Start by marking “The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic, #0.2)” as Want to Read:
The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic, #0.2)

The Rules of Magic

(Practical Magic #0.2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  83,327 ratings  ·  8,740 reviews
Find your magic

For the Owens family, love is a curse that began in 1620, when Maria Owens was charged with witchery for loving the wrong man.

Hundreds of years later, in New York City at the cusp of the sixties, when the whole world is about to change, Susanna Owens knows that her three children are dangerously unique. Difficult Franny, with skin as pale as milk and blood r
Published October 10th 2017 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Rules of Magic, please sign up.
Simon & Schuster Goodreads While The Rules of Magic is a prequel, you certainly do not need to read Practical Magic first. The Rules of Magic works beautiful as a stand-alone! Y…moreWhile The Rules of Magic is a prequel, you certainly do not need to read Practical Magic first. The Rules of Magic works beautiful as a stand-alone! You'll find some characters you know and love from watching the movie over and over (if you're like me, at least once a year!)--but you'll also find new characters to fall in love with in the pages of this novel. I hope you enjoy reading The Rules of Magic, and I hope you'll let us know what you think once you do!

-Dana(less)
Ceallaigh It's not a mistake. It's not that unusual for a man to take his wife's name when she's the last in a long family line and they don't want the family n…moreIt's not a mistake. It's not that unusual for a man to take his wife's name when she's the last in a long family line and they don't want the family name to be lost. It happened once in my family, and it happened to a friend of mine. Since we still abide by paternalistic tradition of giving a child the father's surname, even when the wife retains her "maiden" name, the only way for a child to carry the mother's name is for the father to take his wife's name. And It's not hyphenated in the book I read. The husband is Burke Owens, but the children are Owens.(less)

·  83,327 ratings  ·  8,740 reviews

Start your review of The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic, #0.2)
Elyse  Walters
It's FANTASTIC!!!!!

"The Rules of Magic", is such a wonderful world to visit.
Most people avoided the Owens family believing any entanglement with them would taint not only their present but their future as well.
It was said that some family members could place a single horse hair into a pan of water and turn it into a snake.
Yikes... that might scare me away from them too! Ha!

But -- oh how I loved this family who came from a long line of witches as far back as the year 1620 when Maria Owens wa
Angela M
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing

If you don't read this book because you don't believe in witches or in magic, you would truly be missing out on a wonderful story that is about so much more. If you don't read this book because you haven't read Practical Magic, the book to which this is a prequel, you'd be missing out . I haven't read Practical Magic (although I intend to now), but yet I loved so much about this book . It is not just a story of spells and potions and special powers. It is a story of family, of love, a story that
Larry H
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

How much did I love this book? I cannot even count the ways.

Franny, Bridget (Jet), and Vincent Owens are siblings growing up in New York City in the late 1950s and early 1960s, raised by no-nonsense parents who discourage their children from exploring their uniqueness. Their mother Susanna knows that her children are different—headstrong Franny can talk to birds, beautiful Jet can read people's thoughts, and charismatic Vincent has been charming people to him since birth, and he uses that to hi
Will Byrnes
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was clear from the start that they were not like other children, therefore Susanna felt she had no choice but to set down rules. No walking in the moonlight, no Ouija boards, no candles, no red shoes, no wearing black, no going shoeless, no amulets, no night-blooming flowers, no reading novels about magic, no cats, no crows, and no venturing below Fourteenth Street. Yet no matter how Susanna tried to enforce these rules, the children continued to thwart her.
Do you ever read a wonderful bo
Brina
Reading with Retro Chapter Chicks as we get ready for Magic Lessons!!!

Do as you will, but harm no one.
What you give will be returned to you threefold.
Fall in love whenever you can.
These are the rules of Magic.

The Rules of Magic was the October 2017 fiction group read in the goodreads group reading for pleasure. After a two month delay, my library had the book for me, and I was all too happy to read it before the end of the year. Last month, I read Isabel Allende's new book and it left a sour
Julie
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman is a 2017 is a Simon & Schuster publication.

Those eccentric aunts from “Practical Magic”? Just what is their backstory anyway? I was so excited when I heard this book was going to be a prequel to ‘Practical Magic’. Finally, we learn the history behind the infamous curse that plagues the Owens women and discover the legacy behind the love potions and herbs, and the complicated emotions swirling around Frances and Jet.

I usually try to reserve my enthusiasm whe
Debbie
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Woo-woo here, woo-woo there. Here a witch, there a witch, everywhere a witch witch....

Sadly, I couldn't finish this one. I never should have requested it, knowing that magical realism isn't my thing. Reading it has been torture, so I'm stopping right now, a quarter of the way through. Life is too short for me to spend hours reading something I hate. Reading fiction must be fun or intriguing--otherwise, what's the point?

My fault. I let myself get seduced by reviews when I knew full well that witc
Susanne  Strong
5 Crazy, Dazzling & Reckless Stars!

"The Rules of Magic" is a Mystical, Whimsical, Fantastical and Heartbreaking Novel about the Owens family. Siblings, Franny, Jet and Vincent, who are given simple, yet strange rules by their mother Susanna: no walking in moonlight, no wearing black, no wearing red shoes, no cats or crows, no candles and no reading books about magic. Oh.. and the biggest rule? No falling in love.
They are provided no explanation. None. They obey.. though they don't know why -
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
5 (un)magical, but magical anyway (magical in the best way) stars to The Rules of Magic ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

The Rules of Magic was not as full of magic as I expected it to be. At times, when discussing this with my friends, I was asking for more magic! What I found was that the real magic was in the life happenings of these notable characters and not in the magic itself. For the magic lovers, there was some. I would say it took the backseat in this story, which ended up working beautifully.

Alice Hof
PorshaJo
Rating 4.5 (Release date 10-10-17)

Magical! Enough said, end review. Seriously, I loved this book. I got an email one day asking if I was wanted to read this new book by Alice Hoffman. I didn't even think, I just replied YES!

The Rules of Magic is the 'prequel' to Hoffman's huge selling book and movie, Practical Magic. Even though this is a prequel, I will say this.....You DO NOT have to read Practical Magic before reading this one. In Practical Magic, the main characters had two aunts that took c
Berit☀️✨
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, 2017
✨✨5 wonderfully witching stars! With the perfect touch of magic✨✨

This was a five star Traveling Sister Read! That’s why I bumped my rating up to the full five stars! I figured a book that had inspired such an amazing discussion was more than worthy of a five star rating! So thank you ladies for making this book even more special for me!

Not going to lie at the beginning of this book I was slightly disappointed, I was waiting for all this spellcasting and broomstick riding, but that didn’t happen.
Rosh
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5

In life and in literature, witches often get a bad rap and Alice Hoffman tried to change that with this book.

In the heart of the story lies Owens siblings - Franny, Jet and Vincent - who are witches/wizards and suffer from a generation long family curse that entails any person who falls in love with them will die.

They cope with high-school mean girls, apply to college, play music and oh yes, can hear each other’s thoughts, move furniture with their minds and are unable to sink in water. But
Jen
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It seems to be a hit and miss with me and Hoffman. I loved The Dovekeepers and The Story Sisters but not so much with The Marriage of Opposites. This one didn't grab me from under the table at the start. I think it's the magic thing- it's difficult for me to suspend belief, BUT, once I finally let go of that conception, the story was at last able to enter into a more fascinating and interesting realm for me.
Because let's face it, Hoffman's skill is in her descriptive writing - successfully trans
Cheri
!! NOW AVAILABLE !!

I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul
But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll

If you believe in magic, come along with me
We'll dance until morning 'til there's just you and me
And maybe, if the music is right
I'll meet you tomorrow, sort of late at night
And we'll go dancing, baby, then you'll see
How the magic's in the music and the music's in me

Yeah, do you believe in magic

Yeah, believe in the magic of a young girl's soul
Believe in the mag
Diane S ☔
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
It has been many, many years since I read Practical Magic, or seen the movie. I do remember loving it, loving the sisters and the magic. So here the Owen sisters return, as young witches, parents still alive, and with the added twist of their younger brother Victor. Of course they soon notice how different they are, exploring their talents in various ways until a horrible tragedy threatens to derail everything.

Loved it, this book was just what I needed after reading This Way for the Gas, Ladies
Norma
5 brilliant stars for this magically written story!

I absolutely loved everything about this book and savoured every single word that was written.

THE RULES OF MAGIC by ALICE HOFFMAN was a fantastic, endearing, and a spellbinding novel that was an absolute joy to read.  It was a touching, heartbreaking, heartwarming, and a powerful story with a strong message of love and courage within the pages of this book.  I absolutely love a little bit of magical realism within my books but I think there
Victoria
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do as you will, but harm no one.
What you give will be returned to you threefold.
Fall in love whenever you can.

Rules of Magic or Rules for Life? A heartbreaking journey into a family's history with lessons about what it means to be human.

I expected a book with magic in the title, which also figured in its predecessor’s title, to have a whole lot of conjuring, spells and hocus pocus, so I wasn’t quite entranced when this turned out not to be the case. That along with too much exposition made for a
Irena BookDustMagic
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Few years ago I read Faithful by Alice Hoffman and I loved it. It was one of the best books I read that year and I knew I wanted to try Hoffman’s other work at some point.
When nice people from Simon & Schuster provided me with an eARC of The Rules of Magic I was pretty happy, but then life got in a way and this magical book was left behind, neglected.
This year, I made a decision to read all the books from my dusty to-be-reviewed pile and this prequel to Practical Magic shined it’s way to my hand
Brenda ~Traveling Sister Book Reviews
I read The Rules of Magic with eight of my Traveling Sisters and we all found this to be a very magical reading experience.

The Rules of Magic is a spellbinding, heartfelt and heartbreaking, insightful, sad and beautiful story full of emotion. The story started off a little rocky for some of us at first as we were getting to know the Owens siblings. A lot was being told to us all at once but once we let that go and felt the magic within the storyline we were able to escape into this magical world
Liz
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Three siblings grow up knowing they are different than others. Their mother tries to keep their heritage hidden from them. But “what is meant to be is bound to happen, whether or not you approve.” In June, 1960, an invitation arrives and the teenagers take off to stay with their great aunt Isabelle in Massachusetts.

Every book of Alice Hoffman’s is different. The only thing in common is the wonderful writing. This book is described as a prequel to Practical Magic, which I haven't read. And it's
Karen
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ll give this 4 Stars. I really like these kinds of books, they are a nice change from the norm.
I have never read Practical Magic, which this book is the prequel to, but I plan to.
This is the story of three siblings Franny, Jett, and Victor who have the “sight”. We meet them as teenagers and they come to stay with their Aunt Isabel who also has the magic as does their own mother.
They learn some things staying with the aunt, and among those things is that love for them is cursed, that if they f
Esil
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Barely 3 stars.

I knew there was a chance The Rules of Magic wasn’t for me and unfortunately I was right. But I wanted to give it a try because I’ve liked other books by Hoffman and because of a few enthusiastic reviews by GR friends. The story focuses on three siblings — Franny, Jet and Vincent — who are born into a family of witches in the 1950s in Manhattan. They live with a curse that makes love dangerous for those they love. What unfolds is a long melancholic saga about living on the margins
Brenda
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Fantastic + magical = FANTASTICAL!!!

The magic of this book RULES !!!

What may surprise many of you is that I normally would not choose to read a book about witches and/or magic. But, seriously who didn't love 'Practical Magic' in book form &/or the movie? I know I did. I'll admit I was hesitant to to give this a try for fear it wouldn't live up to the hype. Not to mention, this is the prequel to 'Practical Magic' after all these years. How will the author pull this off? Let me just say, that
Justin Tate
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
A witchy romantic comedy that’s not particularly supernatural, romantic, or funny. More intriguing than Practical Magic but that’s not saying much. Maybe I’m not the right audience for these books.
megs_bookrack
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Rules of Magic, the prequel to Hoffman's beloved Practical Magic, is a coming of age tale starring everyone's favorite Aunts, Jet and Franny Owens.

Unbeknownst to me, Jet and Franny also had a brother, Vincent, who is equally vibrant and naughty.

This lyrical story weaves together many aspects of the Owen family history. With this new foundation, certain elements of Practical Magic seem to make more sense.

Hoffman's writing style is simply beautiful. You cannot help but be swept up into her
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Excuse me while I cry my eyes out for the rest of the day 😭
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***PREQUEL COMING IN OCTOBER "MAGIC LESSONS" DON'T MISS IT"

I received an ARC of this book through the publisher and NetGalley.

One never knows what will be found between the covers of a book by Ms. Hoffman. I have read many books by this master storyteller and she never disappoints. Some aren’t always my favorites, “The Dovekeepers” was too dark for me, but the writing is always pitch perfect.

This is a prequel to her famous “Practical Magic” which was made into a movie in 2003. I did not read th
Tina
I received this Advanced Reader Copy a few years ago when I was participating in a Christmas Book Exchange. I was always putting off reading it as my TBR pile seems to forever be growing. I remember many years ago watching the movie, "Practical Magic" and really enjoying it. I figured the Halloween season would be the perfect time to finally read this book. 🎃🧙🏻‍♂️

I must say I was a little disappointed as I was expecting a very magical book and I was in the mood for that. I know I'm in the minori
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'Once upon a time, before the whole world changed, it was possible to run away from home, disguise who you were, and fit into polite society. The children's mother had done just that.'

THE BLURB: Find your magic

Tammy
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a fan of Alice Hoffman but this is, well, magical. ...more
Challenge Corner: The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman -> Starting October 10th, 2021 8 4 10 hours, 49 min ago
alice hoffman 1 5 Jun 13, 2021 04:59PM
Goodreads Librari...: Publisher name wrong 2 9 Dec 23, 2020 07:24AM
Play Book Tag: Rules of Magic - Alice Hoffman - 4 stars 1 10 Oct 07, 2020 09:35AM

• Toe to Toe
  • Nightingale House
  • Hidden Hope (Hope, #1)
  • God Touched (Demon Accords, #1)
  • The Age of Witches
  • Bless Me, Ultima
  • A Private Cathedral (Dave Robicheaux #23)
  • Grave Mistakes (Hellgate Guardians, #1)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless: Season One #3)
  • The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3)
  • The Lost Apothecary
  • This is the Story of a Happy Marriage
  • The Last Thing He Told Me
  • The Scent Keeper
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  • Outlawed
  • Malibu Rising
  • The Sanatorium (Detective Elin Warner, #1)
See top shelves…
Alice Hoffman is the author of more than thirty works of fiction, including The World That We Knew; The Marriage of Opposites; The Red Garden; The Museum of Extraordinary Things; The Dovekeepers; Here on Earth, an Oprah’s Book Club selection; and the Practical Magic series, including Practical
Magic; Magic Lessons; The Rules of Magic, a selection of Reese’s Book Club; and The Book of Magic. She liv

Practical Magic (2 books)
  • Practical Magic (Practical Magic, #1)
  • The Book of Magic (Practical Magic, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Myths and mayhem, the fantastical and the scientifically plausible, these are readers’ most popular sci-fi and fantasy novels published in the...
“Other people’s judgments were meaningless unless you allowed them to mean something.” 74 likes
“Know that the only remedy for love is to love more.” 72 likes