Start by marking “The Queen's Witch (Cassandra Palmer #0.6)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Witch (Cassandra Palmer #0.6)

The Queen's Witch

(Cassandra Palmer 0.6)

"The Queen's Witch" is a short story connected to the New York Times bestselling Cassandra Palmer and Dorina Basarab series of urban fantasy novels. It features Kit Marlowe in a supernatural thriller set in Elizabethan England.

It's a companion novel to The Gauntlet.
Published May 14th 2010 by Smashwords (first published May 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen's Witch

Exina
This novella is the sequel of The Gauntlet, taking place one day after Kit Marlowe helped Gillian out of jail, and after Gillian left him behind.

At the beginning of the story, Gillian is almost nailed by the Silver Circle again, but Marlowe helps her again, and this time he doesn’t let her go until she agrees to substitute the missing witch in a meeting.
In the meeting, they detect how and when the Black Circle plans to end the Queen. All they have to do is to prevent them from doing it. Of cour
ᴥ Irena ᴥ

"Being a witch in her majesty's most Protestant England had once been considerably easier than life on the Continent, where the Inquisition had been joined in its efforts to wipe out magic users by a group of dark mages known as the Black Circle."

Those who escaped created the Silver Circle in England and now they are the ones who are persecuting those who resist their new order or who are too independent.
This story takes place a few days after The Gauntlet where Kit Marlowe helped Gillian es
Carmen
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Short story where Kit Marlowe and the witch Gillian continue their adventures after the pearls of the queen.
Cathy
Another very solid story by Chance, a sequel to The Gauntlet. Both stories are available for free on the author's website or from smashwords. They take place during the late 1500s in England in the world of Chance's Cassie Palmer characters, but familiarly with the series isn't necessary. Fans of the series will enjoy that this story features Kit Marlowe, once of the more intriguing vampires from the series (although him being a vampire isn't much of an issue here). I do think the stores will be ...more
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another great free read from Karen Chance The Queen's Witch picks up the story straight after the ending of The Gauntlet. These stories are set in the same world as the Cassie Palmer / Dorina Basarab books but are much earlier in time and don't contain spoilers for either series.

I'd recommend reading both short stories in order though because this one would contain spoilers for The Gauntlet. They are both fast paced and fun reads though and fill in a bit of background information about the Silve
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
The Queen's Witch

The Queen's Witch picks up just days after the events in The Gauntlet and sees Gillian the witch—this time written in first person from her POV—up to mischief once again. With a plot against the Queen under way involving precious jewellery and magic, who better to assist Kit—willingly or not—than a former jewel thief slash coven witch?

Again, this was a fun read, but it could be skipped as it doesn't really progress anything with regards to either the Cassandra Palmer series
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Pretty good follow up to The Gauntlet.

I love Kit and Gillian is still just as feisty. It was over a little too quickly, but I did enjoy that bath scene with Kit and Gillian.

I loved Kit's speech too about why he was willing to do what he was doing for the Queen.
Ivy
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Not too bad of a story. Interesting how Gilliam became a member of the Queen's Court. The monkey was very weird and annoying. Nice to see Gilliam and Kit interacting again. Wonder if they become lovers. What happened to Elinor?!
Just Josie
You can say this is part 2 of Kit Marlowe story as a young master vampire, and what sweet little action packed story that was. I really enjoyed it.

Gillian was fierce and sassy, and Kit was strong and galant.
For such a short book, it had a great pace, nice storyline and surprisingly (okay not surprisingly because it’s Karen Chance we are talking about here, and she is da bomb! ) well developed characters.

Read: 08/05/2018
Will I recommend: Yes, but read series first, not the little prequels or y
Heather
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a companion novel to The Gauntlet.
It is very short. I did enjoy the story and would like to read more.
Skye
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the setting location for The Queen’s Witch. Following on Gillian and Kit from The Gauntlet, they travel through Victorian England and try to find a way to save the queen. The semi-historical setting gave the story a unique feeling from the main Cassandra Palmer series, and (I’m assuming) context for the later storylines within the series.

Having said that, I’m not actually sure where this miniseries fit into the storyline, but it feels like there is a lot of context here that is going to
Karen Smith
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I had the complete book. It was only 107 pages. Still, it was interesting. If this is the complete book, I think it could be fleshed out a little.
Anna Wick
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy the stories where Kit is almost normal in his youth
Irina Villacis
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
la continuacion del 0.5 . me ha encantado Kit como siempre un caballero paranoico y sexy. necesito mas historias de Kit.

alguna vez ha estado enamorado de alguien?? no se porque me recuerda a JIM de la saga Kate Daniels de Ilona Andrews .
Nicole Mole
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short but cool!
Tammy
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Kit Marlowe and Gillian Urswick investigate a threat to the queen.
Faye
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Read: October 2015
Rating: 3.5/5 stars

The Queen's Witch was the second free prequel short story in the Cassandra Palmer series. It once again focuses on the witch Gillian and the vampire Kit. This story begins only two weeks after the ending of The Gauntlet, and opens with Gillian trying to sell the ring she stole from Kit before she left him last time.

I enjoyed the little romance between the two protagonists and the new adventure they have together in trying to protect Elizabeth I from a dark m
Kathy Davie
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, history, urban
The second prequel in the Cassandra Palmer urban fantasy series. This one actually takes place in Elizabeth England and is the sequel to "The Gauntlet".

My Take
I do enjoy an historical tale. And I'm thrilled to find out what happened to Gillian after her prison break in "The Gauntlet"! It is a short story, so it is more of an introduction to her new life. Still, it does gather up the flavor of the time and the historical animosity between the English and the Spanish.

Gillian certainly is a flexibl
Theresa
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
This continues from the short story “The Gauntlet” and is a prelude to the first book of the series, explaining how Gillian became involved with the Queen.

The story revolves around a historic pearl called ‘the Peregrina’: an unusual pear-shaped pearl. There’s also a lot about jewelry in general: fake gems, etc.

Gillian is trying to get the papers she needs she get her and her daughter out of England. But is almost caught until Kit rescues her: again. She ends up helping him spy on Angus Trevel
Cherie
Sep 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
My ratings system is as follows. One star is GOOD. The book is entertaining, easy to read and you don't want to stop reading because something about the book is compelling you not to. Two stars is GREAT! This time the story is not only entertaining, but highly creative, unique, easy to read and hard to put down. Three stars is EXCELLENT. Here the book has all aspects of one and two stars, but now the book is thought and emotionally provoking. Four is AWESOME. This is the read that is not only cr ...more
PurplyCookie
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
The story was basically about a group of mages (magicians) taking over England and stealing precious jewels and consequently, trying to poison Queen Elizabeth I so they could successfully take over.

The Druid Mages had already turned the Queen from the Witches' coven but this one witch has to prove herself worthy. The aim: to save the queen and in the end became the queen's main witch.

This was a short story, and for me, this wasn't enough to introduce me to characters and tell a story. By the ti
Ronda  Tutt
Jul 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, fantacy
The story was ok, it was too short and it didn't have any Hot Romance in it, it had a hint of romance like the witch getting all hot and bothered thinking about the vampire but that was it.

The story was basically about a group of Mage's taken over England and stealing precious jewls and trying to poison the Queen Elizabeth, I so they could take over. The Druid Mages had already turned the Queen from the Witches coven but this one witch proved herself worthy and saved the queen in the end and bec
sara
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: witches
I won't repeat my review for The Gauntlet here verbatim, but I still love Gil and Kit and the glimpse into the conflict between the covens and the Circle. Perhaps more than I should, given they come out to something like 32k words together.

(I am still deeply curious about the early history of the Circle. And about how much of their push for a unified magical community was them being assholes compared to how much was... *waves hand vaguely at spoilers from Embrace the Night*. I am just... so curi
Jenevieve
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Check out all my reviews on My Blog

Another Kit Marlowe short story. Kit has found Gillian again and this time has convinced her to help him discover the threat to Her Majesty before he gives her what she needs for her and her daughter to leave England altogether.

Definitely needs to be read after The Gauntlet as it is a continuation of that story. Again, a fun little romp in Kit's past but has very little to do with the Cassie story line especially since Kit is such a minor character in it.
Cat
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Karen Chance Fans
Shelves: 2011, favorites, fantasy
This sequel to Karen Chance's The Gauntlet isn't quite as tight or fast paced, but it's still a delightful peek into the history of everyone's favorite Vampire Senate Spymaster, Kit Marlowe. Fans of Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series will delight in this short visit to Cassie's universe, though I'm sure it will be a bit confusing for those who haven't read her other work. Highly recommended!
Chichipio
May 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I really like the world Ms. Chance has created for Cassie, Dory and Lia, so I guess that she could write about someone washing dishes, making the bed and taking a stroll through the park and, as long as it's set in this world, I'd read it.

Despite having a little more action than that, this story feels that way. Not much happens. The problem is actually very minor and the resolution pretty straightforward, but still, it's nice to have these pick-me-ups until the next full-length book.
Ela
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spin-offs
Set before Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer/Dory Basarab series begin, it is about Kit Marlowe (a vampire who is featured in the books)

A good short story, it's nice to see Marlowe in England where he originated. Gillian also worked well as a bold heroine; I liked the focus on witches and thought Marlowe and Gillian worked well together.

I wasn't totally clear on who the information about Marlowe's creator and about how much the Queen knew about magic. Still, it was a good free story!
Anna
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting to read about a young Kit Marlowe, and I liked the overall story though I wasn't entranced by it. I suppose I was a little confused y his relationship to Queen Elizabeth 1 and his maker . Not sure I understood that really. I also thought it lacked a bit of chemistry between Kit and Gillian. Not quite as strong a narrative or characterisation as in The Gauntlet but then both are free, so thank you Ms Chance.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice companion piece to the Cassie Palmer series. Should be read after The Gauntlett. I got that wrong, but it doesn't really matter. I could see this setting as a fun spin-off of the main series. I like the Elizabethan age, supernatural shenanigans could work well. Kit Marlowe is a surprisingly nice guy in this.
Jackie
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jackie by: Fans of Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer and Dorina Basarab books and especially Kit Marlowe
Gillian is rescued from captivity and in turn helps Kit resulting in her becoming employed as Queen Elizabeth's witch. Short novella set in Elizabethan England that has a great adventure in a short story. Free from Smashwords and worth every minute spent reading it.
Karen Chance Fans: The Queen's Witch 99 56 Jan 23, 2013 08:21AM
The Gauntlet By Karen Chance Available In New Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 2 9 Feb 01, 2012 01:33PM
  • Black Heart Loa (Hoodoo, #2)
  • The Golem Hunt (Jaz Parks, #3.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
  • Questing Beast
  • Devil's Business (Black London, #4)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Originally Human (World of Lupi, #1.5)
  • Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (The Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Hunter Kiss (Hunter Kiss, 0.5)
  • Tangled Schemes (Elemental Assassin, #3.7)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories, #4)
  • The Dead, the Damned, and the Forgotten (Dark Days, #0.6)
  • Watching Her Every Move (Wolf’s Seduction, #1)
  • Motor City Witch (Urban Arcana, #2)
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more

Cassandra Palmer (9 books)
  • Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Tempt the Stars (Cassandra Palmer, #6)
  • Reap the Wind (Cassandra Palmer, #7)
  • Ride the Storm (Cassandra Palmer, #8)
  • Brave the Tempest (Cassandra Palmer, #9)