Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Reading Challenge 2017 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > Austenesque Audiobook Awesomeness

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (last edited Jul 02, 2017 08:23AM) (new)

Sophia (SophiaRose) | 911 comments Mod
Audiobooks are nothing new even to our tight niche of Austen novels, Austenesque, and JAFF. It's merely a new format for experiencing these books and give beleaguered commutes, road trips, chores, and walks a chance to be a book moment, right?

The thing is many of us are still on the hunt to establish favorite narrators and even to find what books are now on audio. So after an 'aha' conversation with Kasia during the June Is Audiobook Month (#JIAM) events, We thought it would be a great idea to have a place here in our group to discuss great audiobooks and narrators for Austenesque Lovers.

Feel free to announce new JAFF/Austenesque audiobook releases, favorite narrators or books on audio or audiobook giveaways here under the topic.

message 2: by Sophia (new)

I'll get the ball rolling.

Stevie Zimmerman and Juliet Stevenson have been the two narrators I have really enjoyed most.

Here's the entire list of Austen and JAFF I've listened to/listening to on audio:
The Falmouth Connection
To Have His Cake (and Eat It Too): Mr. Darcy's TalePersuasion
Northanger Abbey
Jane and Austen
To Refuse Such a Man: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Hope and Sensibility
Pride and Prejudice
Rumours & Recklessness: A Pride and Prejudice
Variation

Here are the ones on my pile that I will be listening to, soon:
Lady Susan
Emma
Sense and Sensibility
Mr Bennet's Dutiful Daughter

And just a tip, for those who have Amazon and Audible accounts and apps, I take great advantage of the deals on Amazon that can sometimes be had by 'purchasing' the free or lower cost ebooks and adding the audiobook rather than going straight to Audible for my purchase. The audio is sometimes just a few dollars or at least 50% the cost. Books are also many times on sale at Tantor audio, too.

I would love to know more of what is out there on audio and if you know if it is available through the library Overdrive programs, too. So fire away with those recommendations. :)

message 3: by Kasia (last edited Jul 02, 2017 08:44PM) (new)

Kasia Burlakoff | 53 comments Hi Sophia, I often purchase both, an e-book and an audiobook as well. I like getting both for the same price.

I fell in love with audiobooks a few months ago. it gives me more book time, and it's fun to listen to a good narration.

Of course I love Stevie Zimmerman. She gives each character a distinctive way of speaking, which goes along with their personalities. I enjoyed her French and Spanish accents in The Unthinkable Triangle by Joana Starnes last week. And of course her narrations of J Dawn King's books.

Nancy Peterson was great in book 1-2 of Meryton Mysteries by Jennifer Joy. Looking forward to The Inseparable Mr. and Mrs. Darcy in audiobook, which will come out in August.

I love Pearl Hewitt, especially in her P.O Dixon's books and Abigail Reynold's.

I think Rebecca Courtney's narration of The Phantom of Pemberley was excellent. I loved her Scottish accent, and how different personalities were portrayed.

In Mr. Darcy Came to Dinner Michaela James' voice was perfect to convey the comic aspect of this book. The biggest surprise was a guy actually singing the drunken sailor's song for Darcy. I laughed hard.

Tiffany Halla Colonna was great in Pirates and Prejudice by Kara Louise. She got gentleman and common folks speech perfectly.

More to come from me later. ;)

message 4: by Sophia (new)

Kasia wrote: "Hi Sophia, I often purchase both, an e-book and an audiobook as well. I like getting both for the same price.

I fell in love with audiobooks a few months ago. it gives me more book time, and it's ..."

Oh yes, this is exactly what I need to see, Kasia. I just don't know all that's out there yet. Thanks for sharing the book and narrators. :)

message 5: by Anji (new)

Anji | 275 comments I've been listening to audiobooks for years, long before I discovered the wonderful world of JAFF. Nowadays, my JAFF audio library far outnumbers the rest! Pamela Aidan's trilogy Fitzwilliam Darcy: Gentleman was my very first JAFF listen.

Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange is also available on audio, but sadly is the only one of her Diary series available in this format, in the UK at least. Don't know about elsewhere.

I enjoyed listening to both of Juliet Archer's books The Importance of Being Emma and Persuade Me - modern retellings. I think you can guess which books!

When it comes to narrators, Elizabeth Klett is another excellent one. She's read a couple of Maria Grace's, quite a few of Abigail Reynolds' (including her latest, Conceit and Concealment) as well as some of Jane Austen's own.

Another one is Pearl Hewitt, who reads all of P. O. Dixon's books and has read some of Abigail's, too.

When I have time, I'll delve into my library and see what other recommendations I can come up with.

Oh, and The Falmouth Connection was amazing! One word of warning though. Don't listen to "the garden scene" when you're driving. Melting into a puddle of goo whilst in control of a vehicle can be rather distracting!

I'm currently listening to Juliet Stevenson's rendering of Emma alongside reading David Shapard's annotated version of it. Fascinating experience!

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Anji wrote: "I've been listening to audiobooks for years, long before I discovered the wonderful world of JAFF. Nowadays, my JAFF audio library far outnumbers the rest! Pamela Aidan's trilogy Fit..."

Love seeing your list, Anji. Elizabeth Klett, I'll definitely have to try her stuff. I need to catch up on Maria Grace's books.

Haha! I was flying while listening to the garden scene so I was perfectly safe as were others. :)

message 7: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Burlakoff | 53 comments Great list Anji. Unfortunately Mr. Darcy's Diary isn't available in US.
I love Elizabeth Klett and Pearl Hewitt as well. Another one of my favorite narrators is Nancy Peterson. I'm just listening to her narration of Linda Thompson Laughter of Love. She is great.

message 8: by Anji (last edited Jul 15, 2017 03:31PM) (new)

Anji | 275 comments Nancy Petersen has also narrated Pride and Persistence by Jeanna Ellsworth, which I loved as a book and then again on audio. She's also done The Honorable Mr. Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation and The Indomitable Miss Elizabeth: A Pride & Prejudice Variation by Jennifer Joy, both were wonderful reads but I've not yet listened to them.

message 9: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Burlakoff | 53 comments Jennifer will have The Inseparable Mr and Mrs Darcy in audiobook in August. I've listened to books 1-2, but when book 3 is out, I'm planning to have a marathon of listening to all 3 of them. 😎 I'm trying to catch up with my audiobooks library to my kindle library, but it will take a long time. 😱

message 10: by Anji (new)

Anji | 275 comments Kasia wrote: "Jennifer will have The Inseparable Mr and Mrs Darcy in audiobook in August. I've listened to books 1-2, but when book 3 is out, I'm planning to have a marathon of listening to all 3 of them..."

Sounds like a plan!

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Majczan (SheilaLMajczan) | 1301 comments I just recently listened to Joana Starnes' The Falmouth Connection on Audio and loved it. It is my third time through that story and also have her Mr Bennet Dutiful Daughter on audio and will soon download The Unthinkable Triangle. Stevie's voice is so lovely.

message 12: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Burlakoff | 53 comments Stevie is one of the best. I'm looking forward to the next Joana's audiobook .

message 13: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Burlakoff | 53 comments Sophia, I strongly recommend 'Darcy, Lizzy and Lady Susan" by Barbara Silkstone. Jannie Meisberger was amazing. Each character came alive.

I enjoyed The Houseguest by Elizabeth Adams, but I was not fully satisfied with the narrator. She exaggerated some characters' speech.

I loved all 3 books of Linda Thompson Laughter series. The narrator was very good, sweet or dramatic in appropriate moments.

message 14: by Sophia (new)

Misty @ The Book Rat blog for her Austen in August event had a post up about several Austenesque Audiobooks she had on her list so thought I'd share that for the audio lovers.

http://www.thebookrat.com/2017/08/my-...

message 15: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Burlakoff | 53 comments Thanks Sophia. 😀

message 16: by Anji (last edited Dec 22, 2017 02:31PM) (new)

Anji | 275 comments Haven't seen it mentioned around here yet, so thought I'd mention that the amazing anthology The Darcy Monologues edited by Christina Boyd, featuring 15 Darcy POV stories by many of our fabourite JAFF authors, is now available as an audiobook from Audible. I've checked out the sample on their website and the narrator sounds absolutely wonderful. Looking forward to listening to this one a whole lot!

message 17: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Burlakoff | 53 comments I bought it yesterday and I've listen to 4 stories so far. I really love the narrator too.

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina (Xtnaboyd) | 3 comments Anji wrote: "Haven't seen it mentioned around here yet, so thought I'd mention that the amazing anthology The Darcy Monologues edited by Christina Boyd, featuring 15 Darcy POV s..."

Thank you for the shout out for the audiobooks! We are really proud of the projects and both our narrators, I think, were perfect! So much range. Am thrilled you enjoyed it.

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina (Xtnaboyd) | 3 comments Kasia wrote: "I bought it yesterday and I've listen to 4 stories so far. I really love the narrator too."

Thank you, Kasia! I appreciate you saying as much and for your review. So awesome.

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina (Xtnaboyd) | 3 comments Sheila wrote: "I just recently listened to Joana Starnes' The Falmouth Connection on Audio and loved it. It is my third time through that story and also have her Mr Bennet Dutiful Daughter on audio and will soon ..."

I have all Joana’s books and in every medium. The audiobooks are sublime!

message 21: by Barb (new)

Barb (barblibrarian1) | 77 comments I have recently started listening to audio books while crafting. Thanks for the updates. I have not listened to the Falmouth Connection as I read the book, but I really enjoyed it, so maybe it is time to listen to it. As a librarian, I have always known that reading a book and listening to it are two really different experiences. You actually use different parts of the brain! So, this is a fun new experience for me.