Who's Your Author? discussion

Paranormal Writers > Karen Chance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 3,027 (3027 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 60 61

message 1: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments I've just started Touch the Dark which is the fist in the Cassie Palmer series. And I'm impressed. The book feels like it ought to be somewhere in the middle of the series, but she is providing enough back story that you can follow along and understand what is going on. But there is no question that there is a LOT of back story.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments Yeah but it is definitely worth it.

message 3: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments I'm having a really good time with this book.

What is her other series like. I'm finding it interesting that a lot of my favorite authors run two series in tandem, sometimes quite different from each other.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments The other series is really fun also. Plus certain characters like Louis-Caesar, Mircea, and his brother are quite involved in this series. Dorina Basarab is the narrator and she is a dhampir. If I remember correctly the new series starts a little after book two of her Cassie Palmer series. But im not sure.

message 5: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Dory's first book takes place between 3 and 4 of Cassie's.

So glad to find more people liking it! I love it! The rest of the books, including Dory's, don't have any of that info dump like the first 50 pages of Cassie. The rest just hit the ground running.

They're such a great mix of action and humor and the right amount of steam. The characters are very well drawn too.

Yes, I'm totally obsessed!

message 6: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 52 comments I have read the first two of the Cassie Palmer series and I am hooked! I am waiting for the third book from the library.

I'm going to check out Dory's books too.

message 7: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1011 comments YAY! More fans!!! lol

This is my favorite series! I llove the world. I love the plot. I especially love the characters!!!

Be prepared ... the books get even better as they go along!

message 8: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments We'll take over the world!

Muah hah hah hah!!

Ahem...

message 9: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments I am now well past the "info dump" and yes, the plot is really moving now.

message 10: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments It always strikes me as very cinematic.

message 11: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments If you are already loving the series, and you are only part ways through Touch the Dark, then you are going to love the entire series! I actually had a really had time with the first book. Started and stopped it several times. I think that it was all of the characters and different stories plus the time jumping that was hard for me to follow it all. But once I really got into it, I loved the book and have loved the entire series so far! But, I am one of the few people on this board that is a major Mircea fan! Everyone else is in love with Pritkin. And I can understand why, but personally my choice is still Mircea!

message 12: by Briony (new)

Briony | 9 comments I read the first three books in my first year at uni. Bought the first one, read it straight and then had to run out and buy the following two. Don't think i went to any lectures for a couple of weeks, and if i did i didn't learn anything! Too busy thinking about hot angry sex with Pritkin...yum..
Think I've read them all at least three/four times now..

message 13: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Kelley Anne, I still think Mircea is HOT. I'm frequently torn between the two. I'm very Cassie-like that way. :)

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Kelley I was a fan of Mircea, and then I don't know what happened. After reading the 3rd book I think.. I just suddenly liked Pritkin better.

message 15: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments I've put the next two books on my wish list at Amazon. The writer is AMAZING. And I thank whoever it was who suggested that I try the book. I'm on so many forums here at GoodReads I'm not sure which one it was.

I truly have found another author to follow. What is interesting to me is that I now am sure that what I like is an ongoing urban fantasy series rather than the happy ever after books in paranormal romance.

I've been reading these things so long I frankly never separated the two groups of books. Kind of hard to separate half a dozen books into groups that way. For a long time I read it if it even came close to being a paranormal book.

message 16: by Mel (last edited Aug 10, 2009 01:33PM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Yey! Yet another forum to display our fanatacism with these series.
Jackie M. and Starling: if you liked the first book, you will definitely love the whole series like Kelly Anne said. You'll also love the Dorina book. It's a bit darker, more violent and cynical and it's great. Dory is as vulnerable as she is sarcastic, the action is fast, it is funny (Olga, Stinky and Radu anyone?) and to top it off: poor old Louis-Cesare.
I think I might even love Dory more than Cassie. It's a tough choice: Louis-Cesare or Pritkin, mmmmmmm.

message 17: by Mel (last edited Aug 10, 2009 01:35PM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Starling wrote: "I've put the next two books on my wish list at Amazon. The writer is AMAZING. And I thank whoever it was who suggested that I try the book. I'm on so many forums here at GoodReads I'm not sure which one it was..."

You're very welcome. It was me and Michelle (*grin*)in the Urban Fantasy forum.

message 18: by Mel (last edited Aug 10, 2009 01:42PM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Yey Michelle, our adverstising is paying off, woohoo!
By the way, remember I told you about that friend of mine I forced to read the series? The slightly prudish one? She just finished Embrace the Night and she's really loving it, although she says she can barely keep up the pace and thinks Chance contradicts herself sometimes.
She also told me she liked Pritkin a bit better now. No, actually: she disliked him less. She still thinks he shouts too much and she is hoping for Tomas to come back, LOL.

I think I'm going to print out the Day of the Dead story and send it to her. She'll give up all hope...

Starling: After finishing the second book, you can read the short story about Tomas on Chance's website:

http://www.karenchance.com/books_dayo...

message 19: by Mel (last edited Dec 21, 2009 11:35AM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments In case you girls missed it: the first sample chapter for Death's Mistress is on Karen Chance's website. We liked it- a lot!

http://karenchance.com/books_deathsmi...

message 20: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Mel, one by one, we'll make converts of them all.

That's funny about your friend. Hey, if that person on the forum is right, she'll get more of her Tomas!

message 21: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Mel - thanks for the heads up about the short story!

message 22: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments You're very welcome. I'm curious what you think of it :)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Mel wrote: "It's a tough choice: Louis-Cesare or Pritkin, mmmmmmm."

Luckily we don't have to choose!

message 24: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments LOL you're absolutely right Nichole. The only torment is the waiting. January...aaah! And who knows how long still till Cassie #5...

message 25: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 52 comments I just printed out the short story. Can't wait to read it.
Her website is pretty neat. I see that she has a forum on there but it doesn't look too busy.

message 26: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments I think we've seen some signs of growth here and there, Ng. I think the chaos they're all going through could result in some interesting changes for all of them. From how the last ended, both Mircea and Pritkin had some food for thought, moreso than they've had in the previous three books.

Whether those two men will ever grow enough for you though, I dunno! Have you read Dory? Maybe Caedmon's for you! :)

message 27: by Mel (last edited Aug 12, 2009 03:17AM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments *SPOILERS for Curse the Dawn and Embrace the Night. Starling, you might not want to read this yet. *

Pritkin does smile! I believe he genuinely smiled two or three times. Most of it in the last book. That's growth for you! ;)

Well Ng, I totally agree on the part that growth is necessary. Both for Mircea and Pritkin as for Cassie. They all have trust issues for different reasons.

Mircea is used to be in control for the better part of 500 years. He has a strategic position in the senate, people fear him, women like him for his status. I can't imagine him having been emotionally invested in a relationship since Dory's mother.
The only person he genuinely loves, besides Radu, is Dory and he has a hard time showing it. He tends to be over controlling and manipulative (something Dory can't appreciate at all of course).
As with Cassie, it's hard to discover whether his appreciation for her is fueled by actual love, her powerful position as Pythia or the geis that backfired.
And sure: he's stuck a few centuries back were women were protected by being locked up, but he showed signs of growth in that department in Curse the Dawn. He reluctantly acknowledged that Cassie is capable of doing her job and that he should let her be, even if his automatic reaction is to do the quite opposite. I expect him to be less controlling of her next books. Or maybe in a more subtle way. I’m totally curious as to how he will handle the Pritkin-problem.

As for Pritkin: he’s is a whole different story. Despite all the mystery surrounding him, I find Pritkin a lot more direct and straight forward. You're right: the guy has major issues. Self loathing and distrust of others are his key problems. His distrust of Cassie lasted up to Embrace the Night, his self loathing is still present. But also in Pritkin's case there is slight change.

*SPOILER FOR CURSE THE DAWN* Starling don’t don’t don’t read this!!!
He allowed Cassie to save him. He’s beginning to value her as a true friend and companion and, better yet, is allowing her to do the same.
*END SPOILER*

Cassie herself has major issues too. In a way I think she’s a lot more similar to Pritkin (and that’s why I find them a better match, but that’s an whole other discussion…). She needs to trust others and open herself up, let others get close to her.

I’d actually be really disappointed if another suitor came to the stage and up being with Cassie. Better yet: I’d feel cheated and I would really be pissed off. I think we’re working towards something good here, whether Chance decides to have Cassie end up with Pritkin or Mircea (Pritkin, please please please!).

I don’t see and end to the love triangle coming yet. It’s probably for the best as we have 5 more books to come, woohoo!

message 28: by Mel (last edited Aug 12, 2009 03:21AM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Jackie M wrote: "I just printed out the short story. Can't wait to read it.
Her website is pretty neat. I see that she has a forum on there but it doesn't look too busy."

The short story is really nice (and hot). I got a whole new apreciation for Tomas...

As for the forum: the 'Question for Karen Chance' part is most busy. The dates behind the general threads don't match the latest posts, I don't really get it. And what cool is: if you ask a (sensible) question, she actually answers it. Fast too.
I love her!

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 12, 2009 04:51AM) (new)

Ng said: I have read all the books and I enjoyed them all.
I don't see much in Pritkin to admire as a love interest. He is a brave and self-sacrificing protector, but he is rarely kind to anyone. Any relationship with someone with as much baggage as Pritkin won't last. Does he ever smile? I don't want to see Cassie end up with an unpleasant person.

I'm with you on that, but we seem to be the minority.

As for Mircea, I hope he gets his head out of the 16th century (or wherever he started from) and updates his antiquated notions about a women's place. Cassie deserves someone better then both of these guys. I'm rooting for a third character to make an entrance. Either that or a lot of personal growth on the part of both the two male leads. They have both been around for hundreds of years...are they able to grow anymore?

He started in the 15th century. I really like Mircea, but I'm not sure he would be a good choice for Cassie.
A third chracter might be possible, but I think Cassie as Pythia might have a hard time, having a relationship anyway.
What was the saying about Pythias: 'One to serve, one to live'. I think living in the first life, when they should serve as Pythias might be frowned upon anyway.
Agnes' relationship (relationships?) was (were?) a secret.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 12, 2009 04:49AM) (new)

Mel said: Pritkin does smile! I believe he genuinely smiled two or three times. Most of it in the last book. That's growth for you! ;)

I looked it up.

He had two grim smiles in TtD.
One evil smile, two sour smiles and one genuine smile (at the end) in CbS
I found nothing in EtN
and two smiles in CtD, but I don't think the second counts as a genuine smile.
Chapter Twenty-two:

p. 292 UK-edition

p. 294 UK-edition

I'm sorry, but I think that men who smile only twice in a month are neither attractive, nor easy to live with.
Well, more Pritkin for you.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassie herself has major issues too. In a way I think she’s a lot more similar to Pritkin (and that’s why I find them a better match, but that’s an whole other discussion…). She needs to trust others and open herself up, let others get close to her.

I never saw this as a similiarity. Everyone in this universe seems to have trust issues and most of them have a good reason for this.

message 32: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Nicole wrote: "Well, more Pritkin for you...."

LOL. That's right Nicole, I'll have him. :)

As for the trust issues. I stick to my point (in the other thread) that eventhough everyone has (trust) issues in this universe, I believe Cassie and Pritkin are more similair (in their problems) than Cassie and Mircea. I also believe them to be more complimentary. But that's something we've discussed in the CtD thread already. Although ofcourse.. we do need something to do while waiting and waiting and waiting..
What did you think of the sample chapter or Death's Mistress by the way?

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 12, 2009 05:17AM) (new)

It's great. I can't wait to have the whole book.

message 34: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments No, me neither!!! This sample chapter has set the tone I think. It's way more grim and violent and dirty than the Cassie books, I expect. I love Dory, she's so cynical.
I can't wait for the next chapter next month. I hope Louis-Cesare gets more than a mentioning in there...

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

And I will stick to my point that Pritkin has a too negative view of life, so they can't really learn anything of each other. Perhaps he can learn from her, but I don't think she can learn to trust from him.
So the discussion will keep going in circles.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Mel wrote: "No, me neither!!! This sample chapter has set the tone I think. It's way more grim and violent and dirty than the Cassie books, I expect. I love Dory, she's so cynical.
I can't wait for the next..."

It will be a long wait till next month.
Well, Dory is angry with herself, that she trusted LC. I think she won't have a positive view of him for a while.

message 37: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments I think that if she sees that HE can learn to trust, that means that she can do it too :)
But you're right: circles.

message 38: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Nicole wrote: "Mel wrote: "No, me neither!!! This sample chapter has set the tone I think. It's way more grim and violent and dirty than the Cassie books, I expect. I love Dory, she's so cynical.
I can't wait f..."

I'm afraid to spoil it for Starling so I'm going to post a reply in the CtD thread :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Circles:
I think he has to learn to trust himself. I don't think he does that.
And I think nobody can teach him that, besides himself, which is the difficulty.
He has killed his wife, he has reason to mistrust himself.

Besides I wouldn't want a man in my life, who is angry most of the time. If Cassie wants it, OK.
But I simply don't understand it.
Do you remember in Karen Chance's forum: fast-food?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Mel wrote: I'm afraid to spoil it for Starling so I'm going to post a reply in the CtD thread :)
Sorry :(

message 41: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Noo noo, it was me who started that discussion. I'm copying pasting now to the other thread and looking up the fast food bit on the forum :)

Bah, I'm stuck at home feeling ill, and am glad to discuss this with you. If I have to wait for those lazy Americans to wake up... ;)

:P

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I compared Pritkin and Mircea to fast-food. It tastes good, but it isn't healthy.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Bah, I'm stuck at home feeling ill, and am glad to discuss this with you.

Get well soon!

message 44: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Mel wrote: "Bah, I'm stuck at home feeling ill, and am glad to discuss this with you. If I have to wait for those lazy Americans to wake up... ;)"

Girls, don't hate me. I wasn't serious.... :S

message 45: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments Errrr..... About spoilers

I not only don't mind spoilers, I regularly spoil all of the books I read myself. I read the last chapter soon after I finish the first one. A good book is where I can't figure out how you got from here to there and the author makes getting from here to there interesting.

I INTENTIONALLY read reviews with spoilers as well.

I'm a re-reader and I think I prefer the second and third time around even more than the first time. And frankly the second time around you already know what is going to happen.

And finally, although I know that the convention here is to put spoiler notices on books that are 50, or even 100 years old, I don't really understand putting spoiler notices on books that are more than 6 months old. I mean, now that I know the convention, I'll click that spoiler button on my review if there is more information in it than you will get from the back cover, but I still think it is dumb.

So go ahead, spoil me.

message 46: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Starling.. No... Noohooo! Don't! Please! Don't read the last chapter of Curse the Dawn. You'll ruin it for yourself. You'll miss out on the heavy set of emotions during 3/4 of the book (whether it's sheer joy or tears, I WONT tell you yet).

message 47: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Lol, Starling is incorrigible. But she can read the last chapter. It involves shopping!

message 48: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1831 comments Poor Mel, not feeling well and all she wants is for some silly Americans to keep her occupied.

Guess we're good for something!

Feel better!

message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 13, 2009 12:10AM) (new)

Ng wrote: "My opinion of Pritkin would improve if he was kind to Stinky. But then Karen Chance would have to cross her two series a little more.

Karen Chance said, that Cassie and Dory would meet some day.

Did Mircea ever meet Stinky? I know Radu did.

Not on stage in the books. Mircea and Stinky were there at the end of MD, but both were 'occupied'. Off stage, I don't know?

C'mon...even that psycho Dory is nice to Stinky.

What would the sour war mage do if he met Stinky?
"

Good question.
But we haven't seen him being kind with the misfits (I think he already had the chance here to show a more mellow side). He never seemed to be interested enough in them to meet them.
I don't know if he will be kind to Stinky, who is dark fey, and I had the impression, that Pritkin had prejudices against the dark fey.
But everyone knows that I am not enamoured with Pritkin, so I could be wrong.

message 50: by Mel (last edited Aug 13, 2009 03:53AM) (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 1384 comments Michelle M. wrote: "Poor Mel, not feeling well and all she wants is for some silly Americans to keep her occupied.

Guess we're good for something!"

Yeah, you can imagine how far gone I was... ;)

Feel better

Thank you! Actually I feel better today. I'm at work! In my holiday! Hmm, maybe that implies that I'm still not well.. Well anyway, wanna get rid of the paperwork before the busy season begins.

Lol, Starling is incorrigible. But she can read the last chapter. It involves shopping!

Well Starling, if you insist on spoiling yourself then I say: go for it for a full 100% and read the CtD thread while you're at it. Major spoilers there. Although we do some half off topic stuff sometimes. Like show each other pics of hot guys. But that's all for research purposes ofcourse...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 60 61