Play Book Tag discussion

2016-19 Activities & Challenges > 2017 Fall Flurry of Holidays Challenge -- October Reviews and Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Nov 01, 2017 06:16AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Please post reviews for any Halloween/fall/Canadian Thanksgiving/etc.. themed books that go along with the month of October here. If it is not obvious as to why you selected your specific book for October, please include a sentence or two about the connection.

Each review you post will earn you a participation point that can be used in future voting for the monthly tags or in book auctions which are likely to become a more regular occurrence,

Don't forget to also cross-post your review to the appropriate thread for books that fit or do not fit the monthly tag to rack up even more participation points.

Still struggling with deciding what to read? Check out our discussion thread.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 804 comments The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

5 stars

This book is included in the October post due to the forces involved in the story that make it scary.

In this book by author Neil Gaiman, an unnamed narrator is in the town he grew up on for a funeral. He ends up driving past where he lived as a child to the end of the lane. Here he goes to Hempstock's farmhouse to ask about an old friend named Lettie. As he is there, he remembers what events that happened to him and Lettie when he was a seven years old boy.

This is a wonderfully written story. Lettie, her mother and grandmother are not what they appear to be. And the boy's nanny, Ursula Monkton, is not either. There are supernatural forces, monsters, and large hungry birds in the book. It is scary for the boy, but the Hemstock's make him feel safe.

The author had added interesting ideas into the book. How a pond or even a bucket of water can be like the ocean. It can take life and even give it back. He has the boy's father not really understand the son, which gives the reader insight into their lives. This book surprised me with how much I enjoyed it.

message 3: by Sushicat (last edited Oct 07, 2017 05:12AM) (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments Scary - though not in the Halloween manner:
Fever Dream by Samantha Schweblin - 4.6 stars

The tale is fractured, jumping around in time and place, a dialogue with a voice that may not be real - Fever Dream is the perfect title for the tale. A woman recollects the few days she spent on holiday in a rural place, where something happened to her and her life is now failing.

Though it may be difficult to read, it reflects perfectly the state of the woman and the way it is told also fits perfectly to what caused it and the way society deals with it. It's far away and if one doesn't look too closely, one is able to ignore it.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5815 comments This lovely romance features key scenes at Halloween, Thanksgiving AND Christmas Eve!

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1) by Lisa Kleypas
Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor - Lisa Kleypas – 3***
I knew going in that this was a cheesy holiday romance. Despite the book jacket’s promised “magic” there isn’t much of it here … unless you count a child’s belief in fairies and Santa Claus as magic. But that’s okay, it’s still a fun read.
LINK to my review

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments I selected this book because it deals with death and dying, which is really a pretty loose and cliché connection to Halloween. I feel better about it though because one chapter does talk about dia de los muertos.

From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty
4 stars

Caitlin Doughty is quirky and endearing, and #lifegoals to achieve her openmindedness, compassion, and encouragement when it comes to dealing with death how you want to deal with it. You do you, everybody. Whether that is living with the deceased person for years like they have never died, having an open air funeral pyre in the forest, or mummifying the body in an arid environment. No judgment from Caitlin!

The author explains the funeral mentality of several different societies around the world. She was reverent without being too serious, and provided context as to religious and cultural underpinnings. And, in a smooth move that won over this reader, she provides some interesting information about whale falls in the deep sea!

I will give one warning: Doughty explains the struggles one of her friends had dealing with dead after losing her baby when 6-months pregnant. Y'all, it was sad. And I can picture it hitting too close to home for some people.

Otherwise, I have really enjoyed both of Doughty's books and truly appreciate her mindset regarding death and her thoughts on how the funeral industry could be reformed.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8538 comments Devoured this in one sitting! Couldn't sleep and this hit the spot. I enjoyed this ride, a tale less of magic, but divination and prophecy.

The Fortune Teller by Gwendolyn Womack - 4 stars

Definitely an eerie prophecy, seer, divination ride, all to do with the Tarot. Qualifies in my book as when the veils between this world and the next.

Seleme is a modern day woman, skilled in ancient translation and antiquities. During an accounting of an estate, she uncovers an ancient manuscript that has to do with her and the present, connecting her through time to The Oracle of Widget. Featured in this story are the first versions of tarot cards, and how divination and these gifts of sight have been passed down through time and generations to the culmination of Seleme in this hour. Fast paced, fun, and riveting to the final conclusion.

message 7: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2818 comments October , gruesome murder, Edgar Allan Poe

The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard
The Pale Blue Eye - Bayard
Audio performance by Charles Leggett
3 stars

This story begins in early October of 1830 at West Point Academy. The body of a young cadet, an apparent suicide, goes missing. The corpse is eventually located in a mutilated state. Its heart is missing. In an effort to control a scandal, the officials of the Point engage the services of the retired, tubercular, New York City police detective, Augustus Landor. At the outset, Landor decides he needs an inside observer (a ‘spy’) to assist him. The obvious candidate is Cadet Edgar Allan Poe.

This book has much to recommend it, beginning with the interesting historical tidbit that Poe actually was a West Point Cadet before dropping out after a single year. I’ve been to West Point in the fall and the author described it beautifully. (It felt like returning for a visit. I kept getting distracted by thoughts of tailgating and football games.) The initial murder and its aftermath were sufficiently macabre to justify the use of Poe as a character. The twisty ending caught me by surprise.

I wanted this book to work for me, but it didn’t. The investigation dragged on for too long. I think it was December before the mystery wrapped up. My biggest problem was with Edgar Allan Poe. Such an annoying character, writing lengthy, egotistical letters to Landor to communicate tiny bits of information. I never felt that the developing friendship between the Detective and the Cadet was believable. It would make sense that the crimes depicted in this mystery might foreshadow Poe’s later writing, but I felt that Bayard’s use of his poetry (specifically, Lenore) was overly contrived and overdone. The story just lost me in the tedious middle, so I couldn’t get too excited by the clever,’gotcha’ ending.

message 8: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2144 comments October:

20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill
4 stars

This is a nice collection of short stories; some are horror-veined, some spooky ghost tales, a few I just didn't get, and some are just sweet little surprises. The title story is an interesting ghost story set in an old movie theater with a female specter that only appears to selected people. "The Cape", while at first I thought was just plain weird, had a 'smack you in the head' ending that was so unexpected that I think I actually gasped. "Better Than Home" is one of the sweet ones: a dad and his son who bond over baseball. "The Black Phone" is suitably creepy with a ringing phone not attached to any wires. There is a good balance between the stories and I enjoyed this one.

message 9: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1472 comments Scary theme and one section of story is on Halloween

Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King 3 stars

Basically a novella consisting of short sections, one for each month, with illustrations. The town of Tarker's Mills, Maine is being terrorized by a werewolf. Eventually the town accepts this and tries to stop it though only one resident knows the actual identity of the werewolf. The wolf attacks were scary. I think it would have been scarier if the story was expanded so readers had more connection to the victims. I liked the illustrations but they didn't add a lot to the story for me.

message 10: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2818 comments The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

The Woman in Black - Hill
Audio performance by Paul Ansdell (an excellent performance)
3.5 stars

It’s a ghost story. To be fair, it’s a well written ghost story. It has a suitably spooky setting in the mists and marshes of an isolated English moor. It takes place in the early 20th century, but that isn’t made terribly clear; it could easily have been the same story set any time in the 19th century.

Maybe, this just isn’t my genre. I was glad this was a short story, because even at only 138 pages, I was impatient for it to be over. I had a similar response to The Turn of the Screw. The protagonist, Arthur Kipps, seems like such a slow-witted twit. Everyone and everything is telling him that he is not in a safe place. WHY can’t he seem to get the message?
I know, I know, that would ruin the suspense. So,....definitely not my genre.

message 11: by Sushicat (last edited Oct 18, 2017 07:27AM) (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments Another scary read...

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells - 4 stars

The story of what happened to Edward during the months he went missing at sea is found by his nephew after his death. His tale is is so fantastical that his sanity was doubted. Here he uncovers layer by layer, as he learned it himself, the horrors of Moreau’s island. The tale is very readable and well paced.

message 12: by Joni (new)

Joni | 613 comments October: Halloween

Death of a Pumpkin Carver

4 stars

So I decided to do the holiday challenge.

For my october book, I went with a quick and easy cozy mystery. This book is part of series but to me it didn't have to be read as part of the series.

Hayley is a divorced mother of two who writes and food and cocktails column for the local paper. Of course with October and Halloween comes pumpkins. So within this cozy mystery Hayley shares in her column's personal stories that also include pumpkins drink and food recipes. The food recipes had my interest...because I believe pumpkin should only be eaten and not drank. :)

In this story, Hayley's ex-husband Danny shows back up in town. He usually brings a lot of drama with his arrival. And with this visit he doesn't disappoint. Included in the drama, is the death of his Uncle Otis, a rising author who almost gets his manuscript stolen, and the body of a dead horror writer.

Just a quick and easy fun read for the season.

message 13: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments I read Girls on Fire by Robin Wasserman which is my f2f bookclub read for October. It is a disturbing book and two events occur on Halloween one year apart. The story is set in the early 90s of grudge and is a coming of age sort of book for girls. One girl is a Kurt Cobain lover, one has no self identity at all and the other is snooty rich, cruel and bored.

message 14: by Charlie (last edited Oct 23, 2017 06:33PM) (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 424 comments I read Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King. I first started reading Stephen King when I was a freshman in college and have made it a ritual to read one of his books every October to put me in the Halloween mood.

As far as King books go, this was mild. A long (702 pgs.), big character cast (72 in all) horror story about a worldwide virus and shadowy character named Eve that cause women to fall stay asleep and remain comatose while the men left behind struggle for survival. The setting is an Appalachian town in West Virginia where a local women's prison features prominently. Eventually, from either the loss of their loved ones or the realization of civilization (procreation's) ultimate demise, the men start to react and the violence begins. As James Brown is quoted in the book, "This is a man's world, this is a man's world, But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl."

I also read this book for the October PBT tag "Society" thinking it is meant as a modern day parable against the risks of a male dominated society and the threat to Life from "falling asleep". Apropos, the book centers around a women's prison and is dedicated to Sandra Bland.

I gave it 4 stars.

message 15: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1084 comments October: Halloween
Not set at Halloween, but about witches and curses

Dark Witch - Nora Roberts
3 stars

Iona Sheehan, sold up everything in the U.S. and headed to Ireland to meet her cousins and her destiny. Legends told to her by her grandmother and an amulet linking her to her ancestors, make her seek the 2 cousins who, with her, are descendants of the Dark Witch and are the three who will try to finish the evil sorcerer, Cahban. Iona's affinity and skill with horses brings her to Finbar Burke's stables and his partner Boyle McGrath. Iona is immediately drawn to Boyle and knows he too is her destiny. The story focuses on preparations for their confrontation with the sorcerer and the relationship between Iona and Boyle. Future volumes will deal with the other 2 couples and more confrontations. Very similar in style to the Sign of Seven Trilogy.

message 16: by Linda C (new)

Vampires, Bones and Treacle Scones - Kaitlyn Dunnett
3 stars

Liss MacCrimmon Ruskin, recently married and owner of the Scottish Emporium in Moosetookalook, ME, is head of the All Hallows Festival committee. A local abandoned house with a criminal past owner and rumors of treasure is perfect for the haunted house event. Mysterious lights, objects disappearing and reappearing, secret rooms and passages make it perfect until on Halloween itself a body turns up. Cute cozy mystery, perfect for the season. Not interesting enough to go after the rest of the series, but a good read.

message 17: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3813 comments October: Horror
Final Girls by Riley Sager
3 Stars

Cross a psychological thriller with some light horror, throw in some Blair Witch Project and toss in some mystery. Then put it all in a young adult tone and voice. Weird. It works, but it was a weird mix. But hey, I'm still riding the "Girl" boat when it comes to book titles. The audio was done fabulously, and this would probably make a GREAT teen horror flick.

The Final Girls is about Quincy Carpenter, the last of the "Final Girls". The 3 girls who survived separate incidences when everyone else was killed. When the first final girl is found dead Quincy is unnerved, when the second girl, Sam, shows up at her doorstep all best are off. Can she remember the repressed memories? What does Sam REALLY want, and can they help each other?

I'll give this book one amazing thing- lots of red herrings. Lot's of people, lots of potential situations. This had me guessing till the end. The lack of excitement was the execution. There is a lot of contemporary, YA-like filler in between the suspense. We learn about Quincy's cupcake blog, her boyfriends job, all stuff that just bogs down the real plot. The book has quick snippets that flashback to the night of the massacre Quincy was a part of. If this had been the main part- this could have been a 4-5 star book. Seemed like the author wanted it to be all suspenseful and great, but dumbed it down for the intended audience (non horror fans). I liked the 'reveal', but afterwards the book was quick to end, and I was left with questions.

Despite it's flaws, this has high entertainment value and I'm glad I read it though. If you like modern psychological thrillers and don't mind gore, I'd say go for it.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8538 comments The Fifth Petal

3.8? The perfect Halloween tale. Set in Salem, where the author lives, this book features characters from her earlier work, the Lace Reader. Truth be told, I didn't remember the Lace Reader well, nor any of the characters, except that I found it dark, vague, and eerie. But there are references to the dynamics in the relationship of Towner and Rafferty, and others like Ann Chase, and May, are clearly making a reappearance. But it stands on its own - one does not need to be familiar with these characters or their story to pick it up and dive right in. I received this book as a giveaway in early 2017, maybe February, and had felt bad that it took me this long to pick it up and review it, as the giveaway program is meant to create a buzz for the author upon their release of the novel. I hope my review helps to do that, as I really enjoyed myself. But my delay was timely, as I finally picked it up right at Halloween, which couldn't have been more perfect. But, much like one does not need to know the characters from the first book, it need not be Halloween time to enjoy this tale.

In this tale, a young girl who had survived a terrible tragedy, the Goddess Murders of 1989, comes home to be with a beloved Aunt who is now 25 years later accused of the same crime. The Aunt, who is disoriented, speaks tales of witchery, spells, banshee's, and oak trees that hold the history of ancestral connection to the original 1692 hanging of accused witches. Its fun, fast paced, intriguing, and full of connections to the town's unique and powerful history. The Fifth Petal refers to a rosary in the shape of a five petaled rose that is burned into Callie, the child survivors palm, and this image is central to the story.

One interesting feature to me about the story, is that Callie, the central character is a music therapist. I thought it was really interesting to hear about singing bowls, and the relationship of sound vibration to healing. This is one of Callie's gifts, and I thought it was a fascinating side theme. I found it fascinating, and a bit of real-life magic. It was clear to me, to give the book to my local dear friend who is a teacher and superstar in the music therapy world, as I thought she might enjoy it. And I would add, living about 45 minutes from Salem, there is nothing like Salem at Halloween. I deeply regret that we couldn't make it work to get up there this year. Brunonia Barry is right about one thing - you can't park up there in October, at least not on the weekends. She wove a fun tale, with characters worth rooting for. I enjoyed it and it hit the spot.

message 19: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments October: Halloween

The Manhattan Hunt Club / John Saul
4 stars

Jeff has been falsely convicted of a crime. But when he is “transferred” out of the prison, he is taken… somewhere and locked in a room with another man. It’s not long after that they are released into the tunnels underneath New York and are told that they’ll “win” if they make it to the surface. Meanwhile, his family and girlfriend think he died in a crash.

I really liked this. It didn’t take long to get sucked in, though it takes a little bit to figure out what’s going on in the book. It’s told from different viewpoints, so the reader is partial to things that the characters aren’t as they try to figure out what’s happening, as well. This was one I didn’t really want to put down – I wanted to keep reading. And, there were a couple of twists!

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8538 comments Cindy, not that I disbelieve you, but how does it connect to Halloween? I'm only asking because sometimes I think I should be keeping lists of a good fall flurry books for the future, and I hadn't pegged this one. I do have a Christmas list and a November list. Maybe I should create an October one. With witches and vampires, October always felt pretty straightforward.

message 21: by LibraryCin (last edited Oct 26, 2017 07:38PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments It could be considered horror. John Saul is known for writing horror, and the tag is there. It's maybe more a psychological horror, than the slasher-type horror, but I think it could be horror.

As I reread it, I suppose my description doesn't really make it sound like horror, but I didn't want to give too much away, either!

message 22: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman
4 stars

Ahhh, what better way to kick of the fall holidays than reading Hoffman's latest tale of the Owens witches? Yeah, I can't think of anything either.

Twenty-two years after publishing Practical Magic and introducing us to Sally and Gilly Owens, Hoffman gives us a prequel about the lives of Jet and Frances Owens. Their lives in the 60s and 70s starting when they are teenagers just beginning to explore their magic, and learning that Owens' are cursed in love.

This book started a bit slow and took about a third for me to really get pulled in. But, once it hit its stride I could not stop listening. The characters were well-developed and I liked them even if I wanted to shake Frannie because she was so stubborn and hard-headed! Vincent also could be infuriatingly self-absorbed, but grew into someone slightly less so.

Bottom line: I really liked the book. I was entertained, I had a few tears here and there, and I enjoyed visiting characters that I was familiar with. And, tonight I am watching Practical Magic!

message 23: by JoLene (last edited Oct 29, 2017 11:02AM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments October: Halloween/witches
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible
5 stars
(Cross-posted to October - other)

NOTE: my original choice for Oct book (which also fit the society tag) was slow reading and I don't think it will be done by month's end :(, so my back-up is to check out graphic novels. Hopefully that's OK.

Craziness abounds, I loved this graphic novel. I needed to read an October themed book. I will admit that I'm not much of a horror fan. Browsing my library catalog, I found out that there is a line within the Archie-verse called Archie Horror. I'm not sure that I would like the other titles in the series, but since Sabrina has always been a witch, I decided to give this one a try.

In the original comics, Sabrina is a good witch (think Bewitched). This series is much more gritty, with lots of gore and satanic witch-lore. Some of the back-story of Sabrina is told and the volume ends on a bit of a cliff-hanger. The artwork was amazing. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I have been keeping up with the re-boot of the Archie series into present day, but the issues are very uneven. Each issue in this arc was a great, although the tie-in with Riverdale and specifically Betty and Veronica was not needed in my opinion.

message 24: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments LibraryCin wrote: "It could be considered horror. John Saul is known for writing horror, and the tag is there. It's maybe more a psychological horror, than the slasher-type horror, but I think it could be horror.

As..."

I remember John Saul from my reading as a teenager. I think I read a couple of his books when I was in my Flowers in the Attic phase. :-)

message 25: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments JoLene, I thought I'd read some by him when I was a teen, as well, but now I'm not sure. I've read a couple more recently now. I also read some Dean Koontz back then (and now) and, of course, Stephen King.

message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5815 comments October: Halloween

This book is set at a resort hotel. To increase bookings, the owner decides to sponsor a "Murder and Mayhem Week" for mystery lovers over Halloween Week.

Murder in the Mystery Suite (Book Retreat Mysteries, #1) by Ellery Adams
Murder in the Mystery Suite – Ellery Adams – 3***
Book number one in the Book Retreat Mystery series. This was a delightful cozy mystery. The premise is a bit outlandish, but it makes for a colorful cast of characters. And I love all the literary references.
LINK to my review

message 27: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1363 comments October: Ghosts

Rooms - Lauren Oliver

3 1/2 stars (rounded up to 4)

Goodreads Description: A tale of family, ghosts, secrets, and mystery, in which the lives of the living and the dead intersect in shocking, surprising, and moving ways

Wealthy Richard Walker has just died, leaving behind his country house full of rooms packed with the detritus of a lifetime. His estranged family—bitter ex-wife Caroline, troubled teenage son Trenton, and unforgiving daughter Minna—have arrived for their inheritance.

But the Walkers are not alone. Prim Alice and the cynical Sandra, long dead former residents bound to the house, linger within its claustrophobic walls. Jostling for space, memory, and supremacy, they observe the family, trading barbs and reminiscences about their past lives. Though their voices cannot be heard, Alice and Sandra speak through the house itself—in the hiss of the radiator, a creak in the stairs, the dimming of a light bulb.

The living and dead are each haunted by painful truths that will soon surface with explosive force. When a new ghost appears, and Trenton begins to communicate with her, the spirit and human worlds collide—with cataclysmic results.

My thoughts: I really liked this concept of a haunted house, where the ghosts become part of the house rather than simply inhabiting it. It is a different take on the theme. The ghosts were the best part of this book. The humans were another matter. They were all pretty unlikeable - if you need to like your characters this book might not be for you. I also liked the ghosts' story better than the human stories. The ghosts stories felt complete to me, but the human stories were all pretty unresolved and left me wondering what the author's point was with some of the threads. The humans didn't seem to grow like the ghosts did, but maybe that was point...they still had a life to lead and the ghosts needed to find closure.

message 28: by Linda C (new)

Not set at Halloween, but about witches

Some Enchanted Éclair (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #4) – Bailey Cates (3 stars)

When a caterer is fired from a movie set Katie Lightfoot's Honeybee Bakery is hired to fill in. But before they have even cleared away their first lunch, their new client is killed. Simon was a 'fixer', the man to get things done, but perhaps he ran up against something he couldn't fix. Katie, is a new kitchen/garden witch, learning the craft through her coven in Savannah. A psychic on the set predicts that Katie will bring the killer to justice.

Lots of magical activity used in finding information and there are magical connections among some of the members of the movie set. Hard to believe that all this is carried on without locals realizing anything. Good light fantasy mystery.

message 29: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments The Island of Dr. Moreau
3/5

My second book by H.G. Wells. This was definitely a spooky read for Halloween. I had to look up the definition of vivisection. Thank goodness for PETA now. I found the book typical for the time period; doom and gloom, everything that could go wrong did. It was a short read and seasonally appropriate.

message 30: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
4/5

I chose The Graveyard Book as a spooky Halloween themed read for the Fall Flurry. Being Neil Gaiman I of course listened to the audio. He is the only author I've experienced who is FABULOUS at narrating his own novels, and he didn't disappoint. I don't think I would have liked it as much if I had read the print copy.

Nobody Owens, Bod for short, is a boy who lives in a graveyard. What sets him apart is that he is the only person who lives there who is living. He is adopted by a dead couple after his family are murdered, and The Graveyard Book tells the story of his upbringing amongst the dead.

I found this book to be quite delightful. The characters were unique and loveable and the story was full of adventure. It was playful yet poignant and a joy to listen to. I'm so glad as I didn't love my last experience of Gaiman, Neverwhere, despite his wonderful narration. I did thoroughly enjoy The Ocean at the End of the Lane, and now I have this to add to my list of liked novels penned by Gaiman. I think I'll try American Gods next.

message 31: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Kelly wrote: "The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

5 stars."

I admit that I have not read much Gaiman. I read The Graveyard Book (which someone else on this thread did as well) and I was just not wowed. Of his books though, this one and American Gods appeal to me the most! Just not sure....

message 32: by Nicole R (last edited Nov 01, 2017 06:29AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Book Concierge wrote: "This lovely romance features key scenes at Halloween, Thanksgiving AND Christmas Eve!

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1) by Lisa Kleypas

Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor- Lisa Kleypas – 3*** "

I read this book several years ago and really liked it! Kleypas has a new Christmas book out this year, A Christmas to Remember (anthology I believe), and it is on my TBR for December!

Oh, and this was a really cute yet quite different holiday movie, Christmas with Holly.

message 33: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Amy wrote: "Devoured this in one sitting! Couldn't sleep and this hit the spot. I enjoyed this ride, a tale less of magic, but divination and prophecy.

The Fortune Teller by Gwendolyn Womack - 4 stars"

Oooo...this one looks really good!! I am adding it to my TBR. But, was it scary? Or was it just a good mystery?

message 34: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Sushicat wrote: "Another scary read...

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells - 4 stars"

I always feel like this is one of the classics that I should read. But color me an idiot because I don't think I realized this was by Wells!

message 35: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Joni wrote: "October: Halloween

Death of a Pumpkin Carver

4 stars.."

Glad you decided to join the challenge! And I love cute books like this. You will see a plethora of Christmas ones from me in about...oh, 23 days! lol.

message 36: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Charlie wrote: "I read Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King. I first started reading Stephen King when I was a freshman in college and have made it a ritual to read one of his books every Oct..."

I appreciate the brilliance of King without having actually read many of his books. I just can't do the scary/horror thing. I have nightmares way too easily! lol.

message 37: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Linda C wrote: "October: Halloween
Not set at Halloween, but about witches and curses

Dark Witch - Nora Roberts
3 stars.."

Funny that you think it was similar to the Sign of the Seven trilogy, I thought it was nearly identical to the Three Sisters Island trilogy.

I still enjoyed it though, but it was definitely NOT my favorite trilogy of hers. Perfect for October though!

message 38: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments JoLene wrote: "October: Halloween/witches
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible
5 stars"

Oh, man! I always forget about graphic novels! I still have the whole set of the Angel: After the Fall graphic novels and they would have been PERFECT for October as they are full of all kinds of demons.

Darnit. I will have to make note of that for next year...and then not lose the note...

message 39: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Susie wrote: "The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
4/5."

Susie, I adore you, but I think we are book opposites! lol. I read this one several years ago after so many PBTers raved about it but I just couldn't get on board. Maybe I should try a non-YA from Gaiman....

message 40: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I think we might be book opposites! It’s ok. We can still be friends. :-)

message 41: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Susie wrote: "I think we might be book opposites! It’s ok. We can still be friends. :-)"

Whew! I have lots of book opposite friends. I actually haven't seen her around here much lately, but Sara and I are totes opposite.

message 42: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments And she and I are more often than not the same!

message 43: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Susie wrote: "And she and I are more often than not the same!"

My excitement of the day is that I just ordered four cheesy christmas romances on Amazon! As just another example of how we differ ;) lol

message 44: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Ha! Well I hope you love ‘em. 😘

message 45: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2224 comments The October List by Jeffery Deaver

What a frustrating read. I was looking forward to another Jeffery Deaver, I really like his series but this is a stand alone so I wondered what it would be like. This was so odd, the story is written backward. It starts with the end and goes to the beginning. It was frustrating but I was invested in the listening so I continued on. The ending redeemed the book. It was the perfect surprise though there were clues. Because of the odd set-up, I was compelled to listen to the first chapter again. I understand from the afterward that there were some pictures for each chapter that also provided clues but I didn't have access to them on the audio. It was definitely not in my top audio listens, the narrator was OK, but didn't rock my boat.

Hope I got this in on time for the Challenge!

message 46: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
5 stars
(Cross-posted in Nov - Other books; I did finish in Oct, but had oral surgery so just getting around to writing the reviews)

My library now offers "hoopla" which is a service that not only has ebooks, and audio books, but also movies/TV shows and LOTS of graphic novels. One series that I've always heard good things about was Locke & Key by Joe Hill, Stephen King's son. I had wrongly assumed that it was about Chtulhu world because I saw Lovecraft in the title and the horror genre tag. However, at least this volume is not related in any way.

This is the story of the Locke family --- the father is murdered so the mother decides to move to Lovecraft, MA to live in the father's family home, nicknamed Key House. This is a very special house with lots of secrets. The story unfolds as each of the three children deal with the aftermath of their father's death and continued threats to their safety.

The story does move back and forth in time, but the graphic novel is the perfect vehicle as it used the color tones to indicate present and past events. There are also some supernatural happenings which are also more easily portrayed in pictures. I am definitely interested in seeing what happens to the Locke family and will continue with the series.

message 47: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8342 comments JoLene wrote: "Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
5 stars
..."

I'm enjoying this series! I've read 3 or 4 now.

message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5815 comments Will we have a new thread for November?

message 49: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Will we have a new thread for November?"

Yep, I started it on November 1: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 50: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7018 comments Well, I started my October Halloween book in November, so will have to post it in the Wrong Month. Will that be okay? It's Frankenstein. I don't love it, so it will take a while to get through it.

« previous 1