Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Harry Bosch series wrong numbering

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Percaso (new)

Percaso | 18 comments Hi,

Somehow the Harry Bosch series has wrong numbering. Total number of books is ok (20) but the numbering of individual books goes to 22. Reason is that twice numbering is wrong, for example from 13 to 15. So book 15, Nine Dragons, is actually 14. series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4076...

Cheers,
percaso269

message 2: by Lieke (last edited Oct 01, 2017 01:19PM) (new)

Lieke | 2284 comments I don't know this series very well, but a group I'm in is reading this series so I have asked them if the books that have been removed from the series should be put back.

See also the Harry Bosch Universe series:
https://www.goodreads.com/series/2127...

message 3: by Percaso (last edited Oct 01, 2017 01:30PM) (new)

Percaso | 18 comments The Harry Bosch series has 20 books and all of them are actually showing here: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4076... the problem is not missing books. The problem is that some numbers were skipped. To be more precise book number 14 and book number 16.
The funny thing is that for example book Nine Dragons shows as number 15 but when I click on the book and go to the book page is say 14 (14 is correct): https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6... should become
It is just somehow in the title that the nmbering is wrong.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments I’ll take a look at it and make any edits. Another librarian deleted the series a few weeks ago and I had to restore it.

message 5: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 01, 2017 02:36PM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Here’s the issue. There are supposed to be 22 books according to the author's website: https://www.michaelconnelly.com/series/

Someone has recently eliminated some of the books, seemingly because Mickey Haller was also part of the story. However, the librarian who removed the books (in error) didn’t change the titles to remove the numbering.

I’ll change the series list to correctly include the missing books.

message 6: by Percaso (new)

Percaso | 18 comments Thanks for fixing Harry Bosch series!

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments You’re welcome and thanks for raising the issue.

message 8: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Is there still no easy way to push series info to the titles for individual editions? I saw this and took a look at my Michael Connelly shelf to see if the numbers were correct. I have about 50 editions - for some books I have both Audible and Kindle editions, or I had a hardback at some point. Anyway, the numbers that are there are all correct, but it's very inconsistent as to what series info shows up. Some belong to multiple series, but maybe show series numbers for all three in one edition, but only one series in another edition. And those are just for the editions that I have or have read. Would those all have to be updated individually?

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Yes, and I am slowly making my way through the series to add them but it’s time consuming. I tried to add them on the most popular editions.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Regarding removed post: If you have concerns about a specific user's edits, please either flag them or use the contact link. Do not report them in this group.

message 11: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Jonetta wrote: "Yes, and I am slowly making my way through the series to add them but it’s time consuming. I tried to add them on the most popular editions."
Wow, thank you! I realized it would be very time consuming to do them one by one. I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining! I was really just curious whether they might have come up with an automated way to add that info. Thank you for doing that!!

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Jeff, I didn’t read your comment as a complaint:) Sure wish there was a more efficient means to make these edits.

message 13: by Percaso (new)

Percaso | 18 comments @Jonetta: Michael Conelly updated his Harry Bosch series list on his official page https://www.michaelconnelly.com/series/ and removed two books from harry bosch series (The Brass Verdict (2008) and The Reversal (2010)) as they belong actually more to Mickey Haller books. I think goodreads should reflect this change too.

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments I contacted his publisher on GR about the series list change here. I’ll let them make the revision as I suspect they’re behind Connelly’s website change.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6177 comments But if the books are still in the Harry Bosch universe they do belong to that series, no matter if someone removed them on the homepage.
And they can be in both series here.

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments The Harry Bosch Universe series lists includes all of the books where Harry or a character connected to Harry appear, in published order. (I used his website as the source.)

The main Harry Bosch series was intended to list all the books where Harry is one of the main characters. Connelly had always listed these two books in the series list but qualified it as saying it was mostly Mickey. Personally, having read both books, I believe they belong in the Harry Bosch series list as he plays a major role in both and the timeline moves forward. I don’t plan to remove them but if the publisher does, I won’t add them back.

I highly recommend that anyone interested in the full Harry Bosch reading experience follow the universe listing. Our series group read participants are and it’s making for a more robust discussion and complete view of Harry’s world.

message 17: by Percaso (new)

Percaso | 18 comments @Jonetta all you said makes completely sense to me. Also about reading experience. Just wanted to inform that for whatever reason on the official homepage of Michael Connelly the two books are no longer under Harry Bosch series and only show up under Mickey Haller series. And yes, they definitely still belong to Harry Bosch Universe, like any other Mickey Haller book.
I simply would suggest to follow the definition of the official homepage. So that there should be no big discussion/interpretation.

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Thanks for letting us know. I’m leaving in the hands of the publisher who changed the GR series list initially. I sent them a PM.

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Tim... Splaining wrote: "Moreover, if the two books were once officially part of the series and then, after being published, author/publisher rethought position it should not then be changed on Goodreads but rather a note added explaining what happened. ..."

Is that in accordance with Librarian Guidelines?

message 20: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Yup, it is, and I agree. GR f3equently diverges from other website listings, partly because GR has its own policy on what us a series and what isn't and partly because we record things as they are published, regardless of layer retconning.

message 21: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Jonetta wrote: "The Harry Bosch Universe series lists includes all of the books where Harry or a character connected to Harry appear, in published order. (I used his website as the source.)

The main Harry Bosch s..."

Is that a relatively recent change? I think we had a conversation a while back - didn't it used to include only the first books of the "spinoff" series. I think maybe I had asked why The Gods of Guilt and The Fifth Witness weren't included.

If so, shouldn't The Scarecrow and perhaps even Void Moon be included in the Universe series?

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Different issue that was related to the HB Universe series listing.

And, yes, this is a recent change.

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "Yup, it is, and I agree. GR f3equently diverges from other website listings, partly because GR has its own policy on what us a series and what isn't and partly because we record things as they are ..."

Thank you!

message 24: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Jonetta wrote: "Different issue that was related to the HB Universe series listing.

And, yes, this is a recent change."

I'm not sure I understand - the HB Universe series is the one I was asking about. It seems with the new description that those books would be included as well.

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Jeff, those books were not removed from the Universe series list.

message 26: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Sorry Jonetta, I meant The Scarecrow and Void Moon. Just curious...

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Harry doesn’t appear in either of those books.

message 28: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments I don't believe he appears in The Gods of Guilt or The Fifth Witness, either (per Connelly's web site):
The Brass Verdict (2008) (also featuring Harry Bosch)
The Reversal (2010) (also featuring Harry Bosch)
The Fifth Witness (2011)
The Gods of Guilt (2013)

I don't remember for certain that he doesn't appear at all, but he also lists "small part" for some Rachel Walling appearances in other books, so presumably those would be listed for Harry if he appeared in either of the other two in that list.
In any case, your post above said that the series includes all books where Harry or a character connected to Harry appears, which I believe is what the series description now says.

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments We include those books in the universe list when that character filters in and out of the Harry Bosch series for story arc purposes. For example, Harry’s not in the first Terry McCaleb book but it’s important to learn that character’s background before his appearance in the Harry Bosch series, which is the second McCaleb book.

Mickey Haller’s not in the two you mention above but later appears in #6, The Crossing, so those two books are included for character continuity.

That’s not the case for The Scarecrow and Void Moon.

message 30: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Ok, thanks for the clarification. As far as Jack McEvoy goes, that is true - his story arc terminates in The Scarecrow, but Rachel Walling is a main character, and she appears again in The Reversal, The Black Box, and The Burning Room.

As for Cassie Black, she's definitely a minor character in The Narrows, but she interacts directly with Harry, and the connection is completely lost on the reader without having read Void Moon first.

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Where would you place Void Moon in the Universe series? I read that long ago, before I even knew about Harry Bosch. Should it be directly before The Narrows or in published order? It would be more logical directly before that book.

message 32: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments I re-read both this year, and I think it in this case it would make sense to make the exception to the publication order and put Void Moon right before The Narrows. I think I recall you ran into a problem with The Poet being just before A Darkness More Than Night because of references in the intervening books, but you wouldn't have that problem in this case. Unless there's a reason to strictly adhere to the publication order, I think having the character reference fresh in your mind would make more sense.

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Oh, I agreed with you about The Poet but needed to wait until our group finished it in the original order. I’ve placed it where you recommended.

I’ll add Void Moon.

Thanks for your insights.

message 34: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Yes, I think I recall you were too far along once you started seeing the references.

Cool - I think it makes both books a little more interesting having the connections there. Thoughts on The Scarecrow/Rachel Walling?

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments I misread your original message. Rachel is in The Scarecrow?

message 36: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Yes, she and Jack McEvoy are the main characters. These are the books she appears in, from Connelly's web site:
Rachel Walling Appearances:
The Poet (1996)
The Narrows (2004) (sequel to The Poet)
Echo Park (2006)
The Overlook (2007)
The Scarecrow (2009)
The Reversal (2010) (small part)
The Black Box (2012) (small part)
The Burning Room (2014, brief appearance)

message 37: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Got it.

I’ll add them tomorrow.

message 38: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Cool, thank you!

message 39: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments I was out of town and am just now getting to the changes we discussed for the universe listing. I have The Scarecrow appearing before Nine Dragons as the publication date is a few months before that book's release.

The series is updated and I'm now working on changing the titles to reflect the new numbering caused by these additions.

Thanks for your help, Jeff!

message 40: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 959 comments Thank you, Jonetta! Yes, that sounds right - I don't think there's any cross-over between those two particular books, but yes, publication date certainly makes sense for those.

I hope this doesn't require much re-renumbering for the edition titles that we were discussing earlier.

message 41: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Oh, quite a bit but it’s worth it to get it right. Finally done.

message 42: by Mulholland (new)

Mulholland Books (mulhollandbooks) | 2 comments Hi all,

Apologies for joining this thread so late, but Jonetta was kind enough to point out this discussion. I'm the marketing director for Little, Brown and Company, and I work closely with Michael Connelly on the publication of his novels. I'm writing to clarify a couple of questions raised in this discussion:

First, the request to have the main Harry Bosch series end with Two Kinds of Truth at #20 is coming from Michael Connelly himself, and not the publisher. I'm happy with the numbering associated with the larger Harry Bosch Universe, but it's my opinion that the Harry Bosch series numbering on Goodreads should reflect the numbering that Connelly displays on his site (https://www.michaelconnelly.com/series/).

Second, I wanted to clarify that michaelconnelly.com is a website maintained by the author and not the publisher.

I would like to update the Harry Bosch series numbering to match the numbering on MichaelConnelly.com, but a commenter above insinuates that I will have my Librarian status revoked if I do so. Can you advise on next steps? Do I need to provide a note from Michael Connelly approving the renumbering? ;-)

Thanks for your thoughts,
Pamela Brown

message 43: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Please note that series numbering on Goodreads may differ from the numbering elsewhere, especially if the series includes novellas or shorts. See https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4...

Beyond that, I am not familiar enough with this series to comment.

message 44: by Percaso (new)

Percaso | 18 comments Mulholland wrote: "Hi all,

Apologies for joining this thread so late, but Jonetta was kind enough to point out this discussion. I'm the marketing director for Little, Brown and Company, and I work closely with Micha..."

@Mulholland I am happy to change the series. The main series (HB series) should only contain books where Harry Bosch is 100% main character. Else you will find the book in the HB Universe series. Moreover, if GR people have an argument we should stick to what the author says about which book is 100% Harry Bosch. I will wait 2 days and if no one comes back to me I will do the change.

message 45: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Please don’t change the Universe series.

message 46: by Percaso (new)

Percaso | 18 comments Jonetta wrote: "Please don’t change the Universe series."

I will not change the Universe series as that one looks all good to me last time I checked. I will only change the Harry Bosch series (where Harry should be the main character).

message 47: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Seriously, please don’t change it. I created it to support a group read and the listing is correct. Changes were made recently to add a book that had nothing to do with the Harry Bosch series and revising the numbering following removal was arduous.

message 48: by Percaso (last edited Dec 10, 2017 12:47PM) (new)

Percaso | 18 comments @Mulholland and @Jonetta: the main Harry Bosch series is updated. All other series like Harry Bosch Universe or Mickey Haller are unchanged. Link to series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4076...

BTW there is a note on the series page that GR should follow the authors page...

message 49: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13669 comments Percaso wrote: "BTW there is a note on the series page that GR should follow the authors page... "

Since that was not put there by staff, it should be deleted. Goodreads has its own series policy.

message 50: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 80 comments Agreed.

« previous 1 3