What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

681 views
Suggest books for me > Powers In Another World

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cara's Craftsations (last edited Dec 23, 2017 08:18AM) (new)

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments MC goes to another world (intentionally or accidently) and discovers that they have powers in that world.

Dorothy Must Die Amy, Dorothy and The Wizard have magic in Oz that corrupts some of them.

John Carter of Mars Due to Barsoom's (Mars) low gravity and John Carter's own relatively high bone density, he is able to perform incredible jumps and feats of strength.

Rogue's Pawn MC discovers powers and love in another world.

Barbie and the Secret Door Princess Alexa discovers a mysterious door in the royal gardens. She enters the door and finds herself in a fantasy land where (almost) every princess can perform magic with a wand.


message 2: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) | 228 comments Miserere: An Autumn Tale - a young girl from modern day world goes into another world where she has powers. It's not a YA book.


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Miserere: An Autumn Tale - a young girl from modern day world goes into another world where she has powers. It's not a YA book."

Doesn't have to be YA. Thank you.


message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Witch World the MC (male) goes to another world by sitting on the Siege Perilous, the stone that Merlin used to send some of King Arthur's knights to other worlds. There he finds that he has mental powers that, according to the natives of that world, he shouldn't have because--wait for it--he's male.

Victory on Janus is actually Sci-fi, the MC starts as human and is transformed into a member of another species. 2 book series.

Storm Over Warlock again a sci-fi, but in this one the MC doesn't transform, he just discovers that he has abilities that he never knew about, and receives some training from the natives of the planet. 2 book series.

When the Changewinds Blow this one has 2 women who are friends pulled into another world. One of them develops special powers.

Charmed Life YA has a girl pulled from "our" world into another one, where she makes friends with a boy called Cat.


message 5: by Aerulan (last edited Dec 23, 2017 08:15PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1190 comments The Soprano Sorceress Professional singer travels to a world where music is magic.

The Mirror of Her Dreams woman goes through a mirror and discovers she has magical abilities in the world on the other side

In the Rift Wiccan in our world who travels accidentally to another world where her spells work in a big way, though she's unable to "see" magic the way that locals do.

Her Majesty's Wizard guy ends up in world where rhymes have power.


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Aerulan wrote: "The Soprano Sorceress Professional singer travels to a world where music is magic.

The Mirror of Her Dreams woman goes through a mirror and discovers she has magical ab..."


Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Witch World the MC (male) goes to another world by sitting on the Siege Perilous, the stone that Merlin used to send some of King Arthur's knights to other worlds. There he finds that..."


Thanks guys, these books sound good.


message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Wizard's Bane is book 1 in an interesting world. In our world the MC is your basic computer geek/hacker. He gets pulled into an alternate world where his computer skills turn him into a master wizard. Multiple book series.

The Doomfarers of Coramonde is one that I'm not totally sure fits your request. But the world was interesting, so I thought I'd suggest it. At least 2 books, not sure if there are more or not.

The Cross-Time Engineer again, not sure if this fits the bill or not, since I think it's more time-travel (I haven't read it myself, it's on my husband's shelf) but thought I'd throw the series out there for you.

The Dragon and the George has a man who is transported from our world to another one where he finds himself in the body of a dragon. This is the first book in a series, again.

The Complete Compleat Enchanter again, has a man (in later books he travels with several friends) who winds up traveling around to various locales from mythology and fantasy. This has most of the stories of the series in it, but don't be fooled by the title. I believe that there was one more story written after this one came out.


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Wizard's Bane is book 1 in an interesting world. In our world the MC is your basic computer geek/hacker. He gets pulled into an alternate world where his computer skills turn him into..."

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll check them out.


message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Quag Keep has a group of gamers who find themselves transported to the world they've been playing in.

And, for a totally different take on things, Witch and Wombat has computer gamers from our world transported to a fantasy world, although they are not aware of it. They think they are in some kind of virtual reality game. This one was a hoot, so thought I'd throw it out there for you. Oh, might be a bit difficult to find (Interlibrary Loan is always your friend for those hard to find books) as it's the only book that this author wrote.


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Quag Keep has a group of gamers who find themselves transported to the world they've been playing in.

And, for a totally different take on things, Witch and Wombat has..."


Thank you, Ann aka Iftcan. You have been giving me a lot of good recommendations.


message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
I read occasionally Cara. (Ignore the bookcases that are filled to overflowing and the Nook and Kindle, both with multiple thousand books on them, I just do it occasionally--really.) :o)


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "I read occasionally Cara. (Ignore the bookcases that are filled to overflowing and the Nook and Kindle, both with multiple thousand books on them, I just do it occasionally--really.) :o)"

I never doubted that you read Ann. You've made many wonderful recommendations on my and others threads. ;)


message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
SShhhh, Cara--my husband doesn't realize quite how many books I own. Ok, he sees the dead tree ones, but doesn't realize how many I have loaded onto the Nook and Kindle. (And yes, I do own both--and alternate between the 2.)


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Bump*


message 15: by Nora (new)

Nora | 112 comments Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

Pamela Dean’s The Secret Country series has elements of this as well.

Seanan McGuire’s Wayward Children series plays with this idea, starting with Every Heart a Doorway


message 16: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 475 comments Doc Sidhe by Aaron Allston is about a failed kickboxer who is accidentally kidnapped to an alternate, magical Earth inhabited by fae/elves and in its version of the 1930s. He doesn't actually get any powers, but he does find that being an expert at a martial art no one has ever heard of or encountered gives him an edge in the many fights he gets into while helping the titular sorcerer Doc Sidhe save the world. Great alternate world adventure yarn, even if it doesn't quite fit your request.

Downfall And Rise by Nathan Thompson is a newer litrpg-ish story about a teenager who is crippled on Earth but can transport himself to another world where his body is whole and can be augmented to superhuman levels to help him go on quests and defend the helpless and all that fun stuff. As his body in the other world gets more powerful, his body on Earth also becomes stronger and closer to normal. Then he finds out that's not the only connection between the two worlds, and things get real.


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Peter wrote: "Doc Sidhe by Aaron Allston is about a failed kickboxer who is accidentally kidnapped to an alternate, magical Earth inhabited by fae/elves and in its version of the 1930s. He doesn't ..."

Nora wrote: "Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

Pamela Dean’s The Secret Country series has elements of this as well.

Seanan McGuire’s Wayward Children series plays with this idea, st..."



These sound great. Thx guys.


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Rosa wrote: "Now You See It . . ."

Thank you, Rosa.


message 20: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited May 30, 2019 02:30AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments Cara's Craftsations wrote: "MC goes to another world (intentionally or accidently) and discovers that they have powers in that world.


The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland #2) by Kristen Ashley The Golden Dynasty by Kristen Ashley (Fantasyland #2)


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Amy*skye.rhyme wrote: "Cara's Craftsations wrote: "MC goes to another world (intentionally or accidently) and discovers that they have powers in that world.


The Golden Dynasty (Fantasyland #2) by Kristen Ashley [book:The Golden Dyna..."


Thank you.


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Bump*


message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1077 comments A different human goes to Mars and is likewise stronger there than on Earth in Edgar Rice Burroughs' book The Master Mind of Mars.
The Master Mind of Mars

Also, in a way, in a short story in the collection Retief of the CDT by Keith Laumer, a human learns that aliens believe he has super powers based on his normal Earth abilities which they are unfamiliar with. Retief of the CDT


message 24: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1077 comments The Saga of Pliocene Exile by Julian May, starting with the first novel, The Many-Colored Land. The Many-Colored Land


message 25: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1077 comments The Infinite Cage by Keith Laumer The Infinite Cage


message 26: by Scott (new)

Scott In The Sleeping Dragon a group of gamers are transported to the world they play in and become their characters.


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Rosa wrote: "The Crystal Warriors"

Thank you guys.


message 29: by ...cats? (new)

...cats? | 364 comments Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Die by Kieron Gillen and Stephanie Hans

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie


Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments ...cats? wrote: "Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Die by Kieron Gillen and Stephanie Hans

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie"


Thx.


back to top