Start by marking “The Divide (The Divide, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Divide (The Divide, #1)

The Divide

(The Divide #1)

When Felix's parents take him to "The Divide"--a spot in Costa Rica where the waters that run down to the Pacific and Atlantic oceans separate--Felix finds himself in a bizarre parallel world where mythical creatures and magic are a reality. There, he meets Betony, a tangle child and herbalist who becomes his friend in this strange land. As Felix explores this new world he
319 pages
Published (first published April 1st 2003)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
If Harry Potter is the sort of book you give a child to start them on a lifelong love of reading, The Divide is the sort of book you give your child if you want them to spend the rest of their childhood staring at an iPad playing Candy Crush because books are dumb.

It probably makes me a horrible person for hating the shit out of a book in which the main character has a would-be-fatal heart disease and doomed to a young death. I don't even care.

Do you know what a jabbermawibbly is? A ragglegymook
Arielle Walker
During a recent unexpected excursion to the Transfer Station*, I happened to stumble upon their newly appointed Second Hand Shop (yes, the capitals are necessary). When I say "stumble upon", I mean "was forced to wait a full five minutes for the very official lady at the dump entrance to finish her woodenly recited spiel about how we should all visit the Shop in question".

Anyway. It was hideously hot outside, and the air smelled truly awful, and second-hand Shops are not only invariable interest
Jonathan Terrington

This book and the subsequent ones are again victims of the magic of having read them as a child and loved them. I discovered from personal experience that a positive experience as a child builds a positive experience for life and a negative experience can prove negative into the future. For instance, books I loved then I still love now. It is because of my negative experience with costumed clowns as a child that I still believe that clowns are the creepiest things in the world.

Anyway that all sa
Arlene
Sep 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this when i was like 12, and it was the best thing that my mind had ever read, along with the awesome fact that it's cover opened way different than anything i had ever seen.
Emmy Lou
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle-schoolers who enjoy fantasy
Recommended to Emmy Lou by: Nexla
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Three years ago, my best friend shoved this book in my backpack and made me take it home, along with the rest of the trilogy. She promised me I'd like this series. I put them on my to-read shelf and left them there.

Three years later, I finally pick up the first book. AND IT WAS GOOD. I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't pick up this book sooner. I think I would have liked it more if I was a bit younger.

My main problem with The Divide is that I could not relate to Felix wh
Serenity
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
(This is my first time reviewing, so bear with me, and if it's too short, please spare my life. :'( )

I haven't read The Divide in a long time; being the last time I read it was when I was barely 9. Nonetheless, I do remembering it being a sensational book, and one of my absolute favorites.
However, I also remember being a hardcore fan of the Enid Blyton books, so I don't trust my childhood instincts that much.
The Divide introduced me to the wonderful and magical world of folklore and fantasy, an
Ezra
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and remember after reading it calling all of the mythical creatures what the book called them! I wish I had gotten into the second book...
Mathew
When Felix, a young lad who heart is weak and whose life is close to ending, finds himself transported to a strange world which is both familiar and yet completely unfamiliar, he must fight against time to get back to his own world whilst saving the one he is in.
In this world of magic, Felix befriends an elven girl named Betony who shares its inhabitants and skills with magic whilst he, in turn, shares his knowledge of science. Both find similarities with their mythologies and both could, irrevo
TheLol Aman
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i’m not gonna lie, when i first started reading it i was like “wtf is this?” i thought it was pretty stupid at first. but it got hella better over time. plenty of character growth, world building, nice plot. very good. it is slow, but it’s like the right amount of slow if that makes any sense at all. if you like getting wrapped up in other worlds, then this is definitely a book you should consider reading. it is NOT the best fantasy book around, however like i said before, very good.
Harriette
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it
This fantasy book was recommended to me by a 4th grade student who is part of my enrichment classes. A boy named Felix is in Costa Rica to visit the Continental Divide with his parents because he is not expected to live much longer due to a heart condition. When he passes out when straddling the "divide" he wakes up in a mythical land where unicorns are called "brittlehorns" and pixies are known as "japegrins". He meets an elf-girl named Betony. The creatures of this world believe humans and sci ...more
Anna
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is an uncomfy mixture between fable and children's fantasy book that didn't really work for me at all. It starts really strong, the premise being nothing short of brilliant but then soon becomes cliché trodden in a CS Lewis kind of way. The one thing that could have redeemed it, Felix the main protagonist who is a boy constantly on the verge of death due to a congenital heart condition, simply didn't. The author totally failed to make me feel with Felix. On the contrary I got really cheesed ...more
Cory Abell
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked the book. The beginning is very hard to understand, but you can comprehend it more as time goes on. The Divide is about this boy named Felix who has a very bad heart disease. he will not live very much longer. He goes to a magical world and cures himself. I liked the book because of all the mythical creatures. I did not like it because it was hard to comprehend. I would recommend this book to people who like action and mystery.
Emily
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-as-a-kid
My middle school self is rating this book (as an adult, I'd probably give it 3 stars). But I definitely read this book many times between the ages of 11-15. I remember enjoying the humor and the tensions.
Carolyn
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bluh
Poor kids. I was bored at a friends home , because it was the only book I didn't recognize on their shelf. I soon discovered the reason. It truly was dull to me and I hated the way some of my favorite mythical creatures were misnamed and portrayed so empty.
Abid Zuber
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good . A must read for young readers!
Brian Garber
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this for a book club with my fifth grade class. Loved it at the time.
Tiffany
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super fun book to read with my 9yr old.
Hayden Beverly
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
It was ok. Most of the time I was struggling to follow along.
Ris
Sep 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-readers
This review pertains to the entirety of the Divide series to save time; however, I will try to keep this review free of detail-specific spoilers that you can't figure out from reading the book summaries. Anything more explicit than that will be marked by SPOILERS! in the line preceding it. With that said:

This was a hard series for me to get through. The reading level itself is very elementary: the sentences are short and choppy, detail isn't particularly complicated, and any invented words are a
Liz
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading this aloud with my son.
Aelvana
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Felix has a rare heart condition that leaves him to wonder if every day will be his last. When he goes to Costa Rica to see the Continental Divide, he ends up collapsing into another world, a world where humans are a myth and magic really works. A world where he might find a cure. Accompanied by a tangle girl named Betony, Felix chases every lead, and in the process uncovers a bigger threat than the one to his own life.

As a children's book, this made a fast read, and a fairly enjoyable one. The
Ian Sawyer
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Awful writing, semi-decent plot, many writing inconsistencies, plot gaps, lack of reasonable plot line....

I initially picked up this book because I read it about ten years ago, as a middle schooler, and enjoyed it. My feelings of nostalgia did not trump my feelings of frustration reading this poorly written book. I gave it two stars instead of one because I'll admit, I'm NOT the target audience. This book was written for kids much younger than myself. HOWEVER, I personally feel that kids reading
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by K. Osborn Sullivan for TeensReadToo.com

Felix is a boy whose parents are a little overprotective of him. And who can blame them? Their son has a potentially fatal heart condition. One wrong move could be Felix's last. Considering the circumstances, his parents are doubly horrified when Felix disappears during a family vacation to Costa Rica.

While his parents fear that Felix might be kidnapped or lost in the jungle, the truth is far stranger. Their son is in another world - one he ent
April
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
hate fact had keep going to start of book to keep track of all creature nicknames. kinda boring but was still kinda good read
Dana
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I will be passing it along to my youngest niece for her read and us to discuss later. :)

6/24/13 - I finished this book a few weeks ago and glad I did. I will admit when I started reading it, it was a bit slow moving, but once I got through the slower parts I found myself really liking it! It was a nice little escape, obviously an easy read, but fun.

The world created by Elizabeth Kay was magical. I would agree with some of the other reviews that said it seemed a bit 'text bookish' at times, but
Eleanor Luhar
I started reading this when I was about eleven, and I had really enjoyed it. It's a bit of a kids' book really, but I just wanted to see how it ended!

So Felix, who's thirteen, has a debilitating heart condition. He and his parents visit Costa Rica, home of the Continental Divide. Nothing could prepare him for what happens after passing out across the Divide.

Suddenly, Felix is in a strange new world where myths are real and real life is fake. Humans aren't supposed to be real - so when Felix arri
Francesca
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book when I was younger and I read it again recently for a lot of reasons, one of which being that I'm sick to death of paranormal love triangles; and Elizabeth Kay didn't disappoint.
Felix has a really great voice for the target audience and the characters are all loveable (or "hate-able" in Snakeweed's case) to just the right amount. The humour is spot on and the twists and turns of Felix's journey are perfectly paced. Felix and Betony are believable children and Ironcl
Madalyn Bruner
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
best book ever!!
Leah
May 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Zu Beginn war ich davon überzeugt, dass ich die Geschichte mögen würde, aber ab dem ersten Drittel spätestens ist mir klar geworden, dass sie einfach nur langweilig ist. Die Handlung an sich interessierte mich null. Überhaupt nicht. Und das Ende hat es da auch nicht rausgerissen, eher im Gegenteil. Was den Punkt betrifft, war alles sehr durchschnittlich und nicht innovativ. Zusätzlich sind auch die Charaktere stereotyp und kaum vorhanden. Sie ähneln sich stark und sind nicht besonders. Da ständi ...more
UCAS English 10 H...: March Reading Assignment 1 3 Mar 15, 2018 04:13PM
What's the Name o...: this book is about a boy in two worlds [s] 2 15 Apr 25, 2014 12:12PM
who loves this book? 6 27 Jul 27, 2012 04:42PM
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • The Book of Air (Dragon Quartet #4)
  • The Time Witches
  • 100% Wolf
  • Babylonne (Pagan Chronicles #5)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Hatching Magic (Hatching Magic, #1)
  • Ancient, Strange, and Lovely (Dragon Chronicles, #4)
  • Beyond the Valley of Thorns (The Land of Elyon, #2)
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • Duelling Princes
  • The Faerie Door
  • Inuyasha, Volume 09 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Kringle
  • The Yanti (Alosha, #3)
  • Pure Dead Batty (Pure Dead #5)
  • The Waterstone
Elizabeth Kay is the daughter of a Polish father and an English mother. She originally went to art school, and she is also an illustrator. She has an MA in Creative Writing, and does some teaching and editing. During a varied writing career - from radio plays and short stories to poetry and novels for both adults and children - she has won a number of prizes, including the Cardiff International Po ...more

The Divide (3 books)
  • Back To The Divide (The Divide, #2)
  • Jinx On The Divide (The Divide, #3)
“Are you frightened of me?' asked Ironclaw. 'No. Why should I be?' 'I'm very fierce,' said the brazzle, with some pride. 'All brazzles are fierce. They have to be, they guard hoards of gold. And they peck people's eyes out. Only when necessary, you understand.' 'Have you ever pecked someone's eyes out?' Ironclaw looked sheepish. 'No. But I could if I wanted to.' Felix smiled.” 2 likes
“I'm a shreddermouf, aren't I?' 'I was afraid of that,' said Tansy. He was going to keep her in his larder until he was hungy again, and then he was going to rip her apart. 'Dis is my lair', said the shreddermouth proudly. 'It's de best lair in Tiratattle.' 'Is it?' said Tansy. 'Oh yes. It's a drainage tunnel. Goes right up to de surface, it does. Lots of storage space. My name's Gulp.' 'Tansy,' said Tansy, deciding not to ask him what he kept in his storage space and wondering whether introductions were quite the thing.” 1 likes