Historical Fictionistas discussion

Favorite HF Authors > Philippa Gregory

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments I've only read The Other Boleyn Girl, but I have Boleyn Inheritance sitting around somewhere to read.

I read Other Boleyn Girl when it first came out, way before the movie hype...I have to admit that I don't remember it super well, so perhaps I should re-read it.

message 2: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments I read The Other Bolelyn Girl, which actually initiated my interest in historical fiction... So, yay, Philippa Gregory! I tried to read The Constant Princess but I kept falling asleep so I put it to the side.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 43 comments Like Allison, I've only read The Other Boleyn Girl.

message 4: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments Heather wrote: "I have The Constant Princess but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. So it was pretty boring, huh? I'll have to pick the right time to read that one then...lol :)"

I don't know if I just wasn't into it at that particular time or if it was boring! Which is your fave so far?

message 5: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments Heather wrote: "Natalee wrote: I don't know if I just wasn't into it at that particular time or if it was boring! Which is your fave so far?

Hmmm, probably The Other Boleyn Girl followed closely by ..."

Definitely! I loved The Other Boleyn Girl. I devoured it. Wondering which one I should read next...

message 6: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 39 comments I've only read The Boleyn Inheritance. I remember liking it, but not loving it. It was intriguing reading from the points of view of Henry VIII's (I think that is the correct Henry, idk there's a lot of Henrys LOL) wives.

message 7: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (last edited Aug 05, 2009 09:02AM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
I have read: The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance, both of which I liked very much and got me interested in the Tudors period. I also own the second in the The Wideacre Trilogy. At the time I didn't know this was a series, so I have to get the first one from the library.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments ugh Jackie...I HATE that. Getting a book that looks good and finding out its #534534 in a series.

message 9: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "ugh Jackie...I HATE that. Getting a book that looks good and finding out its #534534 in a series."

I know me too! I wish there was some kind of requirement that makes publishers have to put the number where the book comes in the series on the binder or one of the inside pages. I know sometimes they list the books but if each are named something different you really have no idea it's a series.

message 10: by Felina (new)

Felina | 500 comments Allison wrote: "ugh Jackie...I HATE that. Getting a book that looks good and finding out its #534534 in a series."

I agree. I think they should put the series title and the number it is in the series in huge letters on the front of the book. I bought the 6th Outlander book because I thought it looked really good and didn't know it was a series. Now I have to get 5 other books. Lame.

message 11: by Jon (new)

Jon | 342 comments i got a bit snobby over The other boleyn girl only becuase ive read a lot of real history of the time and it bothered my somewhat, the lisensce she took, i know it shouldnt, its a novel after all, but i find it hard when its about real life characters and youve read a lot of biographies about them, i think i prefer them to stay as fictional characters. That said id be interested in Alison weirs fiction as ive read a lot of her non-fiction historical books and they were great, and obviously shes a historian

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 299 comments I've read all of her PG's books including The Other Queen A Novel, which is about Mary, Queen of Scots. The only other one that hasn't been discussed in this thread is The White Queen A Novel, which comes out on August 22 (I think) and is about the War of the Roses.

I really like PG as a historical fiction author. She's really what got me into the whole genre. My favorites were The Boleyn Inheritance (my first book by her) and The Other Boleyn Girl. My least favorite was The Other Queen. IMO, The Other Queen was just plain boring.

It bothers when you have such a fascinating time with fascinating people in their own right, coupled with the license to right pretty well whatever you want under the fiction umbrella, as STILL come up with a boring book. Ugh... sorry, I get a bit passionate about these things.

Jon - I couldn't agree more about the license she took. Some things I was okay with, others I wasn't. It's like when they make a movie based on a book (in any genre). Some parts I get leaving out. By why totally change things?

As a side-note, I just finished Alison Weir's Children of England/Children of Henry VIII (UK & US titles respectively) and it was fantastic if you haven't read it yet! I've got The War of the Roses and The Princes in the Tower on my bookshelf waiting for me. Have you read either or can you let me know your favorites by her?

message 13: by Jon (new)

Jon | 342 comments Jennifer wrote: "I've read all of her PG's books including The Other Queen A Novel, which is about Mary, Queen of Scots. The only other one that hasn't been discussed in this thread is [book:The Whi..."

ive read all of those apart from the Henry VIII one and also Elizabeth the Queen, all of them great

agree with you on changed movies too, just had a nasty experience with count of monte cristo 2002 film and hated the changes!

JG (Introverted Reader) I really liked The Other Boleyn Girl and really didn't care for The Virgin's Lover. There was just one whiny woman in there that I wanted to smack around, and I'm really not a violent person. I have something else laying around here to read...The Boleyn Inheritance.

message 15: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) | 146 comments Philippa Gregory and her gorgeous book covers are what got me started with historical fiction. I've read The Other Boleyn Girl, The Boleyn Inheritance, The Queen's Fool, The Virgin's Lover, The Contstant Princess, the Other Queen and the Wideacre Trilogy (those are rather dark). I have Earthly Joys, Virgin Earth, the Wise Woman, and a Respectable Trade on my shelf yet to read. I'm looking forward to the Red Queen coming out this year.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments I love her. I read "The Other Boelyn Girl" and "The Boelyn Inheritance" I have "The Virgin Lover", "The Queen's Fool" and "The Constant Princess" I have read the latter ones but i hope to get a couple in for this challenge.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments just a year ago?

message 18: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) I have such a hard time reading PG. I enjoyed TOBG as a novel, but I'm rereading it (just for giggles) and I'm having such a hard time with the inaccuracies. I know it's novel, but when you tout yourself as an historian I expect more i guess. There is one glaring mistake in particular, but I won't get into it. I loved The Boleyn Inheritance because there isn't that much known about those three women (Jane Boleyn, Anne of Cleves, and Katherine Howard), so I wasn't as concerned about accuracy. The Constant Princess wasn't my favorite. She can tell a story, and I have to give her credit because TOBG was what started my Tudor fanaticism, and I'm getting a second major in history now because of that.
Jon, Alison Weir's fiction books are amazing!!!! Innocent Traitor is unbelievable, but in a good way!! Someone also mentioned the Children of Henry VIII. Yet another great book! I read the two in succession, they complement each other quite well. Sorry for going on a different tangent!!!!!!

message 19: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 700 comments I have read The Other Boleyn Girl, The White Queen, The Virgin's Lover, The Constant Princess and am currently listening to The Boleyn Inheritance. I have enjoyed all of them. I also have The Other Queen yet to read.

I really enjoyed The Constant Princess because I had so many questions in my mind about Catherine of Aragon after having read The Other Boleyn Girl and that one helped to give me some more background.

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1 comments I started with The Other Boleyn Girl and like so many others got hooked. I read the Boleyn Inheritance and the Queen's Fool, and they have gotten progressively more boring, but maybe I just really like all the salaciousness of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, who knows? I also recently finished The Constant Princess, which I thought would be amazing because I so much loved the character of Catherine in TOBG... but I found it a little strange and boring. Catherine was not the woman I thought she was. I guess I was just disappointed. I still feel like I'm addicted to PG though. I'll try The Virgin's Lover next to stay in chronological order.

message 21: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 74 comments Does anyone have any more input or opinions on The Wideacre Trilogy? I saw Holly mentioned they are kind of dark. I have all three but haven't read them yet so I'm a bit curious.

message 22: by Lindz (new)

Lindz (miss_bovary00) The 'Wideacre Trilogy? is very very dark. Beatrice the main character in the first novel, is like Scarlet O'Hara but on steroids. She does go into similar themes as her other novels, female power, families that kind of thing, but maybe because there is no historical base (and these are historical novels) so you just end up thinking these people are crazy.

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 74 comments Hmmm, that's interesting they are so dark since all of the other Gregory books I've read haven't been so much. She definitely isn't as strong as other HF writers when it comes to accuracy (Penman comes to mind for that), but I still enjoy reading her books even if they have a lot of fluff. I just take them with a grain of salt.

message 24: by Hannah (last edited Jun 26, 2010 08:06AM) (new)

Hannah (harshmallow) | 405 comments I read The Other Boleyn Girl a year and a half ago. I recall enjoying it at the time, but I do not remember it well at all for some reason. It was just not one of those books that stuck with me. It's probably worth a reread at some point. Oh, and I have The Constant Princess. Maybe I'll read that after I, Claudius.

message 25: by MzDivaDawn (new)

MzDivaDawn | 5 comments I love Philippa Gregory - I'm an audiobook addict, so I've listened to "The Other Queen, "The Virgin's Lover, "The White Queen," "The Boleyn Inheritance," and "The Constant Princess." I also have "The Red Queen" on my list. I enjoy Jean Plaidy as well as Alison Weir. I can't get my hands on enough English historical fiction. I even love Lauren Willig, who has a series take-off from the Scarlet Pimpernel called the Pink Carnation series that is absolutely engaging!

message 26: by Sharon A. (new)

Sharon A. (sharona826) | 7 comments I loved both the Boleyn books, but got disgusted with Wideacre and didn't finish it.

I'd like to read The Constant Princess and The Other Queen though.

Kimberly, I had read some of the reviews of Wideacre, but until I started reading it I didn't realize the depth (and Gregory's graphic detail) of the incestuous relationship between 2 of the main characters. That's why I quit reading it.

I know it may not be a problem for everyone, but it really grossed me out.

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 74 comments Wow, I bought the Wideacre trilogy without knowing much about it so I didn't realize there was so much incest in it. Gross! Since I have all 3 books though, I'm still going to give it a try. Thanks for the heads up!

message 28: by Tanya (last edited Jul 09, 2010 03:14PM) (new)

Tanya Mac (YOYOCHKMEOUTHOTMAILCOM) | 51 comments Wideacre made me blush so much. I really was shocked. I am the type of person who has to finish a book once I start or I cant sleep at night. I finished the series and then sold them all on ebay! If you have a weak stomache then I suggest you not read these ones. The others are great and I loved them!! I think my favorite is The Queen's Fool

message 29: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 09, 2010 03:22PM) (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 74 comments I definitely don't have a weak stomach, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing, LOL. It sounds like such a strange book...I wonder what made PG go there.

message 30: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Mac (YOYOCHKMEOUTHOTMAILCOM) | 51 comments Kimberly wrote: "I wonder what made PG go there."

I wonder what made anyone go there.....LOL

message 31: by Moon (new)

Moon | -40 comments I'm reading The White Queen now. This is my first book of hers and although I am only about 50 pages into it, I do like it so far. I was excited when I heard there was a book that took place during the period of the Wars of the Roses. Isn't this the first in a series?

message 32: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Mac (YOYOCHKMEOUTHOTMAILCOM) | 51 comments Moony let me know how the White Queen is. I havent read it yet and got kinda burned out after reading Wideacre and Fallen Skies.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2967 comments I think White Queen is part of a series since The Red Queen will be coming out soon.

message 34: by Moon (new)

Moon | -40 comments That's good to hear. And I'll be sure to post my thoughts when I am done reading this book!

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments I think there is another book (don't know if it's scheduled or already out) called the White Princess, to complete the trilogy - about Elizabeth of York, as opposed to Elizabeth Woodville and Margaret Beaufort.

message 36: by Moon (new)

Moon | -40 comments The witchcraft seems unnecessary in the story. Not really getting much of a sense of the characters beyond the narrator, and perhaps her mother, amidst all that is going on rather fast paced. Is this a staple of Gregory's novels?

message 37: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) I'm curious about the White Queen too. I loved the Boleyn Inheritance, but the Constant Princess left a really really bad taste in my mouth. I'm kind of indifferent about The Other Boleyn Girl.

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie (ygraine) The White Queen wasn't my favourite of Philippa Gregory's books. I think The King's Grey Mare by Rosemary Hawley Jarman was a much better version of Elizabeth Woodville's story, although admittedly it was many years ago that I read it.

message 39: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) So what did everyone think of the The Red Queen?

message 40: by Valerie (last edited Nov 01, 2010 07:11PM) (new)

Valerie | 327 comments Sharon A. wrote: "Got disgusted with Wideacre and didn't finish it. I had read some of the reviews of Wideacre, but until I started reading it I didn't realize the depth (and Gregory's graphic detail) of the incestuous relationship between 2 of the main characters. That's why I quit reading it.

I know it may not be a problem for everyone, but it really grossed me out."

Kimberly wrote: "I bought the Wideacre trilogy without knowing much about it so I didn't realize there was so much incest in it. Gross! Since I have all 3 books though, I'm still going to give it a try. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh WOW!!!! Glad I saw these comments! I bought the series too, but didn't know anyone who had read it. Sounded like they would be good books.... Had NO idea they dealt with that subject!! Don't know if I'll be able to read those parts... totally turns my stomach! It's just not "entertainment" if you ask me...

message 41: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Leighanne (sleighanne) I've read The Other Boleyn Girl and I LOVED it. I couldn't put it down. I'm looking into getting some of her other books, but I have a stack of books I need to finish before I get on to those.

message 42: by Faith (new)

Faith Justice | 241 comments I very much enjoyed TOBG, in spite of its inaccuracies. I yawned through The Constant Princess and decided I would spend my time elsewhere. But PG is the elephant in the room. Her covers led to the "headless" woman covers of the last decade and her books did bring a lot of people back/to HF, so I'm grateful to her.

However, here is a dissenting voice, an anti-PG rant on video, very funny: Part I on TOBG and Part II on Wideacre.

message 43: by Babs (last edited May 25, 2011 01:00PM) (new)

Babs (somedaybabs) | 72 comments Holly P wrote: "Philippa Gregory and her gorgeous book covers are what got me started with historical fiction. I've read The Other Boleyn Girl, The Boleyn Inheritance, The Queen's Fool, The Virgin's Lover, The Co..."

If you are into gardening and how plants came over form the US to England you would like Earthly Joys and then Virgin Earth...two of my favorites after The Other Boleyn Girl.

The plant Spiderwort, Tradescantia sp. was named after John Tradescant.

http://www.gpnc.org/spiderwo.htm

message 44: by Mysti (new)

Mysti | 2 comments I love Philippa Gregory's books. Her books got me in to historical fiction. I don't know how accurate her books are but she is a great story teller. I first picked up The Boleyn Inheritance and then The Other Boleyn Girl. I wish I would of read the TOBG first. But thats the way it goes somethimes. I look forward to reading all her books. So far I have read all The Tudor Court series. MY favorite was The Queen's Fool. And I have also read Fallen Skies and The White Queen. Look forward to reading The Red Queen next.

message 45: by Jeanna (new)

Jeanna I love Philippa Gregory. I agree that she's not always historically accurate but I get so caught up in the story that I tend to overlook that! TOBG is one of my favorite books. I have The Red Queen sitting on my shelf and it's going to be my next book I think.

message 46: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Dray (stephaniedray) | 48 comments I really loved Wideacre, even though it started off so incredibly slow. I had no idea what to expect, so I was horrified by the heroine until I realized I was supposed to hate her and that this was a grand demented tragedy. When viewed as a metaphor for the destructive female power inside all of us, it was riveting. It was a book I'll never forget. The sequels, in which the women were far more "likable" were less compelling. Give me a bad girl heroine every time. (Of course, in Beatrice's case, she was more like a sociopath...but I bet some of you watch Dexter...)

message 47: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 74 comments I've been wanting to read the trilogy (I have all the books), but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. It certainly sounds interesting and polarizing!

message 48: by Babs (new)

Babs (somedaybabs) | 72 comments Stephanie wrote: "I really loved Wideacre, even though it started off so incredibly slow. I had no idea what to expect, so I was horrified by the heroine until I realized I was supposed to hate her and ..."

Good to read a favorable review of Wideacre and get your perspective on the characters. I wonder if that is why so many didn't like it...they are looking for "nice" people all the time...

message 49: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nicola1) I love Philippa Gregory - my favourites are probably The Queen's Fool and The Other Boleyn Girl.

I also really enjoyed the Wideacre trilogy - I agree it is a story that stays with you!

message 50: by Holly P (new)

Holly P (hlp0221) | 146 comments I really liked Wideacre too but I thought the middle book The Favored Child was the weak point in that trilogy.

Of the 12 books by her I've read, I've enjoyed the Cousin's War books the least but still thought they were decent reads.

« previous 1 3