Review Group discussion

Finished rounds > Group 142. Out of this world. Mod Scott

Comments Showing 1-50 of 164 (164 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:40AM) (new)

Emma Jaye | 4039 comments Mod
The review group is the most successful group for peer reviews on goodreads. It hosts non-reciprocal reading/review rounds of ten authors with a variety of themes and genres, as well as ‘general’ rounds where any book is permitted, from non-fiction, to horror. When a round has ‘now forming’ in the title, there are places available, you can sign up. If it doesn’t, it’s full – look for another round.
The new amazon rules state that authors/publishers are no longer allowed to specifically supply published books in return for reviews on amazon. To comply with this new rule, we no longer insist members review on amazon. However, we are all in the same situation, we want reviews.
When sorting out groups, I prioritise those members who have fully participated in previous groups and don’t have multiple review connections with the other participants.

This is an out of this world round
This round is for adult fiction classified as scifi, fantasy, dystopian and paranormal/supernatural on amazon.

If you are only willing to review your own preferred genre, make sure you join a genre round. Allocation is entirely random and there will NOT be any rearranging of the listing to accommodate personal preference. The ONLY circumstance in which you may duck out of giving a review is if YOU provide a stand-in reviewer.
Let’s be honest here – we don’t all like the same things but we all want reviews. The only way this group can function is if we trust each other to behave honourably. And it IS perfectly possible to give a fair-minded review of a text that does not coincide with our normal choice of reading matter. If you need a few hints/tips, please see this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Now for the boring stuff, but please read it, it saves a lot of time if everyone is on the same wavelength.
Before signing up below with your goodreads author and goodreads book link in the thread below, please ensure that:
1. You have enough time to read and review 4 books within the time allowed.

2. Your book is currently available for sale on amazon (not pre-order) and it complies with the individual round theme, if there is one.

3. Your book is fit to be reviewed. If it is not, due to editing or other issues, you risk poor reviews. This is your problem, not that of the reviewers or the groups. For a small fee, the group admin will look at the first few pages of your book to advise. The number one error new authors make is not having their book beta read and edited, by non-family members.

4. You can submit reviews to goodreads, amazon.com and amazon.uk. Amazon has recently changed their criteria for reviewers to allow only those people who have spent $50 on amazon. If you are unsure about your amazon reviewer status, try posting a ‘test’ review before signing up.

5. You can provide (and accept) at least PDF files. Many authors can also provide mobi and epub files. You are not expected or required to buy the books you are allocated to review. Some authors borrow books via KU and others provide smashwords coupons. This is their choice. International Copyright laws apply. You cannot sell, or give away material you have received without the author’s express permission.

6. It is up to individuals what disclaimers they place in a review concerning receiving a book in exchange for a review. Note: reviews that state you received a copy ‘IN RETURN’ for a review will probably be removed/not allowed by amazon.com. ‘I received a free copy from the author without an obligation to review’ would be more acceptable if you feel the need to add a disclaimer.

7. You have completed your reading if you are currently in another review round in this group. You can be involved in the ‘one for one’ list whilst you are in a round.

8. You have an author profile set up before you join.

9. Your goodreads profile allows people to message you, i.e. your profile is not set to private.

10. You declare any relationship you have with another member in the round. Amazon will not allow reviews from the same household on the same book or if you are an editor, relative or close friend of another member.

11. You agree that your reviews will be unbiased and honest, whatever the star rating, and you will try to avoid ‘spoilers’. i.e. giving away the finale of a book.

12. You will not ask a fellow author to change a review of your book because you don’t agree with it. If you think you have a legitimate concern, talk to the mod of your round, NOT the other author. Personal attacks, or pressurising other members WILL NOT BE TOLERATED and will result in you being blacklisted.

13. The new amazon.com review guidelines do not allow for free books to be supplied in return for reviews. Therefore, you are not obliged to review on amazon, just on goodreads. We all want reviews, its why we joined the group. It is bad taste to expect other people to review your book and then not do the same for other people in the group. People that DNF and/or don’t post reviews will find it difficult to get into a subsequent group.

14. Your goodreads details and the rounds you participate in will be recorded by the admin mod on a database. We do not retain details of email addresses etc.

The founding principle of the group is honest, non-reciprocal reviews, so please help maintain the integrity of the group by letting me know as you sign up if you have been reviewed by, or have reviewed another author in the group. Usually places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
I will do my best to fit everyone into the group they request, but occasionally, particularly in the case of our more prolific good standing members, I may have to decline a member request to fit the maximum number of people into a particular round. I will always endeavour to start another round as soon as possible with that member in mind.
It is permissible to review an author more than once if a different book is available.
If you need anything clarified please ask, either by goodreads personal message to me or on the thread below, before signing up. It’s a pain to have to keep rearranging the list because people haven’t read the above.

Your group moderator will be
Scott Spotson

Member Links
1.Scott Spotson
2.Darrell B. Nelson
3.J.D. Wilde
4.Leon Huet
5.Brent A. Harris
6.Courtney Shepard
7.Watson Davis
8.Dale Rutter
9.B. Stadelmann
10.Isabella Bedi

Book Links
1.Life II
2.The Genocide Game
3.The Dragon's Empire
4.A Life Worth the Fleeting Suns
5.Tales of Wonder
6.Unbalanced
7.FountainCorp Security
8.The Accidental Cannibal
9.The City of God
10.Maya

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Happy to be both mod and member. Sign me up with my book, Life II. Thanks.

Life II

message 4: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Darrell, have you reviewed or been reviewed by Scott?

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments I've reviewed Darrell before. Different book, so I can review this one, if necessary. Darrell can't review me.

message 6: by Darrell (new)

Darrell Nelson | 313 comments Cool,
So far in this group, only one conflict that is easily resolved.

message 7: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Piper | 197 comments Hi,
I'd like to sign up for this group. I have several books that can be reviewed, but since I can only post one here, I'll post Grounded, a Dragon's Tale. Nevertheless any of my other books can be reviewed.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I've reviewed Scott Spotson, but not the book he has listed.

message 8: by Darrell (new)

Darrell Nelson | 313 comments Before you ask, I've reviewed Gloria's Grounded, a Dragon's Tale. I believe she has some books I haven't reviewed.

message 9: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Fitted you in Gloria.

message 10: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Wilde | 20 comments Hi Emma and Scott!

I'd like to join this group with The Dragon's Empire if I can. I know it says adult fiction, and my book is more young/ new adult then adult. Let me know if this isn't all right. I can't have Scott review mine, but I can review his. No other conflicts noted.

Author profile: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
Book:

I've read the rules and agree to them :)

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Hi J.D. and welcome. Since I've reviewed this book before, you can't review any of mine, unfortunately, but I see you have another book I can review. Fortunately, there'll be three other people in this group who can review your desired book, so you'll mostly get the specific attention you want.

message 12: by Dale (new)

Dale Rutter | 43 comments Hi!
I'm new to this but I would like to sign up please? The Accidental Cannibal

message 13: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Shepard | 7 comments I would love to join this group and submit Unbalanced. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 14: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Wilde | 20 comments Scott wrote: "Hi J.D. and welcome. Since I've reviewed this book before, you can't review any of mine, unfortunately, but I see you have another book I can review. Fortunately, there'll be three other people in ..."

I would rather my other book not be reviewed as I know it is not in the best shape, but if it can't be avoided, then so be. Looking forward to getting to be involved in another round of these.

message 15: by Brett (new)

Brett Stadelmann (brettstadelmann) | 31 comments Hi guys,
Please sign me up with "The City of God"

No conflicts.

Cheers,
Brett Stadelmann

message 16: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Might as well shine the light on your new book, J.D., and shake it up a bit! I'll be constructive.

message 17: by Darrell (new)

Darrell Nelson | 313 comments Scott, Emma,
You won't believe this but I have no conflicts with the last four authors.

message 18: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Leon is a refugee from 143. I'll add him in but please mention any clashes ASAP.
Sign me up please! My novel A Life Worth the Fleeting Suns is a sci-fi suspense.

I have read and agree with the rules.

Thanks very much.

message 19: by Chrys (new)

Chrys Cymri | 392 comments Mod
Hi, I'd like to sign up with 'The Temptation of Dragons'.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I've reviewed Scott in the past, but not the book he's listed this time.

Both Gloria and Darrell reviewed ToD, but I can offer them other books to read.

I don't think I have any other conflicts, I've had a quick look at the reivews of my novel just to check.

Chrys Cymri

message 20: by Leon (new)

Leon Huet | 12 comments Hi Emma and Scott. Brett and I have reviewed each other's novels. No other clashes. Thanks,

message 21: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Sorry Chrys, with the positions the others have to hold to fit together, I can't fit you in.

message 22: by Chrys (new)

Chrys Cymri | 392 comments Mod
Hi Emma

Fair enough, it was bound to happen eventually!

message 23: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

I'll be starting up a general and an 18+ when some of these ones are up and running.

message 24: by Darrell (new)

Darrell Nelson | 313 comments Emma wrote: "I'll be starting up a general and an 18+ when some of these ones are up and running."

"A General and an 18+" is an awesome title for an erotic thriller.

message 25: by Watson (new)

Watson Davis (watson_davis) | 48 comments OK, I haven't really used GoodReads much before this, but I'd like to join this review group.

I'd like to join up with FountainCorp Security:
This is a military science fiction, female protag story.

message 26: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Can you claim your author page Watson? it makes it much easier for people to contact you.

Only one to find now. Exciting isn't it!

message 27: by Watson (new)

Watson Davis (watson_davis) | 48 comments Hi, Emma. I have claimed myself.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 28: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Lovely. Now doesn't that feel better?

message 29: by Brett (new)

Brett Stadelmann (brettstadelmann) | 31 comments FYI, I'm a clash with Leon.

Welcome, Leon!

message 30: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Yep, I've kept you two apart.

message 31: by Watson (new)

Watson Davis (watson_davis) | 48 comments Emma wrote: "Lovely. Now doesn't that feel better?"

I feel all warm and tingly!

message 32: by Brent (new)

Brent Harris | 23 comments I'm throwing in my hat to join the last spot with Tales of Wonder, though looking at the list I see a conflict with Scott. I have to check with Leo McBride to see if there are any other conflicts (Wonder is an anthology and we are both in it).

message 33: by Brent (new)

Brent Harris | 23 comments I've checked and both Gloria Piper and Darrel Nelson have reviewed Wonder. I can suggest Tales from Alternate Earths or Tales from the Universe instead, but I'm pretty sure Scott has reviewed all three.

message 34: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Has Scott reviewed you?

message 35: by Brent (new)

Brent Harris | 23 comments Scott has reviewed me.

message 36: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Correct but I have not yet reviewed Tales of Wonder. Whew.

message 37: by Brent (new)

Brent Harris | 23 comments Lol. Bullet dodged!

message 38: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited May 31, 2017 11:58AM) (new)

I think I can swop Dale to number 8 and put Brent in Five, which would mean Scott reviews him, so does Darrel and he and Gloria don't meet.

Its ALIVE!

I'll sort out the order in the morning.
Brain had now shut down.

message 39: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Hurrah!

message 40: by Leon (new)

Leon Huet | 12 comments Brett wrote: "FYI, I'm a clash with Leon.

Welcome, Leon!"

Cheers, Brett. Glad to have found refuge.

message 41: by Brent (new)

Brent Harris | 23 comments Thanks Emma, much appreciated. Though the book to be reviewed might be wrong, I think. Tales of Wonder, rather than Tales from Alternate Earths. Many thanks!

message 42: by Stephanie (last edited May 31, 2017 07:43PM) (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 29 comments Are you full already or can I still jump in? Gloria has reviewed me, and I have reviewed Scott Spotson. And I've read Alternate Earths and mean to review it so I would be very happy to get that and would refuse to be reviewed by them as I've promised them a review. Sorry, so slow on the Alternate Earths review but I've been distracted by running an opera house. Toru: Wayfarer Returns Toru Wayfarer Returns (Sakura Steam #1) by Stephanie R. Sorensen Stephanie R. Sorensen

message 43: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

This one is full Stephanie, try 143.

message 44: by Emma, Group Admin (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:49AM) (new)

Ready steady go

START DATE: 1st June.

END DATE: 24- Aug

Round 1 – post your review by 22-Jun-17
Round 2 – post your review by 13-Jul-17
Round 3 – post your review by 03-Aug-17
Round 4 – post your review by 24-Aug-17

As AUTHORS you send your book file to:

142-01__ Scott Spotson
Isabella Bedi for round 1
B. Stadelmann for round 2
Dale Rutter for round 3
Watson Davis for round 4

142-02__ Darrell B Nelson
Scott Spotson for round 1
Isabella Bedi for round 2
B. Stadelmann for round 3
Dale Rutter for round 4

142-03__ J.D. Wilde
Darrell B Nelson for round 1
Scott Spotson for round 2
Isabella Bedi for round 3
B. Stadelmann for round 4

142-04__ Leon Huet
J.D. Wilde for round 1
Darrell B Nelson for round 2
Scott Spotson for round 3
Isabella Bedi for round 4

142-05__ Brent A. Harris
Leon Huet for round 1
J.D. Wilde for round 2
Darrell B Nelson for round 3
Scott Spotson for round 4

142-06__ Courtney Shepard
Brent A. Harris for round 1
Leon Huet for round 2
J.D. Wilde for round 3
Darrell B Nelson for round 4

142-07__ Watson Davis
Courtney Shepard for round 1
Brent A. Harris for round 2
Leon Huet for round 3
J.D. Wilde for round 4

142-08__ Dale Rutter
Watson Davis for round 1
Courtney Shepard for round 2
Brent A. Harris for round 3
Leon Huet for round 4

142-09__ B. Stadelmann
Dale Rutter for round 1
Watson Davis for round 2
Courtney Shepard for round 3
Brent A. Harris for round 4

142-10__ Isabella Bedi
B. Stadelmann for round 1
Dale Rutter for round 2
Watson Davis for round 3
Courtney Shepard for round 4

As REVIEWERS you will receive books for review from:

142-01__ Scott Spotson
Darrell B Nelson for round 1
J.D. Wilde for round 2
Leon Huet for round 3
Brent A. Harris for round 4

142-02__ Darrell B Nelson
J.D. Wilde for round 1
Leon Huet for round 2
Brent A. Harris for round 3
Courtney Shepard for round 4

142-03__ J.D. Wilde
Leon Huet for round 1
Brent A. Harris for round 2
Courtney Shepard for round 3
Watson Davis for round 4

142-04__ Leon Huet
Brent A. Harris for round 1
Courtney Shepard for round 2
Watson Davis for round 3
Dale Rutter for round 4

142-05__ Brent A. Harris
Courtney Shepard for round 1
Watson Davis for round 2
Dale Rutter for round 3
B. Stadelmann for round 4

142-06__ Courtney Shepard
Watson Davis for round 1
Dale Rutter for round 2
B. Stadelmann for round 3
Isabella Bedi for round 4

142-07__ Watson Davis
Dale Rutter for round 1
B. Stadelmann for round 2
Isabella Bedi for round 3
Scott Spotson for round 4

142-08__ Dale Rutter
B. Stadelmann for round 1
Isabella Bedi for round 2
Scott Spotson for round 3
Darrell B Nelson for round 4

142-09__ B. Stadelmann
Isabella Bedi for round 1
Scott Spotson for round 2
Darrell B Nelson for round 3
J.D. Wilde for round 4

142-10__ Isabella Bedi
Scott Spotson for round 1
Darrell B Nelson for round 2
J.D. Wilde for round 3
Leon Huet for round 4

Please remember the commitment you are making to your fellow group members. If you pull out after the start date for any reason it is the other members who will be faced with the problem of finding a replacement, or missing out on reads/reviews, through no fault of their own. Please don’t ask the moderators to chase after replacements as we just don’t have the time.

It is the responsibility of the author to get their book to their readers in a format the reviewer can manage. Everyone must be able to provide and accept PDF. You may buy or borrow the books you are due to read if you wish, and I’m sure the author will appreciate the verified review, but IT IS NOT COMPULSORY. There are no set dates for the start of each round. You can each work at your own pace, within the limits of the round deadlines.

All reviews must be posted to GR. We also encourage members to post on amazon .com and .uk. When you have posted your reviews, please post the three links to your reviews, not the book page in this thread.
The mod of each round will record whether members have posted reviews on amazon. I set up all the groups, and for the good of all, members who persistently fail to post reviews or DNF reviews to amazon, will find me less than willing to add them to subsequent groups.

Postings to other sites are by agreement by both author and reviewer.

If I’ve missed something that results in you being asked to review someone who has already reviewed you, please let me know asap.

To exchange book files, my advice is to use PM to give email addresses to each other (save the chance of spammers getting your addies from this open forum). Happy reviewing, everyone :)

message 45: by Scott (new)

Scott Spotson (scottspotson) | 794 comments Hi everyone, what more can I say? But if any problem, send me a message. Happy reading!

message 46: by Darrell (new)

Darrell Nelson | 313 comments Sorry Emma,
I've reviewed 3 of Gloria's books. Two of them I gave high ratings.

message 47: by Darrell (last edited Jun 01, 2017 05:27AM) (new)

Darrell Nelson | 313 comments BTW
I wanted to point out some easily fixed pet peeves of mine. The sort of thing that can be fixed quickly before sending a book to me.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 48: by Emma, Group Admin (new)

Ugh.....

Head is coming into contact with brick wall. As Gloria signed up after Darrel, I'm afraid Gloria will have to wait or see if she can fit into the still open 143.

I'll ask the newest member of 143 if she wants to start in here as she is new to the review group.

message 49: by Darrell (new)

Darrell Nelson | 313 comments Before your head goes completely through the wall, I've reviewed Tales of Wonder already, but not Tales of Alternate Earths. That should be an easy fix.

message 50: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Bedi | 14 comments Hi everyone,

I've been asked to join this group from 143. My book is called Maya Isabella Bedi.

Thanks

Isabella :-)

« previous 1 3 4