Start by marking “The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot, #1)

The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  10,895 Ratings  ·  2,106 Reviews
When robot Roz opens her eyes for the first time, she discovers that she is alone on a remote, wild island. Why is she there? Where did she come from? And, most important, how will she survive in her harsh surroundings? Roz's only hope is to learn from the island's hostile animal inhabitants. When she tries to care for an orphaned gosling, the other animals finally decide ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Robot, please sign up.
Sarah Gioia My kindergartener/5 year old loved it--he's ahead on reading but we had a great time reading it together. I cried at some of the mother and son stuff…moreMy kindergartener/5 year old loved it--he's ahead on reading but we had a great time reading it together. I cried at some of the mother and son stuff but he was fine (bonus: hugged me when I cried : )(less)
Cory Shaw Both. Roz is humanoid just as C-3PO is humanoid. R2D2 is an example of a robot that is not humanoid. Roz does not have skin or tissue though, she is…moreBoth. Roz is humanoid just as C-3PO is humanoid. R2D2 is an example of a robot that is not humanoid. Roz does not have skin or tissue though, she is made of a shiny material that can receive dents and scratches.(less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was a nice read! I loved the illustrations so much. At times I did feel the story felt a little bit disjointed and all over the place, but it was a quick and sweet read.
Lola
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, animals
I don’t believe I’ve ever said this in a review of a book before, but I think a lovely video game for kids can be made out of Peter Brown’s new middle grade novel.

The illustrations made me think that, with their original style and 3-D quality. Plus the story could work.

Because this is about a robot female (Roz) who mysteriously ends up on an island devoid of humans but filled with animals that form a certain community.

Roz tries to be part of that community by being friendly and helpful with the
Betsy
There are far fewer robot middle grade books out there than you might expect. This is probably because, as a general rule, robots fall into the Data from Star Trek trap. Their sole purpose in any narrative is to explain what it is to be human. You see this all the time in pop culture, so it stands to reason you’d see it a bit in children’s books too. Never you mind that a cool robot is basically a kid’s dream companion. Take away the kid, put the robot on its own, and you have yourself some phil ...more
Kayla Dawn
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-besitz
I loved the illustrations in this so much. They are absolutely perfect for the story.

I actually loved the whole book. I thought it would be just a children's book but it actually had some important topics in it (global warming and the effect it has on animals for example).

I'm really curious for the second book in this series!
Melki
I know, I know. I'm as surprised as anyone . . . a book about a robot that I didn't go absolutely ga-ga over.

Who'd a thunk it?

I was expecting this to be one of my favorite reads of the year, but instead, I just found it strange - a weird, disconcerting read. You see, the author employs this folksy, gather-'round-kiddies-and-I'll-tell-you-a-tale voice that seems most likely to appeal to very young children, and yet, there are such mature themes here. And death. Lots and lots of death.

On the plus
Donalyn
Read the ARC, which doesn't have the final illustrations and still thought it was powerful. This book will spark lots of great conversations with kids about kindness, community, and what it means to be alive.

Update: Read the finished book and declare it even better with the illustrations, of course!
Book Riot Community
I don’t read a lot of books about robots or about the wilderness, but it’s hard to imagine that the two overlap very regularly. The odd concept and fantastic artwork is what had me picking up children’s book author Peter Brown’s first novel, but the beauty of the story full of loss, love, and humor is what stuck with me long after I put it down. Like most of the very best middle-grade books, The Wild Robot can connect with adults just as easily as children.

–Trisha Brown

from The Best Books We Rea
Jan
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Update 3/18/18
I just read this book for the second time in preparation to read the sequel The Wild Robot Escapes tomorrow. I don't know if it's possible to love this book any more than I already did, but I'm thinking maybe I do. Or maybe I just fell in love with Roz all over again. I wish we could all have someone like Roz in our life. We would never be sad or lonely or feel unloved. Someone would always have our back and be there to support us through whatever life deals us. What a perfect worl
Liza Fireman
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
I did not like this book at all. Except the premise of a robot in the wild it did not make much sense. I'll expand on the reasons.

There is a big gap between the writing style, which is almost so simple to fit only a really short juvenile book, and the length, which is MG. For over 70% of the book nothing that is not straight forward is happening (yes, she befriends the animals, build fire etc, but nothing really interesting to hold a smart reader is there). In addition, the reader (referred by
Emily
Be prepared to cry. I loved every minute of this book. It was creative and heartwarming and as realistic as you can get considering it's about a robot surviving in the wilderness. Also, there better be a sequel in the works or else someone is getting a nasty letter.
Scope
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Isaac Asimov writes HATCHET. Wonderful book.
The Captain
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-readers
Ahoy there me mateys! I was looking to read something short that fit me current mood and this book was found in the hold. This is listed as a middle-grade but bah! I don’t put age limits on things.

This is about a robot whose crate gets washed overboard from a cargo ship and she ends up on a deserted island. Except the island isn’t actually deserted. It is filled with local wildlife. So the robot, Roz, has to to discover how to survive on the island, her purpose, and perhaps how she got there.

Tho
Jill Pickle
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book will do for robots what Charlotte's Web did for pigs.

I loved, loved this book. Peter Brown maintains his perfect picture book voice but in an early chapter book... And this voice is maintained throughout. Many picture book authors attempt this, few succeed. (Parents: such a great read aloud!)

The Wild Robot is essentially a survival story--not quite as scary as The Hatchet, but it definitely doesn't shy away from basic facts of violence in nature (including humans). But what I love mos
Amber
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roz is a robot who wakes up on an island. Determined to survive, Roz decides to befriend the animals of the island and learns from them how to survive. Will she succeed? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good audiobook. I enjoyed this robot story. If you like stories about survival and friendship, be sure to check this out for yourself. It is available at your local library and wherever books and audiobooks are sold.
Niki Marion
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book makes me wanna return to grad school so I can write all the papers on this book, which somehow manages to include every hot button topic in today's culture in this book (a sampling: motherhood, humanness, disability, climate change, civilization, gun violence) while making it extremely readable and only semi-heavy-handed at parts.
Melissa Posten
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-novels
Picture book author/illustrator Peter Brown gifts us with The Wild Robot: a spare, haunting tale of figuring out the roots of your humanity, and trying to reconcile what you learn with the reality of the life you are living. It's a story of family and community; of learning what loneliness is and how to fight it; of growing together and coming apart; of the interaction between the human world and the natural world. It's a story of sacrifice and overcoming fear of the unknown and different; of ch ...more
Amy
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Amy by: Donalyn
(Reviewed from an ARC that I received as part of a reader affiliate program.)

I was excited to start this book for several reasons:
1. It had received starred reviews
2. It was featured in one of Donalyn Miller's best-of-the-year so far lists
3. I am a HUGE fan of picture book authors who take their top-notch storytelling skills and cross over into middle grades fiction (hellloooo Mac Barnett)

However, this book frustrated me. I was intrigued by the premise (container ship filled with robots gets stu
mills♥
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so adorable! Also, (view spoiler)

It is a kids book, and in that case, it was hard to read because of the choppy writing. But, that also means that the writing style is engaging, and I quite liked that because it kept me interested and, well, engaged.

I don't th
Skip
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I liked this cute middle school age book about a robot, which survives a shipwreck and is activated on an island with no human inhabitants. Instead, Roz makes friends with the animals, and adopt a young orphaned gosling (Brightbill), becoming his mother. This book is really about friendship, love and community as a series of events make things interesting for all. Peter Brown's illustrations were fun, but his basic robot shape was a bit too human (for an adult anyway.)
Paul
I really enjoyed reading this middle grade book about a robot that learns to adapt and thrive on an island with the wild life. The reason I ended up giving this a 4 instead of a 3 is because I think this is a great introduction to young kids about artificial intelligence that may get them excited about science fiction. On the younger side of middle grade, 8 or 9.
Darinda
A ship carrying hundreds of robots sinks, but one box washes ashore an island. In that box is Roz, a robot. She awakens on an island full of wildlife. The other animals think Roz is a monster, but she slowly finds her place among the island inhabitants.

A weird and quirky middle grade book. The story is odd, but fun.
Rikke
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very sweet story. Also plenty educational, and it provides lots of opportunities to talk about various subjects as well. Definitely good for reading aloud, and the chapters are short. I've given this book four stars, although I don't like it enough for it to compare with books I would normally rate four stars. But then, I rarely read books intended for younger kids anymore, and I really do feel, I would like it a lot, if I were in fact, a kid.
Jillian Heise
I really loved this story. Heartwarming and written in a way that kept the plot moving even when it was quiet changes. The voice of talking to the reader made for some great moments and a feeling of a special story.
Elisabeth
Anfangs war ich sehr begeistert vom Buch, allerdings gesellen sich dazu nach und nach ein paar Stellen, die mich gestört haben. Positiv waren das mal völlig andere, spannende Setting mit Themen, die zum aktuellen Weltgeschehen passen, die liebevollen Illustrationen des Autors (ja, er war selbst am Werk) und der tolle Schreibstil, der zum Vorlesen einlädt. Als störend empfunden habe ich die zu schnelle Entwicklung der Charaktere, Konflikte, die lieber unter den Teppich gekehrt, als gelöst werden ...more
Stacey
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What would happen if a robot happened to arrive on an island that is humming with wildlife?

The Wild Robot is delightful and unexpected. The concept of this story is so unlike any others I've ever read. Roz goes on a journey to make her days meaningful by surrounding herself with friends and by doing things for others. The animals of the island pay her back with their friendship.

I can't wait to share this with my 4th grade students. Perfect for a read aloud because, reader, you won't be able to
Mieke Mcbride
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just started reading this to Conall tonight. First time trying out a chapter book; we'll see how long his attention span lasts and how well he holds onto the story from night to night. Maybe jumping the gun here but this is one of the things I've been looking forward to the most about being a parent. So far he loves the otters and my robot voice.
KC
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. Somewhere in the ocean, a cargo ship full of robots sinks miles from a nearby island. Five wash ashore, all are damaged, with the exception of one. "Roz" finds herself having to adapt to her new home, learning how to communicate with the animals that inhabit this new place, as well as having to adjust to the fact that she is truly an outsider. Roz's journey is often slow and uneventful until the end but there is certainly a verifiable underlying social theme to this tale. The Wild Rob ...more
Claudia Badiu
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ce face o roboțică atunci când naufragiază pe o insulă? Cum se proiectează inteligența artificială, în sălbăticie? Va reuși Roz să își folosească sistemul de adaptare la mediu, al sistemului ei de operare? Povestea deschide posibilități interesante, aduce idei creative și ne învață o mulțime de lucruri despre prietenie, toleranță și empatie. Chiar dacă toate acestea sunt generate de un robot...
Dan
Check out my blog, One Man Book Club

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

Update 2/1/16
My younger kids (7 and 4) and I have just finished reading The Wild Robot together and they loved it. LOVED it. I loved it all over again too--even though I'd just finished it myself before going back to the front with the kiddo's. I'm telling you, this story is golden. We can't wait for book two.

******

I wish I had written The Wild Robot.

"What a great idea!"

"Ooo, I loved how that sounds."

"Why didn't I think of
  • Some Kind of Courage
  • Save Me a Seat
  • The Seventh Wish
  • The Key to Extraordinary
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
  • The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher (Family Fletcher, #1)
  • The Nine Lives of Jacob Tibbs
  • Wolf Hollow
  • Booked
  • Counting Thyme
  • Firefly Hollow

Peter Brown is an American writer and illustrator who is best known for children's picture books.

"Peter has always loved telling stories. Growing up in New Jersey, he told stories by drawing whimsical characters and scenes from his imagination. Then, as a teenager, he fell
More about Peter Brown

The Wild Robot (2 books)
  • The Wild Robot Escapes (The Wild Robot, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I'll tell you what: If I could do it all over again, I'd spend more time helping others. All I've ever done is dig tunnels. Some of them were real beauties too, but they're all hidden underground, where they're no good to anyone but me.” 2 likes
“But I do not know how to act like a mother.” “Oh, it’s nothing, you just have to provide the gosling with food and water and shelter, make him feel loved but don’t pamper him too much, keep him away from danger, and make sure he learns to walk and talk and swim and fly and get along with others and look after himself. And that’s really all there is to motherhood!” The” 1 likes