EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

[ARCHIVES] RECOMMENDATIONS > Summer book for family reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Youssef each summer I read (audio) a book with my children, now 14 and 11. Last summer we read Watership Down. now, every time we see a rabbit we call him Fiver. Looking for dome suggestions for this summer.

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Do you want something fairly long like WD so that it lasts the whole summer?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Youssef No. I picked that one because it is one of my favorites. Just something to hold their interest.

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie How about The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman or something by Roland Dahl: James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, Matilda, etc.

message 5: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 227 comments We did Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea last summer and The Witches. Both we're appreciated.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments I agree with Melanie, anything by Roald Dahl! My students love when I read his books aloud to them! Great imagination and humor.

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Dahl's are so fun to read aloud because they just scream for voices!
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer are also really fun to read aloud, and like WD will give you some serious subjects to talk about this summer.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Youssef Thanks to all. I will make a list and let the kids vote!

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 973 comments I just read Kildee House and thought of you - it's a Newbery Honor set in the redwoods of northern California, and has a real fondness and respect for nature and critters, a bit like Watership Down, but less intense, not as plain old fun as Rascal, though. Your kids might be too old for the main plot, but I bet they'd be intrigued by the idea of Jerome's retirement turning out so much different than what he planned. So, very discussable, and still fun.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Youssef thanks. I will check it out.

message 11: by Carie (last edited Jun 21, 2017 07:47AM) (new)

Carie Giroux I'm new to the group, but I have to throw my 2 cents in. If you haven't already, you must check out The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley. I started reading this with my 10 year old son while my 16 yr old was present (on her phone of all things), and she quickly became as captivated in the story as my 10 year old. We are all reading it together now.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Youssef Thank you Carie and welcome. Will add to the list.

message 13: by Diana Hincu (last edited Jun 21, 2017 02:11PM) (new)

Diana Hincu | 1 comments My daughter is almost 11 and very much reading lately. This follows my idea to create a book club for kids - gathering toghether her best friends, bringing something sweet in order to sharing emotions after reading in a nice place, informally. Following this, she is reading 2 - 3 books per week. It worked unexpected, very well! :)
I also recommend very much Roald Dahl - those 2 books are fabulous- Charlie and chocolate factory and Charlie and the great glass elevator.

Wish you sweet reads!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments So far my fav Roald Dahl book is The BFG. I know that one plus James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, and The Fantastic Mr. Fox have all been made into movies. Y'all could have a super fun summer doing a read/watch thing and comparing the books to the movies!

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Youssef My daughter just read Number the Stars and loved it. This might be a good book for her!

message 18: by Marcos (last edited Jun 27, 2017 01:45PM) (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1863 comments Mod
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, agreed, and many others by Jules Verne, like

Around the World in Eighty Days,
From the Earth to the Moon,
Five Weeks in a Balloon or
Journey to the Center of the Earth.

All full of adventure. I remember liking very much "Five Weeks..."

And of course, Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson, a great, classic-est classic!! Great story: ships, pirates, treasure map, etc.! Could be also a good thriller for kids. The "black spot" thing is great, emphasize that! Read at night! :-)

message 19: by Bea (new)

Bea (beaisabel) I'd have to say anything written by Roald Dahl -- Charlie & Chocolate Factory/Glass Elevator, BFG, Witches, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Twits, James & Giant Peach, etc.

My siblings and I also enjoy the Wayside School Is Falling Down series written by Louis Sachar. It's absolutely hilarious and I couldn't recommend it more.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments The Lemony Snicket series! So fun. I enjoy them as an adult 😜

Let us know what y'all end up reading!

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 973 comments Ooh, seconding Wayside School series!

message 22: by Bea (new)

Bea (beaisabel) Sarah wrote: "The Lemony Snicket series! So fun. I enjoy them as an adult 😜

Let us know what y'all end up reading!"

I TOTALLY AGREE... forgot about Mr. Snicket for a second there.

Cheryl wrote: "Ooh, seconding Wayside School series!"

I see you lmao

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Youssef Hi all. We are currently reading The Lord of the Flies. We are listening to the audio version read by the author. My son picked this one. About half way into it. Planning on letting my daughter pick the next one as she finds this one a bit boring.

Saar The Book owl | 280 comments 'How to tame your dragon' is also very good for kids.

message 25: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 38 comments My kids (1 boy, 2 girls) were very into Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief series at those ages. The reader varies with each book, but I got over it pretty quickly. They all did a good job. A series may be a good idea for the summer.

My youngest first read Wonder around this time. I suspect the audio would be as good as the book, but I have not heard it.

message 26: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I enjoyed Wonder. Once a year my RL book group has a bring your kid to group event. Last years read was Wonder. It was an interesting story that got the whole group talking.

message 27: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline I love Percy Jackson and all of Ricks books. What I didn’t like is the person narrating the first of the Magnus Chase books. Really boring droning voice. Returned it after listening to it for about half an hour. Made my head hurt.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen | 125 comments Here are the top chapter books I always read aloud to my students: There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom, Ivan, the One and Only, The Giggler Treatment, The Wild Robot (a new fav), Bridge to Terabithia, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and for Roald Dahl (I let the class vote) the winner this year was The Witches.

message 29: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 973 comments The Giggler Treatment and The Wild Robot are new to me. Since I like your other selections, I'll have to check on those.

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen | 125 comments Cheryl wrote: "The Giggler Treatment and The Wild Robot are new to me. Since I like your other selections, I'll have to check on those."

The Giggler Treatment is incredibly silly, but was always a hit with my 3rd graders. They literally groaned when I stopped for the day!

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 973 comments :smiles:

message 32: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) For family reading, I would suggest something with adventure in it. Harry Potter would be a good choice. Or a good detective series.

message 33: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 495 comments I don't have any ideas to pitch in, but I wanted to congratulate all of you that's reading to their kids, even if they're over 10 y/o. It's something to do together, it gives you material to talk about and gets the kids closer to books. Right now I'm just reading Peel, the Extraordinary Elephant to my baby bump, hoping they'll remember it when they're born.

message 34: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 109 comments Black Beauty is a great book. Kids care about the treatment of animals.