Start by marking “The Truth About Lord Stoneville (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Lord Stoneville (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #1)

The Truth About Lord Stoneville (Hellions of Halstead Hall #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  7,713 Ratings  ·  451 Reviews
Hellions of Halstead Hall

They're the scandalous Sharpes, five hell-raising siblings tainted by a shocking family legacy. Now each faces a daunting ultimatum: marry by year's end—or kiss their inheritance good-bye.

In the two decades since a tragic "accident" took the lives of his parents, Oliver Sharpe, the Marquess of Stoneville, has survived the scandal surrounding that f
Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published January 19th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published December 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Lord Stoneville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Lord Stoneville

Juliana Philippa
I'm sorry to have to say it and apparently most readers don't agree with me, but I was very disappointed by this book. I rushed out to get it before work this morning and was anticipating getting home this evening, snuggling up, and enjoying a great new read. I *never* start a book without finishing - I'm just unable to do it - but here I skimmed through about the second half of the book and will be posting it on Paperback Swap after I finish writing this review.

I'm not even going to split my c
NiCoLeTa E.
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actually 4,5 stars!!! I loved it!!!

***Review will follow***
♡Karlyn P♡
3.5 - 4 stars.

This was a cute romantic historical that fans of Sabrina Jeffries will likely enjoy it. But will they LOVE it? Probably not, but they won’t hate it either. I hope.

This story had many good points and it kept me engaged until the end. It was a light steamy read, albeit predictable and at times disjointed. We meet Lord Stoneville once again (he was a side character in her previous series), and this time he is out to thwart his grandmother who controls the purse strings for the entir
Nisha
For everything I heard about this book, I wasn't expecting much from Ms. Jeffries new series. I picked it up only because it was about the rakish Lord Stoneville who had graced the previous books as the notoriously wild bachelor who I was hoping to see as Cousin Michael. The fact is, SB made Stoneville's story even better since it has a largely new cast of siblings and suitors (with future love stories), a grandmother forcing them to marry (or suffer being cut off), and an American heroine. I ca ...more
Karina Garcia
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro es el único que leí de Sabrina Jeffries y fue hace tiempo.
Me gusto muchísimo, tanto que lamente y lamento que aún no se hayan traducido el resto de los libros que componen la serie.
Cee (The Mistress Case)
DNF @ 69%

[Insert aggravated sigh] This is is one of those books where a character(s) constantly has to remind you that the main character(s) has a purpose, so you don’t notice nothing is happening. *lust between main characters* *character interaction to remind you there is a story* *lust between main characters* *character interaction to remind you there is a story* *lust between main characters* *character interaction to remind you there is a story*

I don’t buy the romance. It’s a poor example
Sombra
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pesar de ser un libro en el que la trama se sabe desde un principio y no tiene ningún enredo añadido, lo cierto es que he disfrutado muchísimo a la hora de leerlo.
Normalmente cuando alguno de los protagonistas y más ellas, son americanas, el libro me suele gustar más porque siempre aportan más toques de humor y sentido común que algunas protagonistas propias de la sociedad británica.

Oliver al principio era un personaje que no me gustaba nada, pero a medida que vas leyendo, te das cuenta de por
Erika
Dec 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
My first read by the author. After three chapters I couldn't read it any longer. Lots of readers enjoyed this series. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for being so patient.

IMHO, it was a super-fast-turbo-paced story. Parents die, kids blame grandmother, kids grow up, make themselves very busy, avoid marriage, grandma's pissed off, kids get ultimatum: marry or no money, deadline in one year, oldest son first in line, he loves whores, meet the heroine at brothel, heroine of course accidentally the
Kübra Yağmur
Oliver <3 Çok zeki olduğunu zanneden, ava giderken avlanan sevgili lordum. Sen cidden o büyükannen olacak çatma şeytanı kandırıp dize getirebileceğini mi düşünüyordun?

Historical temalı kitaba XXI. yüzyıl modası bir gelinlikten kapak yapmakta ayrı bir trajikomedi.
Zairobe25
Entretenido, hubo cosas de la redacción que no me gustaron, el uso de algunas expresiones y palabras que no me parecieron acordes a la época, no se si es la traducción o es la autora que escribe así, ya que es el primer libro que leo de ella.
Iliada
This was my first read by Sabrina Jeffries and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It wasn't the most original historical romance out there, but it served its purpose and it did it well in that it provided many pleasurable hours of reading that I needed very much after a very long and busy week.

The hero, Oliver, Lord Stoneville, was a rake and a rogue. He lived a care-free life, bedding as many women as possible and never caring for any of them, until the heroine came along and swept him off his feet, of c
Mei
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
A very cute historical!

Interesting enough for me to read the next one in the series! :)

I enjoyed very much the heroine, Maria! She was fresh and intelligent. Her reasoning was different from those of other heroines in HR.

I loved Gran Hetty too! Loved the way she wanted to manipulate her grandchildren! It was simple and very crafty. She used their weaknesses against them in a very cunning way!

The wakes part was the why Oliver has become a rake. It was meh... (view spoiler)
Katie(babs)
Mar 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Oliver Sharpe, the Marquess of Stoneville revels in his reputation as a rake of the first water. Rumors have always persisted ever since Oliver was sixteen and his mother ended up shooting his philandering father and then herself. Oliver has always felt responsible for the death of his parents since the events leading up to the murder-suicide were increased because Oliver’s mother found him in an embarrassing situation.

Now at thirty-five, Oliver is way past the age where he should be married and
kris
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Oliver Sharpe, the Marquess of Stoneville, has been issued an All-Tomato by his scheming Gran: Get hitched or get poor. So he saunters into a brothel and discovers the lovely Maria Butterfield who awakens in him Feelings and Passion. Also a massive case of Boner, but the Feelings are far more troubling due to Oliver's particular brand of Man Pain©, featuring guest star cynicism.

(I should note here: Maria is not a "fallen woman" in any capacity. Nope: she's your run of the mill too-innocent, naiv
Anna D.
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, books-i-own, hr
This book brought back the feeling I had when I first discovered and fell in love with Historical Roman two years ago in 2012. There’s something about this book and the writing that takes me back to that when I was excited and immerse in it. I reveled in this story and I read it leisurely (aka unrushed). For some time now the buildup of my TBR list has made me want to read book after book trying to finish books faster than I add to my TBR list. This book, for some inexplicable reason, slowed me ...more
Cecilia
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
I used to really like Sabrina Jeffries' books, but hadn't read any for a few years. I wanted to like this one more, but it was really hard. There were a couple of sparkling moments, but more tiresome ones. The hero is 35, but acts like a sulky adolescent, with way more "wah wah wah - nobody likes me everybody hates me I think I'll be a man whore" than I personally find attractive. And never at any point did any of this even feel authentic.

The prose was surprisingly clunky for such an experienced
seton
Jul 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: d-n-f, pretend-s-o
******DNF******

I have read loads of SJ and one under her previous alias as Deborah Martin. This got me off on the wrong foot from the very beginning with the too-modern sounding vernacular and then all the sequel-baiting of what is obviously a five book series about the five siblings. The two female siblings seems the most interesting to me; the three male Sharpes far less so.

Since this book features one of the male Sharpes, meh.

The hero of the book was featured in SJ's last 2 or 3 books from t
Riz
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-romance, hr
3.75 Stars

Walaupun ceritanya menarik, tapi gua agak bosan sama storyline-nya Ms.Jeffries di beberapa judulnya akhir-akhir ini, terlalu mirip.
Lia
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I ready loved this one !,, I couldn't put it down until the last page
Chitra *CJ*
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: safety-first, v-card
What a wonderful start to the Hellions of Halsted series.
I absolutely adore stories with family bonds in it- and with a conniving matriarch to sweeten the pot- it was worth it.
The Stoneville family has been spending years doing as they please- spending money and enjoying their pursuits.
When their grandmother finally puts a stipulation in their will that affects everyone, the story begins. All the five kids- Oliver, Minerva, Gabe, Jarret and Celia should marry before the year is up or they'll los
Vichy
Σιγά το μυστικό! (view spoiler) Στην αρχή ήταν διασκεδαστικό και promising αλλά σιγά σιγά βάλτωσε και έλεγα να το τελειώσω.
Susanne
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 Really Good But Forgettable Stars
Soany
2.75
Una historia bastante floja, que se alarga demasiado en un mismo tema y no avanza sino que se da círculos en lo mismo una y otra vez. Un secreto obvio desde el principio y no ayuda que uno de sus protagonistas se comporte como un tonto y libertino hecho para estar con muchas mujeres pero en poco de conocer a la prota ya este pensando en el matrimonio.
María si me gusto y más por como ponía en su lugar a Oliver, se defendía y no caía con facilidad en sus redes de seducción.
Por lo demás todo pr
Inshirah Kamal
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
“Men marry for the same reason women marry.
Because they fall in love.”
“Love is just a fancy word for lust.”

Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Hellions of Halstead Hall by Sabrina Jeffries. Likable characters and a fun read. Gran has decided her grandchildren need to marry and gives them one year to do so or they will be disinherited. In an attempt to change her mind, Oliver decides to look for his "bride" at a brothel. Maria has come to England to look for her fiance who has disappeared. Her and her cousin, Freddie, end up at a brothel where they followed a lead to. Oliver persuades Maria to pretend to be his fia ...more
Jane Stewart
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
3 stars. If you’re in the mood for historical romance, it’s pretty good.

It’s pleasant and enjoyable, but kind of forgettable.

The characters are typical and likeable. Maria is honest with principles. Oliver is tormented by something in his past and believes he’s no good, so he acts that way. Maria sees the good in him. Grandmother Hetty has given her grandchildren an ultimatum. She’s fun to watch.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 3rd person. Story length: 392 pages. Swearing language: mild including religiou
Nisha
I love Lord Stoneville, Oliver. He's such a sweetie under all that roguishness. Maria is perfect as his counterpart, dealing with his angst by simply accepting him.

This time, I read this as an audiobook. I enjoyed it just as much as the first time. Maybe even more. The narrator was male, but that did nothing to reduce my enjoyment. The only time I questioned listening to the book was when I got to one of the love scenes when Oliver says "Mine, mine, all mine." That was a little too corny and act
willaful
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers wanting historical popcorn
I found Jeffries "School for Heiresses" series pretty meh, so I didn't have high expectations for this one. To my surprise, I enjoyed it. Admittedly, there's not an original word, theme or character in the book, but it all flows nicely, the family of sequel-bait siblings is likable, and nothing about it drove me up the wall or made me gasp, "but... what about... that doesn't make any... GAH!" Sometimes that's all I hope for.
Holly
Sabrina Jeffries is hit or miss for me, but I really adored this book.

I really enjoyed both Oliver and Maria, as well as all the secondary characters. Especially Oliver's siblings and Maria's cousin. The love story was sweet.

Oliver's guilt over the death of his parents and his subsequent actions didn't make a lot of sense to me, but I was able to move past that.

• After Dark with a Scoundrel (Lords of Vice, #3)
  • A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers’ Club #2)
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, #4.5)
  • Passions of a Wicked Earl (London's Greatest Lovers, #1)
  • Seven Secrets of Seduction (Secrets, #1)
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
  • Ten Things I Love About You (Bevelstoke, #3)
  • Provocative in Pearls (The Rarest Blooms #2)
  • Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
Sabrina Jeffries is the NYT bestselling author of over 50 novels and works of short fiction (some written under the pseudonyms Deborah Martin and Deborah Nicholas). Whatever time not spent writing in a coffee-fueled haze of dreams and madness is spent traveling with her husband and adult autistic son or indulging in one of her passions—jigsaw puzzles, chocolate, and music. With over 9 million book ...more
More about Sabrina Jeffries...

Hellions of Halstead Hall (6 books)
  • A Hellion in Her Bed (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #2)
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
  • To Wed a Wild Lord (Hellions of Halstead Hall #4)
  • A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)
  • 'Twas the Night after Christmas (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #6; The Duke's Men, #0.5)
“No one in life can ever match fiction” 28 likes
“What are you doing here?" she asked.
"You forgot something when you left Halstead Hall," he said hoarsely.
"What?"
Her heart lept into her throat as he strode purposefully toward her. "Me.”
27 likes