The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - June 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6715 comments Mod
June is here. What's on your reading list this month?

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Wow, I have a chance at being first if someone doesn't beat me as I type.

Uncanny Magazine Issue 1: November/December 2014 - really good stories and some good non-fiction

Warbreaker, Part 3 of 3 - This audiobook version is amazing - like a radio-play

The Camelot Shadow - got free for review. SO far so good. Think Da Vinci code, but Victorian times

Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling - working my way through the science-y part.

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8142 comments I got The Hum and the Shiver and The Princess Diarist from the library, so they're next.

Also got three graphic novels in the mail, to be fit in when I need a book break. Astro City, Vol. 14: Reflections, Jessica Jones, Vol. 1: Uncaged! and the restart of Powers.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Trike wrote: "I got The Hum and the Shiver and The Princess Diarist from the library, so they're next.

Also got three graphic novels in the mail, to be fit in when I need a book ..."

Heard Ms Fisher talking about the Diarist. (I think? Did it come out before she passed?) Sounded pretty neat.

message 5: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) Space books and a recent watch of Only Angels Have Wings got me in the mood for some real life adventure reading, so I'm cracking open Beryl Markham's West with the Night and pairing it with Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's Wind, Sand and Stars, perhaps the most poetic and thrilling book ever written about delivering the mails.

West with the Night by Beryl Markham Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

message 6: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments At the end of last month my preorder for A Court of Wings and Ruin arrived and when I started it I realized I really wanted to just start the whole series again at the beginning. So I'm almost done re-reading book 2, then I'm devouring that. I just LOVE Sarah J Maas' characters and worlds. I'm tempted to do a reread of Throne of Glass now too. But before I jump into that... I also have the pick for this month, Lord of Shadows and Sins of Empire.

message 7: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments Keith wrote: "a recent watch of Only Angels Have Wings got me in the mood for some real life adventure reading"

I do love me some Jean Arthur. ♥

message 8: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments Eric wrote: "Heard Ms Fisher talking about the Diarist. (I think? Did it come out before she passed?) Sounded pretty neat."

Yes--it came out officially like a month before Carrie Fisher died. She was actually coming back from the European part of her book tour. :-( RIP.

message 9: by John (Taloni) (last edited Jun 01, 2017 10:41AM) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3857 comments Finished up the Hum and the Shiver and returned it to LA Public Library. Since it was available on one copy at the time I borrowed it, I figure there is a good chance an S&L-er is next. :)

Was fairly bored by THATS through the halfway mark. It picked up at about 3/4 of the way through. I am modestly interested in reading more but neither of my local libraries has it in ebook. Maybe later, I've got some Scalzi up next.

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Finished up the Hum and the Shiver and returned it to LA Public Library. Since it was available on one copy at the time I borrowed it, I figure there is a good chance an S&L-er is next. :)

Was fai..."

Collapsing Empire or something else?

message 11: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3857 comments Already read Collapsing Empire, and if you haven't yet, I highly recommend. Even though he stole parts of the transport system from Alastair Reynolds' "Merlin" stories. Was going to read Fuzzy Nation but that will expire soon - too many things jumped in front. Now on to After the Coup (and back to Fuzzy Nation as soon as I can get it.)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 227 comments I'm working on:
- Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman - enjoying it although the offerings are pretty uneven
- Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson - it's impressive when hard SF can be this entertaining
- A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge - I have high hopes for this one - it got off to a good start
- Rama II by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee - kind of boring in the beginning, hoping it picks up soon
- A Dance with Dragons by this guy George R.R. Martin - I'd really like to see some positive news on a Winds of Winter release date

message 13: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3857 comments I read all of the Rama followups and heartily recommend you drop them now. Aurora and Fire are both good books, spend your time there.

message 14: by Lariela (new)

Lariela | 79 comments I'm rereading Tongues of Serpents by Naomi Novik.

message 15: by Callum (new)

Callum Orr | 47 comments John I hope you enjoy fuzzy nation. I read it a year or so ago on a bit of a Scalzi stint and absolutely loved it. Absolutely full of his classic snappy writing style and humour.
I'm currently reading assassin's fate. And really enjoying it. Complete roller-coaster of emotions throughout. Haha. However despite the great reviews I do have some problems with it. But they are probably better suited to a spoiler thread.
I have all the birds in the sky lined up for my next book and can't wait for it, after all the praise for it of late.

message 16: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1134 comments Finished Armada by Ernest Cline. I always thought Ready Player One got a little too much praise. People (me included) loved the pop culture references but I thought the writing was pretty amateurish. Armada is heavy with the references again, although with a narrower focus, but I think the writing is better here. It seems to be well set up for a sequel as well.
Starting Shatner Rules: Your Guide to Understanding the Shatnerverse and the World at Large.

message 17: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 473 comments Making very slow progress on Walkaway which I started last month. Only about 25% through. The world building is fascinating, all very plausible (scarily so, you might say) but I'm still waiting for the story to grab me.

Also re-reading (or listening to) The Subtle Knife. It's about 10 years since I read this series and I genuinely can't remember 90% of what happens in the books. I'm finding that my ratings aren't quite so generous this time round.

message 18: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3857 comments Callum wrote: "John I hope you enjoy fuzzy nation. I read it a year or so ago on a bit of a Scalzi stint and absolutely loved it. Absolutely full of his classic snappy writing style and humour.
"

I'm about 100 pages in and it is a blast! Unfortunately it auto-returns to the library tonight. Then I'm 4th in line to get it back. I may just buy it, only $8.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 227 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "I read all of the Rama followups and heartily recommend you drop them now. Aurora and Fire are both good books, spend your time there."

Thanks John. I can see why you say that. It's been pretty dull so far - it took 100 pages just to get the mission off Earth. I'm guessing the true author is a bit more Lee than Clarke since Clarke would never spend this much time on characters and setting. I think I'll give it a bit more time before I toss it. It's interesting that a lot of people really dislike the Rama sequels but some folks just love them. The reviews seem to be very divided.

I'm definitely enjoying A Fire Upon the Deep and Aurora more at this point.

message 20: by Scott (new)

Scott | 86 comments Had a fun May, thanks Rob for recommending Sins of Empire, that was great! I liked The Collapsing Empire and book 1 in N. K. Jemisin's Dreamblood duology, and I thought Star's End by Cassandra Rose Clarke was really good. LWSAP was a light and entertaining read.
Now that it's June I am finishing up Hyperion, then I think I'll move on to Theft of Swords since I liked Age of Myth so much, I am looking forward to the next installment. Also on the list The Dragonbone Chair, With Blood Upon the Sand and maybe I will finally read some Robin Hobb. Also I have to recommend Wolf Moon, the first in the series was fantastic and this didn't let down my expectations.

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Scott wrote: "Had a fun May, thanks Rob for recommending Sins of Empire, that was great! I liked The Collapsing Empire and book 1 in N. K. Jemisin's Dreamblood duology, and I thou..."

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.

message 22: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1268 comments Just finished The Boy on the Bridge ★★★★☆. Even better than The Girl with all the Gifts. A very good story in the same Universe (there is only the slightest cross over with the first book).

Some of the character names are fun (view spoiler). Definitely recommended.

Now on to this months pick: The Hum and the Shiver.

message 23: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 468 comments Finally reading Shattered. I was going to read it a while back but one of my library holds came in so it was put on the back burner.

message 24: by Troy (new)

Troy | 85 comments I'm working my way through the Audible version of Pandora's Star. It slows to the point of my eyes crossing sometimes but it always picks back up and ties everything together, so I'm sticking with it.

message 25: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3857 comments On the subject of Pandora's Star:

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Troy (new)

Troy | 85 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "On the subject of Pandora's Star:

[spoilers removed]"

I read about that in the reviews, thanks though. I may have to wait to start Judas Unchained as I really like to get to the monthly pick as soon as possible.

message 27: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3857 comments Sure. The month's pick is 350 pages. I whipped through it in a few days. It would be a good break between sections of the massive tomes known as Peter Hamilton books.

message 28: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8142 comments "I really hate that guy. Where can I find some ebola to give to him?"
"If you *really* hate him, give him a Peter Hamilton book to read."

message 29: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3857 comments On the plus side for that scenario, Trike, the victim WILL have something to occupy his time while in the hospital.

message 30: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2446 comments Has anybody read anything by Jeff Wheeler? His books keep coming up on sales and other recommended lists so I was wondering if they are any good.

message 31: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 312 comments AndrewP wrote: "Has anybody read anything by Jeff Wheeler? His books keep coming up on sales and other recommended lists so I was wondering if they are any good."

I've listened to both the first Muirwood trilogy and the first Kingfountain trilogy. Kate Rudd narrated all of them.

I enjoyed both series and worlds. For me they fell into the category of interesting stories and a nice escape from the real world to somewhere else. Each series had a few issues with things being too "neatly" resolved, but it didn't ruin my enjoyment in any significant way.

message 32: by Rob, Roberator (new)

AndrewP wrote: "Has anybody read anything by Jeff Wheeler? His books keep coming up on sales and other recommended lists so I was wondering if they are any good."

I read his original Muirwood trilogy a few years back when I got review copies. It appears he's written more in that series now. They were alright. I liked the second book the best of the three.

The Wretched of Muirwood - My review
The Blight of Muirwood - My review
The Scourge of Muirwood - My review

Also, I'm not sure if all his books are heavy on the Christian allegory, but those three definitely were. Not really my cup of tea, personally. I talk about that a bit in the review for the 3rd book.

I have been a bit curious to see what his other Muirwood books have been about..but I have too many other things ahead of it on the list. Maybe one day.

message 33: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3857 comments Callum wrote: "John I hope you enjoy fuzzy nation. I read it a year or so ago on a bit of a Scalzi stint and absolutely loved it. Absolutely full of his classic snappy writing style and humour. "

I bought it after it auto-returned to the library and just finished it. Great book, well worth the purchase. Up there among Scalzi's best. While mostly a lighthearted take, there is a poignant moment of tragedy that took me by surprise. It was necessary for the story, but still hits you in the gut.

message 34: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2446 comments Thanks Sheila Jean and Rob. These sound like solid 'feel good' fantasy, lot's of tropes and a bit predictable. I think I will skip them for now as I have Theft of Swords sitting on my shelf and I think that may be better.

message 35: by Rob, Roberator (new)

AndrewP wrote: "Thanks Sheila Jean and Rob. These sound like solid 'feel good' fantasy, lot's of tropes and a bit predictable. I think I will skip them for now as I have Theft of Swords sitting on ..."

In my opinion that's a far better choice. That series got better with every book too.

message 36: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I'm catching up a bit on my book reviews:

I finished listening to Knife of Dreams as my Wheel of Time audio re-read is nearing it's end. It was just as good as I remember: ★★★★☆ - (My Review)

My hold from the library for Saga, Vol. 7 finally came in, and that was yet again another solid entry. Now to wait for volume 8. ★★★★☆ - (My Review)

Finally, thanks in part to a BOGO sale on audible I finally listened to We Are Legion (We Are Bob) and very much enjoyed it. So much so that I'm nearly done with the sequel already. I know a few others have been talking this series up recently, so consider this me adding my voice to theirs. ★★★★☆ - (My Review)

message 37: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2775 comments The new Richard Kadrey, The Kill Society is out Tuesday so that's on the list. Right now, dabbling in the stories in Engineering Infinity and reading Seven Brief Lessons on Physics off and on. Starting What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer Industry tonight.

message 38: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments I finished up Fight and Flight last night. It was ok, but maybe an hour too long. I still liked it well enough, but it wasn't as good as the rest of the series.

This morning, I started Heat Storm. I would very much like to know who's writing under the Richard Castle alias. I think this is the last book in the series, but I could be wrong. Maybe at some point I'll also read the Derrick Storm books.

I'm also reading The Blood Mirror which has lost my attention for now, after grabbing me at the start. I just need to dedicate time to it.

And soon I'll start The Hum and the Shiver.

message 39: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 312 comments Rob wrote: "AndrewP wrote: "Thanks Sheila Jean and Rob. These sound like solid 'feel good' fantasy, lot's of tropes and a bit predictable. I think I will skip them for now as I have [book:Theft of Swords|10790..."

I agree with Rob on this one the Riyria books are much better. Hope you enjoy!

message 40: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8142 comments I quite liked Theft of Swords. I split the omnibus into its two original books for counting on my various Goodreads lists.

message 41: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8142 comments Based on the discussion in the thread about Most Dangerous City, I picked up The Stepford Wives. The book is so slim, it's more like a pamphlet.

Also got The Only Child, which sounds like it might be a Fantasy, but it was shelved with the regular lit. Could be metaphorical. Coin flip.

message 42: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments While waiting for the group BotM to arrive at the library, I'm reading Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt. Commute book is The Darwin Economy: Liberty, Competition, and the Common Good.

Bit of a them there, innit.

message 43: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1134 comments Finished Shatner Rules: Your Guide to Understanding the Shatnerverse and the World at Large by William Shatner with Chris Regan. This is a quick, amusing, autobiographical read although it does take a few abrupt turns in tone. It would make a good bathroom book.
Starting The Hum and the Shiver.

message 44: by Callum (new)

Callum Orr | 47 comments John, yeah I know exact what you mean. I love all of Scalzis books, but was shocked how much I enjoyed fuzzy nation. It was a real light hearted romp full of laughs and a main protagonist that you were always rooting for despite the fact that he was abit of a prick. I think this made me feel more connected to all of the characters and just fall in love with the whole story..... Which like u say made that kick all the more felt. Great book.

message 45: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa (djotaku) | 617 comments Just started Elantris, Part 1 of 3 this morning. Notable parallels in themes with Warbreaker - normals being struck with divinity and a kingdom of former glory being on hard times. If I also enjoy this one, I'll probably be continuing with the Cosmere.

message 46: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Nagy | 379 comments Finished Memories it's a lit-rpg...with basically no fighting or stats and is basically about depression and loss I liked it quite alot. ★★★★☆

Fight and Flight ★★★☆☆ It was good probably the weakest one of the bunch along with 2.

Paradise ★★★☆☆ The formula is getting a bit old for me but it's still fun and good, and the bad day at the office was one of the best scenes in the series for me.

Mogworld ★★★☆☆ A bit too meta, but still enjoyable and fun I think I liked the other work of his better.

The Feedback Loop ★★★☆☆ What even is this and how did this happen, I liked this book and I'm almost done with the next one Steampunk is Dead but I can't say these books are good just trash I'm enjoying.

message 47: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2446 comments Trike wrote: "I quite liked Theft of Swords. I split the omnibus into its two original books for counting on my various Goodreads lists."

I will probably do that too as I like to have books listed by original publication titles the way the author intended.

message 48: by Dara (last edited Jun 05, 2017 10:34AM) (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Finished my re-read of Royal Assassin this weekend. My review. Moving on to Assassin's Quest. Should be an interesting read. I threw it against the wall when I finished it last time.

message 49: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8142 comments Dara wrote: "Finished my re-read of Royal Assassin this weekend. My review. Moving on to Assassin's Quest. Should be an interesting read. I threw it against the wall when I finished it last time."

You're rereading a book you hated? Color me perplexed.

message 50: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Trike wrote: "Dara wrote: "Finished my re-read of Royal Assassin this weekend. My review. Moving on to Assassin's Quest. Should be an interesting read. I threw it against the wall whe..."

Yeah, haha. I think I'll feel different about it this time around. I have to finish the trilogy. Robin Hobb has become my favorite writer over the years so I think I'll be more forgiving. Or I'm a masochist. We shall see!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.