twilight lovers! discussion

Books in the Twilight Series > Stephenie Meyer in plagiarism battle over Breaking Dawn

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Thomas (beckythomas) | 12 comments 'According to TMZ, attorneys for author Jordan Scott have sent a cease and desist letter to Twilight Saga publishing house, Hatchette Book Group, claiming that Breaking Dawn, the fourth Meyer Twilight Saga novel, steals plot points from the Jordan Scott novel, The Nocturne.'
I personnally didnt rate the book as one of the best in the saga..parts of it was totally weird! but hey i dont think she copied no way, her books r so original! why when ur on the fourth book n u already have such a large fan base, why copy someone elses work!! i think it a load of rubbish n this Jordon Scoot neads to get a life!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 05, 2009 02:58AM) (new)

A lot of books have similar plots, and a lot. But Stephenie holds the copyright to all of her characters and plotlines. This is just another person trying to get publicity, through bigotry. I for one, am not going to pay any more attention to this case. Jordan Scott is a cry baby. I'm over it.

I've never even heard of Jordan Scott, I doubt Stephenie read of his books. Let alone steal them.

message 3: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Melzz wrote: "A lot of books have similar plots, and a lot. But Stephenie holds the copyright to all of her characters and plotlines. This is just another person trying to get publicity, through bigotry. I for o..."

Melzz is right a lot of books have similar plots! Guess what? They're called: GENERAL PLOT LINES! You won't see a lot of books now a days with a completely different plot! Take Uglies and Fahrenheit 451 they have the same general plot line of Different world, Select few who go against it. that type of thing. But they were completely different. What makes them different is the characters, the writing style and all those little details!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

What she said.

message 5: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) It just seems so ironic that these plagiarism suits pop up when authors are at their peak. Do you know what I mean? The same thing just recently happened to J.K. Rowling. Some no name author claimed that she copied the idea of Harry Potter from him. These people are just buying off of their fame--it's as if they know that if they claim plagiarism on some popular author, it's going to get in the news and their name is going to get out there. It's sick, y'know--get your own fame.

Phew! Rant over :)

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (lovn_mr_darcy) | 46 comments Agreed!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed.

message 8: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Savage (savagegy6) Has anyone read the documents that show side by side the sections of each book this author things is similar? If not here is the link http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_documents/0...

I can see slight similarities as ideas are similar on how these situations would go however, the characters, plot and details are completely different. I don't think this will hold up in court and it's funny that Breaking Dawn has been out what a year and she's just now crying plagiarism? What about The Vampire Diaries? That has a resemblance in plot, male vampire meets human girl and the struggle of their love...hello, people see an interesting plot and feel inspired to write it in their own view of how it would go all the time! (Not implying that is what Meyers did.)
You see it all the time in Hollywood, if a movie is a huge hit EVERYONE tries to recreate that hit appeal. Twilight gets hugely popular and suddenly there are a million vampire books coming out and most on the vamp/human relationship dynamic. Such as True Blood, that is just an adult version of the same relationship struggle.
I say BS to this author and call her a fame coat tails grabber. She flopped and is wanting something for her efforts.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's hilarious how they insinuate that because it was on the Internet, Stephenie had access to it, and because she had access to it, she read it. What a joke!

Melzz's Detailed Analysis of the "Detailed Analysis"

• First paragraph of "detailed analysis": Is only similar descriptions of scenery. That doesn't equate to anything!

• 2nd part of "detailed analysis": Besides the description of braids, there is nothing similar about the two.

• 3rd part of "detailed analysis": Okay, two people facing each other after they get to the end of the isle. Wow, that is so similar!*sarcasm* I think it's the general consensus that you face each other when getting married. I could be wrong... Maybe people are supposed to have their butts to each other and Jordan Scott was the only one that thought of this new and crazy way to get married.

• 4th part of "Detailed Analysis": They both have the type of vows that end in "as long as you both shall live". That automatically means Stephenie Stole the entire book???

~Page 3 of "Detailed Analysis"~

• Wow, the both brushed lips. That kind of happens from time to time when your with someone, Jordan Scott. It's not really your original idea.

• 6th part of "detailed analysis": Nothing. Absolutely no resemblance in this part. Water on toes. ZOMG.

Okay people, you can pretty much catch my drift. I might post more "similarities" later, if and when I feel like it. Jordan should really think about getting new lawyers if a civilian, such as myself, can counter all of her claims.

- Melzz

message 10: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Melzz wrote: "I think it's hilarious how they insinuate that because it was on the Internet, Stephenie had access to it, and because she had access to it, she read it. What a joke!

Melzz's Detailed Analysis ..."

um...im too tired to read all of that, but it looks very professional.

message 11: by Daisy (new)

Daisy lol that was the most hilarious thing

message 12: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ what, what i said?

message 13: by Mellady77 (last edited Aug 06, 2009 08:52PM) (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 1149 comments Cassidy wrote: "Has anyone read the documents that show side by side the sections of each book this author things is similar? If not here is the link http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_documents/0......"

Sookie Stackhouse is also a female human in love with a Vampire male...just saying she might be stealing from her too. He he he!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

♥Jenny♥ wrote: "um...im too tired to read all of that, but it looks very professional."

It's actually short, I just put in a lot of spaces to make it list-like, and easier to read.

message 15: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Mellady77 wrote: "Cassidy wrote: "Has anyone read the documents that show side by side the sections of each book this author things is similar? If not here is the link http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_documents/0......"

what are you guys talking about?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Mellady is pointing out another book that has a similar plotline. They arent' getting sued.

message 17: by Mellady77 (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 1149 comments Melzz wrote: "Mellady is pointing out another book that has a similar plotline. They arent' getting sued."

What she said.

message 18: by Daisy (new)

Daisy ♥Jenny♥ wrote: "what, what i said?"
no Melzz

message 19: by Cassidy (last edited Aug 06, 2009 09:13PM) (new)

Cassidy Savage (savagegy6) lol that's what I'm saying! Every book where a female human is falling in love with a male vampire is subsequently plagiarizing every other book in the genre! There are only so many ways to say they feel in love, had sex, married, got pregnant, she was changed, how they courted, blah blah blah without ringing resemblance with countless other books. lol Kind of the point when it gets popular, we want a similar read because we're addicted to it and crave more! I guess if this Scott persons book was any good we would have snatched it up in earnest and this wouldn't be an issue! lol

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Or Scott's just a bigot. I like that theory better. :D

message 21: by Mellady77 (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 1149 comments I want a book where a human guy falls in love with a Vampire girl!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, but then it would destroy the cliché. Lol.

message 23: by Mellady77 (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 1149 comments I pitch to Summit with all our other ideas we are gathering.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Mellady77 wrote: "I want a book where a human guy falls in love with a Vampire girl!"

Isn't the Wraith series centered about a powerful girl, and a blue-eyed cop that she loves? I don't know if she's a vampire but she is magical. I think.

message 25: by Mellady77 (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 1149 comments Melzz wrote: "Mellady77 wrote: "I want a book where a human guy falls in love with a Vampire girl!"

Isn't the Wraith series centered about a powerful girl, and a blue-eyed cop that she loves? I ..."

Needs to be a she-vamp!

message 26: by Mellady77 (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 1149 comments WAIT! Delete these posts so no one with steal them before we get the copyrights!!! LOL

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I know. Succubus Blues! The Georgia Kincaid series. It's about a female vampire, and her human love. There ya go.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Mellady77 wrote: "WAIT! Delete these posts so no one with steal them before we get the copyrights!!! LOL"

Lol

message 29: by Daisy (new)

Daisy OMG!

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 06, 2009 09:59PM) (new)

I know.

(I don't really know, what are you OMGing about?)

Whatever it is I agree!

message 31: by Daisy (new)

Daisy lol I don't know either, I'm sleepy

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

zzz

message 33: by Daisy (new)

Daisy lol

message 34: by Rosie (new)

Rosie | 4 comments that is the STUPIDEST thing i have ever heard in my life!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I know, right?

message 36: by Mellady77 (new)

Mellady77 Stibich | 1149 comments Melzz wrote: "Oh, I know. Succubus Blues! The Georgia Kincaid series. It's about a female vampire, and her human love. There ya go."

WHoo hoo!

message 37: by Della (last edited Aug 08, 2009 10:22PM) (new)

Della | 62 comments well these days vampire books are all the rage, so it wouldn't surprise me if they accidentally end up in the same plot line:forbidden romance.
anways, i wonder wats going to happen...
this is prob stupid, but what is a cease and desist letter? :P

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

It's is an order or request to halt an activity, or else face legal action.

I like to think of it as a "cease to exist" letter.

message 39: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Della wrote: "well these days vampire books are all the rage, so it wouldn't surprise me if they accidentally end up in the same plot line:forbidden romance.
anways, i wonder wats going to happen...
this is ..."

i know rite. that's all that ppl seem to be writing these days. like every time i turn around i see another book about vamps.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Or another TV show. First there was True Blood, and now they're coming out with vampire diaries, the television show.

message 41: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ really? is it based off of the books?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes.

message 43: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Oh. Idk if i'll watch that. How about you?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think so. It'll probably ruin the book for me since I don't find the actors playing the guys attractive. If I ever watch it I'll read the books first. And I don't think the girl has the right look either. I'd start out with my own images.

message 45: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Ooo, well that's a good idea. And where did they post the cast for the show?

message 46: by Della (new)

Della | 62 comments I like True Blood!
Its actually orginial and its more adult than Twilight. Its different because vampires are segragated in the community and unwillingly accepted. If you'rre dating a vamp, people look at you weird.

message 47: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Della wrote: "I like True Blood!
Its actually orginial and its more adult than Twilight. Its different because vampires are segragated in the community and unwillingly accepted. If you'rre dating a vamp, peopl..."

I saw an episode of True Blood and it was okay. I've seen better.

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 08, 2009 10:56PM) (new)

♥Jenny♥ wrote: "Ooo, well that's a good idea. And where did they post the cast for the show?"

I saw the trailers for the show, I don't know the actor's names. The CW shows the previews from time to time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFHUKg...

There's just something about her eyes and her voice that bothers me. And Stephan is scruffy.

message 49: by ♥Jenny♥ (new)

♥Jenny♥ Ooo, whe was okay looking. and that girl was in Degrassi! wow. the preview didnt make me want to watch the show though.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Elena is supposed to be blonde...

« previous 1