Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine discussion

Reccomendations

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Fran Shaw I need to fill the hole that Eleanor has left in my life! Any suggestions? :)

message 2: by Deah (new) - added it

Deah Consider "Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk"

message 3: by Theresa (last edited Jun 12, 2017 08:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Theresa I'm also am looking for books to fill the void she left. I would suggest "Britt-Marie Was Here" by Fredrik Backman. I would love to see what other suggestions are out there.

Emily Matthews You should absolutely check out "A Man Called Ove." Wonderful book in the same vein as Eleanor!

Noelle I just finished the 'Rosie Project' on audible and really loved it. Don (the main character) reminded me a lot of Eleanor.

Jill Benson Okay I have read ALL of these books, Rosie Project and the sequel, A Man Called Ove, Britt-Marie was Here. Let me know if there is something else that fits the bill.

message 7: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Walter I don't remember when I have read a book that I enjoyed so much. I loved Eleanor. My review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Tiffany Fran wrote: "I need to fill the hole that Eleanor has left in my life! Any suggestions? :)"

I thought this book was quite similar (in style, at least) to the Rosie Project, just the male version instead!

Tiffany Jill wrote: "Okay I have read ALL of these books, Rosie Project and the sequel, A Man Called Ove, Britt-Marie was Here. Let me know if there is something else that fits the bill."

I wouldn't say it's completely similar but "Rise and Shine Benedict Stone" is very entertaining!

Julija Noelle wrote: "I just finished the 'Rosie Project' on audible and really loved it. Don (the main character) reminded me a lot of Eleanor."

The One Good Thing by Kevin Alan Milne was really good. I highly recommend it .

message 11: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 22, 2018 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ I loved this book too. It reminded me of A Man Called Ove. They are very different stories (he's an old man, for one thing), but they have a similar tone.

I strongly recommend The Language of Flowers. It's about a young woman who grew up in foster care, and the difficulties she faces. This is longer than Eleanor but the story is really interesting. I read it many years ago and I think of it often. The tone of this one is sadder to start (whereas Eleanor's sad parts are delivered in a matter-of-fact way) but it's ultimately very uplifting.

message 12: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

This. it is the first book in the series. Very funny and interesting character, Flavia de Luce.

NancyJ Eve wrote: "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

This. it is the first book in the series. Very funny and interesting character, Flavia de Luce."

I have that on my list too. It sounds good.

message 14: by Rory (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rory Socket Fran wrote: "I need to fill the hole that Eleanor has left in my life! Any suggestions? :)"
Avoid the Cactus anyway. its a poor imitation. I would think A man called ove would a good one to follow up with if you haven't read it yet.

Nancy Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigani. Quirky character and fun to read.

NancyJ Hmm. I almost picked this up at a used book store, and now I'm seeing mentions of it everywhere. I guess I should check it out.

YourColoradoRealtor® You will be glad you did. It is a great read. A great story about overcoming adversity, loneliness, and a hurtful past.

YourColoradoRealtor® Jill wrote: "Okay I have read ALL of these books, Rosie Project and the sequel, A Man Called Ove, Britt-Marie was Here. Let me know if there is something else that fits the bill."

"The Crocodile Bird" (a mother/daughter similarity)
might fit your ticket. I usually read thrillers/mysteries so have quite a few recommendations of some of those if you are interested.

Jason Phillips Books that seemed similar to Eleanor Oliphant:

Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
The Music Shop
Where'd you go Bernadette?

Billy I agree with "Where'd You Go, Bernadette?" as a good read.

NancyJ Vincent wrote: "I agree with "Where'd You Go, Bernadette?" as a good read."

I agree. I really enjoyed that one! The audio book made it especially fun. I really like the actress that did the performance (I remember her from TV shows). She used a very young sounding voice, which worked for this book imo. It's always a good idea to listen to a sample of an audio book in case the voice doesn't appeal to you.

Nadia Veronika Decides to Die

The character isn't like Eleanor but both of these books were inspirational for me so I recommend this one. If you haven't already read it you should definitely read it because it's a very good book with a lot of appraise.

message 23: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 29, 2018 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ Nadia wrote: "Veronika Decides to Die
."

Yes, I really liked the movie, but I didn't read the book. It has a similarity to A Man Called Ove. (view spoiler)

There was a unique twist in Veronika that I didn't expect.

Elizabeth Fran wrote: "I need to fill the hole that Eleanor has left in my life! Any suggestions? :)"
Try "Girl in Pieces" and "All the Ugly and Wonderful Things". Both are much sadder, but well worth the read

YourColoradoRealtor® I have heard "Britt Marie was Here" makes people think of Eleanor. She was a character in "My Grandmother Asked me to tell you She's Sorry" by Fredrik Backman. I have not read Britt Marie yet, but it has been recommended as a follow up to Eleanor more than once.

NancyJ Heather wrote: "I have heard "Britt Marie was Here" makes people think of Eleanor. She was a character in "My Grandmother Asked me to tell you She's Sorry" by Fredrik Backman. I have not read Britt Marie yet, but ..."

Several of my local bookclub members said it's similar, but they didn't like Britt Marie as much as Ove or Eleanor. Some liked the books, some didn't. We all loved Ove though.

Jason Phillips I just finished Sourdough by Robin Sloan. It's really good, and I think anyone who liked Eleanor would like it. If you're into audio, this one especially good.

Julija Started reading Britt-Marie was here after suggestions here, however I think and agreed with said that this book will not be that appealing to those who really liked Eleonor. In my opinion Britt-Marie is not that interesting a bit boring. Man called Ove on other hans ja other great book from this author.

Wendy Kuzminski My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry - another Backman book that I really enjoyed. Loved Ove! Bear Town is really good too. Other suggestions One-in-a-Million Boy by Monica Wood, Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett, Little Fires Everywhere and Everything I Never Told you by Celeste Ng.

message 30: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Williams I struggled with Britt-Marie too, seemed a bit pedestrian. Maybe I should give it another try...

Janet Great suggestions here! I've read so many of these and really liked most. Those I haven't read are now on my to-read list. Thanks everyone!

Stephanie I suggest everyone try...
Courting Greta
by Ramsey Hootman.
It is one of those books that no one knows about but should.

Soraya Lane This novel was so different (in a good way!) and I've found it hard to find anything similar to read next. I heard a few months back about an awesome new release with a main character (female) who has Aspergers, and it sounded like a really fresh, different plot line. I need to go back through emails and find it!

message 34: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Walter Soraya wrote: "This novel was so different (in a good way!) and I've found it hard to find anything similar to read next. I heard a few months back about an awesome new release with a main character (female) who ..."
WOW, that would make a great movie if cast right! Now who could play Eleanor?

message 35: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Walter Stephanie wrote: "I suggest everyone try...
Courting Greta
by Ramsey Hootman.
It is one of those books that no one knows about but should."

I just picked this up from the library. Can't wait to get started.

message 36: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Just finished The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart. Beautiful. Def worth a read if you loved Elanor!

message 37: by Kate (last edited Dec 24, 2018 04:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate Kiss Me First by Lottie Mogach. The main character is VERY similar to Eleanor. There is "Raymond-like" character, and some stalking of a guy via the internet. I often wondered if Kiss Me First was the inspiration behind
Eleanor Oliphant.

message 38: by Rory (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rory Socket I’m reading all the light you cannot see

message 39: by Rory (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rory Socket Im going to start i am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes given the attention it has gotten. will report back

Vineet i have tried different books suggested here, specially liked A man called Ove, but can say very clearly, haven't found another character so vivid, flowing like Eleanor. I long to find someone like eleanor but my search will remain unfulfilled for now. pls suggest if someone finds better books like this.
thanks to all for such suggestions

Jason Phillips Try a book called My Year of Rest and Relaxation. You may like this one if you liked Eleanor. I like both books a lot.

Janet Stephanie wrote: "I suggest everyone try...
Courting Greta
by Ramsey Hootman.
It is one of those books that no one knows about but should."

Thanks for the Rec - I really liked Courting Greta!

Janet Jason wrote: "Books that seemed similar to Eleanor Oliphant:

Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
The Music Shop
Where'd you go Bernadette?"

Thanks for these! I really liked The Music Shop. Bernadette - not so much.

Janet The recommendations on here have been terrific! I have picked up and enjoyed many. Here are 2 more of my recommendations that I have not seen listed here yet: I really enjoyed "Marcelo in the Real World" and "600 Hours of Edward" (Edward is a 3 book series; #1 and #3 are my favorites of the series). Both have 'quirky' male protagonists.

Kellie Rosie project by graeme simmions think I have last name wrong . This book will have you laughing out loud. It is a trilogy but you can just read the one as a stand alone . Enjoy

Stephanie Another suggestion would be the new book called..The Bride Test| By Helen Hoang. Very cute!