Start by marking “The Best Lies” as Want to Read:
The Best Lies

The Best Lies

Remy Tsai used to know how her story would turn out. But now, she doesn’t even know what tomorrow will look like.

She was happy once. Remy had her boyfriend Jack, and Elise, her best friend—her soulmate—who understood her better than anyone else in the world.

But now Jack is dead, shot through the chest—

And it was Elise who pulled the trigger.

Was it self-defense? Or
Published July 2nd 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Best Lies, please sign up.
Cole No! The title is actually a driver for the story. It's kind of the opposite of BLL's meaning. I definitely recommend The Best Lies! It was great!
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonChildren of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,468 books — 3,830 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
YA Novels of 2019
861 books — 2,764 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Best Lies
Dita
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a complete sucker for hyper-dependent female friendship stories that go every kind of wrong and this one is brilliant.

Read it!

I finished this book yesterday as I flew to New Jersey to visit my best friend.

The irony isn't lost on me.

Thank you to my GR friend, Michelle, for writing a review of this book that was so compelling I added it instantly and began reading immediately. She was right, she always is!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Nov 23, 2017 marked it as releases-2019
Shelves: tbr-for-the-gays
there's a sapphic Elise in YA lit holy shit I've reached my final pokemon evolution
megs_bookrack
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two girls adrift in the world find each other and develop one of the most disturbingly codependent relationships I have ever read.

This hard-hitting YA Contemporary follows Remy and Elise as they explore the bounds of friendship and cross them in the worst ways possible.

The level of discomfort I had whilst reading about their relationship reminded me a lot of The Wicker King by K. Ancrum.

Read this as, extremely uncomfortable.

They seek comfort and safety in one another, calling themselves tragic
Michelle
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-w-mars
When Remy and Elise meet their connection is instant. Unbreakable.

Remy has always felt as if she lives in the shadow of her older brother and the constant fighting between her parents makes her want to escape so when the vibrant and electric, Elise, comes along she can't resist being lured into her world.

Elise is an enigma and Remy becomes infatuated with her. They don't just love each other they need each other.

"Elise was electricity. I was the night. She banished the darkness, she lit me
Tucker
Jan 12, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
No one's eating that lollipop anytime soon. Except maybe the dog. Another thing: How did that lollipop melt?! I need realistic covers!

|blog|
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
Thank you to Simon & Schuster for proving a physical arc in exchange for an honest review.

Quick note, this keeps getting listed in LGBTQIA+ upcoming novels for 2019 and I'm completely confused. This story is about obsession, abuse and an incredibly toxic friendship. My guess is that people are seeing these girls calling each other soulmates and saying they love each other in intense ways and automatically throwing it into the LGBT+ category but there is never any talk or even hints or sexual
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

The Best Lies had already been on my radar for quite some time due to . . . . .

Holy crap, the recommendation feature actually barfed out something that looked appealing??? And speaking of looking appealing, there were definitely some visual similarities that also piqued my curiosity . . . .

Between the titles and the covers, my brain was telling me . . . .

Then a couple of my Goodreads friends liked it too so I put myself on the
Vicky Who Reads
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
wow I uh

wow

the portrayal of toxic friendship was SO good and reading this was watching a trainwreck happening that you couldn't tear your eyes away from

definitely recommend!

Content Warnings: (view spoiler)
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Simon and Schuster, via Edelweiss+ for an honest review.

“Jack’s blood is on my face and in my hair, on my arms and under my fingernails. There was so much, the paramedics had rushed to me, checking for signs of trauma, but they couldn’t see the hole in my heart.

description

My name is Remy.
I am seventeen years old.
This won’t last forever.”

If you’re looking for a book that will leave you feeling lost, confused, unsure of your current relationships,
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
My full review is now up on my blog, The Quiet Pond!

Holy shit, friends. This book CAME for me.

I didn't know what to expect but whatever expectations I had, The Best Lies took them, slapped me with them, and now I'm just dazed and in awe of this book's brilliance.

- Follows Remy, a teen whose boyfriend is shot dead by her best friend -- and she can't remember why.
- Told in alternating narratives, oscillating between past and present day, this is a story about obsessive and toxic friendships
Jay G
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

4.5/5 Stars

Remy loves her boyfriend, Jack. She also loves her besstfriend, Elise. Then one night Elise shoots Jack in the chest, claiming self defense... but Remy isn't so sure that's the truth.

This book focuses on toxic and obsessive friendships, which I have not read many books about but I really enjoyed! I really liked how the dysfunctional family life of both girls were shown. I
Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books)
I have some conflicting feelings about this, so I think I’ll sleep on this one before a full review. Heavier topics at least deserve that before they’re approached in a book review.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
5 GIGANTIC STARS

-Enmeshed friendship on steroids
-Dead boyfriend
-Best friend holding the gun
-Dysfunctional families

I can’t remember the last time a debut stunned me as much as THE BEST LIES. Sarah Lyu’s first, of I hope many, YA novels dripped voice and heart thumping tension. I wished I could have finished in one sitting.

Lyu’s gorgeous, smart writing had me highlighting many passages on my kindle, her words so profound. With its intensity, THE BEST LIES reminded me of Eileen Cook’s WITH MALICE
Kayla Brunson
This was a book that I was looking forward to but I am so disappointed by what I just read. This was portrayed as a mystery type read and that couldn’t be farther from what this actually was. This read nothing like a mystery/thriller like it’s portrayed to be. It really read like any other YA contemporary and I was so disappointed not to have the mystery/thriller feel.

This book was about the effects of a toxic friendship. The friendship follows Remy and her friend Elise. We get flashbacks of
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
20515174

This story drew me in right away with the taunt plotting and characters that felt like they could be a real teens. I liked the change of now and then throughout the novel, it added to the the suspense and mystery, kept my attention, kept me guessing and turning pages until the end.

While I have enjoyed a few young adult/teen novels sometimes they are a little
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .
3.5*

Ohhh this book is messedup! You know, in the good way! Since the whole book revolves around the thriller/mystery aspect, I am going to keep this purposely short. Basically there are two main components: The relationships of the characters, and the unsettling mystery.

The Characters and Their Relationships:So, this is a huge part of the book. Not only do we delve into Remy's
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
If you've ever wanted to know about the other side of obsessive friendship, this is the book you need. One of my favourite tropes to read about in books is the sick, pining friendship, and I've only really imagined it from the person who's pining. The Best Liestakes this trope and twists it into something gruelingly real and dangerous, showing just how toxic some friendships can become.

The book opens just after the murder of Remy's boyfriend, Jack, with her best friend/ soulmate Elise being the
Kenn Laurence
Jan 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
well...that escalated quickly
Dana
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
If I could sum up The Best Lies in one word it would be stressful. I spent so much of this book wanting to take characters and shake them!! And let me just say this isn't a negative thing ... I'm giving this book a 3.5 star rating. You know the authors writing has got you when you're feeling SO many different emotions, and I probably felt ALL of them throughout these pages. But with that being said, that wasn't always a good thing either ... we've got some serious trigger warnings happening ...more
Brandi
Jul 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Suzanne (The Bookish Libra)
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Wow, that was just all kinds of intense! Full review to follow soon.
Jessica Ryan
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Love is truest, strongest when you need each other, when you can't live without each other. Anything less is ephemeral. Anything less risks heartbreak."

If ever there's been a quote to capture a skewed view of love, it is the one above, but it captures what it's like to be young, defeated and needy. Remy and Elise meet when Remy is at a low point, and Elise seems like her savior. The friendship the two develop is lovely and wild, but it turns into obsession.

If I could put this book in the
Stephanie Ward
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'The Best Lies' is an electric YA thriller that will have readers on the edge of their seat until the very end. I'm a huge fan of this genre, so I immediately knew I had to read this as soon as possible. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, but this book went above and beyond anything I could've thought. There was nothing I didn't like about this story. The main character, Remy, is incredibly realistic and complex. We learn about her life in extreme detail, and since the story is told in the ...more
Cesar
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars.
Karina
Rating: 5 Stars!!!
The Best Lies is a YA Mystery/Thriller debut that is a must read!! From the brilliant narrative following past and present POV that weaves together perfectly, the spectacular writing, and themes of friendship, family, toxic friendship, alongside the complexity of love-- also *tw for mention/discussion of abuse.

My full review is now on my blog: The Best Lies ARC Review

This book has easily made it to my list of favorite books of the year & all time--this book ruined me...(;༎
Lauren
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
4.5 an obsessive friendship story the builds until someone is dead. Was it an accident? Was it murder? From both past and present perspectives, Lyu constructs an addictive story of two damaged teens and how their shared pain causes a dangerous relationship.
sanj
Jan 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
LGBT Thelma and Louise meets Gone Girl. To say I'm sold would be an understatement
Alex Black
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had mixed feelings on this book and was mostly torn between 3 and 4 stars. Overall went with four because there were some lines at the end I thought were really powerful and that pushed it over the edge for me.

First of all, I think the story structure was a bit tired. We start the story during the aftermath of Jack's death and switch between the past (how we got here) and the present (Remy talking to the police). I've read a fair number of thrillers and I don't hate that setup, but it is one
Mandy
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, this might be the best psychological read that I've read ever??This book was like a seven layer cake of characterization and fantastic psychology that had me going !!! the entire time because it was done so well.

All of the main characters were deliciously complex and had so much depth. Everyone did questionable things, but they were backed with so many levels of back story and history. You really never knew what a character's limits were and just how far they would go for another. Remy (our
Wendi Lee

I liked the idea of this book more than the execution. Remy's best friend has just killed her boyfriend, and she needs to figure out what happened and why! As we sift through her memories of meeting both Elise and Jack, motivations become clear (at least to me), but Remy just can't acknowledge it until the last chapters.

I think the idea of turning a traditional obsession narrative on its head is an interesting one, but I wish there had been more surprises.

I was also bothered by the
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Heartwood Box
  • That Night
  • Wilder Girls
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Happily and Madly
  • Maybe This Time
  • Testimony from Your Perfect Girl
  • The Year They Fell
  • All the Bad Apples
“We were a forest fire, wild and full of rage. We were a galaxy unto ourselves, a million stars blazing bright.

Everything was possible then.”
1 likes
“We’re the heroes in this story, born of tragic circumstances, yes, but also strong enough to overcome them. We’ll win the day.” 0 likes