Start by marking “The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot, #1)

The Wild Robot

(The Wild Robot #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  25,873 ratings  ·  3,784 reviews
Can a robot survive in the wilderness?

When robot Roz opens her eyes for the first time, she discovers that she is all alone on a remote, wild island. She has no idea how she got there or what her purpose is--but she knows she needs to survive. After battling a violent storm and escaping a vicious bear attack, she realizes that her only hope for survival is to adapt to her
Published April 5th 2016 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Robot, please sign up.
Sarah Gioia My kindergartener/5 year old loved it--he's ahead on reading but we had a great time reading it together. I cried at some of the mother and son stuff …moreMy kindergartener/5 year old loved it--he's ahead on reading but we had a great time reading it together. I cried at some of the mother and son stuff but he was fine (bonus: hugged me when I cried : )(less)
Cory Shaw Both. Roz is humanoid just as C-3PO is humanoid. R2D2 is an example of a robot that is not humanoid. Roz does not have skin or tissue though, she is m…moreBoth. Roz is humanoid just as C-3PO is humanoid. R2D2 is an example of a robot that is not humanoid. Roz does not have skin or tissue though, she is made of a shiny material that can receive dents and scratches.(less)

·  25,873 ratings  ·  3,784 reviews

Start your review of The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot, #1)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was a nice read! I loved the illustrations so much. At times I did feel the story felt a little bit disjointed and all over the place, but it was a quick and sweet read.
Miranda Reads
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FRIENDSHIP OVER - if you don't love this book

(I'm deadly serious - don't test me)

I cannot remember the last time when I was so surprised and delighted.

This brought me back to my childhood and I am forever grateful to Peter Brown for writing it.
One year ago, I awoke on the shore of island. I was just a machine. I functioned. But you --- my friends and my family --- have taught me how to live.
Roz - a standard issue manual labor robot - is stranded on an island.

At first, she is at a loss - she
Cristina Monica
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, animals
I don’t believe I’ve ever said this in a review of a book before, but I think a lovely video game for kids can be made out of Peter Brown’s new middle grade novel.

The illustrations made me think that, with their original style and 3-D quality. Plus the story could work.

Because this is about a robot female (Roz) who mysteriously ends up on an island devoid of humans but filled with animals that form a certain community.

Roz tries to be part of that community by being friendly and helpful with the
Mischenko
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
My family loves Peter Brown and we have a few of his other children’s books in our home library which are favorites. We were so excited to find out he had written a middle-grade book and went ahead and purchased The Wild Robot. After my daughter read it, she kept begging me to get to it, and I’m sorry I waited so long. This turned out to be a great read!

The story begins with a robot named Roz who has arrived on an island. She was in a crate among other robots on a ship and now has been washe
Betsy
There are far fewer robot middle grade books out there than you might expect. This is probably because, as a general rule, robots fall into the Data from Star Trek trap. Their sole purpose in any narrative is to explain what it is to be human. You see this all the time in pop culture, so it stands to reason you’d see it a bit in children’s books too. Never you mind that a cool robot is basically a kid’s dream companion. Take away the kid, put the robot on its own, and you have yourself some phil ...more
Calista
This was a good idea. I have a nephew who just went to a robot convention to build a little robot. He is robot crazy, so I understand the popularity of a robot very well. I love them in Star Wars. I even loved Data in Star Trek.

I could not relate to Roz, the robot, in this story. I didn't understand why a robot was used really. I feel the emotional journey that Roz goes on would have been better with some sort of detached person or something, I don't know. I kept getting hung up on the robot Ro
Melki
I know, I know. I'm as surprised as anyone . . . a book about a robot that I didn't go absolutely ga-ga over.

Who'd a thunk it?

I was expecting this to be one of my favorite reads of the year, but instead, I just found it strange - a weird, disconcerting read. You see, the author employs this folksy, gather-'round-kiddies-and-I'll-tell-you-a-tale voice that seems most likely to appeal to very young children, and yet, there are such mature themes here. And death. Lots and lots of death.

On the p
Kayla Dawn
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I loved the illustrations in this so much. They are absolutely perfect for the story.

I actually loved the whole book. I thought it would be just a children's book but it actually had some important topics in it (global warming and the effect it has on animals for example).

I'm really curious for the second book in this series!
Donalyn
Read the ARC, which doesn't have the final illustrations and still thought it was powerful. This book will spark lots of great conversations with kids about kindness, community, and what it means to be alive.

Update: Read the finished book and declare it even better with the illustrations, of course!
Mel (Epic Reading)
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first 70% of The Wild Robot is adorable. This middle aged story is void of humans and our lead character is instead a robot. One that can learn and analysis things in order to determine the best course of action based on databases stored in it's logs (things like survival, animal types, etc.). Peter Brown has taken the idea of a conscious AI and given it life in our Robot.

The Animals
Just as key to the story as the robot itself are the animals on the island. Each is a character in it's own r
David Schaafsma
I liked this 3rd or 4th grade book I listened to with the fam on a road trip in the western US, the first in a series, maybe a trilogy. Roz is one of the robots who washes up on the shore of an island when being transported to her owner. All of her fellow robots are smashed on the rocks, but she lives on to encounter nature, basically in the form of other animals who are not welcoming to her (an immigration or bully thing). She actually encounters the threat of violence from two adolescent bears ...more
Liza Fireman
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
I did not like this book at all. Except the premise of a robot in the wild it did not make much sense. I'll expand on the reasons.

There is a big gap between the writing style, which is almost so simple to fit only a really short juvenile book, and the length, which is MG. For over 70% of the book nothing that is not straight forward is happening (yes, she befriends the animals, build fire etc, but nothing really interesting to hold a smart reader is there). In addition, the reader (referred by
The Captain
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-readers
Ahoy there me mateys! I was looking to read something short that fit me current mood and this book was found in the hold. This is listed as a middle-grade but bah! I don’t put age limits on things.

This is about a robot whose crate gets washed overboard from a cargo ship and she ends up on a deserted island. Except the island isn’t actually deserted. It is filled with local wildlife. So the robot, Roz, has to to discover how to survive on the island, her purpose, and perhaps how she got there.

Tho
Book Riot Community
I don’t read a lot of books about robots or about the wilderness, but it’s hard to imagine that the two overlap very regularly. The odd concept and fantastic artwork is what had me picking up children’s book author Peter Brown’s first novel, but the beauty of the story full of loss, love, and humor is what stuck with me long after I put it down. Like most of the very best middle-grade books, The Wild Robot can connect with adults just as easily as children.

–Trisha Brown

from The Best Books We Rea
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪

Oh well, I knew I would like this book. Middle grade? Check. Talks about robots? Check. Has great illustrations created by the author? Check. I think if I had read this book when I was in the target age, it would have been a favourite. As an adult, I appreciated the story and the beautiful characters, although I must admit this was much less wholesome than I expected. There is a lot of talk about death in this book, which kinda put me off guard. This book has the same amount of death per chapte
Jan
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Update 3/18/18
I just read this book for the second time in preparation to read the sequel The Wild Robot Escapes tomorrow. I don't know if it's possible to love this book any more than I already did, but I'm thinking maybe I do. Or maybe I just fell in love with Roz all over again. I wish we could all have someone like Roz in our life. We would never be sad or lonely or feel unloved. Someone would always have our back and be there to support us through whatever life deals us. What a perfect worl
Trish
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute little story I came across coincidentally. It's the story of a robot. Hundreds of robots had been shipped and crashed due a storm until only one was left. This robot boots up on an island. It doesn't know anything about its origins and it is alone.

The island, where there aren't remains of the crashed robots, is lush and green. The animals of the island at first played with the robot remains (well, the otters did) until they found the one intact robot left. But once this robot has
Jaksen
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
We love Peter Brown in my family. His 'Creepy Carrots' - he's the illustrator - remains a favorite even as the boys start to grow out of picture books. No, I say! I love picture books and I am decades older than the boys, so...

When my older grandson, age eleven, told me he owned this book and that I should read it, what could I do? I can read a book this size in a day - an afternoon - but I spread it out so I could deliciously enjoy it. And I did!

Roz the Robot is cast onto a small island during
Emily
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a read aloud with my 10 year old and we both loved this story. A cargo ship loses a crate of robots who wash up on the shore of an island, and one of them wakes up. Roz adapts to live in the wild with the animals on the island and thrives in her new surroundings. I loved the nature study aspect of the story - seeing how Roz studies the world around her and learns to speak with the animals.

My 10 year old says it was amazing and she is anxious to read the next book in the series.
Amber
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roz is a robot who wakes up on an island. Determined to survive, Roz decides to befriend the animals of the island and learns from them how to survive. Will she succeed? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good audiobook. I enjoyed this robot story. If you like stories about survival and friendship, be sure to check this out for yourself. It is available at your local library and wherever books and audiobooks are sold.
Emily
Be prepared to cry. I loved every minute of this book. It was creative and heartwarming and as realistic as you can get considering it's about a robot surviving in the wilderness. Also, there better be a sequel in the works or else someone is getting a nasty letter.
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
I loved this book! One blurb I read said it was a cross between Wall-E and Hatchet, and I feel like that is a very accurate description. It was an adorable story about a robot who tries to fit in with the wild creatures on the island where she was shipwrecked, and she manages to make friends and family, and takes care of a lot of animals. I think it would be great for some older children, like maybe 9. There is a fair amount of peril in it and deaths of animals by natural causes such as rock sli ...more
Jill Pickle
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book will do for robots what Charlotte's Web did for pigs.

I loved, loved this book. Peter Brown maintains his perfect picture book voice but in an early chapter book... And this voice is maintained throughout. Many picture book authors attempt this, few succeed. (Parents: such a great read aloud!)

The Wild Robot is essentially a survival story--not quite as scary as The Hatchet, but it definitely doesn't shy away from basic facts of violence in nature (including humans). But what I love mos
Travis
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Isaac Asimov writes HATCHET. Wonderful book.
Amy
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Amy by: Donalyn
(Reviewed from an ARC that I received as part of a reader affiliate program.)

I was excited to start this book for several reasons:
1. It had received starred reviews
2. It was featured in one of Donalyn Miller's best-of-the-year so far lists
3. I am a HUGE fan of picture book authors who take their top-notch storytelling skills and cross over into middle grades fiction (hellloooo Mac Barnett)

However, this book frustrated me. I was intrigued by the premise (container ship filled with robots gets stu
Niki Marion
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book makes me wanna return to grad school so I can write all the papers on this book, which somehow manages to include every hot button topic in today's culture in this book (a sampling: motherhood, humanness, disability, climate change, civilization, gun violence) while making it extremely readable and only semi-heavy-handed at parts.
Rachel Aranda
4-4.25 stars

This book was a delightful surprise! I had heard a little about this book but my friend Miranda was so in love with this series I knew I had to read it when I could. Borrowing a physical copy from the library just wasn’t in the cards for me but the audiobook came up and I grabbed it. It was sweet seeing Roz finding her way in the island with its animals. The action scenes near the end took me by surprise and I freaking loved it! I could see why some readers could feels these scenes m
vanessa
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
There’s such sweet whimsy in this novel. It was easy for me to suspend my disbelief and just let these characters and this setting take over. A really fun delight - if you know kiddos who like books that take place in the natural world/survival stories this is great.
Laurene
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes a book, a children's book, surprises me. When I finished The Wild Robot, I had to sit back and absorb what I just read. Thought this simple book would be a cute simple story about a robot. I book I could pick up between my other more developed reads. I was completely baffled. Yes, it is a story about a robot named Roz but it is a story about Life. The ability to experience life if you are courageous enough to open yourself to it.
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
A middle grade book hasn't made me cry like this in a long time. Review to come - I have a lot of notes to sort out on this one.

We did it. Our class finished reading @peterbrownstudio

• Pax
  • Perfect Timing: How Isaac Murphy Became one of the World's Greatest Jockeys
  • The One and Only Ivan
  • Fish in a Tree
  • Crenshaw
  • Wishtree
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Save Me a Seat
  • Ms. Bixby's Last Day
  • Ghosts
  • The One and Only Bob
  • Klondike, Do Not Eat Those Cupcakes!
  • Wish
  • Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1)
  • Lift Your Light a Little Higher: The Story of Stephen Bishop: Slave-Explorer
  • A Boy Called Bat (A Boy Called Bat, #1)
  • Bearstone: With Related Readings (Glencoe Literature Library, #8)

Peter Brown is an American writer and illustrator who is best known for children's picture books.

"Peter has always loved telling stories. Growing up in New Jersey, he told stories by drawing whimsical characters and scenes from his imagination. Then, as a teenager, he fell

The Wild Robot (2 books)
  • The Wild Robot Escapes (The Wild Robot, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Summer vacation is officially here! Now's the perfect time to fill those long, school-free days with books your kids will ...
“But I do not know how to act like a mother.” “Oh, it’s nothing, you just have to provide the gosling with food and water and shelter, make him feel loved but don’t pamper him too much, keep him away from danger, and make sure he learns to walk and talk and swim and fly and get along with others and look after himself. And that’s really all there is to motherhood!” The” 6 likes
“I'll tell you what: If I could do it all over again, I'd spend more time helping others. All I've ever done is dig tunnels. Some of them were real beauties too, but they're all hidden underground, where they're no good to anyone but me.” 5 likes