Start by marking “When I Am Through with You” as Want to Read:
When I Am Through with You

When I Am Through with You

“This isn’t meant to be a confession. Not in any spiritual sense of the word. Yes, I’m in jail at the moment. I imagine I’ll be here for a long time, considering. But I’m not writing this down for absolution and I’m not seeking forgiveness, not even from myself. Because I’m not sorry for what I did to Rose. I’m just not. Not for any of it.”

Ben Gibson is many things, but he
Published August 1st 2017 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about When I Am Through with You, please sign up.
Sabrina Kaye Fox I loved the setting. They're out in the middle of the woods/mountains with Mother Nature in all of her glory.
I wouldn't say this story is educational…more
I wouldn't say this story is educational, but it is a really good book and I suggest you definitely read it ASAP. :)(less)

Start your review of When I Am Through with You
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Hoooooooooooo boy. So this was my last read of 2017, and also my first one star since fucking MARCH. MARCH. I read two hundred and fifty fucking books this year, and I one starred three of them. AND THIS WAS ONE. JESUS.

There is something utterly repulsive about this book. It’s a book of violence that feels pointless, for shock value before anything else. All the characters in this book are horrible people, all the stories feel underdeveloped, and the plot is just… a shitpost.

Listen, guys, I am
C.G. Drews
This books is so freaking messed up and also basically a list of 101 Reasons Why You Should Never Go Camping. Don't go outside, kids. It's dangerous and everything goes wrong. BUT DID I MENTION THIS BOOK WAS MESSED UP. Fantastic. I'm a mess just...just leave me...

+ Now I really really like Stephanie Kuehn's books!
My favourite is Charm & Strange but I also liked The Smaller Evil. She honestly writes YA thrillers SO FREAKING WELL and her writing is A+. They're super complex and really delve into
Erin
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
There is a lot going on in this book.

When I Am Through With You is about a high school camping trip gone horribly wrong. This book started off so good and was riveting, compelling, and dark but towards the end I felt that the wheels came completely off the story. The book took some unbelievable turns that kind of pulled me out of the story. I didn't believe a word the main character Ben said, he is your classic unreliable narrator.

I still enjoyed the story and would recommend it to others.
Gray Cox
So here's this story's plot (spoilers included):

-Dull, boring, depressed guy meets quirky life-loving girl (UGH. The John Green cliché, spare me).

-Guy and girl's relationship practically revolves around sex. (Sounds perfectly healthy... not.)

-Guy claims to worship girl.

-Guy claims to rely on girl. (Once again, this is oh, so healthy).

-Guy acts like a baby and tries to convince reader that the girl has changed after a trip.

-Guy and girl go on a camping trip with a few friends.

-Guy has sex wit
L A i N E Y
“There’s just something about presumed competence that makes you really want to try, you know?”

It is time to admit that Stephanie Kuehn, despite her wild popularity in GR community, is not an author for me. I managed to finished this book, yes but didn’t enjoy or connect to it at all. Which was actually a STEP UP from my last attempt to read her Charm & Strange - that one I had to give up on, I didn’t even know what the hell was going on in there!

As to When I Am Through with You, why did anybody
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I liked this book a lot. The story grabbed me right away and I was completely hooked. This is the first time that I have read anything by Stephanie Kuehn but I quickly found that she is a fabulous storyteller. I ended up reading this book over two nights and really never wanted to put it down because I had to know what happened. I had a lot of fun reading this book.

This story is told by Ben. I really liked the way the story unfolded
Rachel
What a pleasant surprise. I've never read a YA thriller before, which is why I requested this one on a whim. I was curious. But honestly, my expectations hadn't been very high. More fool me.

When I Am Through with You is told from the point of view of Ben, a high school senior who's waiting to go on trial for murder. As his story begins to unfold, we first learn about Rose, his girlfriend of two years who he allegedly ends up murdering. We also learn all about the school hiking trip up in the mou
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
1.5 Stars
"Tragedy is infinitely more interesting than bliss. That's the allure of self-destruction. Or so I've found."

Oh, this book. I actually started out really liking it. I loved the mystery and I wanted a great thriller to read. Unfortunately, this book completely fell apart at the climax of the story and my interest nosedived. We follow Ben Gibson as he narrates what happened on a disastrous school trip that lead to death, pain, and loss.

Things I Liked
I really loved the sho
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

4.5*

This book was good, friends. I have always enjoyed Stephanie Kuehn's writing in the past, but for me, this book took it to a whole new level. I consumed it in one night, which is rare for me, but I basically needed to keep reading. Like the author's other books, it will be hard to do a proper review, simply because I want to give nothing away. You need to read this for yourself,
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
**Thanks to First to Read for providing me a complimentary copy of WHEN I AM THROUGH WITH YOU in exchange for my honest review.**

GRADE: A-
4.5 STARS

Ben killed his girlfriend Rose, and he's about to tell you why.

A heartbreaking story of abandonment, child neglect and domestic violence made Ben who he was. His father left when he was two, his stepfather nearly killed his mother, Ben accidentally killed him before his mother not-accidentally tried to kill him all before the age of eleven. He cares f
♥ Sandi ❣
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to ♥ Sandi ❣ by: First to Read

Our protagonist, Ben Gibson, has no confidence. He comes from a dysfunctional home, previously accused of killing his step-father. He is a teenager, caught in the web of care giver for his invalid drugged out Mother. His only salvation in the world is Rose Augustine - who approached him and stated she was becoming his girlfriend - period! Ben went along.

On a school camping trip in the mountains, Ben, Rose, her twin Tomas, and a handful of other misfit students run into trouble. It appea
Dahlia
May 13, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017-releases
I do not remember the last time I read a book that unputdownable.
Jen Ryland
I've read all but one of Stephanie Kuehn's books. She's an amazing writer who excels at writing characters who are troubled, off-balance, sometimes even a little sinister.

But this book was really, really dark. Too grim for me. I should have known I was in trouble when the book referenced Lord of the Flies and Deliverance. And (view spoiler) And this was just as disturbing.

Ben's had a hard l
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
***5 STARS**** Full review can also be found on my blog Lair Of Books: https://lairofbooksblog.wordpress.com...

PLOT

Let’s just start by getting this out of the way….I LOOOOOOOVED this book!!!! Ok, now that I’ve gotten that out of my system I’ll tell you why ;) In what I found to be a unique form of story telling, our MC Ben is telling us this story as he sits in Jail which is disclosed in the very beginning & in the synopsis (no spoilers here lol). This had me asking all sorts of questions & all
Mónica BQ
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*shivers*

Stephanie Kuehn writes in such a riveting way, that I'm always submerged in her books once I start one of them. She writes unapologetically about disturbing situations and/or individuals. I love that her characters are always complex and multi-faceted.

To be honest, this book is worth the read for the quotes alone. But in between the astonishing sentences there's an incredible story. Although I do have to say that it lost it's enthralling fast- pace for a bit. A few things required a sus
Sarah Marie
When I Am Through with You by Stephanie Kuehn

5 stars

“Tragedy is infinitely more interesting than bliss. That’s the allure of self-destruction.”

Ben Gibson has a lot to say about what happened on the trip to the mountain. His first trip out of Treyben and how it slowly became a nightmare. This is Ben’s confession about what happened on the mountain, how nine people went on a school trip and only five returned, and what he had to do for Rose. This novel is intense. It’s dark, twisty, and it doesn’t

hayden
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i'm kind of frustrated with stephanie kuehn right now.

not because of when i am through with you — precisely the opposite. i'm frustrated because this is her fifth book in a row and not one of them has been bad or even kind-of-bad or even not good or even just-OK. she just keeps writing knockouts, dammit! what kind of cyborg shit is going on here?

kuehn's latest thriller—as we have come to expect from her but can still graciously appreciate—features an astute psychological bent without using it as
K. Elizabeth
2.5-3/5

I just realized that I never wrote a review for this, which is strange.

However, unfortunately, I can't remember this novel too well (says a lot about the impact this made on me). All I remember is that it didn't turn out to be anything I thought it would be, and that the prologue was more interesting than the rest of the book, which sucked. It sets you up to think you're going to read this awesome story, only to find out it's pretty average. But, I mean, average is better than terrible..
Mandy
*I am part of the blog tour, so I was provided a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review!*

OMG. I'm not quite sure where to even begin with this one. Did I think this would be a good mystery? Yeah, sure. Did I think I might be surprised by some of the twists and turns? Definitely. Did I think that one night I would pick it up and never set it down because I was in so deep and couldn't stop myself from finding out just what the book hell was going down? No, but that's exactly what happen
Kathleen
The target audience for this book is teens, so I'm a couple decades past that target but reading about these characters brought me back to those difficult years. The concern about what other people were thinking and doing, the inability to see past the immediate challenges of family, teachers, grades, high school relationships... it's a confusing time in life. Especially when, like many of the characters in this book, your family life has been far from nurturing.

The main character in When I am T
Sarah Ames-Foley
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Rachel
This review can also be found on my blog.

This found its way onto my TBR after Rachel’s five-star review of it, and I’m thankful I let her guide my decision to read it instead of paying attention to the relatively poor rating it has on Goodreads. First and foremost, it’s important to remember that this is a YA thriller and to adjust expectations accordingly. I wasn’t going into this expecting a new and meaningful favorite; I went into this wanting to read something entertaining, which is what I g
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)

The bookish community adores Kuehn’s books so much that I just keep trying. When I Am Through with You is my third attempt (following Charm & Strange and The Smaller Evil), and at this point I’m finally accepting that Kuehn’s books just aren’t for me.

On the positive side, When I Am Through with You was the most explicable of the three Kuehn books I’ve read. This time, I wasn’t left with the feeling that the whole book had just whooshed right over my head, and that was certainly nice. Th
Laurie Flynn
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I honestly can't remember the last time I read a book so simultaneously tense, shocking, and unputdownable. Brilliant, tautly paced, intense, disturbing, riveting. Also, the writing is unbelievably nuanced and sharp. WHEN I AM THROUGH WITH YOU is truly a superb read that I'll be recommending to everyone.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
When I started reading this book I didn't think it would turn into a survival book. Kind of disappointed.
 LEAH⇢
3 out of 5 Stars for this survival thriller...

~MY THOUGHTS~

Basically, I felt the entire plot is thrown off by the fact that this trip/hike that these high-school-age-teens go on was a little hard to swallow. I mean…a hike in the mountains with overnight stays and only one teacher goes along…yeah, I don't think so. This teacher was so clueless that he lets girls and boys sleep in the same tent, by themselves. Not to mention the blatant pot smoking and drinking that is done by these teens…it didn'
Kelly
This one reminded me a lot of Complicit, which is my favorite of Kuehn's books. But like all of her books, it promises and delivers upon being dark, twisted, and disturbing.

A bad trip through the mountains and a load of dead bodies pile up...and we get it all from the point of view of Ben, who killed his long-term girlfriend Rose, from juvenile detention. A delicious thriller.
Stephanie Ward
3.5 Stars

'When I Am Through With You' is an edgy YA thriller that will have readers eagerly devouring each page. There's no doubt that this author has great talent and I've enjoyed many of her previous novels. I really wanted to love this book - it had me intrigued since I read the description. I'm a huge fan of thrillers and this sounded really unique - which it was. There were some elements of the story that didn't appeal to me personally as a reader, and which ultimately made me not love this
viktoria
I have very mixed feelings about this book.

On one hand, holy crap baskets, Ben, you poor baby. I desperately want to cuddle you in a blanket, give you some hot chocolate, and schedule you for the intensive therapy you really, really freaking need, you poor abused and neglected baby who tries and fails so hard. I really appreciated how complex his characterization was, and everyone's was. Because as much as I felt for him, I also had plenty of occasions of "Really, Ben, really? You're making that
QuietlyKat
As often happens with me, I just don't know how to rate When I Am Through With You. I need to keep this short though, as I'm leaving on vacation in the morning and need to get to sleep.

There is a lot going on in this book. The characters are complex and multifaceted. Many of them are dark and have experienced trauma leaving them messed up and broken. I usually enjoy and gravitate to characters and stories like this. The way the characters were written was well done but... it almost felt like to
Lauren Murray
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Thank you to Penguin Young Readers at Penguin Group for providing an advanced reader's copy to this novel through NetGalley.

This novel is a booklover's dream! Mystery, sex, and good ole Mother Nature! It's hard to find a Young Adult suspense novel nowadays that is truly suspenseful, but Kuehn grips the reader from the first chapter, and the twists just keep coming. I appreciate the male perspective; there's something authentically honest about Ben's point of view that not every female narrator

• Never Missing, Never Found
  • If You're Out There
  • Pure (Pure, #1)
  • The Mall
  • Zoe Letting Go
  • Access Restricted (Word$ #2)
  • Sleeper
I'm a YA writer who grew up in Berkeley, California, which is a quirky sort of a place with a ton of wonderful bookstores. My very first job was working in one of those bookstores.

Passions of mine include mental health advocacy, social justice, and sports of all kinds. I currently live in Northern California with my family and our wild menagerie of pets. CHARM & STRANGE and COMPLICIT are out now.

News & Interviews

“There's this mood I can get into sometimes. It's hard to explain. I don't know how to describe it other than to say I feel sort of dead - faded, really, or reduced, like there's less of me or I'm not as much of myself. It's as if I've forgotten who I am or who I'm meant to be or if I'm really even anything or anyone at all.” 3 likes
“she was acting like everything was fine. But fine can so often be the very worst of feelings.” 2 likes