Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > September 2017 in Reflection - Best and Worst Reads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20254 comments Let's reflect on the best and worst of the previous month's books.....

I know I can get so focused on what is next that I forget about all the wonderful books I read for the previous month's challenges! The west is still burning and the East/Gulf coasters are still getting storms - is fall ever coming?! The news has been devastating lately, thank goodness we have our books to escape into! Seriously, what would we do without them? Happy endings make everything better. What was your saving grace last month?

Did you discover some gems last month? DNF a few? Find your new book boyfriend or a heroine who personifies TSTL? Come on, we all want to know! What were your standouts for September? Anything exciting, besides Pumpkin Spice Everything, planned for October?

message 2: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20254 comments By far my favorite read in September was a reread, in audio this time! I love the whole series, but the finale has it all for me. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is amazing, ugly crying and all!

Other standouts for me included Ride Rough, Zack, The Knocked up Plan, Chaos in Death and A Duke of Her Own.

My only dud wasn't too bad - I liked the characters and the story was ok. But the narrator was terrible, and it really affected how I felt about the book overall. Fortunately, he doesn't narrate the later books in the series so I'm willing to continue the series to learn what happens with the siblings. I do HR much better in audio, so the narrator matters, good thing there are so many good narrators out there!

message 3: by Connie N. (new)

Connie N. | 1046 comments Who was the terrible narrator, MK?

message 4: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20254 comments Connie N. wrote: "Who was the terrible narrator, MK?"

Oh that if funny, I never even put in the title! LOL =P

It was The Truth About Lord Stoneville and the narrator was James Clamp. He had an ok voice, but the characters weren't well distinguished. Except for the heroine who was American - his 'American' accent was awful! In some reviews it said he may have been trying to give her a Boston accent - did that region even have it's own accent then? Either way it was bad and she didn't sound American at all, at times I wondered if he slipped into a Scottish accent. It was not good, really it was just bad.