Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Help with Darkhunter order?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (last edited Aug 07, 2009 12:27PM) (new)

Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (jamie_badboyinspector) | 18 comments I need some help with the Dark Hunter reading order. I want to read all the books in the right order so I don't spoil anything or leave out anything. I just finished Dream-Hunter and here is where I am having a problem. On one part of Kenyon's site the order goes
(10) The Dream-Hunter
(11) Upon the Midnight Clear
(12) Dream Chaser
(13) Devil May Cry
(14) One Silent Night
(15) Acheron
(16) Dream Warrior
(17) Bad Moon Rising

but on the print out on the site it is

(10) The Dream-Hunter
(11) Devil May Cry
(11) Upon the Midnight Clear
(12) Dream Chaser
(13) Acheron
(14) One Silent Night
(15) Dream Warrior
(16) Bad Moon Rising
can someone who has read them please help me with the correct order. I know you don't have to read her books in order but I prefer to do that because of recurring characters. I don't want to ruin anything for Acheron's book because it is the one I am really looking forward to. Please help..lol!!

message 2: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments The order that I read them in, and it seemed to be the correct order, is:

1 - Fantasy Lover
2 - Night Pleasures
3 - Night Embrace
4 - Dance with the Devil
5 - Kiss of the Night
6 - Night Play
7 - Seize the Night
8 - Sins of the Night
9 - Unleash the Night
10 - Dark Side of the Moon
11 - The Dream-Hunter
12 - Devil May Cry
13 - Upon the Midnight Clear
14 - Dream Chaser
15 - Acheron
16 - One Silent Night
17 - Dream Warrior
18 - Bad Moon Rising

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara (leelan) | 51 comments That is the order that I read them in. WHY MUST THEY MAKE IT SO HARD!!!!

message 4: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I'm not sure! I think that hardest part is that goodreads counts some of the short stories in as books. I think they need to count them a different way. Like if it comes between book 2 and 3, maybe put it as 2.5 or something like that.

message 5: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) go on wikipedia and look up the dark hunter series and they have the reading order.

message 6: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 52 comments This is the only series that I have had the hardest time getting the correct reading order.

message 7: by Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (last edited Aug 07, 2009 03:25PM) (new)

Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (jamie_badboyinspector) | 18 comments One wikipedia it is in the same order as the printout or the way Kelley and Sara read them..lol. I am so confused but I guess I will read them like you ladies did. I just can't wait to get to Acheron, the Dream Hunters just don't interest me that much.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela (lala75) | 11 comments glad i wasnt the only one struggling!!! loving them - just starting dance with the devil - but am already wanting to read acheron - am going to need to do some serious reading!!!

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Her website has the full order of the series.

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "I'm not sure! I think that hardest part is that goodreads counts some of the short stories in as books. I think they need to count them a different way. Like if it comes between book 2 and 3, ma..."

I agree!

message 11: by Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (last edited Aug 09, 2009 07:30AM) (new)

Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (jamie_badboyinspector) | 18 comments See I like that goodreads counts the shorts in the list but I do think maybe they should be .5 or something. I do like knowing where the shorts fit in the whole story though.

Jess her website is why I am confused. It is listed 2 different ways on it and is different than other list out there.

Thanks everyone for your help. I decided to go with Kelley's reading order since alot of people read them like that.

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oh it does? It might be listed differently because some include the dream hunter books within the dark hunter series, and some people don't. So she may have listed it both ways.

I would also go with Kelley's list. I read it in the same order.

Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (jamie_badboyinspector) | 18 comments I am all most to Acheron lol!! 1 more book between me and the MAN!!

message 14: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Aug 09, 2009 09:21PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 132 comments LOL thats how I felt Jamie :D

And it was ALL worth it!!

I shouldn't make it sound like it was work. I enjoyed EVERY damn hunter book on the way :D

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments I am going to add to the votes for Kelley's list. It's the order the books were published in.

message 16: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Acheron is well worth the wait! I actually just started Bad Moon Rising and am loving it so far too! But I just couldn't read Dream Warrior. I seem to have trouble with a lot of the dream hunter books. I'm just really worried though that I'm going to end up being lost because I haven't read it.

Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (jamie_badboyinspector) | 18 comments I know what you mean Kelley. I struggled through Upon the Midnight Clear. It just boring in my opinion. But I am looking forward to Dream Chaser. I think Xypher is going to be a great character from what I read of him in Devil May Cry. Cratus's story doesn't interest me in the least but I will push on..lol

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara (leelan) | 51 comments I totally agree with the Dream Hunter books. I had high expectations for Dream Chaser because a lot of people liked it but it felt the same as the rest of the Dream Hunters to me. I could have done without it. There were some funny parts though.

message 19: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Of all of the dream hunter books, Dream Chaser would be my fav. But overall, I just don't really like the dream hunter books. Not sure why, I love all of the dark hunter and were hunter books!

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I DESPISE Upon the Midnight Clear. UGHHH. I even bought every other book and refused to buy that one. I can't stand it.

I did like Dream Chaser though, Xypher is just hot. :)
As the dreamhunter books go on, you see more characters from the dark hunter series involved. The newest book Dream Warrior is important to the DH storyline. I think that one should be read.

message 21: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments dang it! I guess that means I should stop reading Bad Moon Rising and try to get through Dream Warrior! lol I was really wishing that someone would say that Dream Warrior was one that could easily be skipped.

message 22: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments So I have a question then... can you read JUST the Dark Hunter series without reading the Dream Hunter series? And/or can you read them as too seperate series, or is it best to read them "in order"??

message 23: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments It's best to read them in order because characters will show up in both of them. Luckily, there aren't many dream hunter books! I really thought that I could get away with skipping one of them, but it sounds like I can't even skip it.

message 24: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments Ok, that is what I was figuring but wanted to double check ;) Thanks KA!

message 25: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah Dream Warrior is important, not the others so much. Dream Warrior goes into detail about Nick and his changing role in the Dark Hunter world. There were also new character introductions at the end of the book which is also important for the series.

There's some background story in Dream Warrior as well with some interesting tidbits in there about Jaden and Jared.

message 26: by Vivi (new)

Vivi I think its best to read all books in order including the short stories.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I think in order is important as well, which leads to a question I have...

I was in B&N yesterday and saw Night Pleasures has been re-released in hardcover and the front says it's book 1 of the Dark Hunter series. I was under the impression that Fantasy Lover with Julian was book 1. Anyone know?

message 28: by Vivi (new)

Vivi There are 3 series, Dark-Hunter Were-Hunter and Dream-Hunter, and short stories, Fantasy Lover is before Night Pleasures it's just not counted as part of the series. I like to read all of the books as a single series because of the characters that show up in different books.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish But Julian and his wife (can't recall her name) are in the Dark Hunter series as well... I'm so confused!

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think that Julian's book is technically the first book of the series but since neither Julian or his wife are dark hunters they say it's not part of the series.

On Kenyon's website it's listed as book 1 though.

message 31: by Vivi (new)

Vivi Grace is his wife, I would just read all of them starting with Fantasy Lover and then go through the other series at the same time putting them in the correct timeline. It's hard because there are so many different reading lists.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish That's right, Grace.

See, I my reading addiction had only begun when I started DarkHunters. So I just picked them up from the library, out of order of course. Not a good idea.

I need to go back and start over, but I can't afford all the books.

message 33: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments There are so many books in the series, I was such an addict that I bought them all expect for the most recent one Bad Moon Rising ( because it was hardcover)

But I love almost every book, there's only one I don't like and it's Upon the Midnight Clear. ugh. what a waste.

message 34: by Vivi (new)

Vivi Uniquely Moi wrote: "That's right, Grace.

See, I my reading addiction had only begun when I started DarkHunters..."

My addiction started with them too, im trying to collect the whole series :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I've considered buying them up, a couple here and there.

I haven't gotten Bad Moon Rising yet either, for exactly the same reason. Hard cover.

I did buy Lover Avenged in hard cover, and will continue to buy them in hard cover (should they be published that way).. I am toooooooooooooo addicted not to.

message 36: by Vivi (new)

Vivi Uniquely Moi wrote: "I've considered buying them up, a couple here and there.

I haven't gotten Bad Moon Rising yet either, for exactly the same reason. Hard cover.

I did buy Lover Avenged in hard cover, and will ..."

lol, what's Lover Avenged, another series?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Vivi wrote: "lol, what's Lover Avenged, another series? .."

*GASP* LOL It's J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood and it is amaaaaaaaaaazing. My all time favorite series ever in the whole world and universe even. LOL

Dark Lover is book 1 in the series and if you ever get the chance, read it. The whole world created is simply amazing and the Brothers are hot hot hot! There are 7 books in the series and they just get better and better.

message 38: by Vivi (new)

Vivi Ok, i will but first i have to finish the series im currently reading

message 39: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Sep 24, 2009 09:39AM) (new)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments I don't want to confuse things but where does Dragonswan fit in to the order? It's a short book but I've seen it listed as the first, second and third Dark-hunter story.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I didn't think that Dragonswan really had much to do with Dark Hunters. It's a good story, though...

You can find it as a single short story or in the anthology, Tapestry.

message 41: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments It was about a were dragon.. but I didn't have much to do with the dark hunters. There are also some other anthologies that are pretty great and feature some characters that are part of the DH world but you don't see as much of in the overall series.