What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books where the author effectively sets a darker mood/tone?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments Hey! I'm looking for books where the author really does a stellar job of setting a dark or sombre tone, either for singular scenes or throughout the entire novel. (Especially ones where they exhibit really good imagery, you know?)

It can be any type of "dark" and any genre, fantasy and sci-fi inclusions are fine. I'm trying to conjure some Halloween vibes, but pure horror's never really done it for me.

Oh! If there's a specific dark scene, etc., please try to roughly pinpoint it's location.

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5081 comments The Graveyard Book--the first scene.

message 3: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments I didn't like the book, but I thought that the author very effectively set a dark/creepy tone. The Many

message 4: by Pamela (last edited Oct 24, 2017 05:07PM) (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments Sorrow's Knot by Erin Bow. Many throughout, but especially the funeral scenes--I'd guess the first is about a third of the way in. (Just a rough estimate.) Sorrow's Knot

The Subtle Knife, by Philip Pullman. The scene with the Spectres, which is about halfway through the book, I think? The Subtle Knife

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5081 comments Coraline--not in the beginning, but then...

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

message 7: by Bryce (new)

Bryce Van Vleet (sometimesbryce) | 20 comments I'm Thinking of Ending Things - This is kind of a strange book so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for but it's very atmospheric and dark in my opinion. You're scared but you're not really sure why. The end scenes are particularly dark. It's also a fairly quick read if you're looking for something short to get into.

message 8: by Rosa (last edited Oct 26, 2017 04:19PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5081 comments Neverwhere--any scenes with Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar. Almost anything by Neil Gaiman is a good bet.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
This is a post-apocalyptic romance series, but around about half way through the second book, I kept having to stop periodically and look out the window to re-assure myself that the Yellowstone super volcano hadn't really erupted and that ash wasn't covering everything outside. This series covers 5 ex-Marines attempting to get back to their former Tank commander's place in north east Washington state.

Essential Beginnings is the first book in the Surviving Ashes series.

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments Oooh, there's more, thank you!

message 11: by Zakle (new)

Zakle | 104 comments The Child Thief and Krampus: The Yule Lord. Or, honestly, anything by Brom.

message 12: by C. (new)

C. | 219 comments For INTENSE Atmosphere......here ya go~ The Haunting of Rookward House by Darcy Coates

message 14: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 191 comments Halton Cray by N.B. Roberts. The setting is at a manor which the herione begins to work at. It has a very haunting and spooky feel to it. I usually don't get jumpy while reading books but multiple scenes had me on edge and my heart racing. If you like romance its an added bonus as well.

message 15: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5081 comments Halton Cray for Kirstin's suggestion.

message 16: by Hillary (new)

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynfox) | 180 comments In Silent Graves (Cedar Hill #1) by Gary A. Braunbeck
Robert Londrigan seems to have it all. He is a newscaster with a rising career. He has a beautiful wife, Denise, and a new baby on the way. But in just a few short hours Robert's world is turned upside down. And the torment only gets worse when his daughter's body is stolen from the morgue by a strange, disfigured man....

Robert is about to begin a journey into a world of nightmare, an unimaginable world of mystery, horror and revelation. He will learn, from both the living and the dead, secrets about this world and things beyond this world. Though his journey will be grotesque, terrifying and heartbreaking, he will not be allowed to stop. But can he survive with his mind intact? Can he survive at all?

message 18: by The Reading Raccoon (last edited Feb 26, 2018 07:48PM) (new)

The Reading Raccoon (readingraccoon) | 145 comments When I Am Through with You

Not a spooky story, just a "what can go wrong, will go wrong" type of book

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
The Magus