Start by marking “The Honorable Mr. Darcy (Meryton Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
The Honorable Mr. Darcy (Meryton Mystery #1)

The Honorable Mr. Darcy

(Meryton Mystery #1)

Everyone has a secret. Who will kill to keep theirs?

Lieutenant George Wickham is dead.

The shot rings out in Wickham's tent as the good citizens of Meryton dance the night away at Mr. Bingley's Netherfield ball. The only person who can confirm Fitzwilliam Darcy's alibi faces the loss of her reputation and her freedom if she comes forward.

Convinced that her sole motive i
Published October 13th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Honorable Mr. Darcy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Honorable Mr. Darcy

Sheila Majczan
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just having finished reading this intriguing murder mystery/love story I had to jump to GR and post a review. I may not get it all said in one sitting but want my friends and fellow readers to know that this is a book well worth picking up.

There are lots of secrets in Meryton and Wickham is attempting to benefit from not telling all that he knows...as long as he can gain some benefit from it and we all know whose pockets he has had his hands in over and over again. But in a confrontation with hi
J. W. Garrett
The villain is dead, but then, what villain killed him?

It was public knowledge that there was bad blood between Mr. Darcy and Lt. Wickham. When Lt. Wickham was murdered, the prime suspect could be none other than Fitzwilliam Darcy, that haughty man from Derbyshire. The crime occurred at exactly midnight and all Mr. Darcy had to do was tell where he was at midnight. And yet he refused. There was a very good reason for him to not reveal where he was, for you see… he was not alone.

This was a fast-
Mary
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Dear Reader,

A murder mystery enveloped in Pride and Prejudice is what will delight and intrigue you if you venture forth on the path to read this delightful tale!

A man lies dead in his tent,shot through the heart by a gun he unwittingly supplied for such a deed.

Meryton society,recently aquatinted with the animosity that exists between the deceased and our dear Mr Darcy point the finger at said gentleman and label him a cold hearted murderer!! I kid you not!

Could our beloved Mr Darcy actually b
Debbie Brown
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great Pride and Prejudice mystery, although I think it takes a wrong turn at the point where the true murderer is revealed to the reader. Despite that, we have a great cast of suspects and various secrets (most having nothing to do with the murder) that gradually emerge throughout the pages of this book.

Mr. Wickham turns up dead the day after Mr. Darcy was seen leaving his tent looking agitated. This makes Mr. Darcy the prime suspect, especially since he won't reveal his exact whereabouts at the
Carole (in Canada)
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: JAFF, Mystery
Shelves: jaff-mystery
Mr. Wickham is dead the night of the Netherfield Ball and Mr. Darcy is the main suspect as he was last seen storming out of Wickham's tent that day! Not only that, he refuses to explain why no one can vouch for his exact presence at midnight even though he says he never left Netherfiled...except for Elizabeth Bennet.

I love a good mystery and with Wickham being the victim, there certainly were more than enough suspects! Several new characters have been introduced which just added to the mystery.
Eliza Baum
Reread 12/17/17

Listened to the audiobook this time around, and it was pretty good. Not my favorite narrator, but certainly not bad.

Original read 1/1/17

I've read several of this sort of story now, where one of our favorite characters is accused of a crime while the other strives to prove it wrong, and I've decided I like it almost as much as forced marriages and injuries. Nothing like life-threatening danger to make Elizabeth come around a little faster! I liked that Elizabeth started to think a
Leslie
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austenesque, ku, mystery
Poor Mr. Darcy. He is again a murder suspect and the victim is none other than his permanent nemesis -Wickham. On the night of the Netherfield Ball Mr. Wickham fails to appear and is later found dead in his tent. Seemingly everyone is a suspect but Mr. Darcy is singled out by the locals due to a semi public row with the victim the day of the murder. The local Constable seems to think that Darcy is the kind of man who doesn't think laws apply to him. Darcy has an alibi but it will result in the e ...more
Teresita
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a marvelous job!

I only wish I could have read this story in one sitting instead of over so many lunch breaks and too short rests.

I loved the way the usual characters were depicted and the new ones are very interesting.

The end was a complete surprise!

A thoroughly enjoyable mystery!
wosedwew
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
What broke in a man when he could bring himself to kill another?  ~Alan Paton

And we find something broken in the last man we suspected!

In the 1st chapters, I thought I wouldn't like this story since I had recently read "Did Darcy Do It?" and the basic premise here is the same.

But the plot develops in another direction and really didn't remind me so much of the other story. (I would recommend both)

I found some of this mystery too easy but the real murderer came out of nowhere -- didn't suspect th
Don Jacobson
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good Misdirection

A murder mystery of manners...Ms Joy does lead us down a merry path, although I would have preferred some stronger character development earlier. Could we not know more of Stallard's motivations earlier? The resolution in the last few pages left a rushed feeling. Rating is 3.5 stars.
Nisi
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Did not see that coming!

More often than not I can see what will happen in a story well before it does happen. How happy was I to read a story that lacked the predictability so often found in fanfiction stories. Loved that there was more than one twist in this story! Can't wait to read more of this series.
Talia
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice little murder mystery with little angst.
Charlene
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
loved this story. Wickham has been murdered and the last time Darcy was with him they had an argument and everyone knows. How will he prove he's innocent. The journey for Elizabeth and Darcy was awesome very diverting with a few surprises in the end. Well done
Denise O'Hara
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this who dunit very much!

Enjoyable story. I figured out a key point fairly early in the story, but the others took me completely by surprise. Good mystery.
pamela k cronister
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well done

Strong character development, good plot with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. I hope to see more of her work.
Anna
Aug 10, 2017 added it
Shelves: austenesque
The Honorable Mr. Darcy (A Meryton Mystery Book 1) was my first time reading a Pride and Prejudice variation by Jennifer Joy, and I was delighted from start to finish. When Mr. Wickham is found dead in his tent during the Netherfield Ball, the inhabitants of Meryton are quick to point fingers at Mr. Darcy. They have a poor opinion of him since he insulted Elizabeth Bennet at the Meryton Assembly, and he was seen leaving Wickham’s tent in anger. Elizabeth isn’t Darcy’s biggest supporter, but she ...more
Madenna U
Being a historical romance "junkie", I was not sure that a mystery would appeal to me. However, I enjoyed this version of Elizabeth and Darcy's development. I did not get anywhere close to guessing the proper villain, although I did get some things right.

I must say if this was not already identified as a series, I would have complained about some of the plot lines. I am hoping that they are set ups for future story lines.
Susan
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
The militia are in Meryton and this includes Wickham, while the Bingleys and Darcy are at Netherfield. But when Wickham is murdered Darcy becomes the main suspect. Who can clear his name and who is the guilty party. Most of the characters from Meryton are here plus a few new characters.
An enjoyable mystery which thankfully I didn't guess, and so I look forward to the next.
Becky
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
P&P mystery

A great P&P who done it with a unique twist in our favorite couple getting to know each other and a little about themselves. Surprising twists and turns that keep you guessing. Looking forward to more to come!
Carole Rae
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A P&P variation and a murder mystery all in one? How could I possibly resist this???? Also! It was a freebie, sooooo yeah…no choice.

The story starts pretty standardly, but then things get all crazy when Darcy and Lizzy end up in a compromising position locked in a library together at a ball. Whoops. In order to not get discovered, Darcy jumps through the window and sneaks back into the ball and starts asking where Lizzy is. All at the same time as Darcy is shimming down the side of the buil
Cynthia
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book was a good story of misunderstandings leading to major issues. It was a heartwarming romance but I really didn’t see a lot of mystery. I have never read Pride & Prejudice and most likely never will it is just not something that interests me which I believe this story is based on or around. It has a good plot but it is drawn out a little too much for me and I found my mind wondering having to really think about what I just listened to as to make sure I got the full impact. I have rea ...more
Alex
May 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Dreadful on every level.
I confess that I read this as an audiobook, and the reader's faux upper-crust accent set my teeth on edge. With that aside, the book itself was also dreadful. The author relies on the original classic for her character development, so does nothing to support them beyond telling us what they are thinking in the most overt and clumsy terms. Not only does this break a basic rule of fiction writing, "Don't tell your reader how the character feels - show it," but the feelings
ShoSho
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very fun audiobook and the narrator did a great job with differciating between the voices.
I have read the original pride and prejudice countless time, I have watched all the different movies made from it. I have also read a few books that were loosely based on it but they have all been contemporary. This was my first time reading something like this book. It was exactly what the title says, a variation of the original story. It has the same cast of characters and the story starts from
Lisa  Montgomery
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
In reality, I would probably give this story 3.7 or there about. 4 is too high and 3 is too low. As the blurb indicates, Mr. Wickham is killed at the beginning of the book, and Darcy is accused. Darcy will accept the murder charge rather than permit others to learn of Wickham's seduction of Georgiana. The mystery is quite obvious, and I missed the "red herring" effect - the place where I thought I had figured it out, but I hadn't.
(Spoiler!!) I do not particularly like my P&P variations with
Patricia
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well done!

I received this book free from one of the book sites. I do not remember which one! This is my honest and voluntary review.

I truly enjoyed this book. My favorite characters from Pride and Prejudice were placed in the center of a murder mystery and I liked how much the twists and turns led me astray in picking out the real culprit! I never saw that one coming! Of course, Jane Austen could not have written a murder mystery. but I think that she would have liked this one. Recommended
Kristi
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good Mystery

I loved reading this mystery. It was definitely not at all what I was expecting. It is always fun to not know what will happen until the end. I was surprised to find that it is book one and there is more to the story, but I was also glad that it ended well without a cliffhanger or a need to read more. It makes me want to pick up the next book and see what more happens in the story.
Nishant
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, series
I love pride and prejudice as one of my favourite books. And many times I has wished after reading the Sherlock and pride and prejudice that I be born in that era.

I loved the book and especially the romance between Lizzy and Darcy.

I am a sucked for romance. Though I could see the killer from a mile, the psyche of the Characters were so good, that I will make sure to read the rest of the series.

And the one star less is because the story was predictable.
Meg
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great who-done-it! All wrapped up in Austen land. The cast of characters from P&P is all there with the addition of some new ones. There is a slightly different slant to some of the characters which adds to the interest. The mystery is well thought out and the growing relationship between Elizabeth and D'Arcy is nicely portrayed. The historical details are true to Austen,too. An excellent read and engaging story!
Virginia Tican
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Fun Thrill read with a nice twist. It is always exciting to try to solve a murder and added to that there are some unexpected and thrilling twists. This author is Brilliant! She cleverly lets the reader into some obvious clues, enough time for the reader to feel pleased for guessing correctly and then pulls the rug under the reader's feet~cleverly naughty, that. I never thought Romance & Mystery so effortlessly Fine and Heart~warming that it is Simply Beautiful. And they NEVER even kissed!
Maria Thomas
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clean, jaff, mystery, regency
I enjoy Jennifer Joy's writing so I liked this book. I don't read a lot of mysteries and even fewer JAFF mysteries but I enjoyed this one. I was surprised by who the bad guy was. Well there were kind of two bad guys. One surprised me. The other not so much although it took a while before I began to suspect.

No sex, language. Some mild violence
  • The Many Lives of Fitzwilliam Darcy
  • The Companion of His Future Life
  • Love Letters from Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Novella
  • A Lesson Hard Learned
  • A Remedy Against Sin: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
When Jennifer isn’t busy dreaming up new adventures for her favorite characters, she is reading, baking, or chasing her twins around the park.

She believes in happy endings, sweet romance, and plenty of intrigue. She writes what she most enjoys reading, so expect lighthearted stories with happy endings and a few laughs.

Born on the beautiful Oregon coast, she traveled all around the world until she

Meryton Mystery (4 books)
  • The Indomitable Miss Elizabeth (Meryton Mystery #2)
  • The Inseparable Mr. and Mrs. Darcy (Meryton Mystery #3)
  • The Immovable Mr. Tanner: A Pride & Prejudice Variation (Meryton Mystery, #4)
“You have a younger sister?" Darcy ventured. Such a look of pain crossed Mr. Tanner's features, Darcy regretted the question. "Aye," he said softly. "Then you understand what it is like. I remember when she was born. She was so small and defenseless, yet she latched onto my finger with the strength of a vise. I was a lad then, but I promised I would not let anyone or anything harm her.” 0 likes