a new release that is not suitable for this round that I'm needing reviews on. Sorry for the confusion, K.A, but I just got all my notes back from beta readers about 5 minutes ago and it's going up in about an hour

message 31: by K.A. (new)

Okay, J.B, just let me know - that will simplify things a bit for the remaining members. Gretchen, you're in as long as you have no conflicts.

message 32: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Jeannette | 32 comments I have no conflicts.

message 33: by Trish (new)

Trish Butler | 1570 comments Mod
May I join? It's 12 weeks, right?

I don't think I have any conflicts.

I have a series... Redway Acres. I would choose the second book, but happy to have any of the four that are out reviewed.
Redway Acres

Trish

message 34: by K.A. (new)

Okay, Trish, you're in!

message 35: by Trish (new)

K.A. wrote: "Okay, Trish, you're in!"

Awesome!

T

message 36: by J.B. (new)

J.B. Trepagnier (jbtrepagnier) Hi KA!
I'm going to be in the 18+ round instead of this one, since my new release doesn't fit here. I'm sorry for the confusion, but when I joined, I was still waiting for beta notes. I hope this frees up the group for more people to join since I had a few conflicts

message 37: by K.A. (new)

Okay, J. B., thanks for letting me know!

We still have two slots, then, and I may be able to accommodate someone with a conflict.

message 38: by Christina (new)

Christina Michaels (chrismichaels) | 14 comments I'm commenting to bump this back to the top of the list, as I'd really like to find two more people to join us and get this going. Anyone?

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen Cogan (kecogan) | 23 comments I'd like to add my psychological suspense, The Flower Girl, is you still have an opening.

message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen Cogan (kecogan) | 23 comments Opps. wrong cover. I'll fix.

message 41: by Trish (new)

Oh can I read that? I have a child with autism, I might have a good perspective on it!

message 42: by K.A. (new)

Okay, Karen, you're in. Trish, you can read anything you want outside the group, but we'll have to wait to get the group full before we see who is assigned to who within the group.

message 43: by Trish (new)

K.A. wrote: "Okay, Karen, you're in. Trish, you can read anything you want outside the group, but we'll have to wait to get the group full before we see who is assigned to who within the group."

Thanks K.A.

This is my first reading group, but looking back at a couple of others, I thought it usual that everyone read the four books below them in the list above, and with the spot below me open, you might slip Karen in there rather than at #6. That's the only reason I asked. Sorry if I caused any issues.

Looking forward to getting started!

Thank you for all your time commitment to setting this up.

Trish

message 44: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Jeannette | 32 comments Hello K.A.,

I just noticed that the link to my book, The Devil Take Tomorrow, directs readers to a very old version of the cover. Would you mind updating the link as follows?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Gretchen

message 45: by K.A. (new)

Sure, Gretchen!

Trish, there's a pattern that we use to assign books, but it often has to be modified or altered depending on conflicts between group members, to maintain the non-reciprocal reviewing rule. Since there are conflicts within this group, I've had to make a few changes, although with J.B. out, things have been simplified a bit. Depending on who we get as the last member, I may be able to put you in a slot that reviews that book.

message 46: by Trish (new)

K.A. wrote: "Sure, Gretchen!

Trish, there's a pattern that we use to assign books, but it often has to be modified or altered depending on conflicts between group members, to maintain the non-reciprocal review..."

No need to make special arrangements, I'll take it as it comes - 1 & 2 are on my 'interesting' list too.

Let's hope we get someone soon.

Thanks again.

Trish

message 47: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Jeannette | 32 comments K.A. wrote: "Sure, Gretchen!

Trish, there's a pattern that we use to assign books, but it often has to be modified or altered depending on conflicts between group members, to maintain the non-reciprocal review..."

Thanks, K.A. :)

message 48: by Dominique (new)

Dominique Kyle (dominiquekyle) | 58 comments I am making an enquiry about joining with my book 'Purgatory is a Place Too' - (Book 5 of a series but reads as a stand alone).
www.goodreads.com/book/show/33551546-...
I have no conflicts except that I have already read and reviewed Erin Bomboy's book - but am happy to read another of her books if she has one.

message 49: by K.A. (new)

That will work fine, Dominique. You're in, and the group is full!

Please watch for posts regarding starting dates and the graph or who will review whom in the next few days!

message 50: by Dominique (new)

Dominique Kyle (dominiquekyle) | 58 comments Wow - it was very spur of the moment - now I'm in shock! But that's great, thanks!

« previous 1 3 4 5