Start by marking “The Wideacre Trilogy: Wideacre + The Favoured Child + Meridon” as Want to Read:
The Wideacre Trilogy: Wideacre + The Favoured Child + Meridon

The Wideacre Trilogy: Wideacre + The Favoured Child + Meridon

(Wideacre #1-2-3)

From the New York Times bestselling author of THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL

Philippa Gregory

The Wideacre Trilogy

WIDEACRE

Beatrice Lacey, strong-minded and beautiful, refuses to conform to the social customs of her time. Destined to lose her family name and beloved Wideacre estate once she is married, Beatrice will use any means:--seduction, betrayal, even murder--to protect her

Published November 14th 2006 by Touchstone Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Wideacre Trilogy, please sign up.
Patty You need to stay away from historical FICTION.....and fiction altogether! Read all 3 and enjoyed them...they are probably the way things really were…moreYou need to stay away from historical FICTION.....and fiction altogether! Read all 3 and enjoyed them...they are probably the way things really were at that time too! Get real!
(less)
The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughThe House of the Spirits by Isabel AllendeThe Godfather by Mario PuzoOne Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García MárquezThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Family Saga
657 books — 793 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingEragon by Christopher PaoliniEldest by Christopher Paolini
My Favourite Books
215 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Jan 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Whew.
My best friend gave me the set of these books for Christmas (and she's a preacher's wife!), knowing that I love Philippa Gregory.
These are not typical Philippa Gregory books.
The first book, Wildacre, is about Beatrice Lacey and her love for her home Wildacre and its land. She will do anything, and I mean anything, for it. She is rotten bad.
The second book, The Favored Child, is about her daughter Julia, who is afraid that she is like and/or becoming Beatrice, but she is missing the sadistic
SuZanne
Jan 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Wideacre is a vile, horrible novel. It is one of the worst pieces of trash I've ever read. With a disgusting, unredeemable main character who commits one selfish violent act after another from patricide, permanent disfigurement of her beloved, repeated incestuous acts, and malicious matricide, it's unimaginable to me how Gregory could write not one but two sequels to this saga. It's sad, really, to read such junk from Gregory because I thoroughly enjoyed both The Queen's Lover and The Queen's Fo ...more
Mary Pagones
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Before I read Wideacre, I noticed a number of reviewers compared the heroine Beatrice Lacey to Scarlett O’Hara, presumably because of Beatrice’s lack of introspection, ability to manipulate men through her sexuality, and her obsessive love of the land. However, in a one-on-one battle of wills, there is no contest. Beatrice would have Scarlett for breakfast, sleep with both Rhett and Ashley, and find a way for her heirs to inherit Tara…all before her morning chocolate.

The other similarity with Go
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: historical fiction lovers not faint of heart
I had seen Philippa Gregory's novels everywhere once The Other Boelyn Girl became popular. I've always loved historical fiction, so her books looked interesting.

I also, however, like to read novels by a particular author in the order the were written. So I decided to start my Philippa Gregory experience with her first published novels - the Wideacre trilogy.

These novels are not for the faint of heart. There is some serious deciet, intrigue, debauchery here. Generally, whatever "moral" is - the c
Dayna Brown
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite trilogies of all time! It is written TOTALLY different than expected! The plot at first seems to be predictable but is anything but! There are so many unexpected moves in the plot that you never know what is coming. I had so much fun reading these because the story follows a path that can be very disturbing at times. With that being said, DO NOT READ many reviews because the plot crosses some lines for some people and they totally give the story away trying to warn you ...more
Deni
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually like Phillappa Gregory books, but this one just goes on and on. Its a story of a young woman that is obsessed with the property that has been passed down through many generations that she will do anything to be able to save for herself. The story could have been told completely in half of the pages it took to be told! I found myself skimming page after page long after the intended point was made. I will not be reading the last two books of the trilogy.
Jessica Jenkins
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was completely transfixed throughout the reading of this series. It is quite sprawling and winding and torrid. It isn't Phillipa's usual novels, but I enjoyed the departure. I'm aware many people didn't like it, found it to be a little too scandalous perhaps, but I enjoyed it.
Sharon
Mar 05, 2008 rated it liked it
gone with the wind meets flowers in the attic
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
This series left me with mixed feelings. As far as historical research and writing style goes, I can see why this author is such a hit. I really enjoyed the pacing of the stories, none got too repetitive (in things that happened around them, the characters they interacted with, etc) Their personalities, on the other hand, could get repetitive, especially Julia.

Beatrice's actions were justifiable at first. Life for women sucked in 18th century England... and most other places, actually. Just beca
Jo
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These are re-reads for me, and if you look through the reviews, you'll see they are for many people with a background understanding of British history. I wouldn't say it's required, but it certainly helps. These novels aren't fluffy--they're incredibly realistic and reference significant, gut-wrenching historical events. If you're thinking about picking these up because, "O-M-G, I, like, TOTALLY loved that movie with Natalie Portman!" then I suggest you skip these.
Patty
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read all 3....liked them all except towards the end of the last on...Meridon....it got a little contrived I think ....I think she was in a hurry to end it....but worth the read if you like historical fiction and Philippa Gregory. They were fiction you must remember! But IMO things were probably like that back then.
Cheryl Edwards
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating read (historical fiction) about a complete sociopath.
Annette Young
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read the first book of the trilogy - Wideacre many years ago when it reached best-seller status. I was gripped from the very first page and became a huge fan of Phillipa Gregory's thereafter.

The opening page had me hooked. It became apparent that Wideacre was everything, it was the bond that united the family and the pinnacle of desire for a young Beatrice who loved the house and the land like no other, and yet, for her sins of being born a girl, would not be able to claim it as her own. As a
El
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, audiobook
I don't normally read historical novels but thought I'd give this a try. It's the middle one of the trilogy but that didn't affect the plot, in fact, it probably helped that I didn't already know a big reveal towards the end. The book started well with an interesting and engaging heroine but after a while she became a different person, boring, spineless and totally unconvincing. I was constantly silently shouting at her, "For God's sake! Stand up for yourself!" and wishing I could find out how m ...more
Liz Ohlhausen
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Cathie
Mar 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I bought this trilogy when it was on sale at Borders because Philippa Gregory is so popular and I wanted to try some of her books. What a mistake!!! I did manage to finish the first volume but only skimmed through the other two. Full of nasty, mean, or insipid characters and too ridiculous a plot. Half Price Books only offered me $2 for the set when I tried to sell it, so no one else seems to want it, either! I want my time and money back!!! I don't often hate books, so this is unusual.

I should
ReJ
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great read! Includes historical accuracy in RE the place of women in society, the denial of their rights as human being&, and even the power over their own bodies that was the norm for hundreds of years, and fundamentally affects women's views of themselves and thsir life potentials, even up to the preset day in most of the world. Also embraces their prescient abilities & the pressure & necessity to hide them due to fear of persecution.
Cynthia
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A nice surprise from Philippa Gregory. As usual, her research is impeccable and her characters are excellently portrayed. This is the first series of her's that I have read and I have to admit that I was sceptical but I ended up enjoying the series. I was a little dissappointed in the third novel as it was slow in places but to say more would be to ruin the story for others. All in all, another Philippa Gregory success!
Kirsty
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read these books out of order beginning with meridon. I loved the final book found the story gripping and couldn't put it down. I wasn't as keen on the first books finding them quite dry and at points very difficult to read through as the story is quite dark at times. However, meridon remains one of my favourite books by Phillippa Gregory
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked up the book after my teenage sister recommended it. Phillipa Gregory is a great writer. I gave it a 3 star because i found it a little dry of a read at times...a little to much detail on some parts lost my interest to keep going at the moment. All in all a great trilogy in my book collection!
Florence Primrose
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
A quick trio of books set in Tudor England of three generations of women who came from well-to-do families who cared for the land but had no rights to inherit since only males can inherit.

There are similarities to Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind because the first woman will do ANYTHING to forward her goals.

This is not high class literature, but a fun relaxing read.
Anne Jones
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved these books. Same author as The Other Boleyn Girl. It takes place in the old days when women couldn't own land. The son is sent off to school and the daughter learns to work the land with her dad and falls in love with it. Her brother could care less about the land but he still inherits it. She does whatever she can, literally, to stay master of the land.
Ashleigh Foreman
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
amazing. a book full of childish dreams, admiration, betrayal, love, hate, incest, and romanticised ideas of control. such passion and you are kept completely onside with the character Beatrice Lacey and cannot help but empathise with here, even while you're pulling your hair out as she acts so wrongly. Great story, beautifully written, a true piece or artistic literature. read it!
Ele
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Honestly, an odd concept for a trilogy. I loved to hate the first heroine, hated the second, and loved the third. The first book has such a strong female lead. She does what she wants, when she wants, and doesn't let anyone get in her way. The second is more feeble and can't seem to speak for herself. The third starts out shy, but in the end she finds who she really is.
Mr.
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Basically what a powerful, unstoppable woman can achieve when frustrated by the limitations of men, but totally in the wrong sense, and how the actions of one woman take effect over two generations. Wonderful series...one which you grow through. The incestuous relationship, her obsession with he-who-holds-the-land was extremely complicated yet also befittingly portrayed.
Shannon
Dec 17, 2007 rated it liked it
The first two are unnecessarily dark and violent, but the third one is suspenseful and hard to put down. Gregoy includes interesting storylines, like learning how to be a trapeze artist and learning how to cheat at cards.
Empath Warrior
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was the first series I read by Philippa Gregory and I became an instant fan. She writes wonderfully in this series, bringing the scenes to life. This is one of my favorite series and I absolutely recommend it.
Michelle
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
a delicious escape and gives you a feeling of being right there in the moment...getting to know the families and it's soap opera like qualities! I will definately "re-read" coming this fall! :)

Terrific author too :)
Shauna
Dec 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
I read this trilogy out of order, starting with the end, which I never do, but it turns out I should have started and ended with Meridon because Wideacre and The Favoured Child were both pretty terrible. Not anywhere near as good and Philippa Gregory's other books!
Miranda Moore
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this series! I found beatrice,Julia and Sarah(Meridon) to all be different but so much the same when it came to the land. I really enjoyed reading these books and it was hard to put them down!
  • The Queen's Captive (Thornleigh, #3)
  • A Royal Likeness
  • The Winthrop Woman
  • The Irish Princess
  • The Shadow of the Pomegranate (Tudor Saga, #3)
  • The Nine Day Queen
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • The King's Daughter
  • Tulku
  • Grandville Noël (Grandville, #4)
  • Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning
  • Abdication
  • The Agatha Raisin Companion
  • The de Lacy Inheritance
  • Cupid and Diana: A Novel
  • Song of Survival: Women Interned
  • Conference At Cold Comfort Farm
  • Mary & Elizabeth
Philippa Gregory was an established historian and writer when she discovered her interest in the Tudor period and wrote the novel The Other Boleyn Girl, which was made into a TV drama and a major film. Published in 2009, the bestselling The White Queen, the story of Elizabeth Woodville, ushered in a new series involving The Cousins’ War (now known as The War of the Roses) and a new era for the acc ...more

Wideacre (3 books)
  • Wideacre  (The Wideacre Trilogy, #1)
  • The Favored Child (The Wideacre Trilogy, #2)
  • Meridon (The Wideacre Trilogy, #3)