Start by marking “The Truth About Lord Stoneville (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Lord Stoneville (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #1)

The Truth About Lord Stoneville

(Hellions of Halstead Hall #1)

Hellions of Halstead Hall

They're the scandalous Sharpes, five hell-raising siblings tainted by a shocking family legacy. Now each faces a daunting ultimatum: marry by year's end—or kiss their inheritance good-bye.

In the two decades since a tragic "accident" took the lives of his parents, Oliver Sharpe, the Marquess of Stoneville, has survived the scandal surrounding that
Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published January 19th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published December 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Lord Stoneville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Lord Stoneville

Start your review of The Truth About Lord Stoneville (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #1)
Juliana Philippa
I'm sorry to have to say it and apparently most readers don't agree with me, but I was very disappointed by this book. I rushed out to get it before work this morning and was anticipating getting home this evening, snuggling up, and enjoying a great new read. I *never* start a book without finishing - I'm just unable to do it - but here I skimmed through about the second half of the book and will be posting it on Paperback Swap after I finish writing this review.

I'm not even going to split my
NiCoLeTa E.
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actually 4,5 stars!!! I loved it!!!

***Review will follow***
♡Karlyn P♡
3.5 - 4 stars.

This was a cute romantic historical that fans of Sabrina Jeffries will likely enjoy it. But will they LOVE it? Probably not, but they won’t hate it either. I hope.

This story had many good points and it kept me engaged until the end. It was a light steamy read, albeit predictable and at times disjointed. We meet Lord Stoneville once again (he was a side character in her previous series), and this time he is out to thwart his grandmother who controls the purse strings for the
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
“What are you doing here?” she asked.
“You forgot something when you left Halstead Hall,” he said hoarsely.
“What?” Her heart leapt into her throat as he strode purposefully toward her.
“Me.”

I buddy read this, to read all my thoughts, comments, and quotes - Truth About Lord Stoneville buddy read

This was definitely trope-y but the author infused enough charm and enticement between Oliver and Maria to have me liking this. The grandmother Hetty was a joy and the siblings also were fun to read
Nisha
For everything I heard about this book, I wasn't expecting much from Ms. Jeffries new series. I picked it up only because it was about the rakish Lord Stoneville who had graced the previous books as the notoriously wild bachelor who I was hoping to see as Cousin Michael. The fact is, SB made Stoneville's story even better since it has a largely new cast of siblings and suitors (with future love stories), a grandmother forcing them to marry (or suffer being cut off), and an American heroine. I ...more
Somia
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Relaxed Stars

I think there was potential for the story and events to lead to so much laughter and amusement but sadly that didn’t happen, although there were moments that had me smiling. The tale is somewhat sombre as Oliver aka Lord Stoneville’s present is marred by his guilt, (view spoiler). Oliver feels that he is his father’s son – debauched and irredeemable.
Cee (The Mistress Case)
DNF @ 69%

[Insert aggravated sigh] This is is one of those books where a character(s) constantly has to remind you that the main character(s) has a purpose, so you don’t notice nothing is happening. *lust between main characters* *character interaction to remind you there is a story* *lust between main characters* *character interaction to remind you there is a story* *lust between main characters* *character interaction to remind you there is a story*

I don’t buy the romance. It’s a poor example
Iliada
This was my first read by Sabrina Jeffries and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It wasn't the most original historical romance out there, but it served its purpose and it did it well in that it provided many pleasurable hours of reading that I needed very much after a very long and busy week.

The hero, Oliver, Lord Stoneville, was a rake and a rogue. He lived a care-free life, bedding as many women as possible and never caring for any of them, until the heroine came along and swept him off his feet, of
Erika
Dec 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
My first read by the author. After three chapters I couldn't read it any longer. Lots of readers enjoyed this series. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for being so patient.

IMHO, it was a super-fast-turbo-paced story. Parents die, kids blame grandmother, kids grow up, make themselves very busy, avoid marriage, grandma's pissed off, kids get ultimatum: marry or no money, deadline in one year, oldest son first in line, he loves whores, meet the heroine at brothel, heroine of course accidentally
Mei
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
A very cute historical!

Interesting enough for me to read the next one in the series! :)

I enjoyed very much the heroine, Maria! She was fresh and intelligent. Her reasoning was different from those of other heroines in HR.

I loved Gran Hetty too! Loved the way she wanted to manipulate her grandchildren! It was simple and very crafty. She used their weaknesses against them in a very cunning way!

The wakes part was the why Oliver has become a rake. It was meh... (view spoiler)
Janja
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story that pulls you and the main heroes that prove to be quite different than we thought.
Katie(babs)
Mar 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Oliver Sharpe, the Marquess of Stoneville revels in his reputation as a rake of the first water. Rumors have always persisted ever since Oliver was sixteen and his mother ended up shooting his philandering father and then herself. Oliver has always felt responsible for the death of his parents since the events leading up to the murder-suicide were increased because Oliver’s mother found him in an embarrassing situation.

Now at thirty-five, Oliver is way past the age where he should be married and
Anna D.
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, books-i-own, hr
This book brought back the feeling I had when I first discovered and fell in love with Historical Roman two years ago in 2012. There’s something about this book and the writing that takes me back to that when I was excited and immerse in it. I reveled in this story and I read it leisurely (aka unrushed). For some time now the buildup of my TBR list has made me want to read book after book trying to finish books faster than I add to my TBR list. This book, for some inexplicable reason, slowed me ...more
kris
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Oliver Sharpe, the Marquess of Stoneville, has been issued an All-Tomato by his scheming Gran: Get hitched or get poor. So he saunters into a brothel and discovers the lovely Maria Butterfield who awakens in him Feelings and Passion. Also a massive case of Boner, but the Feelings are far more troubling due to Oliver's particular brand of Man Pain, featuring guest star cynicism.

(I should note here: Maria is not a "fallen woman" in any capacity. Nope: she's your run of the mill too-innocent, naive
Cecilia
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
I used to really like Sabrina Jeffries' books, but hadn't read any for a few years. I wanted to like this one more, but it was really hard. There were a couple of sparkling moments, but more tiresome ones. The hero is 35, but acts like a sulky adolescent, with way more "wah wah wah - nobody likes me everybody hates me I think I'll be a man whore" than I personally find attractive. And never at any point did any of this even feel authentic.

The prose was surprisingly clunky for such an experienced
seton
Jul 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: d-n-f, pretend-s-o
******DNF******

I have read loads of SJ and one under her previous alias as Deborah Martin. This got me off on the wrong foot from the very beginning with the too-modern sounding vernacular and then all the sequel-baiting of what is obviously a five book series about the five siblings. The two female siblings seems the most interesting to me; the three male Sharpes far less so.

Since this book features one of the male Sharpes, meh.

The hero of the book was featured in SJ's last 2 or 3 books from
Lia
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I ready loved this one !,, I couldn't put it down until the last page
Chitra *CJ*
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: safety-first, v-card
What a wonderful start to the Hellions of Halsted series.
I absolutely adore stories with family bonds in it- and with a conniving matriarch to sweeten the pot- it was worth it.
The Stoneville family has been spending years doing as they please- spending money and enjoying their pursuits.
When their grandmother finally puts a stipulation in their will that affects everyone, the story begins. All the five kids- Oliver, Minerva, Gabe, Jarret and Celia should marry before the year is up or they'll
Becky
This book was amazing!!! 5 stars. I’m keeping it forever.

The storyline involves a broken Marquess, Oliver, who is ordered by his grandmother to marry before a year passed. The heroine, Maria, crosses paths with him while searching for her missing fiancé. She is from America.

I loved this story so much. First of all, I loved every character in the book. The entire family I enjoyed. I especially love feisty old ladies that the hero has a soft spot for (“Gran”). I truly enjoyed the heroine and am
willaful
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers wanting historical popcorn
I found Jeffries "School for Heiresses" series pretty meh, so I didn't have high expectations for this one. To my surprise, I enjoyed it. Admittedly, there's not an original word, theme or character in the book, but it all flows nicely, the family of sequel-bait siblings is likable, and nothing about it drove me up the wall or made me gasp, "but... what about... that doesn't make any... GAH!" Sometimes that's all I hope for.
Kelsey
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with Whiskey and Locus :)

“We make quite a pair, don’t we?” he said, and glanced at the couples swirling around them. “Here we are, dancing to the silliest music ever written, surrounded by hundreds making small talk, yet all we can speak of is brothels and death.”

I'm coming to love buddy reads because they force me to slow down, find quotes I like, and really take time to digest characters and motives. And doing so made me love this book.

Oliver and Maria have the kind of witty banter
Insh
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
“Men marry for the same reason women marry.
Because they fall in love.”
“Love is just a fancy word for lust.”

Jacqueline's Reads
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, v-card
3.75 Stars

I’ve been wanting to try a Sabrina Jeffries book for awhile. I didn’t like the storyline of this one too much but the writing style wasn’t so bad. I liked that she writes more dialogue based books, although it’s a tough slow for my pace. I do like that she writes with a touch of steam, which is more than I can say for a lot of the historical romance authors.

Maria is an American heiress and she is looking for her the man she is suppose to be engaged with. Don’t worry it’s not a love
Jane Stewart
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
3 stars. If you’re in the mood for historical romance, it’s pretty good.

It’s pleasant and enjoyable, but kind of forgettable.

The characters are typical and likeable. Maria is honest with principles. Oliver is tormented by something in his past and believes he’s no good, so he acts that way. Maria sees the good in him. Grandmother Hetty has given her grandchildren an ultimatum. She’s fun to watch.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 3rd person. Story length: 392 pages. Swearing language: mild including
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Hellions of Halstead Hall by Sabrina Jeffries. Likable characters and a fun read. Gran has decided her grandchildren need to marry and gives them one year to do so or they will be disinherited. In an attempt to change her mind, Oliver decides to look for his "bride" at a brothel. Maria has come to England to look for her fiance who has disappeared. Her and her cousin, Freddie, end up at a brothel where they followed a lead to. Oliver persuades Maria to pretend to be his ...more
Nisha
I love Lord Stoneville, Oliver. He's such a sweetie under all that roguishness. Maria is perfect as his counterpart, dealing with his angst by simply accepting him.

This time, I read this as an audiobook. I enjoyed it just as much as the first time. Maybe even more. The narrator was male, but that did nothing to reduce my enjoyment. The only time I questioned listening to the book was when I got to one of the love scenes when Oliver says "Mine, mine, all mine." That was a little too corny and
Holly
Sabrina Jeffries is hit or miss for me, but I really adored this book.

I really enjoyed both Oliver and Maria, as well as all the secondary characters. Especially Oliver's siblings and Maria's cousin. The love story was sweet.

Oliver's guilt over the death of his parents and his subsequent actions didn't make a lot of sense to me, but I was able to move past that.

sparklyunikorn
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
i should've picked sabrina jeffries' book sooner and to wait this long after all these years, i just cannot believe myself.

what i liked
- wicked sense of humour amongst characters
- maria's positive perspective over people
- sharpe family

what i disliked
- too much of angsty it was tiresome
- oliver's behaviours at times
Susanne
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 Really Good But Forgettable Stars
Niki
Oliver Sharpe, the Marquess of Stoneville, has dealt with the pain and guilt he feels at his parents' deaths by living as a debauched rake for the past 19 years. His grandmother, Hettie Plumtree, a common born brewery owner, is determined to have her legacy carried on and to have great-grandchildren before she dies. To see this done Hester vows to disinherit each of her five grandchildren and will the brewery to a hated cousin if all five of the so-called Hellions of Halstead Hall do not marry ...more

• Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)
  • Thief of Hearts
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Reforming a Rake (With This Ring, #1)
  • The Rake (Lessons in Love, #1)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • His Every Kiss (Guilty, #2)
  • Much Ado About You (Essex Sisters, #1)
  • My Dangerous Duke (Inferno Club, #2)
  • Lord of Temptation (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #2)
  • Lord of Wicked Intentions (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #3)
  • Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1)
  • She Tempts the Duke (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #1)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • A Whisper of Roses
  • A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1)
Sabrina Jeffries is the NYT bestselling author of over 50 novels and works of short fiction (some written under the pseudonyms Deborah Martin and Deborah Nicholas). Whatever time not spent writing in a coffee-fueled haze of dreams and madness is spent traveling with her husband and adult autistic son or indulging in one of her passions—jigsaw puzzles, chocolate, and music. With over 9 million ...more

Hellions of Halstead Hall (6 books)
  • A Hellion in Her Bed (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #2)
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
  • To Wed a Wild Lord (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #4)
  • A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)
  • 'Twas the Night after Christmas (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #6; The Duke's Men, #0.5)
“What are you doing here?" she asked.
"You forgot something when you left Halstead Hall," he said hoarsely.
"What?"
Her heart lept into her throat as he strode purposefully toward her. "Me.”
30 likes