ARCs Anonymous discussion

ARCtober (...you get it) > Creeptober wins! What books do you choose?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 219 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

as you might have expected, Creeptober won!

So now that we've got the emotion out of the way, let's start talking about the reading. What's the plan???

1. You approach your huuuuge [virtual or not] pile of ARCs

2. You pick one that matches the Creeptober theme

3. If you fail to find one that is creepy enough, anything with magic, witches, dark fantasy or mysteries/death will do. We want you to read even if the theme is hard to accomodate!

4. You come to this thread and post a link to your book, and tell us in short what the book is about and what you expect from it. Please use the add book/author option that you can right right above the box you're writing the post in! That way I will be able to know which book it is and I'll be able to put it on the group shelf for everyone to see.

5. As you're reading, don't be shy and drop by the discussion thread! Doesn't matter that we're all reading different books, we can still discuss. Share what the most exciting part of the book for you. Share if you're being bored to death and going to DNF. I will try to ask discussion questions if I come up with any to facilitate discussion!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate and ask!

I'll be waiting for the books you've all picked for the theme :)

message 2: by Simant (new)

Simant Verma (allthatissim) I a choosing a thriller/mystery book: Unlawful Justice I got it for review and I am so excited to read it.

It is a legal thriller with lots of drama moving from crime scenes to courtroom with lots of twists and turns. I can share more, once I start reading it :)

message 3: by Amalia (new)

Amalia Gkavea I am currently reading Haunted Nights Haunted Nights by Ellen Datlow by Ellen Datlow. A collection of creepy tales dedicated to Halloween. There are haunted houses, spectres in the night, everything...

message 4: by Sheila (last edited Oct 09, 2017 04:58AM) (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Although it's not so "creepy," I'll be reading:
Death By Wolf Bite (Wolf Bite Trilogy #1) by J.M. Clinton
I received a copy of Death By Wolf Bite from the author (a while ago) and really need to get it done! It's about vampires, wolves, and the like.

message 5: by Bethan (last edited Oct 09, 2017 05:06AM) (new)

Bethan Hindmarch (bethanmay) | 14 comments Dadeni | Dracula

Hi everyone!

The ARC I'm currently reading *should* fit into creeptober... Apparently it's a mixture of fantasy, Welsh myths and the da Vinci code...
It hasn't gripped me yet. The first chapter did feature a ghost-funeral though!

I've also included Dracula; it was the book very aptly drawn for this month's book club. I'm very much looking forward to it, one of those books I've always wanted to read but never have.

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Bethan wrote: "Dadeni | Dracula

Hi everyone!

The ARC I'm currently reading *should* fit into creeptober... Apparently it's a mixture of fantasy, Welsh myths and the da Vinci code...."

Dracula is always a good choice! :D

message 7: by Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (last edited Oct 09, 2017 05:48AM) (new)

Bethan is right! You all can totally pick more than one book if you want! At first I thought maybe I shouldn't put Dracula on the list, since it's not an ARC and Bethan's already got a book for Creeptober, but I'll just make a separate shelf for these kinds of reads.

I have put them all into the group shelf, with you as the discussion leader for your own book ;) (my inner OCD demon is very happy at all these settings possibilities.)

Waiting up for everyone else's books!

message 8: by Belle (new)

Belle | 8 comments Mod
I know I have some print ARCs to read, but they're not in front of me right now, so I'll just add the digital ones for now. Also, I don't read creepy things generally, so I'm just picking the darker books on my stack.

I have a digital review copy of The Book Reapers that I need to read, and I might also try to get through The Infinite Now, which is more dark fantasy (but it talks about superstition, which seems sorta creepy).

I will need extra encouragement to get through ARCs this month because I *finally* got to visit our local library and I have a huge stack that I'm devouring.

Also, I need to write reviews for Eating Bull and All the Crooked Saints.

message 9: by Imane (new)

Imane (booksaccino) Hi everyone!

For this one I am picking up The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding. I think it's the only "creepy" ARC that I have.

If I end up finishing it before the end of October, I'll probably pick up See What I Have Done and/or Girl in Snow that I also have to read.

I usually love creepy and mysterious books so I'm really excited for this!

message 10: by Bethan (new)

Bethan Hindmarch (bethanmay) | 14 comments Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "Bethan is right! You all can totally pick more than one book if you want! At first I thought maybe I shouldn't put Dracula on the list, since it's not an ARC and Bethan's already got a book for Cre..."
Thanks Evelina!

message 11: by Grace (new)

Grace (turnspageslowly) | 13 comments Sorry, I didn't have anything really creepy, but I've selected The Curious Affair of the Witch at Wayside Cross (The Curious Affair Of, #2) by Lisa Tuttle , The Curious Affair of the Witch at Wayside Crossing by Lisa Tuttle. A mystery about a man who drops dead of a heart attack, but appeared to be in perfectly good health. What's more, the locals think it might be witchcraft. To top it off, the setting is Victorian era London, with the two main characters, Jesperson & Lane, supposedly reminiscent of Sherlock & Watson!

message 12: by Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (last edited Oct 09, 2017 11:19AM) (new)

I've added everyone's books to the shelf! I think I am going to read Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet - just like I said I might. Firstly, because it's one of my oldest ARCs, and secondly - because there are witches, treats and ghosts! So I'm already quite excited.

Belle, I hope we can give you some motivation! I hope you all visit the discussion thread from time to time to update us with sweet sweet gossip about your own book. At the end of the week we could also talk about progress!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Northern Plunder) (northernplunder) There's Someone Inside Your House
I got this at YALC but have been saving it for this month as I host a horror readathon w my book club.

I started it this morning, first chapter was a great impression! I'm excited to read more tonight

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne Logan | 4 comments I'm currently reading The Good People by Hannah Kent. It's definitely creepy, it's about a woman whose husband and adult daughter dies, leaving her to take care of her grandson alone. But her grandson has some developmental problems, and everyone in her small 1800's village suspects evil is afoot. Another creepy thing is that I just read the description of what Halloween is like in this small Irish town-double creepy! I'm liking the book so far, so we will see.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Will add both of those to the shelf :) Anne, your book sounds good!

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindaslittlelibrary) | 2 comments I'll probably read The Vampire Fate it has Vampires, Werewolves and witches.
And also Demon Kissed which has demons and angels. That works right?

Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer (yaykisspurr) | 3 comments Mine is not creepy alas! But I've been anticipating this ARC and finally its time to read it: Rosemarked

message 18: by imyril (new)

imyril I don’t really have any ARCs that fit the bill for Creeptober (not really my thing), so I’ll be keeping a low profile for now.

Added your books! imyril, I guess we'll be picking the November theme soon enough, so let's hope you will find something you can choose then :)

message 20: by Belle (new)

Belle | 8 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "There's Someone Inside Your House
I got this at YALC but have been saving it for this month as I host a horror readathon w my book club.

I started it this morning, first chapter ..."

Lauren, this is a perfect book for October! I love Stephanie's stuff, but I'm super squeamish about horror, so I've been avoiding this one. I'd love to hear what you think!

message 21: by imyril (new)

imyril Plenty to keep reading in the meanwhile ;)

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) I have a bunch that would fit in with this theme, but I'll just pick three to start (hopefully I can get to others this month as well). All of these released recently but because I'm always behind, I haven't gotten to them yet.

On the MG front I have The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding. Then for YA I have There's Someone Inside Your House. And for adult I have The Dark Lake.

The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding (The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding #1) by Alexandra Bracken There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins The Dark Lake (Gemma Woodstock, #1) by Sarah Bailey

Melanie - this is so cool! You are actually reading two of the same books as Imane and Lauren! That makes the discussion even more fun 😊 I'll also add the third one for you.

message 24: by Marta (new)

Marta Pascual Perez (martapasperez) | 21 comments Hi! I have picked Children of Daedala. Is about a girl that´s trap in a labrynth (don´t really know why) and in order to exit she must face some horrors. I really don´t know much abot it cause I like to go as blind as possible into books. Children of Daedala

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (aweebishbookblog) | 7 comments I'm choosing Ultimate Sacrifice by S.E. Green for my ARC read :) Not sure how likely I'll stick to my pick, though. The mood reader in me only wants to read books NOT on my tbr, apparently :(

message 26: by Anne (new)

Anne Logan | 4 comments Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "Will add both of those to the shelf :) Anne, your book sounds good!"

I'm not sure how to add my book to the shelf, but looks like someone else did it for me-thanks so much!

No worries Anne, I added your book, I'm the one who adds them :)

message 28: by Sheila (last edited Oct 12, 2017 06:22PM) (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) COMPLETED Death By Wolf Bite. I'm working on a review now and will share that here later this evening or tomorrow.

ALSO COMPLETED (but forgot to share before) an ARC I read and reviewed this month that falls into the category: Jek/Hyde. You can see my review of it by clicking here.

SYNOPSIS Jek/Hyde is a very dark retelling of the Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde story. I wouldn't really recommend it after reading it...but to each his/her own with books!

PLANNED READS I have two more ARCs planned to read which fall into this category:
James Witch-Hunter by K.S. Marsden The Shadow Rises (Witch-Hunter, #1) by K.S. Marsden

SYNOPSES James: Witch-Hunter is a prequel to the Witch-Hunter series which just came out the 1st of this month. It and The Shadow Rises both are about hunting down evil, magic-wielding witches. The Shadow Rises, and the rest of the series' covers are downright creepy.

You are kicking it, Sheila!! I think we will fall hopelessly behind 😂 I am adding your books 😊

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiejudgesbooks) | 8 comments Does a mix between historical fiction and Sci-Fi Fantasy count? It does have druids? :) (Ailllen and the False God by Michael Hyndman) I know it's already published, but it does count, right? Most of my books are historical fiction or crime novels, with some sci-fi and YA thrown in :) There's also Heir of Illaria by Dyan Chick that I have on my list, so please help :)

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 9 comments Ohhh I also have Children of Daedala on my ARC list but I won't get to it this month.

However, I do have one for Creeptober. I didn't know if it would be creepy enough at first. I'm at the 25% point and I definitely am creeped out. The book is The Salt Line.

It is about a post-apocalyptic type Earth where a tick (yep the horrible little bug) has decimated the worlds population. There are 'safe zones' all over the world, some in better shape than others.
The lead characters we follow are all wealthy or connected to wealthy people (ie: a mob bosses wife, famous pop star, etc.) and have all decided to go on a "Out of Zone tour". Which is exactly what it sounds like, a tour out of the safe zone.
The tour company has only had 2 deaths in 5 years of doing the tour, and 1 of them wasn't from the deadly tick.

I read a lot of dystopian fiction and am not always creeped out. Usually just intrigued. But I think the following increases the creep factor for me in The Salt Line:
- It's totally possible for a deadly tick to emerge in our world
- We used to have to look for ticks after doing hikes in mountains at my grandparents farm. My sister nearly had one nestle into her brain. Luckily we caught it just in time.
- While the people are wealthy or connected to wealthy people the characters themselves so far are very human and relatable
- The irony of an itty bitty bug taking down our vast civilization is just too ironic not to be creepy
But mostly it's a BUG. *shudder* :)

Katie, it totally counts if it helps you pin down your old ARCs and wrestle them off your shelf :) sure, let's go with druids! Mythology works.

Mel, I can see that happening! I am totally creeped out by ticks. They are very common here and they carry crippling diseases. Little monsters! Thanks for telling us about the book in depth like this. Although I'm far too squeamish (and too freaked out about ticks already every summer), I was interested in the summary and your thoughts :)

Also, I will add your books to the shelf, girls - when I get on the PC :) on the phone now!

message 34: by Samantha (WLABB) (new)

Samantha (WLABB) (samanthawlabb) I think the book I am reading now qualifies - Book of Lies by Teri Terry.

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 9 comments Don't you just wish Goodreads had a fully functioning app?!
Drives me constantly crazy as I'm a 80% mobile gal so hate having to wait to hit computer to do things.

message 36: by Marta (new)

Marta Pascual Perez (martapasperez) | 21 comments Mel (Epic Reading) wrote: "Don't you just wish Goodreads had a fully functioning app?!
Drives me constantly crazy as I'm a 80% mobile gal so hate having to wait to hit computer to do things."

I totally understad you. Maybe they will imporve in the next upgrade...

message 37: by USOM (new)

USOM (utopia-state-of-mind) I am so behind on this, but I posted two reviews of Hawkweed Legacy and Boy on the Bridge.
The Hawkweed Legacy
A book about witches and sacrifices in order to remain in the family.
https://utopia-state-of-mind.com/revi...
The Boy on the Bridge
What is this boy doing on this bus riding through this post-apocalyptic world?
https://utopia-state-of-mind.com/revi...

Cool, you even had the Boy! I really wanted that ARC xD

Mel - don't even get me started on the terrible Goodreads app... I mostly just use my mobile browser because the app is... not really my friend :D

P.S. I've added all your books, except for Sam's Book of Lies - I couldn't find that one, maybe it's not added on Goodreads?

message 40: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) So, I realized like 5 pages into my current ARC read that it falls under the CREEPtober category as well. It's:
The Ninth Circle, Book 1 Fire (The Ninth Circle #1) by C.A. Harland
It's about these three sisters who are basically demon-hunters. But one of their sisters has gone missing into the "circles," which are local demon-run gang rings--the first being the lowest and ninth being the most hostile--so the remaining two sisters fight through the different circles searching for their sister. They meet all sorts of creatures along the way: sirens, elves, and the like.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Northern Plunder) (northernplunder) I've been reading Blackbird too which I'm not sure whether it fits the theme or not. Its a mystery about a sister disappearing and something to do with a sudden huge amount of blackbirds.

As you can tell I've not read much...

message 42: by Grace (new)

Grace (turnspageslowly) | 13 comments Sheila wrote: "So, I realized like 5 pages into my current ARC read that it falls under the CREEPtober category as well. It's:
It's about these three sisters wh..."

Shelia, I've read that book! Unfortunately, I read it before October, so no points for me, haha. But I thought it was pretty good, and the plot was interesting enough, with the paranormal and the gangs you mentioned...it's all cool stuff...or at least I thought so. ^^'' I hope you enjoy it!

message 43: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Grace wrote: "Sheila wrote: "So, I realized like 5 pages into my current ARC read that it falls under the CREEPtober category as well. It's:
It's about these t..."

Grace, I'm ALMOST done! (At 94%) And I'm liking it---just not all the swearing. But it is very creative! I'm glad to hear you liked it too!

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 9 comments Huh that circle book is on my list for next month I think. Good to hear hat it's not awful! Lol.
Though last time I avoided an ARC until the last possible second, because of others bad reviews, I ended up liking it so who knows what I'll think I suppose. ;)

message 45: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 5 comments I'm late to the Creeptober take down, but I am just about to startHekla's Children Hekla's Children by James Brogden

Found it during a cull of books I was doing.

Hi everyone! Sorry I was away for so long. Sheila, congrats about finding another one to add - you are on a roll! Gemma, you're not late at all! Still plenty of time to finish it, I will add it to our shelf :)

message 47: by Samantha (WLABB) (new)

Samantha (WLABB) (samanthawlabb) I have two that fit the theme:

Book of Lies
The Hanging Girl

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 9 comments I finished The Salt Like. My October ARC pick.
Wow was it nothing like I expected! Sadly not in a great way necessarily. Not bad but also nothing special.

message 49: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Northern Plunder) (northernplunder) I finished TSIYH yesterday
I thought it was very ok. Very safe.
I feel like Perkins kept the contemporary feel to it to keep her existing fans interested, however for someone who's not read her previous work nor a fan of contemporary it kind of ruined the tension she did manage to bring to it. When it did focus on the horror side of things it did really well.

It sounds like both of those were mediocre reads. Oh well, at least they're knocked off the shelf 😊 don't forget that I'll be posting State of the ARC #3 on the 30th, so you can all come and link up and flaunt your achievements (which are, dare I say, much better than mine 😂😂😂)

« previous 1