Into the Forest discussion

Previous Group Read Nominations > Nominations for Next Group Read - Nov/Dec

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
So all, we are just doing a general nomination without a theme. So please nominate one adult book, one YA, and one traditional tale.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 844 comments Traditional: Kate Crackernuts
YA: Of Giants and Ice by Shelby Bach
Adult: A Net of Dawn and Bones by C. Chancy

message 4: by Jalilah (last edited Oct 26, 2017 06:05AM) (new)

Jalilah | 4282 comments Mod
Original tale:
The Parrot Prince in Beauty and the Beast: Classic Tales About Animal Brides and Grooms from Around the World by Maria Tatar.
It comes from Chile and the heroine gets her stepsisters drunk, kills her stepmother, and dresses as a boy, all to protect her love.

Young Adult In Restless Dreams by Wren Handman
the description says "Sylvia is just a normal girl with huge, normal problems – her mother’s attempted suicide; how to adjust to life on the Upper East Side; trying to make friends in a rich prep school where she doesn’t belong; whether or not to trust the cute boy with the dangerous eyes. She thinks that’s more than she can handle, but she tests the limits of her endurance when she learns that she is the long awaited Phantasmer, a human who can change the fabric of Fairy simply by believing in a new story. Sylvia’s life is thrown off course as two warring Courts, the Seelie and Unseelie, both attempt to co-opt her gift to fight the other Court, which she has to deal with while trying not to get kicked out of school for fighting. And it doesn’t help matters that the fairies begging for her help are both attractive young men – with their own agendas."

The Changeling by Victor LaValle
Description " Apollo Kagwa has had strange dreams that have haunted him since childhood. An antiquarian book dealer with a business called Improbabilia, he is just beginning to settle into his new life as a committed and involved father, unlike his own father who abandoned him, when his wife Emma begins acting strange. Disconnected and uninterested in their new baby boy, Emma at first seems to be exhibiting all the signs of post-partum depression, but it quickly becomes clear that her troubles go far beyond that. Before Apollo can do anything to help, Emma commits a horrific act—beyond any parent’s comprehension—and vanishes, seemingly into thin air.

Edited to add I removed my adult novel nomination as there were enough already.

message 5: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I'm seeing several nominations for indie press or self publications. A couple don't even have paper editions.

We don't have any firm rule against it, but please keep in mind that not everyone in the group has an ereader, and quite a few people use libraries (including Interlibrary loan) to get books for group reads.

And when it comes to voting, please make sure you can actually obtain the books you vote for.

message 6: by Jalilah (last edited Oct 18, 2017 03:24PM) (new)

Melanti wrote: "I'm seeing several nominations for indie press or self publications. A couple don't even have paper editions.

We don't have any firm rule against it, but please keep in mind that not everyone in ..."

I did not participate in few group reads because the books were only available as an ebook, so I agree!
The books I nominated are available as physical books at my library, however if they are not available for others I would consider changing my vote.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 844 comments Both my book nominations are available in dead tree form.

Kate Crackernuts is available online.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 169 comments Original: The Victorian Fairy Tale Book

YA: Toads and Diamonds

Adult: Ancient Echoes . If that's too obscure, I'll nominate Mythago Wood.

message 9: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 84 comments I was initially totally thrilled at the idea of general nominations, then totally flummoxed because ALL THE BOOKS.

For adult I'll nominate The Girl with Ghost Eyes, which I've been meaning to read since its release. I'm a little wary of Asian-inspired fantasy written by white authors, but I've seen reviews that say it's very well-researched.

For YA I'll nominate Vassa in the Night, which looks super strange, but sometimes I like super strange.

For an original collection, I'll nominate Wonder Tales: Six French Stories of Enchantment. One of my middle school teachers (who seems to have had me figured better than I did at the time) gave me this book for graduation, and the stories baffled me a bit at that age, but I've been wanting to re-read them.

Can I ask for clarification on the date range for this group read? Is it really going to be just Nov/Dec, or will it go through to Jan. 14 as usual?

message 10: by Jalilah (new)

Kelsey wrote: "I was initially totally thrilled at the idea of general nominations, then totally flummoxed because ALL THE BOOKS.

Can I ask for clarification on the date range for this group read? Is it really going to be just Nov/Dec, or will it go through to Jan. 14 as usual? ..."

Ha ha! We can do a theme again next time around!

The next group read will be November 15-January 14

message 11: by Jalilah (new)

And if I remember correctly it's possible to nominate an entire collection of original tales rather than just one tale, unless it's a long tale.

message 12: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 84 comments Lila wrote: "And if I remember correctly it's possible to nominate an entire collection of original tales rather than just one tale, unless it's a long tale."

I was going to ask, but then I forgot to and just nominated away... Thanks for reading my mind!

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "Both my book nominations are available in dead tree form.

Kate Crackernuts is available online."

Crackernuts also pops up in many collections.

message 14: by Jalilah (last edited Oct 19, 2017 07:16AM) (new)

Kelsey wrote: "Lila wrote: "And if I remember correctly it's possible to nominate an entire collection of original tales rather than just one tale, unless it's a long tale."

I was going to ask, but then I forgot..."

In this case I'll nominate the book the tale is in Beauty and the Beast: Classic Tales About Animal Brides and Grooms from Around the World
It's been nominated before but never won.

Chris wrote: "Mary wrote: "Both my book nominations are available in dead tree form.

Kate Crackernuts is available online."

Crackernuts also pops up in many collections."

Yes it does. I read it in one of Maria Tatars collections

message 15: by Melanti (new)

Kelsey wrote: "For adult I'll nominate The Girl with Ghost Eyes which I've been meaning to read since its release. I'm a little wary of Asian-inspired fantasy written by white authors, but I've seen reviews that say it's very well-researched...."

It is.

I won't pretend it's perfect, but I know an average amount about Chinese culture, and to me how he depicted the culture/history/mythology all rung true and didn't feel forced or shoehorned in.

(And this is coming from someone who hated Cinder for how non-Chinese the setting/haracters seemed.)

message 16: by Melanti (new)

Rachel wrote: "Adult: Ancient Echoes . If that's too obscure, I'll nominate Mythago Wood."

Nope, not too obscure.
There's no problem with older, out of print stuff.

message 17: by Melanti (new)

For adult, I'm going to nominate Lavinia by Le Guin. It's been sitting on my Mt. TBR and I'd like some company to prod me to read it.

For original, I'll nominate The Arabian Nights II: Sinbad and Other Popular Stories. (Contains Sinbad, Ali Baba, Aladdin, and Qamar al Zamon and his Two Sons)

Still debating on YA.

message 18: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3491 comments Mod
For adult, I'll nominate Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King.

For YA: Briar Rose by Jane Yolen.

These are totally selfish noms. I'm trying to finish up my 2017 challenge for this group!

message 19: by Vaelkyrja (new)

Vaelkyrja | 8 comments Adult: Tapping the Dream Tree by Charles de Lint
(It's a stand-alone book even though it's technically part of a series.)

YA: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
(Fabulously written lovesong to the sea, plus kelpie folklore.)

Traditional: The Babes in the Wood by Randolph Caldecott
(Classically grim.)

message 20: by Jalilah (new)

The Polls are up until November 4th.
Time to vote!
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/3...