Sacramento Public Library discussion

General > What Are You Reading: June 2017

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sacramento Public Library (saclib) | 370 comments Mod
Summer is here! What books are you kicking off your summer with? Share below to help someone find a great summer read!

Oh, and since you are going to be reading this summer, don't forget to sign up for our Summer Reading Program! Adults can win a free tote bag, perfect for toting around all of your summer books! Join us: https://saclibrary.beanstack.org/read...

message 2: by Sionna (new)

Sionna (simplystrange) I signed up for summer reading! Looking forward to picking up the tote soon ^_^

I just finished reading The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes by Leonard Goldberg The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes which was a very intriguing read. Up next I'll be reading Dead Heat and Royal Bastards. Trying to read my books out from the library before summer school starts next week!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Joined and have earned my tote!

I am currently reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. I am not sure how I feel about it. Not sure what is next. I have several with the same due date coming up. But I'll probably read Here and Gone.

message 4: by Brendle (new)

Brendle (akajill) | 235 comments Mod
I've had the pleasure of reading three very different books this week.

On Tuesday I ran down to the bookstore to get White Hot by Ilona Andrews. I'd been waiting over a year for it and didn't want to wait another second! This is an absolutely delicious urban fantasy romance series and if you enjoy a good alpha hero and heroine pair this is the series for you! The first book is Burn for Me

Then on Wednesday I started my book group reading The Turner House by Angela Flournoy. A debut novel and National Book Award nominee a few years ago, was quite enjoyable. It's given me a lot to think about and I'm looking forward to our discussion today.

Last night I started the new Lee Child No Middle Name a collection of Jack Reacher short stories. I do love me some Jack Reacher!

After I finish that, I have several other books to choose from next. Hurray for summer reading!

message 5: by Sionna (new)

Sionna (simplystrange) Brendle wrote: "On Tuesday I ran down to the bookstore to get White Hot by Ilona Andrews. I'd been waiting over a year for it and didn't want..."

I have a hold on Burn for Me and it is in transit to the library... I keep checking my e-mail hoping it will get in today so I can read it over the weekend. I've heard so many good things about this series!

message 6: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Bailey | 1 comments High Noon
I just finished this book. I love the way Nora Roberts can always combined romance with a suspense, on the edge of your seat thriller. This is one of those books that you will not want to put down because each chapter keeps you guessing on what will happen next.

message 7: by Brendle (new)

Brendle (akajill) | 235 comments Mod
Over the last couple of weeks I've been listening to Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders. I'm going to admit, this isn't the sort of thing I usually read. It's experimental fiction and very unusual. One might even call it weird. Centered around the death of Willie Lincoln & a visit his grieving father, President Lincoln, made to his grave it's an exploration of life, death, grief, the afterlife, society and so much more. It really defies description.

But the audio...

Oh, my the audio. This is why I checked it out. With over 160 voices (according to the accounts I read) it is utterly mesmerizing. The format of the book is a bit unusual, but the full cast makes it possible to understand--in fact I think one voice would have been deadly. It's just amazing. The main narrators are Nick Offerman, David Sedaris and the author himself & all are excellent. If you are an audio book fan, I would strongly recommend this book.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments I am SO jealous of you Brendle! I read the book and agree that it was a struggle. I LOVED the book, but I worked for it. This is one book I really wish I had listened to.

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 18 comments I am currently working on Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
However, I have mixed feeling, I think it has to do more with the treatment of women in general and the cast like system. Because it is a well written and overall I appreciate the story.

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Brendle wrote: "Over the last couple of weeks I've been listening to Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders. I'm going to admit, this isn't the sort of thing I usually read. It's experimental fiction and very unu..."

I was thinking about reading the book, but now I think I will checkout the audio version.