Start by marking “Here and Gone” as Want to Read:
Here and Gone

Here and Gone

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  6,834 ratings  ·  1,326 reviews
Here and Gone is a gripping, wonderfully tense suspense thriller about a mother's desperate fight to recover her stolen children from corrupt authorities.

It begins with a woman fleeing through Arizona with her kids in tow, trying to escape an abusive marriage. When she's pulled over by an unsettling local sheriff, things soon go awry and she is taken into custody. Only whe
Published June 20th 2017 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Here and Gone, please sign up.
Rachana There's no talk about any "new life". Human trafficking and Human smuggling are the biggest menace worldwide. The slavery network run by the drug cart…moreThere's no talk about any "new life". Human trafficking and Human smuggling are the biggest menace worldwide. The slavery network run by the drug cartels weaving the way through the South American continent and middle East countries probably holds the answer why the white skinned kids? What the author never said is a dark, horrible reality.(less)

·  6,834 ratings  ·  1,326 reviews

Start your review of Here and Gone
Deanna
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars

After reading just a few sentences of the description for "Here and Gone", I knew it was a book I wanted to read. The plot sounded intriguing and I was pretty sure I was going to enjoy it.

I was right. After reading only a few pages I was totally engrossed in this story. It was INTENSE.

The book opens as Audra Kinney and her two children are driving through Arizona on their way to California. The land is so beautiful
Paromjit
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely gripping thriller by Stuart Neville, whose books I adore, here writing as Haylen Beck. This is a story delivered through multiple viewpoints, and interspersed with reports and emails in the narrative. It has the frightening premise of an abused mother losing her precious children, facing condemnation and accusations, and her hunt to locate them. Audra Kinney is on the run from a nightmarish, controlling and abusive husband, Patrick, and the pending court custody hearing. Fl ...more
Kaceey
A traveling sister read with Norma, Brenda and Lindsay! We’re on a roll with yet another fantastic, heart- pounding thriller.

Audra is escaping a violent husband with her two young children in tow. Driving across the blistering, Arizona desert in seemingly the middle of nowhere, she’s pulled over by the local sheriff. With no explanation, she’s handcuffed and tossed in the back of his cruiser. Her children are whisked away by yet another officer. As Audra makes a desperate plea for her children,
Maureen
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Law enforcement officers wouldn't have anything to do with your children going missing would they? Well the corrupt officers in 'Here And Gone' would, as Audra Kinney is about to find out!

Audra is stopped by the local sherriff whilst travelling through Arizona. She and her two children are fleeing an abusive marriage, but she's about to face what can only be described as a mother's worst nightmare.

The sherriff takes her into custody on a flimsy jumped up charge and calls for another officer to t
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I've never read anything by Stuart Neville, I have no clue why he choose to write under a pen name for this one...but dammmmnn.
Now I want to read all his books.

I'm sure if you've seen my reviews you are seeing that I get a tad ticked off when all the newer thriller authors think that they have to have shocking twists in the story to make the reader stay interested. This book shows that you don't need that crud if you have the writing chops to just tell a story and keep the reader turning pag
Fran
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Audra Kinney with her children in tow; son Sean, eleven and daughter Louise,six, clutching stuffed bunny Gogo are on the run. Travelling from New York en route to new beginnings, the family stops at a roadside shop in the Arizona desert for drinks and snacks. Eighteen months ago, Audra had fled from abusive husband Patrick and is constantly looking over her shoulder. Patrick has now enlisted the help of Child Services in an attempt to obtain custody of both Sean and Louise. It is understandable ...more
Julie
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here and Gone by Haylen Beck is a 2017 Crown publishing group publication.

High octane-edge of your seat- suspense!!

Audra, with her two children in tow, is fleeing from her abusive husband. She’s riding through Arizona, basically in the middle of nowhere, when she’s pulled over for a minor infraction.

Before she knows it, she’s in handcuffs, and is being taken to jail, while her children are left in the care of a deputy.

Yet, when she arrives at the station, and her official questioning begins,
Carol
4+ Stars.

Creepy....Terrifying....Unsettling....are words that come to mind when describing the start of HERE AND GONE.

With Audra on the run from her abusive, control-freak husband, one nightmare turns into another when she is stopped for a traffic violation in rural Arizona and her children are abducted. (no spoiler here)

Fear soon turns to anguish and crime-mystery turns thriller as lies and brutality from the sheriff begin and a helpless mother's screams fill the air.

HERE AND GONE kept me hooke

Dem
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: penguin
Here and Gone by author Hayley Beck is what I would describe as a really good back to basics thriller that manages create suspense without the any gimmicks which for me is how a good thriller should read.

Audra has taken the plunge and finally made a decision that she thinks is best for her and her children after years of turmoil in her life she makes a long car journey to find a safe haven and to create a fresh start for her and her children, but stopped by a police car on an empty road in Arizo
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I really wanted to love this book because it sounds so good! I thought it was okay and the only reason for that was too many things were pretty obvious to me. And that's saying something because I'm not all that bright!

In the beginning, Audra is on the run with her kids, Sean and Louise. Audra has had enough from her husband and she's getting them out of there.

She is going down old country roads trying to keep off the main roads but then ends up in it when she runs into Sheriff Whiteside. He p
Norma
4 stars for another enjoyable and entertaining novel read with my Traveling Sisters Brenda, Lindsay and Kaceey!

HERE AND GONE by HAYLEN BECK is a gripping, intense, terrifying, and fast-paced suspenseful thriller that had me racing through those pages as fast as I could with my heart palpitating quickly all the way to that killer ending.

HAYLEN BECK delivers an extremely angst driven read here with an unsettling storyline that had me totally panic stricken for Audra and the safety of her children,
Lisa
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Audra Kinney has left her husband Patrick who is a psychopath, he abused her & finally Audra has packed the car with her children Sean 11 & Louise inside, she sticks to the back roads as she doesnt want to draw attention to herself, when suddenly a police van stops her the Sheriff searches her & finds some cannibis which she swears is not hers.

Then her worst nightmare begins her children are kidnapped she is taken prisoner but her sanity is compromised. Will she ever see her children again, i wo
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Traveling Sisters NetGalley Sister Review by Brenda with Norma, Lindsay, and Kaceey’s thoughts.

Here and Gone was a surprise and last minute read that we were able to come together and read as a Traveling Sister NetGalley Read.

Here and Gone is a haunting, unsettling and chilling story that drew us in shortly after meeting nervous and desperate Audra who is fleeing on a country isolated road. We were drawn into her life and her fears and then into her nightmare of losing her children in a heart s
Malia
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This was a fast-paced, clever thriller that was a quick, though not easy read. I usually stay away from books where children are the targets, but with this one I had heard it was such a page turner, I thought I would give it a try. I found it difficult and frustrating at times, because I didn't completely warm to Audra as a person, though I obviously wanted her to get her kids back! I thought it was clever to tell the story from multiple POVs and Beck did it well. I will definitely keep an eye o ...more
Suzanne
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another hold onto your seat fun ride. I have been reading a lot of books lately where the husband does deplorable things. This one takes the cake with some horrible abuse, providing pills and alcohol and creating one of the most horrible dependency you could imagine. Throw in a bitter, horrible mother in law (I guess that sets up for a typical Mummy syndrome) and you just want to strangle these horrible people!

Audra finally gets away from this monster mother and son duo, but her escape takes one
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
3.5 stars. This was a quick, gripping and fast-paced novel that I read along with my fantastic “sisters” Norma, Brenda and Kaceey. This story had an intensity to it that had me turning the pages as quickly as possible, curious to find out how it would all wrap up.

The storyline is frightening and highly disturbing! It is a terrifying, creepy, unsettling and nauseating plot that would be one of my worst nightmares as a mother. While reading thriller-type books together, my “sisters” and I often q
Imane
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
description

🌟4.25/5🌟
Wow, What an amazing read !
Audra is fleeing an abusive relationship, going down old country roads with her two kids Shawn and Louise, she gets pulled over by the local sheriff, and arrested for drug possession.
At the police station, Audra is afraid, and asks about her kids, but the sheriff claims that they were no children with her when he arrested her.

"Please," she said, unable to keep the quiver from her voice. "I've done everything you said. I've been cooperative. Please tell me wher
Carolyn
Can you imagine driving with your children and being pulled over by the local sheriff on a lonely Arizona road, taken into custody for a trumped up charge, your children not permitted to stay with you and then at the police station when you ask "Are my children safe?" being told "What children?"

This is the chilling nightmare that Audra Kinney finds herself living in Here and Gone. Locked in a cell she is unable to look for her children, make any phone calls or contact anyone. When the police dis
chan ☆
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
eh

the last 20% were thrilling, for sure. but there was absolutely no mystery here and the majority of this was just anxiety inducing. which if you're into, you might love this. but i was... mostly bored.

i read 13 thrillers in 13 days here's what happened
James Thane
This is a suspense novel written by the Irish crime writer, Stuart Neville, using the pen name "Haylen Beck." It's another of those cases where the author's real name and picture are featured on the cover, raising the issue of why the author even bothers with the pen name. Perhaps Neville wanted to distinguish between his other books, which are set in Ireland, and this one, which is set in the U.S, but I'm not really sure I see the point.

This is one of those books that's especially difficult to
Brenda
4.5s

With Audra in her car were her ten year old son Sean and six year old daughter Louise. They had been driving for some time; taking the back roads – fleeing Audra’s abusive husband – would she ever know peace? As they neared a turn off to settle for the night, Audra was pulled over by a local sheriff for a misdemeanour – and from that moment on, things went downhill fast. Before Audra knew it she’d been thrown in jail and her children had disappeared. But then the sheriff declared she was al
 Li'l Owl
Here and Gone was nerve wracking from the first page to the last with no chance of catching your breath in between!

Just when I thought all was going to be okay, Audra and her two children would be reunited,
another wave of OH!! NO NO NO! would come rolling in! I spent the whole day curled up in my chair reading it cover to cover!

If you are looking for a book that will put your heart in your throat, over and over and over again, this is the book for you!

This is the first novel I've read by Hay
Liz Barnsley
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh I LOVED this one. Well, you know, I use the word loved to mean it destroyed me and stole a few hours of my life then spat me out ragged the other side. One sitting, totally immersive, bang on the money thriller with heart. Just load up on the sugar and dive right in (the slight sugar rush might be running this review too)

So Here and Gone has a hugely emotional core, missing children, now in danger – of course its going to get you right by the throat. What helps that along and makes it so darn
RedemptionDenied
Dec 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
The Kindle edition is currently on offer: 0.99p in the UK, $1.32 (possibly) in the States and ..$14.99 in Canada.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

2.5 Stars

This one is set to disappear from the ol’ Kindle any second now, so I better puke something up real quick.

Here and Gone begins with Audra driving cross-country with her two young children in order to start a new life in California, far away from her controlling ex. When Audra gets pulled over by Barney Fife in the middle of BFE, her first concern is that she’s been reported for kidnapping. Her worries are put to rest when the
Frank Phillips
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now that's how you write a fast-paced, edge of your seat thriller! Lately I've found that I've been picking up a lot of books that have been dubbed thrillers but have fallen more into the horror/mystery categories so I was pleasantly pleased when I finally picked up a book that was as intense as advertised!
This book reads like one of my favorites, Harlan Coban, basically written almost conversationally which equals fast read & very hard to put down. The chapters all end on mini-cliffhangers so
Holly  B
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
An abused wife, Audra McKinney has decided to leave her husband and take their two children with her. Not having a long-term plan, she loads the car up and sets off to San Diego to stay with a friend.

This road trip is the beginning of every parents worst nightmare! She is pulled over by an evil and corrupt cop. He convinces her she has done something wrong and arrests her. He promises her the kids will be safe and a patrol officer is on her way to take them to a safe place.

After she is locked
Louise Wilson
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audra Kenney has escaped the abusive marriage she was in and is now trying to build her relationship with her children. En route to a friends house, while crossing Arizona, Audra is pulled over by Sheriff Whiteside. When searching her car he finds a bag of marijuana. He radios his colleague, Deputy Collins to come pick up her kids while Audra is taken into police custody, and her car is taken away for forensics. But when Audra asks later to see her children......

We explore a very serious subject
☮Karen
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A solid 4 star book.

Audra needs to get her children and herself away from her abusive a-hole of a husband, so she drives across country headed toward San Diego where a friend lives. Along the way in a cesspool of a town in Arizona, her son and daughter go missing and it's up to her to prove that she hasn't hurt them, that she wasn't responsible for their disappearance. It's just Audra, alone, against the world, which has already determined her guilty. Then hope arrives in the form of a dark stra
PattyMacDotComma
I read enough to know this is not for me. Mother escaping abusive husband, fleeing New York for California, gets waylaid by a sheriff wearing mirrored sunglasses, kids are snatched, and after some bone-crunching and brutality, we follow the kids to a secret, run-down cabin.

Then in another chapter, there's something to do with Chinese and the Tong. Then there's another bit about an internet forum, presumably older men talking about children.

And flashbacks to the apparently psycho so-and-so who

• Killer Choice
  • The Scent of Murder (Jazz Ramsey, #1)
  • The Dead Girl in 2A
  • Τσιχλόφουσκα
  • Blue Light Yokohama (Inspector Iwata, #1)
  • In a Book Club Far Away
  • Collared (Andy Carpenter, #16)
  • Ransom Road (Liars Island)
  • Τίποτε δεν χάνεται
  • Θα γίνω σκιά σου: Βασισμένο σε αληθινή ιστορία
  • Η πενθερά
  • Little White Lies
  • So Say the Fallen (DCI Serena Flanagan, #2)
  • Ανάρμοστον εστί
  • I Know Who You Are
  • Dear Child
  • Behind Her Eyes
  • Playing Nice
See top shelves…
HAYLEN BECK is the pseudonym of acclaimed, Edgar Award-nominated author Stuart Neville, whose crime fiction has won the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and made best-of-year lists with numerous publications, including the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, and the Boston Globe. His first Haylen Beck novel was Here and Gone.