And Then There Were None
This topic is about And Then There Were None
2017 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Eunice, Daph & Jaylee - And Then There Were None

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 5 stars

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5344 comments Mod
Eunice, Daph & Jaylee - And Then There Were None

D.L. | 418 comments Thanks for setting up this thread! I saw the old black & white movie but have never read the book so this is exciting for me. The book, meanwhile, has been woefully sitting untouched on my book shelf for years so this is the perfect excuse to read it. PLUS my local book club is discussing it next month too so.. kismet lol

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, it has been in my to read list for the longest. I just recently checked it out from my local library

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Should we have a schedule of sorts for when things should be read and discussed?

Eunice | 340 comments You mean like we assign a part of the book to a day

D.L. | 418 comments jaylee wrote: "Should we have a schedule of sorts for when things should be read and discussed?"

That would be great. In my copy there are 16 (XVI) chapters and an epilogue. It has 204 pages total. It might be easier to break it up by chapters?? Maybe? lol

D.L. | 418 comments We could may be do a schedule like this if works:

Read:
4 chapters - week 1
4 chapters - week 2
4 chapters - week 3
4 chapters + epilogue - week 4

Just a thought, though we don't have to necessarily stick to the schedule. It's up to you.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a great suggestion. When should we start and when should our discussions be?

D.L. | 418 comments You 2 decide what works best and I'll come along for the ride. I am free most of the time this summer. :)

Eunice | 340 comments We could start when June starts since we'll be reading it from week one to four. And maybe we could set discussions to be during the weekends?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, that's fine with me. I'm already out for summer break.

message 12: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments That sounds great. I am excited to start reading!

message 13: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Looking forward to discussing the first 4 chapters this weekend! I will start reading tonight probably.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Daph wrote: "Looking forward to discussing the first 4 chapters this weekend! I will start reading tonight probably."

Same for me.

Eunice | 340 comments I probably will too though I still have others books to finish.

Eunice | 340 comments I can't remember all of the characters even after 4 chapters. I had to go back and forth to check who is who.

I couldn't just stop after Anthony died just like that so I read ahead a bit. Did you understand how Anthony died? I'm a bit confused as to how that happened.

message 17: by D.L. (last edited Jun 03, 2017 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Hey there. I just finished chapter 2 and I am lost on who all the characters are lol Who is Anthony? I don't remember him at all. I will finish the next 2 parts within the hour, I'd say.

Interestingly and disturbingly enough, I realized I have a really old copy. Why it's weird is that I know that Agatha's reprinted books were mostly wiped of racial slurs in recent years by publishers but in this copy there have already been several crude terms used, including "the N word"! Crazy!

Will share my thoughts when I finish Ch 3 & 4! Hope you're liking the book. I am a bit confused so far. The movie was much easier to follow lol

Eunice | 340 comments There wasn't much about Anthony in the introduction except that he was broke and he would be paid money if he went to Soldier Island.

message 19: by D.L. (last edited Jun 03, 2017 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Eunice wrote: "There wasn't much about Anthony in the introduction except that he was broke and he would be paid money if he went to Soldier Island."

Ah ok. I got more familiar with the characters a bit. I believe I know how Anthony died. I believe it follows the "Ten Little Indians" poem mentioned in chapter 2. The first line goes:

Ten little Indians went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine

So I am thinking something was in his drink. It's really hard not to read ahead; I may not be able to stop myself from doing so. I already took a peek at chapter 5 haha

Eunice | 340 comments Daph wrote: "Eunice wrote: "There wasn't much about Anthony in the introduction except that he was broke and he would be paid money if he went to Soldier Island."

Ah ok. I got more familiar with the characters..."

Me too! I also took a peak. I don't think I'd get any peace if I just stopped at Chapter 4.

Yes, I got that. He most likely did die from poison in his drink, but the question would be how it was put in his drink. Everyone else was fine. Why was it only him that died? It would have to be put directly into his cup and the other guests wouldn't have reason to do so since they just met each other.

message 21: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Eunice wrote: "Daph wrote: "Eunice wrote: "There wasn't much about Anthony in the introduction except that he was broke and he would be paid money if he went to Soldier Island."

Ah ok. I got more familiar with t..."

That's a good question. I can't remember much from the movie so I have absolutely no idea how it got into just his drink. I doubt it was random either. I am sure he was meant to be the first to die though. It was no coincidence. But who could have dunnit? Maybe Mr. Rogers? He had the most opportunity. No clue but whenever I read Mr. Rogers I think of the man from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood from my childhood lol Odd but true.

message 22: by Eunice (last edited Jun 03, 2017 07:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eunice | 340 comments I feel a detective or conspiracy theorist or something. XD

He could be. He might have been ordered by Mr. Owens, but he seems like the nervous type. I don't think he'd have the courage to do so.

message 23: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Eunice wrote: "I feel a detective or conspiracy theorist or something. XD

He could be. He might have been ordered by Mr. Owens, but he seems like the nervous type. I don't think he'd have the courage to do so."

LOL yeah we're detectives or as the saying goes: Armchair Sleuths :) And good point about Rogers. I am most curious about Mr. Owens!

Eunice | 340 comments Who wouldn't be? He's a complete enigma to all of them. Wonder what grudge he has against them? Or if he just picked them randomly from the possibly large list of people who caused other people's death.

message 25: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Eunice wrote: "Who wouldn't be? He's a complete enigma to all of them. Wonder what grudge he has against them? Or if he just picked them randomly from the possibly large list of people who caused other people's d..."

Yes they all have causing someone's death in common but I wonder if there's some other link between them yet to be revealed. I am not sure I trust anyone at that "party" just yet haha

I noticed (was it Mr. Lombard?) was so blase about leaving multiple people to die. He didn't seem to feel even an ounce of guilt for it at all whereas the others seemed a bit more contrite - sorta. The only one not telling what they did is Miss Brent, I think. I wonder how she caused the death of someone.

Eunice | 340 comments I know. He's a bit of a lawyer stereotype, isn't he? Ruthless and would do everything to win a case.

All we can do at this point is wonder at why and how things will happen in the book.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, guys. I'm a little late to the party, but I would just like to say I do not trust Mrs. Brent. She appears to be the backstabbing type. Also, I believe Vera is not guilty of the crime she was accused of in the gramophone. I mean, what could she do?

I am having trouble keeping up with the narratives as well. Good thing there will be fewer characters when they start dying off... (just kidding lol)

Eunice | 340 comments But Vera was having a guilty moment in the introduction. That would mean that she is involved in a death, but it was probably just a accident. Drowning, I think, based on the first chapter. She was saying that she couldn't make it so maybe she was trying to save him?

That last part though. I can't deny that I thought of that too.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha. We have already gotten rid of one. 9 more soldier boys to go.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm kinda glad Anthony died, though. I do not like the "live fast, die young" type of characters.

message 31: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Good thing there will be fewer characters when they start dying off... (just kidding lol)

Too funny! Yes, let's cull the herd! I am so glad we're discussing this. I've had the book for the longgggest time just sitting on my shelf collecting dust and am glad I can put it on my complete list soon :)

As for Miss Brent, she's a dodgy type. I don't think we can trust her either. Heck, I don't trust any of them lol

message 32: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments I will try to read the next 4 chapters tonight or tomorrow. I want to dig deeper into the mystery. I have been thinking about it all week lol

message 33: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Read Chapters 5-8 this afternoon while the house was all empty (everyone went shopping but me lol)!

We learned that the "guests" (the 8 that remain) really are all alone on the island. Which meannnss (dramatic pause!) one of them is the killer, right? But who can it be and why? Is one of them Mr. Owen in disguise?

Who will die next I wonder? Someone has to, to keep the plot and suspense moving. Mr. Rogers... He's the only one I really feel sorry for. I liked Vera until she said in my copy anyway that what Lombard did wasn't bad because the people he left behind to die were black. WTH, girl? Racist!

Now we know also what Miss Brent did. What a saintly meanie right? I want her to be the next to go hehe I mean its fiction so no harm in saying that.

What do you all think of the goings-on so far?

Eunice | 340 comments Ms. Brent has this I'm-holier-than-thou attitude just because she prays everyday and thinks herself closer to God. It's pretty annoying. If she were alive in this century, she'd be one of those people insulting the LGBT community.

The killer is probably someone we never would've expected so maybe we can rule out the ruthless people. I don't even know what to think. How can one of them be the killer? Unless the introductions were blatantly lying to our faces, they were all invited to the island.

And Vera being racist? Wow, it's completely different in my copy. I don't remember her talking to Lombard except during mealtimes. I read the 4 chapters a few days ago. But in her POV, she doesn't agree with Lombard because those black people are still people.

message 35: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Eunice wrote: "Ms. Brent has this I'm-holier-than-thou attitude just because she prays everyday and thinks herself closer to God. It's pretty annoying. If she were alive in this century, she'd be one of those peo..."

Yep! I think I must a really, really old copy (got it at a library sale ages ago) because there is even The N word in it! Which shocked me.

This is exactly what mine says in one of the chapters:

Emily Brent's brow, which had been frowning perplexedly, cleared.

She said:
"Ah, I understand you now. Well, there is that Mr. Lombard. He admits to having abandoned twenty men to their deaths."

Vera said:
"They were only natives..."

Emily Brent said sharply:
"Black or white, they are our brothers."

Vera thought:
"Our black brothers - our black brothers. Oh, I'm going to laugh. I'm hysterical. I'm not myself..."

It shocked me cause later Vera was so horrified by what Ms. Brent did to the girl who worked for her, and understandably so. It just seems they reversed characters for a moment there. I know they edited these books a bit over the years but it still shocks me even when I apparently got ahold of an old copy.

message 36: by D.L. (last edited Jun 10, 2017 05:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments I took to Wikipedia for answers. You're not going to believe what title this book was originally published under in the UK: (view spoiler) That's so awful. I know times were different in the 1930's but still, shocking!

Eunice | 340 comments Oh wait. Now that you written the whole part, I do remember that line as well. I don't know what made me assume that was from Ms. Brent. My bad.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Ugh. I'm starting to think that everyone in this book should die. I have sympathy for General Macarthur, though. A crime of passion, not greed, resentment, or antipathy like the others. At least he has come to terms with the inevitable.

Does anyone know what Vera meant by "Death was for - the other people..."? I find that quote very ominous.

Eunice | 340 comments It's what got them to Soldier Island in the first place. Setting aside her racism, Vera isn't that bad. Racism was kind of prevalent before, isn't it? You can't really blame her much.

message 40: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Everyone dying in the book is okay by me. Mr. Owen, for the win! Do your worst lol I do feel bad for the General to be honest, in a way, because he found out his wife Louise was a two-timer and he just lashed out the only way he thought he could. He seems to really regret what he did.

Vera isn't so bad either setting aside that, I agree.

I am ready to see who gets bumped off next and how! Should we take bets on who gets it? The next death if we follow the poem goes:

Eight little Soldier Boys travelling in Devon;
One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.
(I got that from Wiki since again my copy is a bit different)

So I am not sure what that would mean though since they all seem trapped on the island. Maybe one tries to get off somehow and dies?? I am curious!

Eunice | 340 comments Maybe it means that whoever will die next has accepted his fate that he would die in the island. He has made peace with everything?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

That would be the General, then.

message 43: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Yes, it could be the General. Good guess, book buddies!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, only reading on can tell.

message 45: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments I will be ready to chat about the next 4 chapters tomorrow. Today has just been too busy for much reading :) Hope you're all well.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey guys.

Sorry I missed the discussion. It was a busy weekend. Maybe we can catch up next week?

message 47: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments jaylee wrote: "Hey guys.

Sorry I missed the discussion. It was a busy weekend. Maybe we can catch up next week?"

Sure, works for me. I just read the next 4 chapters but definitely do not mind waiting :) I will say: it's getting dicey and exciting now!

message 48: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments Guess what? When you finish the book, if you want to see the 1945 black&white movie adaptation of And Then There Were None, it's free on Amazon if you have Prime! :) When I'm done reading, I am going to watch it again because I can't remember much about it except that I liked it lol

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice! I will definitely check it out.

message 50: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. | 418 comments I finished the book (couldn't help myself hehe) but will wait until everyone's ready to discuss it :)

« previous 1