Wanderlust Challenges discussion

Resources > Book Lists & Recommendations for Individual Continents & Countries

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Jan 04, 2019 08:52AM) (new)

Jan | 11555 comments Book Lists for Individual Continents & Countries

Below are links to another group's resources for book and authors from each country. They have done a wonderful job compiling them so I hope you make use of them!!!

Lists are from: Around the World in 80 Books
African Countries
Asian Countries
European Countries
Middle East (Includes Parts of Europe, Asia and Africa)
Pacific Islands and Australia
Latin American Countries
Mexico and Canada
US States

message 2: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments If you have read a book you loved from a particular country feel free to post the link here and I will add it under the appropriate continent.

message 3: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Jan 04, 2019 08:51AM) (new)

message 4: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2017 01:21PM) (new)

Jan | 11555 comments African Countries #2

message 5: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2017 01:21PM) (new)

Jan | 11555 comments Antarctica

message 6: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Mar 24, 2018 04:02PM) (new)

Jan | 11555 comments Asian Countries

Istanbul
My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

message 7: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2017 01:22PM) (new)

Jan | 11555 comments Asian Countries #2

message 8: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Mar 29, 2018 07:18AM) (new)

message 10: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments European Countries #2

message 11: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Jan 03, 2019 04:06PM) (new)

Jan | 11555 comments North American Countries

Canada
Ontario: Forty Words for Sorrow by Giles Blunt
Quebec: Still Life by Louise Penny (First in Series)

Mexico
The Xibalba Murders by Lyn Hamilton

USA/Mexico
The Butterfly's Daughter by Mary Alice Monroe

message 12: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments North American Countries #2

message 13: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments South American Countries

message 14: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments South American Countries #2

message 15: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments Thanks for the recommendations Dee! I will start our lists with them.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen | 551 comments Iceland and an I author - two good things! The Inspector Erlendur series by Arnaldur Indriðason. I just finished Jar City (Inspector Erlendur, #3) by Arnaldur Indriðason Jar City which is listed as #3 but seems to be the first one translated into English. It stood well enough on its own. Definitely not a cozy series!

message 17: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments Thanks Karen - strange that #3 is the first translation. I will add it to the list.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't love it particularly but maybe someone else will like it - and I think it's not on this list you've posted above:

Belgium: When in Bruges by Nic Saint

message 19: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments I'll add it to our list Rosa :)

message 20: by Kim. E. (new)

Kim. E. | 60 comments I read On Black Sisters Street by Chika Unigwe this year as part of a challenge for Belgium. It involves women from Africa that are tricked into going to Belgium. Not an ice cream treat, but it touched me.

message 21: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments Appreciate the recommendation Kim! It sounds like an intersting book.

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1245 comments ASIA - Turkey
My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk
Set in 16th-century Instanbul, this is a murder mystery, an art history lesson, and a love story all in one.
LINK to my review

message 23: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments This looks like an interesting book BC. I'm fascinated with Istanbul.

message 24: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1245 comments NORTH AMERICA - Mexico

The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1) by Lyn Hamilton The Xibalba Murders by Lyn Hamilton
Number one in the Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery series, takes our heroine from her home in Toronto to the Yucatan peninsula. I am a fan of magical realism, but Hamilton’s efforts seemed heavy-handed. All in all, it was a somewhat entertaining mystery … a bit more hard-hitting than most cozies, though Lara IS an amateur sleuth. I did enjoy learning a bit more about Mayan lore.
LINK to my review

NORTH AMERICA - USA & MEXICO
The Butterfly's Daughter by Mary Alice Monroe The Butterfly's Daughter by Mary Alice Monroe
Luz Avila sets out on a road trip to take her grandmother’s ashes back to her native village in Mexico, an area near the Monarch butterfly sanctuary. This was a chick-lit, road-trip, find-yourself kind of novel. I was intrigued by the link to the monarch butterfly migration, and by the main character’s journey from Milwaukee (where I currently live) to San Antonio (where I grew up) and on to Mexico.
LINK to my review

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1245 comments NORTH AMERICA - Honduras
The Lost City of the Monkey God A True Story by Douglas Preston The Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston
NONfiction: A five-hundred-year-old legend. An ancient curse. A stunning medical mystery. And a pioneering journey into the unknown heart of the world’s densest jungle.
LINK to my review

message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1245 comments EUROPE - Russia
A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
I love the Count and the way he leads his life. He may be confined to the hotel, but his life is certainly *not* limited. This has an intricate plot, involving intrigue, misdirection, suspense, luck and a lot of courage and ingenuity.
LINK to my review

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1245 comments Europe - ENGLAND
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith
The Cuckoo’s Calling – Robert Galbraith – 4****
Galbraith is the pseudonym of J K Rowling, and this book proves that she knows how to craft a compelling story. I really liked Strike as a lead character, but I really loved his assistant, Robin. These two make a great team. The plot is suitably complex, with plenty of red herrings to confuse and misdirect both Strike and the reader. I’ll definitely continue with this series.
LINK to my review

Europe - NORWAY
Beartown – Fredrik Backman – 4****
A character wonders: “what are principles worth, if you don’t win?”. That may be the essence of this novel, set in a small town where hockey is everything. This is definitely a departure from the kinds of novels that have made Backman an international literary star. No cranky old men or grandmothers who spin fantasy adventure tales here. But you will recognize Backman’s gift for drawing characters – good, bad, young, old, talented young people, and alcoholic has-beens.
LINK to my review

message 28: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 218 comments My first novel by Liane Moriarty: Das Geheimnis meines Mannes=The Husband's Secret was a revelation. It's a great genre mixture set in Australia (Melbourne & Sydney)

message 29: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments I really enjoy her books Agnieszka!

message 30: by Denise (last edited Jan 03, 2019 04:01PM) (new)

Denise | 2465 comments I'm a big Arnaldur Indridason who writes settings in Iceland - do you want all the names of his series or just that first one you already have? Jar City?

message 31: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments Just the first one Denise (I'll mark its a first in series).

message 32: by Denise (last edited Jan 03, 2019 04:03PM) (new)

Denise | 2465 comments Algonquin Bay, Ontario, Canada

Giles Blunt

First in Series: Forty Words for Sorrow

message 33: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2465 comments Montreal and Three Pines, Quebec, Canada

Louise Penny

First in Series: Still Life

message 34: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2465 comments another Iceland entry

Reykjavik, Iceland

Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

First in series: Last Rituals

message 35: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2465 comments village of Hvalvík, Iceland and Reykjavik, Iceland

Quentin Bates

First in series: Frozen Assets
APA: Frozen Out

message 37: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11555 comments Thank you Denise and Claire for the recommendations. I have added them to the lists.