Start by marking “One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)” as Want to Read:
One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)

One of Us Is Next

(One of Us Is Lying #2)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  40,701 ratings  ·  5,374 reviews
The highly anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestselling thriller everyone is talking about, One of Us Is Lying! There's a new mystery to solve at Bayview High, and there's a whole new set of rules.

Come on, Bayview, you know you've missed this.

A ton of copycat gossip apps have popped up since Simon died, but in the year since the Bayview four were cleared of his sho
Published January 7th 2020 by Delacorte Press for Young Readers

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusA ​Sky Beyond the Storm by Sabaa TahirAll the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  Grace
YA Novels of 2020
749 books — 2,704 voters
House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. MaasThe Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareThe Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. SchwabCharming Like Us by Krista Ritchie
Can't Wait Books of 2020
1,011 books — 2,754 voters

More lists with this book...

·  40,701 ratings  ·  5,374 reviews

Start your review of One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was a solid sequel! I really appreciate the work Karen M. McManus does in fleshing out each of her characters. She makes sure we get to know every single one of them & understand them. On top of that, she does a great job of providing a surprising plot. I like the fact that it doesn't just end with the explosive point the story reaches and that we get a bit of cushion at the end to see the aftermath of everything. All in all, I really enjoyed this book. ...more
Karen McManus
Aug 13, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
ETA: I hope you all enjoy going back to Bayview!

***

We'll get a title and description up here eventually :)
chai ♡
A deadly game of Truth or Dare? [slams fist on table] THAT'S THE KIND OF SHIT I LIKE TO SEE
Sabaa Tahir
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Guys, I've gotten pretty old and grumpy in my reading. There's just a point at which you've read so much you feel like nothing is surprising anymore. I had just put down a very blah book when I picked up this one, and thank goodness I did pick it up because it was a balm on my wounded, grouchy soul.

My absolute FAVORITE thing about Karen's books is that I know, going in, that I will be in excellent hands. I will be shocked. I will gasp. I will laugh. I will cringe and yell at the characters. I w
MischaS_
Jan 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
EDIT: So, I went on a little investigation. Based on the author's Twitter we already know:

- The main character will be Maeve, Bronwyn’s sister. Plus two new MCs.

- Bronwyn, Cooper, Addy & Nate aren't POV characters, but they're very much present.

- The author also dropped a list of five things we will see in the sequel:
(view spoiler)
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Come on, Bayview, you know you’ve missed this.

Holy sh*t. I completely forgot how talented at writing Karen M. McManus is. I mean… It’s been a few days since I finished this book and my mind is still reeling.

So, what’s this book about?

It’s been a year and a half since Simon died and in spite of the many copycat gossip apps, the Bayview four have moved on with their lives.
Cooper is openly gay and happily in love with his boyfriend, Chris.
Bronwyn and Nick are together (most of th
✨ A ✨
10/10 recommend reading this near a window, on a rainy day with a fluffy blanket and a cup of coffee.

description

This is apparently a sequel but it was more like a spin-off. Yes we get little cameos of the previous characters (which I adored) but the plot revolves around a set of different characters and I feel like you can read it as a standalone.

The writing once again, was so great. I became quickly attached to our three main characters. The interactions and friendship between them was fantastic. I thin
megs_bookrack
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**4.5-stars rounded up**

A year has passed since Simon's tragic death and the twisted events of One of Us Is Lying.

The Bayview Four have been cleared of any crimes and for the most part, have moved on with their lives. They've all tried their best to leave that traumatic period behind.

For the kids remaining at Bayview, however, the reality of those days are never far from their minds.

An assortment of gossip apps have popped up since, trying to take Simon's place, but no one has the goods. Until
jessica
to me, the thing that make thrillers thrilling is that they give the reader a sense of ‘holy crap. this could happen to anyone.’ thats why they are so exciting to read, because of the realistic vibes that get your adrenaline pumping.

but this novel is so outside any realm of possibility, that it took me completely out of the story. its just too farfetched for me to even become invested. its just a massive eye-roll.

i mean, this has it moments (mainly in the form of nate and knox). and the writin
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a devoted fan of Brat Pack movies and anything has 80’s vibes including Stranger Things, I adore this series. I loved the first installment and I had quite amazing time during my reading, consuming more popcorn covered in parmesan cheese and gallons red wine! (My husband went on strike, stopped cooking for me but secretly he cooked himself and ate everything under the blanket not to get caught red handed!)

I know I enjoyed the first book more because of its amazing Breakfast Club meets moder
Charlotte May
So pleased I enjoyed this!

Ok, so I adored One of Us is Lying. It was everything I wanted in a YA mystery, when I saw it was getting a sequel I didn’t think it would work.

But I was pleasantly surprised!

Although the characters and events from book 1 are referenced and included, the storyline and new set of character is what powers this book and I was so glad for it!

We have Maeve, Bronwyn’s younger sister, her best friend Knox and their class mate Phoebe. They provide the basis for this story. Whe
Arini
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 Stars

I came here looking for some Nate Macauley breadcrumbs but, ultimately, I stayed for all the juicy teenage deceit, malicious revenge plot, and thrilling murder mystery. While this book is not without its drawbacks, One of Us Is Next is actually pretty genius in its own right.

“Here’s a little advice for the next time we play: Always take the Dare.”

Plot Summary:

The story picks up eighteen months or so later since the showdown with Simon Kelleher in One of Us Is Lying
BernLuvsBooks
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
YES! Our favorite Bayview teens are back & this time it’s 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐚𝐫𝐞 time. By now you should know what to do - 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘳𝘦!⁣

Just when Bayview High was getting back to normal following Simon's death, an app appears on everyone’s phones initiating a game of 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐚𝐫𝐞. Don’t even think about not playing - ignore your turn and a truth about you will come out, whether you like it or not. ⁣You know everyone at Bayview has something to hide and this new game master is more than ready
Larry H
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
In One of Us is Next , a game of truth or dare causes massive chaos.

We return to Bayview High, the scene of Karen McManus’ explosive debut novel, One of Us is Lying . Time has passed since scandal and murder rocked the school, and everyone has (mostly) been able to put their lives back in order, except for those who still seek to cause chaos, either to avenge the last troublemaker or to one-up him.

And then one day an anonymous text appears on students’ phones, initiating a game of truth or
C.G. Drews
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am utterly basking in the feels of having just finished a good book. BASKING. I tell you! The twists in this were so clever, so intricately woven, and getting to the end and discovering how many people's lives were tangled up together -- not to mention that circular finale!!! -- just had me in full appreciation of the story. This is just [clenches fist] a very good book.

(I admit that I didn't reread book 1 first, and I should have oops. But I didn't love it? Whilst I really loved this!? And I
Chelsea Humphrey
An easy, breezy, enjoyable listen. Binged this in a single day!
Amy Imogene Reads
So this had some killer punches...including one VERY memorable one at the end. But that doesn’t quite make up for the dead weight.

Concept: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★ 1/2
Villain(s)/Reveal(s): ★★★★

One of Us is Next is the sequel to McManus' explosive debut novel, One of Us is Lying. While technically you could read this one by itself, the amount of references to the first book are numerous enough that I would encourage readers to pick up the first one, well, first.

I was EXTREMELY excited for this sequel. I
claire
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The twist was good. It's just that you could already figured it all out halfway through the book. There's also a lot of unnecessary infos that stopped me from caring with all the characters. I also had a hard time reading with the multiple POVs.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I don’t know!! I don’t care!! I’m a minority!! The end!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Emma☀️
I really enjoyed One of Us is Lying and when I heard there was a sequel coming out, I JUMPED at the chance to get a copy! Friends, I am disappointed. I went into the book with extremely high expectations, so I have no one but myself to blame.

For a mystery book centered around a game of Truth or Dare, the game was hardly mentioned at all. The mystery element was overshadowed by the other drama and messy storylines.
The pacing was so slow. Nothing really happens until the last couple of p
Sylvie {on semi-hiatus}
Great, a cliffhanger!
Now I have to wait three years for the next one.
Blake
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you book gods for answering my prayers
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
So we went from "Liar Liar Pants On Fire" right to "Truth Or Dare"?
Lovely!
I'm all in! ;-P
Ashley Nuckles
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a great sequel! I loved the characters just as much as in the first book, and the plot gave me literal goosebumps at certain times. While I will say I actually liked the first one more, this one is still def a must read if you enjoyed book 1!
Elle
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Any time I start to forget how addictive Karen McManus’s YA thrillers are, she comes out with a new one and I’m totally sucked back in. This time around we’re back at Bayview High, in a sequel to her smash hit One of Us Is Lying.

It had been a bit since I submerged myself into the Bayview student body, and it took a little bit to catch myself up on all of the names, ages, cliques and relationships. The original Bayview four are present, though mostly peripheral to the plot. Instead we get a (most
Kat | Rustic Pages
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My Rating: 4.5/5

I am so glad this was my first book of 2020! I loved seeing what all the characters from the first book are doing after high school and the new plot following the younger students and their new cyber bully was fantastic (though One of Us is Lying will forever be my favorite). I highly recommend to anyone looking for a new YA mystery series to start!

Find me on Booktube! youtube.com/c/rusticpages
Sophia Triad
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-mafia, school
Back to Bayview!
This was excellent 😁

Back to Bayview for a game of Truth or Dare.

With new main players:

Maeve: Bronwyn’s sister from One of Us is Lying. She used to date Knox, but now they are just good friends. Something happened between them and they decided that they don’t fit.

Knox: He has four older sister all with K names: Kiersten, Katie, Kelsey, and Kara.
We’re like the Kardashians, except without any money.

Phoebe: Sister of Emma and little Owen. She has lost her dad from an accident at wo
Maddie
I've read the back of shampoo bottles that had a better plot than this book.
Susanne  Strong
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.85 Stars

It’s Game Time, Friends! How do you feel about Truth or Dare?

It’s been 18 months since what happened at Bayview High. Yet no one has forgotten Simon.

Things have been relatively quiet - till an anonymous text appears on every student’s phones alerting them to a new game of Truth or Dare - which simply can’t be ignored. Once a student is chosen to play the game, they have a few hours to decide.

Once the texts start rolling out, Maeve (Bronwyn’s sister) starts investigating.

No one is saf
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Is lockdown making anyone else do crazy things???? Like convincing yourself you have to read ALLLLLLLL of the library books because at some point you won't have time to read? Or that you’ll really like a sequel despite spending pretty much your entire existence avoiding sequels? Yeah, me too.

Much like my opinion of nearly all “seconds” in a series, I felt this one was unnecessary. Especially seeing that this author has already prov
Opening Round
635,580 Votes Cast

• A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • Heartstream
  • Not Hungry
  • I, Cosmo
  • Monuments
  • I Am Not a Number
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Three Hours
  • Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Song of the Crimson Flower (Rise of the Empress #2.5)
  • Unexpected Lessons in Love
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • Wildfire
  • The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
  • The Million Pieces of Neena Gill
Hi, and thanks for stopping by my Goodreads page! I don't visit this site often, so the best way to reach me is via my website at www.karenmcmanus.com, or on Twitter, where I'm @writerkmc.

------

Karen M. McManus is the #1 New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of One of Us Is Lying, Two Can Keep a Secret, and One of Us Is Next. Her fourth novel, The Cousins, will publish i

One of Us Is Lying (2 books)
  • One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)

Articles featuring this book

Girls who save the world, sweeping dystopias, contemporary love stories, and high fantasy are all staples of the current young adult book...
“I don’t understand why the world insists on stuffing kids into boxes we never asked for, and then gets mad when we won’t stay there.” 28 likes
“How do you make that choice?" I ask almost to myself. "Between what you need and what you want?" I feel like my sister's going through her own version of that. Kris's eyes are on Cooper, too. "You hope they become the same thing, I guess.” 16 likes