Addicted to YA discussion

One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)
This topic is about One of Us Is Lying
Stand Alone > One of Us Is Lying

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - added it

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5279 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part?

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 291 comments I am currently reading this book and my least favorite character so far is Jake (I can pick him right?) He is acting like such a jerk to Addy. She made a mistake but come on already. I also really dislike Mr. Avery for some weird reason.

My favorite characters so far are Nate and Bronwyn...I liked Nate right off. He's made bad life choices but he doesn't try to be anyone but himself.

My favorite part right now is when Nate gave Bronwyn a phone for just them to use. I LOVE that they watch a movie together every night over the phone.

Least favorite part right now is when Simon was poisoned and died in the classroom and when someone was sent to the nurse's office to get an Epi pen and they were purposely taken

message 3: by L.J. (last edited Oct 03, 2017 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

L.J. Evans | 30 comments I loved this book. I actually read it in August. I wasn't going to because I thought it was going to be a Breakfast Club wanna be, but something about it kept drawing me. I'm SO GLAD I read it. It was really well written, and kept you on your toes until the author wanted to reveal things. I really liked Nate. He was easily my favorite character, but I did get a little annoyed with his behavior near the end. I also liked how much Addyy grew, developed, and found herself in this book. This had great character development, and dealt with many real issues in the lives of teens today.

Jacinda Mejia (aturningpage_) | 21 comments I loved this book. I actually read it last month towards the beginning of the month. It took me a few days to really get into the book, but when I did, I was sucked in. I think Abby was my favorite character. I felt attracted to her character and I really enjoyed how she developed as I kept reading. I think that this book really kept me on the edge the entire time and I kept wanting to know more. I think that this book had great character development and I loved the little things that were part of this book.

Farren (mmmcookies) | 524 comments I really enjoyed this book. It did remind me of The Breakfast Club, but if the nosy quiet girl was murdered instead of given a makeover. I actually really liked Cooper and thought his secret was the best, but I warmed up to the girls as the story went on. I think I would have rated the book five stars if I hadn't figured it all out kind of early on, but I was satisfied with the remainder of the book regardless. I'll definitely be looking out for this author's books in the future!

Kate (katespofford) | 61 comments I also really enjoyed this book. I just wonder, though, how many high schools have a gossip blog like this? I can think of other YA books that involve a gossip blog that everyone in school reads, but we didn't have anything like this back in my day.

message 7: by LJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

LJ So I actually just finished this when I saw it was one of this month's books. I really enjoyed reading it, it was a good book. My favorite of the main group would probably be Addy. I didn't like her initially, but I loved her development over the course of the plot. I also definitely agree with Farren about Cooper and his secret. A lot of people say they figured it out pretty early, which was something that didn't happen to me. I'm also not a big mystery/thriller reader and was paying a lot more attention to character and plot than the whodunnit when I was reading. I think that definitely helped me like it a little more.

message 8: by Annie (new)

Annie London (annielondon) | 178 comments I haven't read it, and I won't for a while.. but there might come a time.
Anyways, The Breakfast Club theme? Um, I'm not quite sure what to think of it... even the lineup is identical. The criminal, the beauty, the jock, the brain, the outcast... I don't like used characters...

L.J. Evans | 30 comments Annie wrote: "I haven't read it, and I won't for a while.. but there might come a time.
Anyways, The Breakfast Club theme? Um, I'm not quite sure what to think of it... even the lineup is identical. The crimina..."

I thought this too, and put it off. But, I'm really glad I read it!

message 10: by Adi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Adi I really didn't like this. All the characters were so bland and boring. They were constructed to destroy stereotypes, but instead just embodied different ones. I didn't actually care about any of them, and if I have to read another "good girl falls for bad boy" book I will scream.

message 11: by Adi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Adi I really didn't like this. All the characters were so bland and boring. They were constructed to destroy stereotypes, but instead just embodied different ones. I didn't actually care about any of them, and if I have to read another "good girl falls for bad boy" book I will scream.

Sharon I thought it was an average okay book. I liked how Addy and Cooper were able to embrace their real selves. Bronwyn and Nate are cute together but you kinda figure they're going to put the good girl with the bad boy. I wasn't expecting that secret from Cooper so that was quite the twist on the story. Simon and Jake were just jerks. All because Simon felt "something" was taken from him he had to ruin other people's lives?! Who care's what group or clique you either are or not a part of....just be happy being you.

Holly (rollyrabbit) | 3 comments I was worried it was just going to be a lame attempt to copy The Breakfast Club, but I ended up really enjoying it, and I really liked all the characters. I loved Nate. I mean come on. Bit cliche maybe but still. Come on 😍

message 14: by Dani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani Shembesh (wisteriaful) | 6 comments To be honest, I didn't like TBC but I loooooved this book so much?? I had a wild time trying to connect the dots as I was reading it. My favorite character was probably Addy because of how she came around to embracing herself?? Although, I did think that part moved really fast; I still enjoyed it, though! Plus the romance between Bronwyn and Nate was really cute.

Kate wrote: "I also really enjoyed this book. I just wonder, though, how many high schools have a gossip blog like this? I can think of other YA books that involve a gossip blog that everyone in school reads, b..."

And, actually, I'm not sure real highschools have these... I mean, I went to a private school so idk? But it's not too unrealistic, I suppose?

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Kaso | 155 comments I am closing in on finishing this one. It is very The Breakfast Club meets Gossip Girl with murder as an extra bit of spice, but I really like the character development and the writing. Will keep an eye out for more from this author.

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Kaso | 155 comments Also, my second daughter was in school just as My Space was overtaken by Facebook. When Facebook came on the scene, she had to wait until she was officially accepted to college to join. All of that changed HS for people, mistakes and the agony of break-ups became amplified by social media.

Robin | 9 comments i am a little more than halfway done with this book and i have been enjoying it a lot. i originally think it sounded like a breakfast club copy cliché but it definitely has a different enough plot that it isn't the same. each of the main characters definitely has secrets, some worse than others, but with technology advanced so much more than it was when i was in high school i can only imagine how difficult it would be to have to deal with such an easy gossip mill and everything all these kids are going through. i like how most of the characters have grown/ developed/ even somewhat changed after this whole incident and hopefully the outcome wont disappoint me.

message 18: by Bubbles (last edited Dec 12, 2017 12:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bubbles (divergentbubble) | 25 comments I love this book so much. I think the plot is amazing, and so mysterious. I was hooked from the very first page! Seriously, I am obsessed with this book now. It's my favourite book at the moment. It's such a great idea for a book, and it's been conducted in such an applaudable way. My favourite characters were Nate and Bronwyn, and even though I predicted they were going to get together from literally the first scene with both of them in, I love them together SO MUCH!!! Like seriously, this has to be one of the best ships of all time! I love how well-developed and three-dimensional all of the characters turned out to be in the end, and I loved watching them change.I can't choose a favourite part because I loved literally everything!

Ella (Marauder's Version) The Book Monster | 14 comments I love this book so much!! I brought it with me camping, and finished it in one day! I couldn’t take my eyes away!! A friend gave me the book, and I hadn’t read it yet. I am so glad she gave it to me!! She also gave me the second one, but unfortunately, I haven’t gotten to read it yet 😕

message 20: by Ola (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ola I am not a person who likes to read a lot of crime novels etc, but thanks to this book, I think I'll start reading this kind of books. I really liked it. Nate and Bronwyn were the best and, of course, I knew from their first meeting that they would be together, but that's good

Laasya Allam ☾ | 180 comments I LOVE THIS BOOKKKK!!! BRONWYN AND NATE ARE SO ADORABLE AND I LOVE BRONWYN IN A NOT GAY WAY (not that that's a problem). BUT AHHHHH!!! I LOVW THIS BOOOOKKKKKK

message 22: by Rhea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rhea Rana (r_squared) | 14 comments This book is so good and you never see the plot twist coming. Just when you think you've figured it out, a new piece of evidence is unearthed! The story is so well-crafted, and the characters are exceptional. My favorites will always be the Bayview Four--Bronwyn, Nate, Addy, and Cooper. I love mystery and this is modern, high school murder mystery, and it is SO GOOD! Totally recommend it. If you liked this book, I would suggest the sequel, One of Us Is Next, Murder Is Bad Manners, The Best Lies, and This Lie Will Kill You.

Cordy (cordyreads) | 16 comments Hii, I'm gonna start this book today. Even though you guys already read it, I wanted to see if there was someone I can share my rants with lol?

abby ༅ (abby-j) | 28 comments hihi! I read One of Us Is Lying recently, so it's fresh in my memory. you can definitely talk about it with me if you like :D

Harshada (harshada24) | 108 comments Hey cordy! even I'm starting this book today.

Mr Brightside I actually read this a little while ago but what did everyone think?

Cordy (cordyreads) | 16 comments After finishing the book, Simon is completely sick and twisted!

(Was expecting a much bigger plot twist tho)

Mr Brightside Honestly I feel the same way!

↳˳;; ❝ Lex ᵕ̈೫˚∗ (alexasreading) | 52 comments I loved this book (hopefully I can get onto the sequel)! the twist sure was something at the end.

Zenith (ephemeralzen) I loved One Of Us Is Lying (read the sequel, wasn't as good). I was really new to Murder Mystery when first reading and I thought the plot twist was really cool. Bronwyn was a sick female lead and I loved her because she was slightly relatable, Cooper was awesome, Addy was awesome and I really enjoyed it! Definitely on my list of favourite books :)

Jasmine (divagrl2020) | 44 comments i previously finished reading that and the sequel "One of is Next"
I loved one of us is lying especially trying to find out the culprit

_georgiana_ | 31 comments Natewyn for life! lol.

Maria Herondale (mariareadsthings) | 1 comments I liked it. I didn’t loved it though, I guess it just isn’t my type of book, I saw many things coming but it’s enjoyable :) I loved Nate so much he is such a sweetheart his parts were the best along with Bronwyn, the fact he gave her a phone so they could talk melted my heart

Unknown Reader Read it , there was more of drama than mystery which felt a bit misleading reading the description. to be more exact, we spend more time exploring the personal lives and struggle of the main characters than we spend on the case. Easy to read and wasn’t really that bad. Did not like the ending , at all.

message 35: by Grey (new) - rated it 5 stars

Grey Klee (variegatedspoonie) | 3 comments Spoilers, only read if you have read the book. This contains the ENDING of the book.

(view spoiler)

Agreeing with other comments on it was much more about their own drama between each other, than the Who Done It. And they really built it up and hyped you up just to give an ending that really kinda felt blah compared to what you were imagining.

Eylül | 3 comments I liked this book a lot. I read it in the beginning of this year. I think Bronwyn is my fav. character. I really like murder mystery.
I also didn't see the plot twist coming but I was really relieved at the end. After my summer holidays I'm gonna borrow the sequel one from my friend.

message 37: by Bonnie (new) - added it

Bonnie (thedaylightreader) | 50 comments I loved reading this book. Plot twist was a bit predictable. My fav characters were Nate and Bronwyn and my least favourite character was Jake

Yashvi | 2 comments My least favourite character is Jake. I just never really liked him, and his actions are horrible. But I love Nate and Bronwyn. (Tbh, I love the Bayview 4.) It's a really nice book and it's like a murder mystery. It's fast paced and actually got me out of a reading slump. I love the fact that the action starts from the first chapter itself.

• K r i s • | 6 comments I bought the book because i found it interesting and now I'm exciting because it will be a series so obviously will read it before it release. (In a few weeks I will writing again about all the parts I really liked)

Millie (Taylor's Version) ~I would die for you in secret~ overall this book wasn't bad but I thought the ending was a bit anticlimactic and everyone talks about a plot twist but I didnt find it that interesting/surprising

Catrin Poole (catrinpoole) | 47 comments I will be reading the 2nd book soon.

message 42: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan I am currently reading this and loving it!

aliyah (aliyahmulti) | 1 comments i love when addy cut her hair, by far the best part in the whole book

Kimiya (kikidaydreams) | 62 comments I actually guessed the "plot twist" lmao

Kimiya (kikidaydreams) | 62 comments I've read the 1st and 2nd books

message 46: by Ash (new) - added it

Ash (ash_reads_books) Uhm…. This book is not a standalone

Vaughn  (bookishdelightsvaughn) | 3 comments One of us is lying is an okay book. The characters are decent, writing is decent, plot is decent. The sequel however, is so much better. I like it a lot more. It has more plot and excitement.

Jenna Marie | 479 comments I guessed the plot twist too.. proud moment lol. I totally only read it for Bronwyn and Nate's povs!

shranya ♡ | 213 comments @aliyah truer words were never spoken

message 50: by Gabby (new) - added it

Gabby | 7 comments Erika wrote: "What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part?" I havent read it in a bit (I left off at a little over halfway) but my favorite character is Addy

Also is it worth finishing? I was getting a bit bored with it but does it get better towards the end?