Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

Miscellaneous Chatter > NetGalley hub

Comments Showing 1-50 of 826 (826 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

message 1: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Thought it may be helpful to have a thread specific to NetGalley, being as though there are a few of us on here that are members...

I am a newbie on there... I've only read and reviewed a couple of books through there. I keep forgetting about it, honestly. LOL!

message 2: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments I'm a member. I usually have a handful of books from them waiting for R&R.

I just started reading one of theirs: Select (Untitled #1) by Marit Wiesenberg

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1525 comments I'm a member but I've only requested one book and was denied. Haven't requested any since.

message 4: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Ok... total newb question...

What do you guys do when you don't like a book from NetGalley? And how long are your typical reviews? Help a sister out here...LOL!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments I give my honest opinion. I have had a few serious duds. And my reviews aren't always long, but I try to be thoughtful and helpful. I love my arcs, but generally feel a bit of pressure in HAVING to read them. But I can't seem to stop requesting them.

message 6: by Fabi (last edited Jun 05, 2017 06:45PM) (new)

Fabi | 872 comments Grey wrote: "Ok... total newb question...

What do you guys do when you don't like a book from NetGalley? And how long are your typical reviews? Help a sister out here...LOL!"

There is no minimum length for reviews. In fact there are no set rules for what you write in a review. They ask that you try to review within 3 months of downloading an ARC. That means sending the publisher feedback and posting the review at least on NetGalley. You don't have to write anything for the publisher feedback unless you want to. But you need to answer those two minimum questions and submit.

My own "personal" guidelines for reviewing NetGalley ARCs are:

1. Review within 3 months or before pub date - whichever comes first. The only exception when an ARC has already been published when I receive it, then within 3 months.

2. I always post my reviews on GR as well as NetGalley. I post to Amazon and B&N if the book is available for review on the retail sites. Sometimes I have to go back to the retail sites later if the book hasn't published yet. I also post the link to all of my reviews on NetGalley.

3. The hardest part is, of course, when you don't like a book. Although NetGalley has no restrictions, I go by the rule of thumb that if I can't rate a book 3 stars or above AND the book hasn't published yet, then I will wait until after pub date to post my review. I'm not out to hurt anyone's sales, but I am out to be honest. So, that's my compromise.

4. DNF's must be few and far between. I may have 1 or 2 in the almost hundred reviews I've done for them. I do force myself to read an ARC unlike I would a book I purchased. In the rare instance that I can't possibly finish a book, I do not rate, review, or otherwise make note of it other than in a couple of brief lines on NetGalley saying the book didn't work for me and I was unable to finish it. It's always good to remember that one person's dnf is another person's 5-star.

That's it for my "system". Only adding that it took me a long time to start getting books I wanted to read and even now I certainly get denied books I want. There is no guarantee for ARC giveaways and you should never take a rejection personally. You can reach out to the publisher to ask why you were denied, but you may/may not get an answer. Often they have their requirements listed in NetGalley so it's easy to see. For example, some might require a retailer or librarian. Others may require a book blog with a minimum number of subscribers. There's quite a few ARC rules out there and they don't always apply to every book. Just keep at it and review review review.

And have fun reading!!!

Oops ETA: remember ARCs are not ready for publishing yet so you have to be careful quoting since it may change. You also need to ignore formatting and editing issues since they not have been addressed yet. At most, you can send the publisher a private note about it.

message 7: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments @Lisa those are great suggestions too. "thoughtful" & "helpful"

message 8: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Great, those are so good to know! I just DNF'ed one at 62%... I just couldnt... I was bored? And it had so much promise...

Oh well. I guess i will try again with another book. keep me posted?

message 9: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments Yuk. Sorry it didn't work for you. I know we all want to read five star books.

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 795 comments That reminds you I have a few NetGalley to review....

message 11: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
What have you guys reviewed... what is open, who is good through there? Could/should we make this our own little vetting spot? LOL!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments I've reviewed some amazing finds (and definitely some not so amazing), but I keep mine in a special shelf. Right now I have ten NetGalley books waiting for me to get to - the ones I'm most excited about are:

Train Wreck by Elise Faber and Impossible Views of the World by Lucy Ives. I have a few that are "Read Now" picks instead of ones I have to be approved for (The Red by Tiffany Reisz) and Archie of Outlandish (by Lynnette Kraft). Those are ones anyone can get - you don't have to be approved for. And there is one published that set me to auto-approved, but they don't have all that many that I'm usually interested in. If I find something amazing, I will definitely come back and post it here.

message 13: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
gotcha. yeah. I have The Red too... that is on my short list... lol!

message 14: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments My lineup is mostly M/M and YA Dystopian. I seldom request anything outside those genres.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments I felt all kinds of special when I got approved for the Dean Koontz book coming out this month - Silent Corner. I felt....accomplished, LOL And it was good also!

message 16: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments I NEVER GET APPROVED *SNIFF SNIFF*

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments Then just start grabbing the "Read Now" ones, Ela. That'll build up a base and they'll see that you review them, and poof, you'll suddenly start getting approved. Some publishers are WAY harder than others, and it still hurts my feelings when I get denied. Other times, I'm like "whoa, that was easy".

message 18: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments *WIPES EYES* OK...

message 19: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
yeah, it makes zero sense to me either. my very first book on there was the TJR. *shrug* although they probably looked here and at my amazon stuff.... idk.

message 20: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Wintersong: a novel by S. Jae Jones is available now on the Read Now portion of Net Galley! I know several of you loved this one!

message 21: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Ooooh! It was good.

message 22: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments And I requested the next book, Shadowsong.

message 23: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen (authors of The Wife Between Us) is a Read Now for the first 500,000 people who request...

message 24: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Thanks, Grey! Got it!

message 25: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Thanks Grey! I got it too!

message 26: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments Grey wrote: "An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen (authors of The Wife Between Us) is a Read Now for the first 500,000 people who request..."

Awesome Sauce! Got it as well!

message 27: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments We should BR. We haven't done one in a while.

message 28: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments I need either PNR or dark right now!

message 29: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments How about The Day She Cried by K. Webster or some other K. Webster? You can always count on her for good and dark. I was noticing the other day that I never read this one.

message 30: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Can we do a buddy read...like Sunday? I'm gonna be in the RV riding for a LONG time! I may have stuff to do, but I don't really wanna. I'd rather hang with my girls and do a buddy read. LOL!

message 31: by Nay (last edited Aug 15, 2018 02:29PM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments That would be great, Grey! Perfect timing. I'm finishing up Blind Kiss tonight and I'd like to read two or three others first.

message 32: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments WAIT.........HOLD UP! IS THE BR OF THE DAY SHE CRIED OR IS RENEE GOING OFF ON HER OWN BR AND DOING THE ARC?

message 33: by Nay (last edited Aug 15, 2018 02:30PM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments which ever one Grey was talking about. lol

I edited my post.

message 34: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Either is fine with me. I forgot I'd mentioned the other book. 😂

message 35: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments JUST READ THIS SPOILER REVIEW FOR THE DAY SHE CRIED AND I'M NOT SURE I WANT TO WASTE MY TIME!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 36: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Wait... I dont have The Day She Cried. Hahahhaha!

message 37: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I suck at this... LOL!

message 38: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Just got approved for The Darkest Star by Jennifer Armentrout!

message 39: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments oooooo

message 40: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments I went to check and I just got approved for A Muddle of Magic by Alexandra Rushe. *jumps in enthusiasm* It continues her first book, A Meddle of Wizard.

I just requested The Darkest Star. :)

message 41: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Yay Tessa! I'm not familiar with that series? Fantasy?

message 42: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Yep. I got the first one last year through NetGalley, and it became a favorite. I'm glad to get the next in the series. It's a really cool fantasy world, with the MC a girl pulled in from our world.

message 43: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I had gotten The Darkest Hour a couple of days ago, I'm on vacation, so didn't even think to check until just now. Have been so busy and it's been one thing after another...not good, I'll explain when I get home. Everyone is ok now, that's the long and short of it.

message 44: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Daisy Jones and the Six is available for request on NG....Taylor Jenkins Reid. Hope I get it!

message 45: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1525 comments I totally forgot I was approved for All Your Perfects--after I'd already bought and read it. What happens if I don't review it? I didn't love it and I'm only reviewing books I love right now. Will this affect getting approved in the future or would I have had to accept it and not review it for that to happen?

message 46: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments What About Us by Sidney Halston is available for request on NG. 4th book in the Panic series

message 47: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I got my approval for Daisy Jones and the Six... Not sure when they sent it, I've been out of town and hadn't checked my email. Oops!

message 48: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4279 comments Grey wrote: "I got my approval for Daisy Jones and the Six... Not sure when they sent it, I've been out of town and hadn't checked my email. Oops!"

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!

message 49: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments So, I got my approval earlier for Muddle of Magic, and today, found out I won a copy of it for Kindle. lol Either way, I'm reading it.

message 50: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1025 comments Go Ela. Yay yay yay 😁

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17