Start by marking “Auberon (The Expanse, #8.5)” as Want to Read:
Auberon (The Expanse, #8.5)

Auberon

(The Expanse #8.5)

A novella set in the universe of James S. A. Corey’s NYT-bestselling Expanse series, Auberon explores a new and alien world and the age-old dangers that humanity has carried with it to the stars. Now a Prime Original series.

Auberon is one of the first and most important colony worlds in humanity’s reach, and the new conquering faction has come to claim it. Governor Rittena
Published November 12th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Auberon, please sign up.
Nirkatze I just finished reading Auberon, having read Tiamat's Wrath before Auberon came out. I think in the future I will read Auberon first, for there are a …moreI just finished reading Auberon, having read Tiamat's Wrath before Auberon came out. I think in the future I will read Auberon first, for there are a few mentions of people in Auberon who come directly from Persepolis Rising, and a few minor mentions in Tiamat's Wrath of characters introduced in Auberon. However, all of the shorts and novellas are standalone enough that it works either way.(less)

Start your review of Auberon (The Expanse, #8.5)
Trish
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This latest novella in the The Expanse universe offers a look at one of the human colonies that is now supposed to be brought to heel by the Laconian Empire. Remember, Duarte has executed his plan brilliantly and therefore basically rules humanity. This means he also controls the ring gate(s) and the colony worlds.
Auberon is one such colony planet and Governor Rittenaur is sent there to bring law and order to the world. Moreover, his wife is there to ensure certain research can progress, thus ad
Bradley
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-shelf, sci-fi
I REALLY love the subtext in this novella.

It's not only a novel about the straight-laced Laconian government taking over a thoroughly integrated quasi-mob-based world of Auberon and the clash that arises.

It's also a fantastic commentary on America. With the rife corruption throughout all levels of government... not least with high cabinet members profiting on their positions by having billion-dollar deals in the very industry they should have been regulating... this novella lays out the problem
Silvana
I'm giving this novella the benefit of the doubt. Independently, it has more or less the same quality as some of the other Expanse novellas like The Butcher of Anderson Station.

Similar with Strange Dogs, we are given yet another insight to Laconian characters, one of which was briefly mentioned in Tiamat's Wrath. Naomi visited Auberon quite a while in that novel so we also got a considerable amount of information about this system.

The characters - a Laconian governor and his scientist wife - w
Lindsay
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
One of the interesting things about the later Expanse books is the moral foundations behind them. If the earlier books are a warning about amoral greed and what a lack of empathy in powerful individuals can cause, then the post-Laconia universe shows that the opposite is true as well. Laconia is a militaristic society based on law and honor, but it's also absolutist. We've already seen in the series how that fails with ordinary humans (Santiago Singh from Persepolis Rising). This one basically r ...more
Veronique
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, r2019, stars-4-0
Maybe not my favourite Expanse Novella but it had a certain weight. Once more, we get to see Laconian’s experience and behaviours in the face of the rest of the ‘verse, and it surprised me. Kingpin Erich is not what you expect, and nor is Governor Rittenaur. Their confrontation very much felt like a game of chess, which was fascinating. Veronica and Mona ended up being pawns, or better still, the Queen and the Bishop. I do wonder if these players will feature in the last novel... It would be int ...more
Kevin Kelsey
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
These Expanse novellas just keep getting better and better.
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[3.5/5 stars] A full review for a novella?! Only when it's from James S.A. Corey. These novellas usually focus on periphery characters, and I love how in-depth and meaningful the authors make them. The stories are always about the human connection and digging into what motivates us. Auberon took a few pages to warm up, but quickly built momentum. I was totally enthralled by the end. There's one scene in particular that about had me out of my seat in shock. And that ending! O_O

Auberon dives into
Gerhard
Mmm. An oddity, not to mention a disappointment, coming straight off Tiamat's Wrath. Perhaps novellas like these would be more cohesive in a collection, giving insight into some of the quirkier corners of the Expanse, etc.
Jim C
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a short story that is part of a series. This is not a starting point as this takes place well into the series. In this one, we explore how Laconia's rule is affecting one of the new planets that humans have access to because of the ring.

Not much of a surprise here. Once again this series offers another quality offering and once again I am giving at least a four star rating to it. Seriously. How do these authors keep writing quality stories in this universe? This short story is not the mo
M.
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf, male-lead
Auberon audio excerpt
3m 47s — posted by the publisher:

---
The release date has been moved. It's NOVEMBER 12th now. :)

---
Wonderful news. So far James S.A Corey Expanse novellas haven't disappointed me.
Oh, Erich!
---
Auberon is a planet accessible through the ring gates that has a lush biome that grows native and Terran crops. The planet has 12 cities, each being in the million but also has many towns, farms, and more scattered around the planet.

Reput
William
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

An interesting side book for The Expanse series, mostly concerned with Laconia, Duarte and the human limits of any empire.

A fun read, but not nearly as revealing as most of the side books to date.

As usual with my reviews, please first read the publisher’s blurb/summary of the book. Thank you.

Full size image here

Only one quote --

Klinger knew nothing about him but what she'd been told by Laconia. She would have been just as solicitous to anyone who had come in his position. And if s
Jamie
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Ideological purity never survives contact with the enemy"

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I really think this should be considered #7.5 in the series rather than #8.5, based on the events as they unfold in the novels. Anyway, this is a brilliant story illustrating the immense difficulties encountered by the ideologically motivated and highly disciplined Laconian imperial forces as they take control of a vast number of colony worlds where varying degrees of corruption and informality have taken hold. The
Julie
He let his hand drop to the sofa, near his holster but motionless. It was dangerous to move forward, but he wasn't going to give up ground either. He imagined pulling the gun and firing. How quickly could he do that? How long could it take? The rest of his life, maybe.

4.5 stars very nearly rounded up, because this was just way up my alley, this exploration of Laconian culture and society slamming into another civilisation and struggling to adjust. It's the tale of these implacable Laconian conqu
Shaun Hutchinson
I quite enjoyed this novella. Nothing new or groundbreaking, but I could read little stories about the Laconians and the colony worlds all day long.
vonblubba
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
“It’s the basic problem with religion, be it Jesus or Vishnu or God Emperors. Ideological purity never survives contact with the enemy.”

It's nice to take a look at what happens in places where the main novels haven't taken us. Here we've got yet another laconian governor trying not to be overwhelmed by the daunting task of ruling a conquered planet. He'll have to give up his silly ideological superiority and compromise with the local crimelord.
A great read as always when it comes to the Expanse
Stephen Richter
It is nice when your favorite authors throw a little bone out to you, the loyal readers.
Oleksandr Zholud
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a novella set in the Expanse series. Like other novellas of the series it tells a sidestory and has none of the main characters. I read is as a part of the Expanse buddy read in August 2020 at Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels group.

So, the humanity has new rulers. As depicted in detail in Persepolis Rising, now Laconia, which is largely based on the Greek territory with the same name, more known as Sparta, controls all systems and transportation between them.

One of the more successful p
Efka
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Things we've learned from this book:

• No one is uncorruptable;
• Auberon really stinks;

That's about it. Still, it was a decent read and I'm happy as always to make at least a glance into the universe of "The Expanse".
Ashley
As with all of these Expanse novellas, I had a bit of a hard time getting into it (new characters, new setting, very discombobulating), but it had me by the end.

Auberon was published after the eighth book, but it takes place right after book seven, when Duarte's empire is just getting started. The Laconians have installed a brand new Governor on Auberon, one of the many colonized worlds of the gate system that will be instrumental in feeding the empire, and he's our main POV here. But Auberon w
Ian
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new novella from the Expanse Universe. The story is set before Tiamat's Wrath (the most recent full length novel) as the Laconian Empire sets about consolidating it's power over the rest of humanities settlements, and follows a newly appointed Governor to Auberon, an important colony world.
This is one of the best Expanse novellas I have read. It isn't particularly like the main set of novels but is a lovely character study of colonialism and conquerors, and how the conqueror is as changed by t
Stefano G.
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***4.5/5 Stars***
An intriguing and mysterious story, full of brilliant plot twists and unexpected deaths… Felt like a mafia story, really liked how strongly the sense of fear comes out, I definitely felt it! Really enjoyable read! And Erich is a real mastermind! 😊

Can't wait for the last book in this great series!!! :)
Rusty
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hmmmm.... true confession. I stared at the book cover on Goodreads for a long time trying to remember what this was about.

I failed. I ended up reading the synopsis. Then the bells started ringing. I remember now. I also remember that I liked it. Nowhere near as much as the previous novella I read, which was super-awesome. This one was merely really good.

Part of the difference is that the last one I read, Strange Dogs, was more up my alley. It had kids in peril. Check. It had a big ‘ol mystery.
Lata
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really like how the authors use these novellas to visit people peripheral to the action in the novels, and show the impact of the main characters' actions.
The planet here is one recently taken over by Laconia, and a new governor and his wife have arrived, and have to figure out what situations need their intervention or correction.
I like the authors’ commentary on systems that require rigid adherence, and how these tend to fare when butting up against human behaviour.
Jim
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A peek into Laconian society by way of their takeover and occupation of one colony. Like other novellas, a decent read but missing the excitement and "can't put it down" excellence of the novels. Still, I'm a sucker for all things 'Expanse,' and it made for a nice transition into Book 8.
Jessica
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the best novellas. It's nice to see how the other worlds are looking and great to catch up with an old friend of Amos. Some very choice lines in there.
Bick
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy the Expanse universe, and this novella is no exception. It sets an interesting conundrum in the current timeline, and it is well solved.
Igor Veloso
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s the basic problem with religion, be it Jesus or Vishnu or God Emperors. Ideological purity never survives contact with the enemy. – the old man

Auberon is a story about a good man. It may be hard to believe Laconia has those, specially when we’re talking of an inter-solar totalitarian empire, but when you find them it feels good. This story felt good. Felt right.

The way a short story manages to pack so much is a testament to the writers’ skill. At the beginning I wasn’t exactly feeling this
Christian Leonard Quale
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Auberon, another one of the Expanse novellas, is among the good ones, but not the best.

I appreciate these novellas, but the ones like Auberon tend to leave me wanting more. I appreciate that teasing the main series is probably the point of them, but some of them, like this one, doesn’t add anything to the overall story that couldn’t have been (and isn’t already done) in the main books. I prefer it when these novellas give us more information about the background of the characters in the books, o
Eli Bishop
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-sff
The Expanse novellas and short stories are all over the place in terms of subgenre, degree of involvement of the familiar characters, and degree to which it really matters whether this is happening in the Expanse universe or somewhere else. Sometimes the authors are mostly answering questions that a fan might have, filling in the blanks in the backstory; other times it seems like they had an idea for a character or a premise first, and found a way to adapt that to the series; and in the best one ...more
Timothy Neesam
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Auberon is an Expanse novella set around time of Persepolis Rising and Tiamat's Wrath.

Governor Biyar Rittenaur is on his first off-planet post, charged with overseeing the colony Auberon for the Laconian Empire, enforcing Laconian rules on a planet riddled with corruption, and delivering justice with public executions.

Rittenaur is determined to bring law and order to the colony, but is soon offered a bribe by an off-the grid crime lord named Erich, who runs his own operation with an iron first

• The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Bone Silence (Revenger, #3)
  • Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2)
  • Archangel One (Archangel One, #1)
  • How Rory Thorne Destroyed the Multiverse (The Thorne Chronicles, #1)
  • The Expanse Roleplaying Game
  • The Outside (The Outside, #1)
  • The Origin of the Flow (The Interdependency, #0.5)
  • The Dreaming Tree
  • Street Cultivation
  • Fuck, Now There Are Two of You (Go the Fuck to Sleep #3)
  • Web of Extinction (Zone War, #3)
  • The Menace from Farside (Luna, #3.5)
  • Heaven's River (Bobiverse #4)
  • Minor Mage
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7)
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
  • Leviathan Falls (The Expanse, #9)