Start by marking “Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)

Odd Thomas

(Odd Thomas #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  231,503 ratings  ·  7,000 reviews
"The dead don't talk. I don't know why." But they do try to communicate, with a short-order cook in a small desert town serving as their reluctant confidant. Odd Thomas thinks of himself as an ordinary guy, if possessed of a certain measure of talent at the Pico Mundo Grill and rapturously in love with the most beautiful girl in the world, Stormy Llewellyn.

Maybe he has a g
Published August 29th 2006 by Bantam (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Odd Thomas, please sign up.
Tom Dianne, I've been reading both King and Koontz for years and on the whole I find Koontz's books much less disturbing than King's, he's a devout…moreDianne, I've been reading both King and Koontz for years and on the whole I find Koontz's books much less disturbing than King's, he's a devout Catholic and very gentle person so I wouldn't worry too much, not that they can't be very disturbing sometimes because they can, but nothing a King fan would worry about IMO.(less)
Watchers by Dean KoontzOdd Thomas by Dean KoontzIntensity by Dean KoontzLightning by Dean KoontzLife Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Best Dean Koontz Books
77 books — 848 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensGhost Story by Peter StraubHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Ghost Stories
1,145 books — 1,749 voters

More lists with this book...

·  231,503 ratings  ·  7,000 reviews

Aaron Woodsworth
I haven't read Dean Koontz in years, and I wanted to see if I'd made a hasty judgment about him being not so good. He wrote a book called "Lightning" that I liked, but others I read were, as they say, "Meh." I picked up this book and the next in the series, "Forever Odd," and thought "sure, why not?"

Let me answer that question for you:

Dean Koontz' 20 year old I-see-dead-people fry cook character reads like a 20 year old written by a 50-something year old that assumes he can write a believable 20
Lyn
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hooray for Odd Thomas!

That’s really his name, by the way.

Dean Koontz has made a winner with this 2003 publication that spawned ten other works (as of 2015) and a 2013 film.

First of all, Koontz crafted in Odd a very likeable hero. Notice I did not use the term protagonist, as Odd is a real hero, doing what is right, having fun with it, and being an all around great guy. Odd’s heroism is emphasized by his comparison to his thoroughly unlikeable and completely unsympathetic parents. By showing us O
Luffy
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I usually do not read supernatural books. When I read Chain Letter 2 back in high school, I went against popular opinion and rated Chain Letter 1 higher, because 2 was a premise with supernatural events.

Back to Odd Thomas, I loved reading even the low key chapters. Dean Koontz has a knack for oozing interesting things from even the most mundane thoughts or settings.

I feared who would die in the end, and I was surprised. I cried like a kid and I recommend Odd Thomas, and I'm going to read book 2
Not Now...Mommy's Reading
Best Read of 2004!!! Wow! What a way to start a new year. This is the first book I've read by Dean Koontz and I'm kicking myself in the behind for overlooking the man for some many years! After this review, I will make it a point to get my hands on a copy of everything the man has ever written.

I first mentioned this book to my ex-husband after coming across it in the bookstore early December. Back cover seemed interesting enough but, not being a fan of Koontz, I decided to put it on my "wish li
Will M.
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, paranormal, horror
Odd Thomas is a 20-year old fry cook, and he can see dead people. It's either a gift or a curse. In less than twenty-four hours, Pico Mundo will awaken to a day of catastrophe, and it's up to Odd to try and prevent it.

The thing with this novel is that the plot was terribly slow. Koontz served up a lot of character building, a lot being the first 1/3 of the novel. That is pretty normal, but the result should be satisfactory. While I am really liking Odd as a character, I just don't see him as a
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

This book wasn't supposed to make me cry. This book was supposed to be simple, mindless fun. I wasn't supposed to fall in love with the tortured and unloved (by family) Odd. This story was supposed to be easy.

So why am I still crying?

I had not asked to be born. Only to be loved.

photo tumblr_inline_nhs9ch0BCm1ss3rei_zpsksro6mrd.gif

Review to come.
Ken
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve not read much Koontz but this seemed like a popular one, I’m even planning to watch the film afterwards.

I liked how the story was narrated through Odd, it was really easy to get a feel for the character.
Whilst working as a short order cook young Odd has the ability to see dead people, I instantly thought of Sixth Sense.

In truth this novel reminded me of a few other well known books, the most obvious being Stephen King’s The Dead Zone as Odd has a premonition that something bad is about to
Maciek
As a kid, the first thing I did when I was coming back from school was stop by at the library. I used to check out various mystery novels - like those with The Three Investigators, a saga that has remained a favorite and to this day I'm fond of it - and one day the librarian (God bless her) decided that I was mature enough (meaning I started growing whiskers) and recommended Stephen King.

Needless to say, I started to read one King book after the other in quick succesion, sometimes even two at th
Matthew
This was one weird story that ramped up to great 4 star finish. I was skeptical through the first 3/4 of the book or so, I even had a hard time staying interested, but the end was great. I look forward to more in the series.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
My sister and I listened to this in the car on our trips around town. In that week or more we spent together, I felt like Odd became part of my life. I was rather sad when it ended. I appreciated the audiobook format very much. I think it was very immersive, and Koontz words were very poetic. Odd is such a unique guy. He's got a pure heart and that's saying something. His gift has made his life very difficult, but he doesn't take it like a curse. It's his life, and he takes ownership of that. He ...more
Delee
I had no interest in reading ODD THOMAS when it first came out. Although Watchers, Lightning, and some of Koontz's older novels are some of my favorites, I had read a few of his more recent novels and had been a little disappointed. But...I was browsing in the used book store and decided what the heck, I will pick up a copy just in case I ever change my mind. It took 7 years.

[image error] photo 0b64cdd4-c76b-40e8-a347-b0fdb8826fef_zpsc0cc0b9a.jpg

The great thing about it taking 7 years is I forgot what the book was about so I got to have the "Big Ahhhaaa
Amber
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a buddy read I did at the Reading for Pleasure book club here on Goodreads.

Odd Thomas is a short order fry cook who communes and sees the dead. When he discovers a dangerous man named Fungus man a.k.a. Bob Robertson surrounded by bodachs, Odd discovers that tragedy and chaos is coming soon to Pico mundo. Can he protect his one true love Stormy as well as his friends and family from the danger? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good read . Though I have seen the film a
Mara
There are plenty of prolific authors out there with whom I'm completely unfamiliar. It was only a few years ago that I “met” (and fell hard for) Stephen King. So I decided to give Dean Koontz a whirl, and (as suggested by my lone star rating) Odd Thomas and I did't exactly hit it off.

I get the whole different strokes for different folks thing, but I just couldn't handle the saccharine sweet (e.g. “My favorite body part is my heart...”), at times infuriatingly repetitive narrative voice of
Rebecca McNutt
Odd Thomas is one of my favorite Dean Koontz novels. With a seemingly average character whom any reader can relate to, fantasy and eerie happenings, it's a very different and unforgettable story.
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Dean Koontz is an incredible author - one of my favorite in the PNR/Horror genre, and every Koontz book I've read has been fast paced, scary but not terrifying and, start to finish, grabs hold, doesn't let go.
“The dead don't talk. I don't know why.” But they do try to communicate, with a short-order cook in a small desert town serving as their reluctant confidant. Odd Thomas thinks of himself as an ordinary guy, if possessed of a certain measure of talent at the Pico Mundo Grill and rapturously
Chris
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caution: comments contain spoilers.

I like Dean Koontz but I am not a big fan. I don't know if the stories seem too generic or the characters are too standard in my view, but he gets me about 60% of the way there most times. I have actually put down a few of his books after about 50 pages because I simply lost interest. I know that he is wildly popular so obviously others don't share this view. Odd Thomas, both the novel and the character, were different for me though. The idea of someone being a
Scott Seaborn
I REALLY wanted to like this novel. The first chapter hooked me-- bad stuff is going to happen to the likable guy who sees dead people. And NOTHING happens for the next 200 pages. Well, almost nothing-- Odd discovers this Black Room with mysteriously cool properties. The Black Room keeps me hooked a little bit longer....but Koontz doesn't even explain what it is or why it's important to the plot. I spent the next 300 pages waiting for Odd to go back to the room, but it's not even mentioned again ...more
Elora
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Literally an awesome book from beginning to the end, I loved the rabbit trails all throughout it and the thinking that went into trying to figure out the complex situation that Odd was in. Bless this omg
Imogen
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Isla was going to get this, but she was equivocating, so I knocked her over and took it. I have read a lot of Dean Koontz! Back when he was Dean R. Koontz. According to Wikipedia, in 1992, when I was thirteen, I had read every book he'd published under his own name- which was, what, like, a dozen or so? I used to get them from the library and read them at other kids' little league games... which sounds a little nerdy, in retrospect.

Anyway, I loved 'em! I was a little nerdy serious kid like "Mom
Jim
Finishing this was a chore. I know I've read other books by Koontz before, but it's been a long time & then in paperbacks. His writing never appealed to me much years ago, but due to several rave reviews I thought I should give his books another try.

Much about this one seems interesting. The characters, plot, & world were excellent, but the execution was not at all to my taste. He's repetitious - a cardinal sin - especially in audio format where I can't skim. The descriptions are too lon
Kate
Odd Thomas is a young, short order cook with special psychic abilities. When a stranger arrives in the town of Pico Mundo, Odd notes a upsurge of other worldly 'bodachs' and knows that something horrific is about to happen. Using his abilities, he must now figure out what it is and how he can stop it.
This is the first Koontz novel I've read for several years and whilst it took me a while to get through it I found it really enjoyable. Odd is a charmingly peculiar character, a good man who wants t
Carolyn
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, thriller
I've only read one Dean Koontz thriller before and didn't really enjoy it so I wasn't expecting to enjoy this so much. Not only does Koontz spin a good tale, but Odd Thomas is such an original character, it's hard not to like him. He's a gentle soul, a cheerful short order fry chef in the small town of Pico Mundo in southern California, who wants to marry his high school sweetheart Stormy Llewellyn and is contented with his life. He's almost normal except for one special skill: he can see the de ...more
Badseedgirl
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great story although the ending was not much of a surprise. The foreshadowing was so thick it was more like "fiveshadowing." But in spite of that, I still loved the character of Odd Thomas and am looking forward to reading more about his life and adventures.
Duchess Nicole
Folks, I just can't do it. I made myself get to around 65% on audio, and I've had to backtrack to re-listen about five hundred times (slight exaggeration). I'm just wasting valuable reading time at this point.

This is the second DNF for me this year, out of over two hundred fifty books, so I don't do this lightly. The genre just isn't for me. I've read and enjoyed Koontz other works up to a point. I find his characters to be a little to nice, a little too real for the horror/mystery genres. I sa
Cheryl
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: koontz
Book 1 is my favorite Odd Thomas book, to-date. Awesome story with a memorable character. I thought about Odd long after I put the book down, and it definitely made me want to read more. I started on Forever Odd (book 2) the same evening.

Dean Koontz has created a very interesting character and some witty dialogue and humor. While it might not be as dark as most of his other works, Odd Thomas has an eerie foreshadowing that really works. You have to keep reading to find out what happens.

I can't w
Julie
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
This one is a re-read for me. My husband had never read it so, I decided to "buddy" read this one with him. It has been years since I read this book, but I still remembered many of the details. I really love these first few books in the series. I started to read lukewarm reviews after the third one and I quit reading them, but I see there is a new installment and I'm a little curious as to what Odd has been up to lately.
This is one of Koontz' best characters in my opinion. Odd is just so loveabl
Alissa Patrick
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't know why I put this series off so long. Maybe because I am not a huge fan of Koontz
I've only read a few of his novels and they were okay. But I kept reading how great his Odd Thomas series is so I decided to give it a shot.

Love this character! I love the "I see dead people" concept but even more with Odd's humility. I love that he's a fry cook, I love that he lives in a small town, I love how he surrounds himself with caring and colorful characters.

I was riveted from page one and the e
✨Brithanie Faith✨
3.5/5 "I'm not entirely sure what I just read, but I'm glad I read it!" stars ⭐⭐⭐.5

description

Favorite Quotes:

"I'm not the law. I'm not vigilante justice. I'm not vengeance personified. I don't really know what I am, or why."

"The dead don't talk. I don't know why."

Pros:

-Strange and unusual as this was-I absolutely loved it! The characters were fascinating, I had no idea what to expect, it was creepy-without going overboard on the horror/gore, and I definitely don't think I've read anything quite like this
Donna
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This was my very first Dean Koontz book so I wasn't sure what to expect. Plus, this was in the Horror genre, which I don't find myself reading a lot of. So this book was a huge surprise, because I liked this one a lot. It took a little more time than I like to really get into this, but I was definitely in. I think it was because of the characters. They were so well drawn that I found myself really caring about them. The MC was so sweet and endearing. I also liked the dialogue between him and the ...more
Angelina
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable book, with an endearing main character that sees dead people. I love his name - Odd Thomas - and I'm thinking it would be a great name for a dog (they say dogs see dead people, too, and they're so lovable - a lot like Koontz's character!). Parts of the book lagged on for me, especially the middle, and I think the end is pretty predictable, but I liked Odd, so I liked the book. I considered a 3 star rating, but I will continue the series, so I bumped it up to 4 stars.
Is this book scary? 5 16 Apr 08, 2019 10:01PM
Owned shelve 1 1 Mar 24, 2019 07:55AM
Koontzland - Dean...: The Odd Thomas Film - NOW AVAILABLE! 49 245 Sep 10, 2018 08:29AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Eyes of Darkness
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Shadows
  • Black House (The Talisman, #2)
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Crisscross (Repairman Jack, #8)
  • Endless Night
  • The Wolf's Hour

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na

Odd Thomas (7 books)
  • Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)
  • Brother Odd (Odd Thomas, #3)
  • Odd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4)
  • Odd Apocalypse (Odd Thomas, #5)
  • Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas, #6)
  • Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7)
“From time to time, I do consider that I might be mad. Like any self-respecting lunatic, however, I am always quick to dismiss any doubts about my sanity.” 349 likes
“Given my heritage and the ordeal of my childhood, I sometimes wonder why I myself am not insane. Maybe I am.” 144 likes