J.D. Robb discussion

Hide and Seek (Family Reunions, #1)
This topic is about Hide and Seek
Monthly Book Discussion Library > Hide and Seek by Lynette Eason - Jan. 2018

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Dec 29, 2017 06:17AM) (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10396 comments Mod
Our January Book of the Month Poll winner is Hide and Seek by Lynette Eason. Open discussions will start on Jan. 15.

*Thanks to Christine for this nomination.

Synopsis/Blurb:
SHE WON'T GIVE UP Erica James has spent the past three years as a skip tracer, hunting down others and hoping one day it will lead to her kidnapped daughter. Now she has a new suspect-Max Powell's missing sister. Max, a private investigator, has found evidence that connects the two missing girls, and together, he and Erica search for answers. The closer they get to finding answers, the stronger their feelings for each other become. But the kidnapper will stop at nothing-including murder-to keep them from finding Erica's daughter.

Family Reunions: Bringing loved ones back together

message 2: by Charlene (last edited Dec 31, 2017 02:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I'll see if I can order this from our "new" library, since we've finally moved in and have furniture and food in the house, and a new library card ;)

message 3: by Christine (last edited Dec 04, 2021 11:38AM) (new) - added it

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 2264 comments I finished the book last Saturday and I really liked it

Vera M. | 446 comments Waiting on the library copy to come through.

message 5: by Charlene (last edited Jan 02, 2018 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I'm having to order this one used from amazon. For whatever reason, my "new" library puts all new patrons on probation for two months, so I cannot order from the state system until after that period. Never mind that I did that from my previous library system for fifteen years or more...:(

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 806 comments Charlene wrote: "I'm having to order this one used from amazon. For whatever reason, my "new" library puts all new patrons on probation for two months, so I cannot order from the state system until after that perio..."

I'm glad my new library here in Florida didn't do that. I was able to check out books the same day and able to set up my account same day but it's only county wide.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments Paula, I can get books from the county system, just not state. This new library seems to have fewer books than others where I've resided before.
I did get HIDE AND SEEK from amazon, and it's a fairly easy read.
I'll be there for the discussion, when we begin!

message 8: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments Lynette Eason is one of my favorite authors - still I wasn't sure I'll like to read this one - most of the M&B books I read in the past wasn't that great. I decided yesterday I give it a try and got Hide and Seek (Family Reunions #1) by Lynette Eason but after a few chapters I realised I want them all. I'm so glad I can give ebooks back within the first two weeks after buying and got myself the books set Family Reunions Complete Collection Hide and Seek\Christmas Cover-Up\Her Stolen Past by Lynette Eason now :-)

Once again it's written wery well and I can feel the emotions of the MCs - the only thing I'm struggling with (though in a good way) is the chapters end in such a say I can't stopp reading.

I suppose I'll read the entire book today and I'm looking forward to a day offline snuggled with my Kindle :-)

message 9: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments I felt I needed to post this now (view spoiler)

message 10: by Sandra (new)

This will be a Spoiler Zone tomorrow, Jan. 15. You may then feel free to openly discuss this book.

I don't have this one yet, but I'll join in when I do. :)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments Agnieszka wrote: "I felt I needed to post this now [spoilers removed]"

I was with you concerning that suspicion, Agnieszka!

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Open discussions have begun. You may openly discuss this book.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 518 comments I have not gotten this book yet. Does not look promising for me on this months read

message 14: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments I noticed in my copy discussion question and was wondering if they are in all editions and if anyone of you wants discuss them.

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Feel free to post the questions, Agnieszka. I think it would be great!

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I agree. It would be a good way to organize the discussion, perhaps.

message 17: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments Here we go :-)

1. Erica goes into a dangerous place late at night. Do you think her reason was valid?
2. Erica’s faith in God never wavered in spite of God not answering her prayer in the way she wanted. Was this believable to you? How do you react when God doesn’t answer your prayers the way you want?
3. What was your favorite scene in the book? Why?
4. Who was your favorite character in the book? Why?
5. What was your opinion of Max?
6. When Max told Erica she shouldn’t work at the homeless shelter, what was your reaction?
7. How did Max’s first visit to the homeless shelter differ from his second visit?
8. Denise was a very troubled young woman. Her bitterness had been building for years until she finally “snapped” and took Molly. Why do you think she stayed friends with someone she secretly hated all those years?
9. Denise left town three weeks after Molly’s kidnapping. She had to wait and keep her life looking as normal as possible. Do you think it was hard for her to do this?
10. What did you think about Erica’s work with the homeless? Do you think that sometimes when we suffer a deep hurt that giving of ourselves to help someone else can actually make us feel better?
11. Erica finally got her child back. What did you think about the mother/daughter reunion?
12. Erica didn’t have a great relationship with her parents due to their “disinterest” and workaholic tendencies during her growing-up years. What did you think about their desire to reconcile with their kids at this point in their lives?
13. What did you think about Erica’s desire to let go of any bitterness about her parents and to let the past be the past? Do you think it’s possible to do that?
14. Do you have something in your past you need to let go of?
15. What did you think about Erica’s relationship with her brother Peter? And Max’s relationship with his sister, Lydia? Is there someone in your life that you struggle to love? To be there for and believe in?

message 18: by Sandra (new)

If you've finished this book, we'd love to hear your thoughts on the questions posted by Agnieszka above. :)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments 1. I'm sure Erica thought her "reason" was valid, but because of her anguish as a mother, I'm not sure she was able to reason all the way through her pain and the hope she felt about the lost hair bow (?) being noticed in such a place.

It was very close to a TSTL moment for me, and I'm glad there was someone there who had other reasons, yet stopped for her. At least her brother was able to get to the scene and, gladly, it wasn't too late for Erica.

message 20: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments 1. Erica goes into a dangerous place late at night. Do you think her reason was valid?
It was valid to her since it was a new lead and possibility to finaly find her daughter after such a long period of time though my first thought was what good would it be for her daughter if she dies there and there's no mother she can come back to.

Charlene wrote: "...It was very close to a TSTL moment for me..."
Charlene I agree so fully with you it's scary *grins*

2. Erica’s faith in God never wavered in spite of God not answering her prayer in the way she wanted. Was this believable to you? How do you react when God doesn’t answer your prayers the way you want?
I can't agree her faith never wavered and that's what made it believable for me. I know how it is to hold on to a hope and pray to God for years and still see not one visible change to life circumstances and it's possible to cling to God but still doubt if you ever get your miracle.

3. What was your favorite scene in the book? Why?
Unfortunatelly I only read the questions after I finished the book and couldn't remember in detail but I know there was once scene that was so fun it really made my day :-) I'm trying to remember it since a week now without success so far.

4. Who was your favorite character in the book? Why?
I don't think I have one - but if I had to point one I suppose it would be either Max or Brandon - though I can't really tell why.

5. What was your opinion of Max?
I liked him because he had really hard backgroud and still managed to become a decent man, he was firm and loving but also patient and undertanding if necessary as well as stubborn and strong. I liked the way he tried in a soft way help Erica understand how important it is to leave her past and emotions toward her parents behind her.

6. When Max told Erica she shouldn’t work at the homeless shelter, what was your reaction?
I thought: Who are you to tell her her what to do? / Either you support her or go. / If you're afraid for her so stay and protect instead of standing in her way.

7. How did Max’s first visit to the homeless shelter differ from his second visit?
I think it was his attitude. First time he didn't want to see anything positive only cling to his hurt but with Erica's help he became open and started to see the homeless as people down on their luck instead of a criminal group.

10. What did you think about Erica’s work with the homeless?
I think it's a great and important work though I'm not sure I would be brave enough to do it.
Do you think that sometimes when we suffer a deep hurt that giving of ourselves to help someone else can actually make us feel better?
That's a firm yes. Each of my counselors and terapists as well as all the self-help-books I read in the past stress this fact as well as my personal experiences (as few as they were) - when I see what people do to each other I often realise my life's not that bad like it feels and when I concentrate on helping other people I often was able to forget my personal issues (at least for a short period of time).

8. Denise was a very troubled young woman. Her bitterness had been building for years until she finally “snapped” and took Molly. Why do you think she stayed friends with someone she secretly hated all those years?
After the kidnapping mostly to keep tabs on the situation, try to persuade Erica to give the search up and to see if she has to do something about it.
About her possible motives before the kidnapping I've still no real idea, perhaps to bask in her 'glory' and hoping some of it will rub off on her? It's still rather difficult for me to understand other people and their reasons to act the way they do.

9. Denise left town three weeks after Molly’s kidnapping. She had to wait and keep her life looking as normal as possible. Do you think it was hard for her to do this?
Of course it had to be. I'm not sure how she was able to stand this duplicity and strain for such a long period of time.

11. Erica finally got her child back. What did you think about the mother/daughter reunion?
I was somehow amazed that she acted the 'perfect way' for her daughter even if it must broken her heart to act as if she's not her mother.
I was wondering how it was possible for Molly to forget she had originally a different mother. I'm aware she was pretty young but since I heard and read so much about this unique mother-child-bond I still don't understand it.

12. Erica didn’t have a great relationship with her parents due to their “disinterest” and workaholic tendencies during her growing-up years. What did you think about their desire to reconcile with their kids at this point in their lives? / 13. What did you think about Erica’s desire to let go of any bitterness about her parents and to let the past be the past? Do you think it’s possible to do that?
I stuggled pretty much at the pace. It was kind of 'I hate you' and switch 'I forgive and forget'. The seemingly sudden change in her mother and the way she acted was another side of this situation I thought rather unrealistic.
In my head I understand how important Erica's change in attitude was and why the author's written it that way - still I can't believe it's working this fast in real life - or I'm just too jaundiced and cynical.

14. Do you have something in your past you need to let go of?
Unfortunatelly way too much. The most important area's I'm still working on are: the relationship to my parents and sister, sexual abuse in my early childhood as well as in my marriage and most of the stuff proceeding the divorce and divorce process

15. What did you think about Erica’s relationship with her brother Peter? And Max’s relationship with his sister, Lydia? Is there someone in your life that you struggle to love? To be there for and believe in?
I understand why they try time and again - after all they are family still I was wondering how much is true about the meaning of firm but loving boundaries. I just realised I'm not able to express my thoughts in this area clearly and hope when the migraine is gone I can think better.
My father and my sister are two of the people I struggle most - thankfully the relationship with my sister improved very much but it's still way too often difficult.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I guessed early on that Denise was the kidnapper. Can't remember what triggered my reaction, but I think it was finding out that she was in town and did not contact her "best friend." Her acting odd cemented my opinion of her.

When the young girl was reunited with her birth mother, when she thought that Denise was her only mother, I think my heart cracked a bit for Erica.

message 22: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 216 comments I don't understand why the mention of weekly phone calls (plus it was mentioned twice she moved away shortly after the kidnapping) triggered something in my mind so I was sure she's the perp.

message 23: by Vera (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vera M. | 446 comments I think the things that hit me about Denise was then mention of how she was the only one that was able to "help" with the initial search. The fact that there was so much trying to show how very close they are and then she is in town but her best friend doesnt know, even though they talk every week.
I liked the sweet romance. I felt like there was good chemistry and connection between them.