ARCs Anonymous discussion

General Group Talk > Welcome to the group! Introduction thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 219 comments Mod
Hi all and welcome to #ARCsAnonymous! We know your woes. This is the thread where you introduce yourself and tell us about your bookish sins. I will start!

My name is Evelina. I am an ARCoholic! I have over 100 unread ARCs (woe is me...).
I have also read amazing books and never written reviews for them, because what if I can't do the book justice??

Your turn!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris (xokristim) | 2 comments Hi! I'm Kristi and I have an addiction to Netgalley 🙈 I believe my ARC count is around 30+ I'm trying to make a dent but there are just so many new amazing books coming out lately ahhhh

message 3: by Belle (new)

Belle | 8 comments Mod
Hi, I'm Belle! I currently have 4 unread NetGalley ARCs, but that's just because I stopped requesting stuff! I have probably ~20 print ARCs, plus a bunch of published books I just haven't read. And I'm waaaaaaaay behind on writing reviews. *shame*

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindaslittlelibrary) | 2 comments Hello I'm Linda. And I have nowhere near as many ARCs as you guys, but the ones I have I'm so behind on that I really need this group to help me read them!

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Hi everyone! My name is Sheila. I'll admit that I have an...issue...with requesting ARCs. Just as I thought I was getting better, I opened an account with Edelweiss. WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF!? Well, because I want more books, that's why. But now my TBR has a personal vendetta to bring me as much anxiety as it can (on a daily basis). I have about 50 ARCs that I need to complete. Some are for 2018, so I can put those off a LITTLE bit. Anyways, I'll take any suggestions I can get to help get caught up, and stay on top of my ARC TBRs!

I am so happy all of you have joined! Although I know most of you, but I guess most of you don't know.. the other part of most of you xD

Basically: EXCITE

Kris, I'm also totally addicted to NetGalley. Belle, I am proud of you! You've stopped requesting! Linda, I'm happy you don't have near as many. Good job :D Sheila! I know what you mean, Edelweiss is damn awesome as well, and the best (worst) thing – IT DOES NOT HAVE A FEEDBACK RATIO. So basically? Nothing stopping you from requesting more D:

message 7: by Simant (new)

Simant Verma (allthatissim) Hi all, I am Simant. I am a NetGalley addict too 🙈 I guess I have the most number of unread ARCs from NetGalley probably around 50 🙈 I know. I seriously hope that I can get over that pile sooner 😀

On no, dear Sim!! You don't have the most :D I have almost 100!!!

message 9: by Savannah (new)

Savannah (the_book_prophet) | 2 comments hey everyone! i'm savannah and i've only had netgalley for a few months so i don't have that many unread arcs but still thought i'd want to be part of this group :)

Welcome Savannah! It's never too early :D

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Northern Plunder) (northernplunder) Hi I'm Lauren and if we ignore NetGalley my physical ARC pile is just below 30 I reckon. Even though I've been blogging since 2011 this was the first year I got any hence why its so low.

I'm close to finishing one this week but whew it is a daunting pile regardless.

Ty to my lovely friend Blue for the invite.

Welcome, Lauren! Nice to meet you. I hope you can have fun and also cut down on those ARCs :) don't forget to vote in the poll for picking out October theme :)

message 13: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "I am so happy all of you have joined! Although I know most of you, but I guess most of you don't know.. the other part of most of you xD

Basically: EXCITE

Kris, I'm also totally addicted to Net..."

Ohhhh, WHY must you tell me these things!? :P

message 14: by Grace (new)

Grace (turnspageslowly) | 13 comments Hello! I'm Grace, and I'm socially awkward. Please forgive any faux pas on my part. I'm not quite as addicted to NetGalley as some of you appear to be, & I don't even have an Edelweiss account. I am kind of request happy though, as my list has grown to ~20-25 books. I am guilty of letting them be published before getting around to reading them, and I'm so hoping this group is the motivation I need!

message 15: by Belle (new)

Belle | 8 comments Mod
Hi Grace!! I have the SAME problem, and even if I do read before publication, I don't publish a review! Hope we can encourage each other. :)

message 16: by USOM (new)

USOM (utopia-state-of-mind) Hi I'm Lili and I will not count the arcs left because I'm not going to drop myself down that hole today.

message 17: by Adele (new)

Adele | 20 comments Hello, I'm Adele. I'm an ARCoholic, and regularly check Netgalley for new reads to talk about on my blog. I currently have over 70+ish ARCs that I've got to read. Some I have to buy via amazon or maybe the library has them? Who knows! All I know is that I'm way behind on my galley's.

It's nice to meet you all! :)

Hi Grace, welcome! We are all bookworms here, and bookworms are all at least a little socially awkward 😃 I'm sure you'll fit right in 😊

Hi Lili, you don't have to count! Let's hope we can at least knock ONE brick off that wall in October though 😂

Adele! Welcome, and let me tell you something that will change your life forever 😃 you don't have to have expired ARCs anymore! Anything downloaded to a kindle, even if it's the kindle PHONE APP will never expire! So if you don't have a regular kindle, just download the phone app, click send to kindle on NetGalley and never lose your ARC again 😃 (dang that sounded like an infomercial...)

And hi Shawn, welcome! The first step to bliss (or hell...) would be to count your ARCs 😃

message 19: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Buller (lucybuller) | 2 comments Hi y’all! I’m Lucy and I have about 30 ARCs! While I won’t be participating in the part of the group where you don’t request new ARCs, I’m excited to join in on the themed reads!

Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫ (lindsaysingerofstories) Hey e'rebody! I'm Lindsay and I love me some ARCs and ARC-hunting! NetGalley is my favorite, though I do have Edelweiss. I think I've read about 30 ARCs through NG, I have about 15 on my shelf, and I have about 10-15 more downloaded into my Kindle app waiting to be read. PLUS I have over 50 hard copy ARCs on my shelf that need to be cracked open!!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (aweebishbookblog) | 7 comments Hi, I'm Sarah! I'm also an ARC Addict. Sadly, I'm also a mood reader, which doesn't always help me get review read and written in time. *hangs head* I have 56 ARCs in need of reviewing. I'm so ashamed. Those include audiobooks, ebooks/eARCs physical arcs and any books sent for review. I didn't include the books randomly sent for review consideration in genres I'm not interested in.

Anywoo, I'm hoping to cut a swath thru my ARCs, cut down on the TBR pile, but I probably won't stop accepting books for review... I can't seem to help myself. I have cut down on the intake of books for review, though.

Sam - Spines in a Line (spinesinaline) | 10 comments Hi everyone, I'm Sam! I have had the same problem with NetGalley as many of you, and also an inability to say no to many of the requests that come my way so this sounds like an excellent group!

I probably won't be participating in reading in the first couple months cause I'm right in the thick of school but I'll be with you in spirit!

Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer (yaykisspurr) | 3 comments Hi all! I'm Dani and I am totally addicted to requesting and accepting ARCs.

The real danger for me is getting books that are ALREADY published... I never seem to get to these? I do great if I have a due date out in the future that I can plan toward though I do request A LOT and end up only reading ARCs which I want to stop!!

Thanks for the invite Evelina!

message 24: by imyril (new)

imyril Hiya, I’m Anna and I haven’t counted my ARCs but it’s somewhere in the 15-20 I think - enough to make me feel guilty as some are over a year old 0.0

I’m going to try to make a dent this autumn, so I’m hoping this group will help me stay focused!

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 9 comments I am terrified to say I have 120+ ARCs to read. Plus I request more at least weekly because I'm crazy. My hubby doesn't care about the ARCs cause he can't visually see most of them (you know ebooks).
He does however have a problem with the 500+ print books I have that I haven't read. It's the overflowing bookshelf of print books that others notice but I think my ARC backlog is more embarrassing!
Oh yeah I got problems!!

It's soooo awesome to hear about how I'm not the only one. A friend did the math for me the other day and even if I read 100+ books a year for the next 10 years and read NOTHING else I'd probably still barely catch up on books o haven't read and own in print or digitally. So I'm hoping immortality is discovered real soon!

Ooh, this is gonna be a long one... But rest assured that I have answered everyone personally :D

Hi Lucy, and I am sure I will be requesting new ARCs as well :D my goal here is to knock down some old ARCs while I'm at it, hahaha! Welcome :)

Welcome Lindsay! I am feeling better already because it seems all of you have a lot of ARCs too :D I only have 2 paper ARCs though, cause INTERNATIONAL ;___; reading one of them right now!

Hi Sarah, and welcome - I am a mood reader too, which is why I have this ARC problem in the first place, I think :D don't worry, I have 90+ ARCs! We are here to help :D yes, you should totally not count unsolicited. Those are not your fault!! I am also not kidding myself, I will not stop requesting :D but! I will think better before requesting ;)

Hi Sam, welcome and it's absolutely fine to lurk :) you can still come here and chat with us even if you don't read along. And brag about any new ARCs you get! There is a special topic for that :) if we are not able to read them, at least we can show them off!

Hi Dani, I'm so glad to see you here joining us :) you're right, the already published ones... When I click "request" I'm all like "well that's a goner..." But at the same time! It's not like I can let them go, huh?? Think of the losses! :D

Hi Anna (imyril), I am so glad you joined cause I keep thinking I should interact with you and your blog more, but the time keeps going somewhere :D #guilt lol. So I'm so glad that you're joining us here! Some of mine are also a year old :D you are not alone!

Mel! Wow! You actually have more than me! Well, I think you might need to stop going to NetGalley because it's for the best :D But I also have 500+ books, although most are ebooks (which is good in this case). I also did the math several months ago, and I'm like... Well, this is going to take a few years, probably.. :D no worries. At least we're all together in this now :D

Thanks for joining everyone and don't forget to vote in the poll! It ends on Sunday :) on Monday we are all picking out book to read this month and sharing and putting them on our group shelf :)

message 27: by Samantha (WLABB) (new)

Samantha (WLABB) (samanthawlabb) I am Sam. I have about 60 digital ARCs I am working my way through, and a LOT of unread physical ARCs, which I am much slower to commute, since they are harder to read then the digital books on my commute.

Caro | Mintcolouredpages (mintcolouredpages) | 4 comments Hi everyone! I'm Caro and I might have way more pending requests on Netgalley than actual ARCs at the moment so I'm kinda scared if they are all getting approved. Apart from that, there's of course the usual tbr pile sitting in a forgotten corner :'D

message 29: by Samantha (WLABB) (new)

Samantha (WLABB) (samanthawlabb) @Caro - I have the massive backup in digital ARCs because of Edelweiss. My requests pend so long, that I keep requesting, thinking that I am just being declined, then I get like 20 at once.

Caro | Mintcolouredpages (mintcolouredpages) | 4 comments @Sam oh god yes. Whenever that happens I'm like yay all the books and then I remember that I need to read all of them soonish

Sam, yes! E-books are perfect for commutes! I would also always bring my kindle when I had to go on long commutes cause I would always feel like I would "run out" :D

Caro, welcome!

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiejudgesbooks) | 8 comments Hi! I'm Kaja/Katie (prefer Katie on internet :)) and I have about ... 30 netgalley ARCs to read...and of course, a whole lot of books that I still have to review, but have already been published. I'm still not too used to Edelweiss so I only have like 4 books there :)

Welcome to the group Katie! That's not a very daunting number, but hopefully you'll be able to cut it down with our help :)

message 34: by Jackie B. - (new)

Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku (reiwing2040) | 5 comments Salutations! I’m Jackie B, book blogger @ Death by Tsundoku. I have only around 30 ARCs from NetGalley, but I sadly haven’t counted the books I’ve received from authors and failed to review. I am woefully delinquent in some cases over a year!

I am ready to confront my mistakes and work on improving them. Help me, ARCaholics! You’re my only hope.

Jackie is in the house!! Welcome!

message 36: by Adele (new)

Adele | 20 comments Yeah! Thankfully that is indeed a Thing. There are a few though (like 10) that I didn't download to my kindle app, so I'm in this limbo without knowing what to do about it. (I've just been borrowing the ones I can from libraries, and waiting for the cheapest prices on Amazon or the like, haha.

Well, the recommended ratio IS 80%, so even if you miss some you can still reach it :) there was one I also missed because it was pdf-only! And then I forgot it xD it was when I'd just signed up. Whoops...

message 38: by Shruti (new)

Shruti Ramanujam (shrutiramanujam) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Shruti and I'm an ARCoholic. I have around 15 print ARCs that need to be read and reviewed.

I'm currently on a self-imposed NetGalley ban and I edited my review policy to say that I accepted only print copies. Why did I do that? I thought authors wouldn't be willing to send books all the way to India. Did it help? Nope.

I don't feel bad about the pending ARCs though because they're all books with amazing reviews and have excellent blurbs. Let's hope for the best!

:D I can't believe the ebook ban didn't work :D
Welcome, Shruti!

message 40: by Anne Clarence (new)

Anne Clarence (The Reading Life) (anneclarenceblogger) | 4 comments Hi Evelina~! You already know who I am XD. Thank to so much for inviting me to join this group! This is a fantastic idea.

Welcome Anne, so glad to have you join us too 😊

message 42: by Bethan (new)

Bethan Hindmarch (bethanmay) | 14 comments Hi everyone, I'm Beth (Bethan May Books on WordPress)

Thanks Evelina for creating this fab group! It's great that we can all have somewhere to motivate each other :D

I don't have many ARCs from Netgalley to get through currently, as I was advised early on by Erin the Bluestocking Bookworm not to go crazy on there, and that advice has really paid off.

My problem... I am a sucker for flattery. And when authors get in touch on either twitter or through my blog, and compliment my reviewing style, and claim they'd love me to review their work, I really struggle to say no! I turned down my first author just the other day and I felt AWFUL

Looking forward to participating in Creeptober and seeing what the rest of you are reading!

message 43: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Mel (Epic Reading) wrote: "I am terrified to say I have 120+ ARCs to read. Plus I request more at least weekly because I'm crazy. My hubby doesn't care about the ARCs cause he can't visually see most of them (you know ebooks..."

"So I'm hoping immortality is discovered real soon!"

Hahaha! Mel! Agreed!

Hi Beth! Very glad to have you here too :) I really hope we can motivate each other well and we're all active and we read as many ARCs as possible :)
I think eventually we can have our own readathon, maybe... But not yet! :D time, time, time...

Hahah, Beth, that's really funny, but I can understand it, cause I also find it hard to say no :D but it's harder for me with NetGalley...

message 45: by Bethan (new)

Bethan Hindmarch (bethanmay) | 14 comments Grace wrote: "Hello! I'm Grace, and I'm socially awkward. Please forgive any faux pas on my part. I'm not quite as addicted to NetGalley as some of you appear to be, & I don't even have an Edelweiss account. I a..."
Ha ha Grace me too! I don't have Edelweiss either =s

And that's probably a good thing 😃

message 47: by Nicky (new)

Nicky ❤️ Mommy and Bella Read (mommyandbellaread) | 4 comments Hello everyone! Here I am, late as usual 😭😭😭 (I can't even say hello on time so it's no wonder I'm late reading so many books!)

My name is Nicky and I was sooo excited to start book blogging that I opened a netgalley account but found the pending time so long that I let my profile be added to "tweetyourbooks" and now I am being bombarded with pdf's directly to my email plus the occasional print copy. Now I have an e-arc pile of around 50 and a print arc pile of about 10 and yet I still go buy books.

I guess the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem 😂
But it is nice to see I'm not alone.

message 48: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) Hi everyone, I'm Melanie and I have an addiction to ARCs. I currently have 120 ARCs to read. Here's the breakdown...

1 E-ARC direct from author
2 Penguin First to Read
10 Edelweiss
30 Netgalley
77 Print ARCs

Plus I have 3 ARCs I've read and still need to write reviews for (and an additional 9 non-ARCs I've read and need to review).

I have such a problem saying no to books. I just want to read all the things.

Nicky - welcome!!! I feel like I both want to know more about tweetyourbooks and also don't :D are the books good quality? Because I've signed up for a few more services that do review programs, but they don't even come close to NetGalley or Edelweiss (in short? I would never even look in the direction of the books they try to push at people, super low quality). So now I'm curious about the tweetyourbooks one :D
BTW, no matter that you're late. This group basically exists because you answered my comment and said it would be cool to actually have this :D you can pick your book now, the theme is Creeptober! So start reading ;)

Melanie - hi! Nice to have you with us. You have pretty much as many as I do!!! I am so happy I'm not alone :D that's a lot of print ARCs, most of mine are eARCs. I hope we can motivate you to read. Be sure to pick your theme book and comment in the book you choose for October discussion thread :)

message 50: by Nicky (new)

Nicky ❤️ Mommy and Bella Read (mommyandbellaread) | 4 comments Evalina, it was one of those things that popped up in my twitter feed and basically you can have your blog listed on a site called tweet your books where newer authors go to find reviewers... so in answer to your question I think it'd be a no. I have gotten some great quality books from authors I think will make it big but I've also been bombarded with books from authors I'd never want to read from again.
For October's creepy theme I think I'm selecting The Queen's spy. Not horror by any means, but should be a fun historical fiction murder mystery :)

« previous 1