Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Koontz, Dean-Odd Thomas- Informal Buddy Read-Starts January 2, 2018

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31133 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

description

Synopsis
"The dead don't talk. I don't know why." But they do try to communicate, with a short-order cook in a small desert town serving as their reluctant confidant. Odd Thomas thinks of himself as an ordinary guy, if possessed of a certain measure of talent at the Pico Mundo Grill and rapturously in love with the most beautiful girl in the world, Stormy Llewellyn.

Maybe he has a gift, maybe it's a curse, Odd has never been sure, but he tries to do his best by the silent souls who seek him out. Sometimes they want justice, and Odd's otherworldly tips to Pico Mundo's sympathetic police chief, Wyatt Porter, can solve a crime. Occasionally they can prevent one. But this time it's different.

A mysterious man comes to town with a voracious appetite, a filing cabinet stuffed with information on the world's worst killers, and a pack of hyena-like shades following him wherever he goes. Who the man is and what he wants, not even Odd's deceased informants can tell him. His most ominous clue is a page ripped from a day-by-day calendar for August 15.

Today is August 14.

In less than twenty-four hours, Pico Mundo will awaken to a day of catastrophe. As evil coils under the searing desert sun, Odd travels through the shifting prisms of his world, struggling to avert a looming cataclysm with the aid of his soul mate and an unlikely community of allies that includes the King of Rock 'n' Roll. His account of two shattering days when past and present, fate and destiny converge is the stuff of our worst nightmares, and a testament by which to live: sanely if not safely, with courage, humor, and a full heart that even in the darkness must persevere.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Yeah, my copy finally came in, but I 'm going to wait until the start date as I have a few other books I want to finish. The cover looks intriguing!

message 6: by Markie (new)

Markie | 5 comments I just got both the audible and kindle editions!!! I’m in!!!

message 7: by Taya (new)

Taya Fosmire (bibliotaya) | 259 comments How funny. I was finally going to start reading this series today.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Awesome! The more the merrier! I 'm going to start too:-)

message 9: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I’ve read through chapter 11 (page 84) so far. I like it! The MC is 20-years-old and the story is told in first person perspective, which in my opinion makes it feel like a faster read.

I’m intrigued by the sorry so far and will go through this quickly. Partly because it goes fast, but partly because I realized today that it is due back at the library in 2 days. 😳

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "I’ve read through chapter 11 (page 84) so far. I like it! The MC is 20-years-old and the story is told in first person perspective, which in my opinion makes it feel like a faster read.

I’m intri..."

Did you read your Alice Hoffman book yet? I have the 1st one but I was waiting for Alissa to grab it so we can buddy read it.

message 11: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Not yet! I haven’t read Practical Magic either, but I wasn’t sure if that was necessary since Rules of Magic is a prequel. Either way, I’ll read one or both of them with you.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Great!
Oh when I look them up it says Practical Magic is #1 and Rules of Magic is #2.

Do we want try for the 8th for Practical Magic? I 'm still in queue for Rules of Magic.

message 13: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments The 8th works for me! That will give me time this week to finish a few I have in progress.

message 14: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I read chapters 12-30 last night (up to page 216, or just past the halfway mark). It is due back at the library today, so most likely I'll be paying a small fine because even if I finish it this evening, I won't be able to take it back until tomorrow.

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I 'm on chapter 2. I will catch up!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Here is our new one - Practical Magic

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I had to switch over to the BOM the last 2 days as it was my turn to do DQ's. I 'll be back to reading this one tomorrow!

message 18: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 771 comments I started it and I agree with Brooke that the writing style helps the story move along faster.

I’m also enjoying it so far. Very interested to see what is going to happen.

I’m on Chapter 9. Hopefully I will get to put a big dent in now before bed and tomorrow.

message 19: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I finished this last night. Wow.

chapters 31 to the end
(view spoiler)

I will definitely read the next in the series at some point, but it might be a few weeks before I can get to it. I'm curious to see if the next book, Forever Odd, takes place shortly after this one or if there is a time jump.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I took my book with me to work on Friday and forgot it! I will get back to this one!

message 21: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 771 comments Brooke wrote: "I read chapters 12-30 last night (up to page 216, or just past the halfway mark). It is due back at the library today, so most likely I'll be paying a small fine because even if I finish it this ev..."

I agree with you on all of that Brooke. It’s my first Koontz novel as well and I am enjoying it very much. I will definitely keep reading the series and maybe try some of his other stuff.

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I'm glad you are liking it, Alissa! Can't wait to see your comments after you finish.

message 23: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 771 comments 31 to end

(view spoiler)

Definitely looking forward to the next one I’m off to watch the movie before I start my next book. It’s on Netflix if you are interested.

message 24: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I didn't even realize it was a movie. I'm going to have to check that out soon!

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I'm so far behind on some of these buddy reads. I have too much on the go. I need to get to this one and Beneath a Scarlet Sky

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mlj0820) | 21 comments anyone still interested in starting this one that hasn't yet?? I'm down to do this one too. It's been on my TBR list for a long time

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Melissa, I suspect everyone will come back and chat with you. I 'm hoping to start it this weekend, but my good intentions may change depending on time!

message 28: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I found the 2nd book, Forever Odd, at the used bookstore for $2, so of course I had to get it. I started reading it last night and got about 1/3 of the way through it. The style is the same as Odd Thomas, and Koontz jumps right into the mystery of the story in the first few pages.

message 29: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 771 comments Nice...I will try and get it and catch you!!

message 30: by Laura (last edited Feb 07, 2018 06:08AM) (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I found this book ... On Mystic Lake by Kristin Hannah and The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah comes out next month. Either of you interested?

I'm still 2nd in queue for The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman

Sorry I 'm not getting caught up on Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz at the moment. (It's still on the pile...)

message 31: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I'm still interested in The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman . I have a hard copy, so when you get your copy Laura just let me know.

I'm definitely interested in Kristin Hannah's new book!

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "I'm still interested in The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman. I have a hard copy, so when you get your copy Laura just let me know.

I'm definitely interested in Kristin Hannah's new book!"

My mistake... Kristin Hannah's new book is out now. Geri and I are discussing a March date in the buddy read's thread.

I see The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman everytime I go to the drug store... its driving me crazy walking past and waiting for my library copy. I suspect I will cave and buy it:-)

message 33: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "Kristin Hannah's new book is out now. Geri and I are discussing a March date in the buddy read's thread. ..."

March is perfect for me.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Awesome!