Beyond Reality discussion

James S.A. Corey
This topic is about James S.A. Corey
The Expanse Series > Expanse series: series overview and discussion schedule!

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1436 comments Hi all! Welcome to the group series read of James S.A. Corey's Expanse series. We'll be devoting a month and a half to each installment, since they are so long. Here is the schedule:

Leviathan Wakes: July 1
Caliban's War: Aug. 15
Abaddon's Gate: Oct. 1
Cibola Burn: Nov. 15
Nemesis Games: Jan. 1
Babylon's Ashes: Feb. 15
Persepolis Rising (expected to be published 12/2017): April 1

Apparently there are two more books planned in the series, so it's not quite complete. There are also several prequel short stories/novellas that maybe we can go back and read together when we finish book 7, if the group is interested.

Enjoy!

message 2: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 2211 comments Yay! Glad I decided to join in!

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (Pezski) | 167 comments Nice. I did enjoy Leviathan Wakes but then stalled (just so many books to read, I guess) so will use this to kick start me back into the series.

Hope everyone enjoys it!

message 4: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 251 comments Oye tumang! This is one of the best series I read in the last five years, it is fast-paced, has great characters and awesome power plays.

Visually the show has done a wonderful job as well so if you need visuals go watch the show.

Apparently my reading schedule for October is already pretty packed, but I'll make sure to join the threads for Abaddon's Gate and Cibola Burn.

message 5: by Sumant (new)

Sumant | 198 comments Awesome, going to join this read.

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Matthews (StefMatthews) | 1 comments I've only read the first one (slacker) but I think I may well join in with the re-read. Although my to-read pile (physical, not on here) needs planning permission at the rate I'm going...

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen | 1074 comments I'm packed for july and August but I'm giving these priority.

message 8: by Gary (new)

Gary Gillen | 20 comments I've read the first three, trying not to get too far ahead of the TV show, but they are so good I can't wait. I'm planning on reading Cibola Burn in September and Nemesis Games in January.

message 9: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1436 comments From comments people are making about wanting to forge ahead early, I'm wondering if we should re-schedule the discussions to be monthly instead of six weeks? I'm a fast reader, so I'm content either way. What do you guys think? If we change, we'd still start the next one Aug. 15 but then just do the 15th of every month from then on. Shall I set up a poll?

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 427 comments I say hang in there with the current schedule. I have other things I'd like to read as well.

message 11: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 2211 comments I'm OK either way. Like Jim, I read other things in between and I've learned, finally, not to rush through a series. I pay better attention to each book if I'm not diving into the next one right away. But then I'm retired, so I have that flexibility. Others who are working may prefer the every 6 weeks schedule, especially as we get into fall, winter, & holidays.

message 12: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 593 comments I'm fine with monthly personally, but either is fine with me.

Planning on starting Caliban's War this weekend. :)

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen | 1074 comments I haven't started yet as I've been working and knew there were two more weeks...

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 427 comments Random wrote: "I'm fine with monthly personally, but either is fine with me.

Planning on starting Caliban's War this weekend. :)"

Yep. Just started it myself.

message 15: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1436 comments Ok, never mind, let's keep it as is! Those who want to read ahead are, of course, welcome, as long as you don't spoil anything for the rest of us!

I'll be out of town next week with limited computer access (I have the Goodreads app on my phone but it is not so user-friendly when it comes to discussion groups) but will be back in plenty of time to start the next discussion on 8/15!

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill Burris (wburris) | 75 comments I read Drive (The Expanse, #0.1), before finishing Leviathan Wakes, then read The Churn (Expanse, #0.2), The Butcher of Anderson Station (The Expanse, #0.5), and 2 other novels afterwards. I should be able to get another 2 novels finished before starting Caliban's War on schedule.

The 6 week schedule gives me plenty of time to fit in some other reading.

message 17: by Helen (new)

Helen | 1074 comments :O

message 18: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 593 comments Can I take back my previous answer?

Despite my valiant efforts to slow my reading down, I have finished Caliban's War one week prior to the start of discussion. Waiting 6+ weeks to start the next one might just kill me. :D

I could just forge a head on my own, but I like being able to speculate with others. Since my husband has already read everything available so far, it seems I'm stuck staying with the group. :)

message 19: by Sumant (new)

Sumant | 198 comments Started Calibans War today and will catch your discussion as my reading pace is much slower than you guys.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 427 comments Finished Abaddon's Gate this week. Waiting for Oct. 1st.

message 21: by Bill (new)

Bill Burris (wburris) | 75 comments I got the first 3 books for Christmas. Book 4 is scheduled to be read before Christmas arrives again.

message 22: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 2211 comments Reading time was scarce this past week and might be scarce for the next week as well. I need to finish the book I'm currently reading, and Abaddon's Gate is next!

message 23: by Bill (last edited Sep 22, 2017 09:43AM) (new)

Bill Burris (wburris) | 75 comments Reading Mentats of Dune is taking me longer than expected, so I will read Abaddon's Gate next, instead of fitting in another book first like I had planned.

message 24: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) I've also got Abaddon's Gate in the queue and should start it next week...that is, unless The Stone Sky comes in from the library first.

message 25: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 593 comments I'm really trying to hold off on starting for another week. I got too far a head for the last book IMO.

message 26: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1436 comments I started Abaddon's Gate yesterday - it's long but I think I'll be done quickly, I'm already absorbed!

message 27: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1436 comments I'm starting the Cibola Burn discussions a day early because I've got a busy day tomorrow and I don't want to forget!

message 28: by Helen (new)

Helen | 1074 comments :)

message 29: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1436 comments I'm going to post the Nemesis Games discussions early -- will be on the road traveling on Monday and don't want to let everyone down by posting late! :)

message 30: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 251 comments Tiamat's Wrath, the eight Expanse book, is coming out on December 4th. Let's read it together.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 427 comments Cover art already done as well: https://www.orbitbooks.net/2018/04/03...

message 32: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 1436 comments Silvana wrote: "Tiamat's Wrath, the eight Expanse book, is coming out on December 4th. Let's read it together."

Definitely!

message 34: by Jim (last edited May 12, 2018 04:39PM) (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 427 comments Some bad news and not sure of a good outcome in another venue:

http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expan...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/0...

I'm not overly optimistic, but hope there's a Longmire style outcome.

message 35: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 2211 comments Sad to see that this season of the TV series may be the last (well, IS the last on SyFy). But glad to see that the authors of the books will finish The Expanse before heading off to their new world(s).

message 36: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 2211 comments Tiamat's Wrath is available for preorder at Amazon...

message 37: by The (new)

The Coat | 1 comments Just found this group , excited to read #8 with y’all in December !

message 38: by Nick, Moderator (last edited Jun 27, 2018 05:55AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 930 comments Mod
The wrote: "Just found this group , excited to read #8 with y’all in December !"

Thanks The!

I would message Shel about the possibility of jump-starting the group again when the next installment comes out.

For now we have moved on to a Robin Hobb Fantasy series which will take about a year and a half -- if I read correctly the results of the poll on how fast to read it.

We may have to work out some sort of double-duty for the continuation of the Expanse, if enough folks are interested.

message 39: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 251 comments Count me in for Tiamat's Wrath.

message 40: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 2211 comments I think from previous posts it seemed like people wanted to discuss the remaining books as they come out. I know I do!

message 41: by Kathi (new)

Kathi | 2211 comments The wrote: "Just found this group , excited to read #8 with y’all in December !"

Feel free to add comments to any of the prior books' discussions as well. And welcome!