Rated YA-MA discussion

Reading Challenges > Challenge 4 of 2017 - Finish What you started

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Diane (last edited Oct 01, 2017 07:02AM) (new)

Diane | 1234 comments It’s my favoritest, shelf-clearing-est, catch-up challenge of the year.
At long last, we get to FINISH WHAT WE STARTED!

description

This delightful, end-of-the year challenge runs from October 1 through December 31, 2017.

Read books from the following " finally get around to" categories to participate:

♦ One (or more) of any books in a series that you've started but not continued in over 6 months (Prior to 4/1/2017). It can be an ongoing or a completed book series.
♦ One or more of the books that have been on your TBR (To Be Read) Goodreads bookshelf for 6 months or more (Prior to 4/1/2017)
♦ One or more of any book that you've had in your possession for 6 months or more. Physical or ebook, owned or borrowed! (Waiting to be read since 4/1/2017 or earlier). Obviously we'll have to use the honor system for this one. :)
♦ Any book that you previously started, but never finished for some reason (Prior to 4/1/2017) - Feel free to peruse your "put down" folders ;)

The Goal is to read 6 books. Feel free to Mix and Match!

Nitty-Gritty Details:
-No Books with a pub date falling after 4/1/2017.
-Books must be more than 150 pages to qualify
-Audio books are allowed
-No more than 3 books from the same series
-No more than 3 newer releases from 2017 will be allowed (must be published prior to 4/1/2017)
-1 non-YA book is allowed (Non-YA = middle grade, New Adult, or Adult).

I'll be keeping track of participants progress (as much as possible) in post #2. Participants will be listed alphabetically by their name and the number on the post made to declare their participation.

When posting your progress, please remember to use the number of that original post as well.

Let’s see how much we can catch up on, readers!
TO THE BOOKSTACKS!!

message 2: by Diane (last edited Jan 01, 2018 10:07AM) (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Participants Progress Here :

Amber 4/6
Amy 6/6 ******FINISHED!
Amy round 2 5/6
Anna 6/6******FINISHED!
Anna round 2 7/6*******FINISHED!
Ashley 6/6******FINISHED
Barb 4/6
Candice 6/6 ****** FINISHED!
Casey
Diane 6/6******FINISHED!
Gabriela 6/6 ******FINISHED!
Jennifer 6/6******FINISHED!
Kdbrand 6/6******FINISHED!
Laurel 5/6
R.A. 4/6
Sara 6/6*******FINISHED!

message 3: by Diane (last edited Nov 19, 2017 09:44PM) (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Diane's Book Challenge

The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu Finished 10/5/2017
Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory Finished 10/10/2017
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt Finished 10/18/17
Half a King (Shattered Sea, #1) by Joe Abercrombie finished 10/28/2017
Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline finished 11/11/17
Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands, #1) by Alwyn Hamilton finished 11/19/3017

message 4: by Gabriela (last edited Dec 19, 2017 10:58AM) (new)

Gabriela I'm in! It's my favourite challenge too :)

Finished 6/6

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger (TBR) Adult
Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3) by Sarah Fine (Series)
Uprooted by Naomi Novik (TBR)
If I Should Die (Revenants, #3) by Amy Plum (Series)
Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1) by Yelena Black (Owned)
A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2) by V.E. Schwab (Series)

message 5: by Kdbrand (last edited Dec 18, 2017 07:23PM) (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Count me in!

Finished 6/6
Series- Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2) by William Ritter Execution (Escape from Furnace, #5) by Alexander Gordon Smith The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James Dashner TBR- Airborn (Matt Cruse, #1) by Kenneth Oppel Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1) by Sylvain Neuvel Owned- The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis

Possibilities:
Execution (Escape from Furnace, #5) by Alexander Gordon Smith Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2) by William Ritter The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James Dashner Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2) by Leigh Bardugo Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3) by Beth Revis

message 6: by Jennifer (last edited Dec 06, 2017 04:30PM) (new)

Jennifer | 384 comments ♦ Books in a series (6+ months)
The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London, #3) by Maureen Johnson Wanted (The Storymakers, #2) by Betsy Schow Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2) by Libba Bray Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7) by Kevin Hearne
♦ Books on TBR bookshelf (6+ months)
Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown The Rithmatist (Rithmatist, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor Jinx by Meg Cabot Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce
♦ Books owned (6+ months)
An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Strange Sweet Song by Adi Rule Night Witches by Kathryn Lasky Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima

Finished: An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London, #3) by Maureen Johnson Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7) by Kevin Hearne Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1) by Tamora Pierce The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh Jinx by Meg Cabot

message 7: by Barb (last edited Nov 26, 2017 01:57PM) (new)

Barb I'm in! Need to get shelf clearing to set an example for my daughter who has more than she can read, too!

Finished -
MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1) by Debra Driza Beauty Queens by Libba Bray Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas

message 8: by Candice (last edited Nov 16, 2017 10:20AM) (new)

Candice (locomonobano) | 78 comments I'm in! Thanks for doing the next challenge for us again!

Finished:
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard

message 9: by Ashley (last edited Dec 22, 2017 01:34PM) (new)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 167 comments IN!! For sure.

Grimalkin the Witch Assassin (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #9) by Joseph Delaney Midnight Marked (Chicagoland Vampires, #12) by Chloe Neill Finale (Hush, Hush, #4) by Becca Fitzpatrick The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London, #3) by Maureen Johnson Ruin and Rising (Grisha Verse, #3) by Leigh Bardugo End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3) by Susan Ee

DONE!!

Bonus Books Read

Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3) by Stephanie Perkins Sinner (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #4) by Maggie Stiefvater

message 10: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (last edited Dec 30, 2017 01:45PM) (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) I'm in! Although, this quarter has a ton of new releases and I'm super behind so we'll see how this goes. When it comes to new books I'm like a do—SQUIRREL!

The pool:
The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) by Diana Gabaldon Ruined (Ruined, #1) by Amy Tintera Titans by Victoria Scott Night Witches by Kathryn Lasky Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff 100 Days by Nicole McInnes Akata Witch (Akata Witch, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor Paper Princess (The Royals, #1) by Erin Watt Star-Crossed by Barbara Dee Spindle by Shonna Slayton Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2) by Leigh Bardugo Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse Duel of Fire (Steel and Fire, #1) by Jordan Rivet To Serve the King (Sevalian Chronicles, #2) by Naomi Lane Thief of Lies (Library Jumpers, #1) by Brenda Drake Air Awakens (Air Awakens, #1) by Elise Kova

Read 5/6:
Night Witches by Kathryn Lasky (TBR) Night Witches by Mirren Hogan (owned, adult) Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1) by Tamora Pierce (TBR) The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (TBR) Daja's Book (Circle of Magic, #3) by Tamora Pierce (TBR)

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments I'm in. I've been debating whether to do this or not as this term is very busy but I'm going to give it a go anyway. Here's my possibilities

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1) by Rachel Caine Cinder & Ella (Cinder & Ella, #1) by Kelly Oram Bone Gap by Laura Ruby One Paris Summer by Denise Grover Swank The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands, #1) by Alwyn Hamilton The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown When We Collided by Emery Lord Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson North of Beautiful by Justina Chen

message 12: by Diane (last edited Oct 02, 2017 02:37PM) (new)

Diane | 1234 comments You all have picked some good ones so far! I especially Loved Finnikin, Redrising and Crooked Kingdom!

message 13: by Candice (new)

Candice (locomonobano) | 78 comments Finished my first one!
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
I bought this book from Powell's when I was still living in Oregon... like 4 years ago? I can't believe it has been sitting on my shelf this whole time, it was so good.
Updated #8.

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments I also finished my first book The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu which I have had on my TBR for years. It was a very quick read and a great spark to get me reading again. I literally have not read a book since the end of July. Here's to getting back into the swing of things!

message 15: by Anna (last edited Dec 31, 2017 12:26PM) (new)

Anna | 199 comments I'm in and I finished my first book already.

Sinner (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #4) by Maggie Stiefvater I read the previous book in March of 2014
Airborn (Matt Cruse, #1) by Kenneth Oppel
Airman by Eoin Colfer
Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman
Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3) by Kami Garcia
Beautiful Redemption (Caster Chronicles, #4) by Kami Garcia
A Web of Air (Fever Crumb, #2) by Philip Reeve
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3) by Jonathan Stroud
Born to Rock by Gordon Korman
The Ring and the Crown (The Ring and the Crown, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz
Bone Gap by Laura Ruby
100 Sideways Miles by Andrew Smith
Crows & Cards by Joseph Helgerson
Egg & Spoon by Gregory Maguire

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments I finished #2! Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory Has been on my TBR for years. I really enjoyed this unique take on a zombie book.

message 17: by Candice (new)

Candice (locomonobano) | 78 comments Finished #2 A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas
I have no idea why it took me so long to read that. Especially since I love Beauty and the Beast retellings! I'll have to wait until the challenge is over to finish the series but I'm so glad this challenge is around to get me to pick up these great books I've been neglecting! Updated #8

message 18: by Casey (new)

Casey Anderson | 637 comments Count me in too! I'm starting to read again and hoping to finish this one.

Here are some of my ideas:
Island of Fire (Unwanteds, #3) by Lisa McMann Black Widow Red Vengeance (Black Widow, #2) by Margaret Stohl Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan The Elders (Foxcraft, #2) by Inbali Iserles

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments Finished 3 of my 6 books.

Cinder & Ella (Cinder & Ella, #1) by Kelly Oram One Paris Summer by Denise Grover Swank The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis

All have been on my TBR list for more than 6 months. I enjoyed them all but The Female of the Species is one I'd recommend. It was a great book.

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Wow great for you Amy! I once had The Female of the Species from the library and couldn't get to it in time so had to return it. I will have to try again since you reccomend it.

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Casey wrote: "Count me in too! I'm starting to read again and hoping to finish this one.

Here are some of my ideas:
Island of Fire (Unwanteds, #3) by Lisa McMannBlack Widow Red Vengeance (Black Widow, #2) by Margaret Stohl[bookcover:C..."

Welcome aboard Casey - Good Luck!

message 22: by Kdbrand (last edited Oct 16, 2017 08:10AM) (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Finished #1 Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2) by William Ritter . I read the previous book in October of 2015.

Updated post #5.

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Finished # 3 Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt sooo good- sooo sad. If you experienced the 80's and the awareness of AIDS this will resonate so deep. If you have family or enjoy reading about the development of personal relationships this book will move you. I highly reccomend it. 5 stars for me because I could relate on so many levels.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments Diane wrote: "Wow great for you Amy! I once had The Female of the Species from the library and couldn't get to it in time so had to return it. I will have to try again since you reccomend it."

Yes definitely give it a go Diane. It's a great book.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments Finished book #4 Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Been meaning to read this for ages (been on my TBR list for more than 6 months.) Really good book but it broke my heart in places.

message 26: by Candice (new)

Candice (locomonobano) | 78 comments Finished #3
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas
I remember buying this for my brother when it first came out as one of those gifts where it's really for yourself (and I'm just a jerk)
Kind of dragged initially, especially compared to court of thornes and roses. Here's hoping the following books in the series get better.
Updated #8

message 27: by Candice (new)

Candice (locomonobano) | 78 comments Amy wrote: "Finished book #4 Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Been meaning to read this for ages (been on my TBR list for more than 6 months.) Really good book but it broke my heart in places."

I always hear that about Rainbow Rowell books - that they are incredibly sad. I don't think I can ever bring myself to read one, so good for you for pounding through it!

message 28: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Candice wrote: "Finished #3
I remember buying this for my brother when it first came out as one of those gifts where it's really for yourself (and I'm just a jerk)
Kind of dragg..."

I didn't care much for the first book in the series and almost didn't continue until one of these finish it challenges. Oh Boy does it get better and better. Definately continue with this series!

message 29: by Candice (new)

Candice (locomonobano) | 78 comments Diane wrote: "Candice wrote: "Finished #3
I remember buying this for my brother when it first came out as one of those gifts where it's really for yourself (and I'm just a jer..."

Oh good. I figured it had to get better since there are some 7 books to the series? These finish it challenges are pretty awesome

message 30: by Barb (new)

Barb Finished the first one like a week ago... MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1) by Debra Driza . It had been on my TBR for a while, I've tried to read it previously. I did the audiobook this time, and it made a difference. I don't know if I'll bother with the rest of the series.

Updated post #7.

message 31: by laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (last edited Oct 24, 2017 05:49AM) (new)

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Finished book 1! (finaaaaaally)

Night Witches by Kathryn Lasky (TBR)

Post #10 is updated.

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments Finished book #5

The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson (TBR)

I really enjoyed this one. My only complaint is that it was a bit on the long side but I still liked it more than I thought I would.

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Finished book #2:

Night Witches by Mirren Hogan (owned, adult)

Yes, two books with the same title. This one is pegged as adult but reads like a YA.

Post #10 is updated.

message 34: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 26, 2017 10:16AM) (new)

Jennifer | 384 comments Finished book 1 & 2
An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir - Owned for at least a year and I cannot believe I didn't read this sooner. It was fantastic! I cannot wait to read the 2nd one.
The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London, #3) by Maureen Johnson - Read the first two in the series (back in 2014) thought the second one was meh, and just found this one and thought okay, I'll try it. I'm glad it did. The series has definitely improved.

message 35: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Jennifer wrote: "Finished book 1 & 2
An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir - Owned for at least a year and I cannot believe I didn't read this sooner. It was fantastic! I cannot wait to read the 2nd one.
[book..."

I loved Ember and the second book too - it is a great series and I cannot wait till the next comes out. I'm glad this challenge got you to finally read it :)

message 36: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Just finished #4 Half a King (Shattered Sea, #1) by Joe Abercrombie that has been on my TBR for quite a while. I liked it a lot and will read the others in the series.

message 37: by Candice (new)

Candice (locomonobano) | 78 comments Finished #4 yesterday Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole
slow build, but wow does it get interesting. I think I'll have to read the sequel before I can continue with this challenge, after a cliffhanger like that. Updated post #8.

message 38: by Kdbrand (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Finished #2 Execution (Escape from Furnace, #5) by Alexander Gordon Smith . I read the previous book in November of 2016.

Updated post #5.

message 39: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Kdbrand wrote: "Finished #2 Execution (Escape from Furnace, #5) by Alexander Gordon Smith . I read the previous book in November of 2016.

Updated post #5."

I started this series but also have not finished it - maybe I should jump on it again. It was so creepy I needed a break but so many more books jumped in the way to get me going again.

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments Finished book #6

Bone Gap by Laura Ruby - This one surprised me. It was a bit strange and slow at the beginning so took a while to get into but once I did I loved it.

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy | 237 comments So I'm finished!!! Yay! Had more time than I thought or maybe just loved this challenge a lot or both.

I want to keep going as I am really liking getting through all these books I've been meaning to read for a while now but for the second round can I include more than 1 adult book????

message 42: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments YAY Amy - you did speed through this time! I will add your name a second time to record your next round of books. I would say since you fully completed the first round you can use any book for round #2 - Keep reading!

message 43: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela I've finished my first two: Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger from my TBR (Adult) and Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3) by Sarah Fine to finish the series at last :)

message 44: by Kdbrand (last edited Nov 20, 2017 03:58PM) (new)

Kdbrand | 353 comments Diane wrote: "Kdbrand wrote: "Finished #2 Execution (Escape from Furnace, #5) by Alexander Gordon Smith . I read the previous book in November of 2016.

Updated post #5."
I started this series but also have not finished it - maybe I should jum..."

Diane--This series was disturbingly creepy, and I managed to get through it because of this challenge. Reading one per year worked well for me.

message 45: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1234 comments Yes, this is one of the darkest, creepy series I have read from either adult or YA. I liked it though. It has been a couple of years fro me so I think I am ready to pick it up again.

message 46: by Candice (new)

Candice (locomonobano) | 78 comments Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Finished #5

Was okay. Not as excited as I expected it to be.

Updated #8

message 47: by Amy (last edited Nov 05, 2017 01:19AM) (new)

Amy | 237 comments Great thanks Diane!

Round 2 finished books #6 & 7

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (Adult) The Hating Game by Sally Thorne - Loved this one. (Adult)

message 48: by Barb (new)

Barb Finished #2 finally, on my TBR since sometime in 2015. Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

I liked it a lot.

message 49: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 167 comments I finally finished my first book. Grimalkin the Witch Assassin (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #9) by Joseph Delaney from a series I last read in October 2014.

message 50: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 08, 2017 01:46PM) (new)

Jennifer | 384 comments Gabriela wrote: "I've finished my first two: Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger from my TBR (Adult) and Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3) by Sarah Fine to finish the series at last :)"

How was the Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3) by Sarah Fine series? I've been wanting to read them for awhile :)

« previous 1 3