Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2012! > Melissa Is Giving It Another Go!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments I'm so excited to get started!
My first book will be:
1. Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement A Guide for Officers and Their Families

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments Since I just finished these yesterday (and will thusly move the end date of my challenge to 8/4/2010), I'm going to add these two books to my list:
2. Far-Flung Adventures Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures) by Paul Stewart Corby Flood
3. Amelia Earhart's Shoes Is the Mystery Solved? by Thomas F. King Amelia Earhart's Shoes

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 4. [image error] Diary of a Wimpy Kid, by Jeff Kinney

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 5. Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff Bad Monkeys, by Matt Ruff: WOW, read this book

message 5: by Melissa (last edited Aug 13, 2009 04:49PM) (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 6. Youn Hee & Me, by C.S. Adler

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 7. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 8. Stardust Being a Romance Within the Realms of Faerie (Graphic Novel) by Neil Gaiman Stardust, by Neil Gaiman: Adorable! If you liked the movie, you'll love the book even more!

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 9. The Book of Three (Chronicles of Prydain, Book 1) by Lloyd Alexander The Book of Three, by Lloyd Alexander: This kind of got of to a slow start, but I can see why children would enjoy this fantasy adventure

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 10. Masterpiece by Elise Broach Masterpiece, by Elise Broach

11. The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain, Book 2) by Lloyd Alexander The Black Cauldron, by Lloyd Alexander

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 12. Sewer, Gas and Electric The Public Works Trilogy by Matt Ruff Sewer, Gas, and Electric by Matt Ruff

13. Goody Hall, by Natalie Babbitt

message 11: by Melissa (last edited Dec 22, 2009 04:34PM) (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 14. Hoot by Carl Hiaasen Hoot, by Carl Hiaasen
15. The Whipping Boy (HarperClassics) by Sid Fleischman The Whipping Boy, by Sid Fleischman

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 16. [image error] The Serial Garden, by Joan Aiken: Delightful!

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 17. The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes The Hundred Dresses: Eleanor Estes

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 18. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt Tuck Everlasting: Natalie Babbitt

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Melissa wrote: "18. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt Tuck Everlasting: Natalie Babbitt"

My favorite children's book of all time and I was a children's librarian for 38 years.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 19. Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson Feathers: Jacqueline Woodson
20. The Man Who Loved Clowns by June Rae Wood The Man Who Loved Clowns: June Rae Wood

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 408 comments I love your book choices. I read a lot of kids lit, too. I'm reading Babe and Me with my 9 yo son. I also have When You Reach Me and City of Ember on my TBR pile.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 21. The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning: Lemony Snicket

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments Chris wrote: "I love your book choices. I read a lot of kids lit, too. I'm reading Babe and Me with my 9 yo son. I also have When You Reach Me and City of Ember on my TBR pile."

Thanks for the comments! I'm studying to be an elementary teacher, so I'm trying to get as much kids lit in as I can before I start teaching. City of Ember is for sure on my list, but I've never heard of When You Reach Me...I'll definitely check it out!

message 20: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherrij2003) I've read A Series Of Unfortunate Events (All 13 of them) and I must say I enjoyed them even though they were kind of odd. Much perfer them to the movie...which just turned everything around.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments Sherri wrote: "I've read A Series Of Unfortunate Events (All 13 of them) and I must say I enjoyed them even though they were kind of odd. Much perfer them to the movie...which just turned everything around."

The book was super-odd! I can see why kids would love reading it though...and I'll definitely steer clear of the movie for a while!

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 22. Frindle by Andrew Clements Frindle: Andrew Clements

message 23: by Melissa (last edited Feb 26, 2010 05:46PM) (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 23. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch The Last Lecture: Randy Pausch
...I cried. I'm a crier.

message 24: by Melissa (last edited Mar 01, 2010 06:35AM) (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 24. The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman The Golden Compass: Philip Pullman

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 25. The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman The Subtle Knife: Philip Pullman

I'm half way finished!

message 26: by Melissa (last edited Mar 26, 2010 10:21AM) (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 26. The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) by Philip Pullman The Amber Spyglass: Philip Pullman

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 27. Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff Fool on the Hill: Matt Ruff
....oh, dear, I need to step it up on my reading if I want to finish in time!

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 28. Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth by E.L. Konigsburg Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth: E.L. Konigsburg

Perhaps it is true that resorting to young adult literature here in the last stretch of my year is cheating, but I don't care...I'm going to complete this thing!

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 29. Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner Little Earthquakes: Jennifer Weiner

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments Ok, ok, so I sucked it up last time, but I'm going to try much harder, and I think I'm already off to a great start.

Here we go...

1. Water for Elephants Water for Elephants: Sara Gruen

2. Ape House Ape House: Sara Gruen

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 3. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: Jonathan Safran Foer

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 4. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games: Suzanne Collins

Wow!

message 33: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 5. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire: Suzanne Collins

More satisfying than the first...

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 6. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay: Suzanne Collins

Well, it ended as well as it could have....

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 7. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell Oops...it's been a while. I just finished reading Island of the Blue Dolphins (Scott O'Dell) to my class, and they were mesmerized! (particularly the boys).

Still working on East of Eden...

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 8. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe Things Fall Apart: Chinua Achebe

I just went to my library's book sale, and am super-excited about all of my finds--this was the first!

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 9. The Only Good Thing Anyone Has Ever Done A Novel by Sandra Newman The Only Good Thing Anyone Has Ever Done: Sandra Newman

10. Vision in White (Bride Quartet, #1) by Nora Roberts Vision in White: Nora Roberts

Going for a little fluff this time.

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 11. Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2) by Nora Roberts Bed of Roses: Nora Roberts

More fluff to come, I'm afraid. Then back to the serious, real literature. :) Happy summer!

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 12. Savor the Moment (Bride Quartet, #3) by Nora Roberts Savor the Moment: Nora Roberts

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 13. Happy Ever After (Bride Quartet, #4) by Nora Roberts Happy Ever After: Nora Roberts

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 14. Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin Something Borrowed: Emily Giffin

Let me just finish this series, and then we'll get back to more serious reading...

message 42: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 15. Something Blue by Emily Giffin Something Blue: Emily Giffin

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 16. Baby Proof by Emily Giffin Baby Proof: Emily Giffin

message 44: by Melissa (last edited Jul 04, 2012 09:12AM) (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 17. Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin Love the One You're With: Emily Giffin

18. One of Our Thursdays Is Missing (Thursday Next, #6) by Jasper Fforde One of Our Thursdays is Missing: Jasper Fforde

I love this series--it makes me want to read all of the books mentioned!

19. Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner Best Friends Forever: Jennifer Weiner

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 20. Then Came You A Novel by Jennifer Weiner Then Came You: Jennifer Weiner

I love all of Jennifer Weiner's books, but this may be my favorite.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) I see you went on a bit of an Emily Giffin binge, haha! The only book I've read of hers is the new one, Where We Belong but it was pretty good =)

message 47: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 144 comments I've read Water for Elephants and the Hunger Games Trilogy from your list. I really enjoyed them both. Water for Elephants gave such background on an unknown period of history for me, the traveling circus, which was interesting. How are you doing with the challenge?

message 48: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments 21. Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin Heart of the Matter: Emily Giffin

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments Tiffani wrote: "I see you went on a bit of an Emily Giffin binge, haha! The only book I've read of hers is the new one, Where We Belong but it was pretty good =)"

Tiffani,
My friend recommended all of those books to me--as it turns out, I'm not a real big Emily Giffin fan. As far as chick lit is concerned, I'd much rather stick with Jennifer Weiner! Have you read anything by her?

message 50: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (emjayin) | 73 comments Maureen wrote: "I've read Water for Elephants and the Hunger Games Trilogy from your list. I really enjoyed them both. Water for Elephants gave such background on an unknown period of history for me, the travel..."

Maureen,
I, too, enjoyed Water for Elephants for that reason. I ended up reading another Sara Gruen book, anyway! I'm definitely behind on the challenge, but I'm using the summer (and some easy, girly books) to catch up!

« previous 1