The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2017 > 30.8 - Diana K's Task: Where Am I From and How Did I Get Here?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 30, 2017 03:48AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4543 comments Mod
30.8 - Diana K’s Task: Where am I From and How Did I Get Here?

Immigration has been in the news a lot lately and it got me to thinking that almost all of us are where we are as a result of immigration.

This is a two-book task. Read one book that satisfies the requirements for Book 1 and another that works for Book 2.

No book with the genre "Childrens" or "Kids" on the book's Good Reads main page may be used for this task.

Book 1: Choose one of the following options:
Required: Identify the option.

Option A: Did one of your ancestors emigrate to the to the country where you now live? If so, read a book set at least 50% in a country where one of your ancestors came from. For example, both of my parents came to the USA from Czechoslovakia so I would read a book set there. My husband’s ancestors came from a variety of countries so he would pick just one of those. The book’s setting must be in a real country either past or present, e.g Germany or Prussia. Alternate, dystopian or futuristic depictions of real place DO NOT work here.

Required: State the country your ancestor came from. If the setting of the book is not evident in the GR record, include a reference when you post

Option B: Read a book either fiction or nonfiction about an immigrant. NOTE: You may choose option B even if you have an ancestor who came from another country.
REQUIRED: If the relevance of the book is not clear from the GR description, please explain how your book is about an immigrant.

These lists need not be used, but may help you find books: Immigrant Experience Literature, Immigrant Voices.

Book 2: How did that immigrant get here? How did your ancestor from Option A or the immigrant from Option B get to their new country? My parents came on the Queen Mary. Some immigrants arrive by plane or by slave ship or by walking across the border.

Read a book with a cover that shows the type of transportation that immigrant used such as a ship, a plane, a pair of shoes.
REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post

REQUIRED: Explain in your post how your ancestor or the immigrant in book 1B arrived in this country.

message 2: by Diana (last edited May 30, 2017 05:41AM) (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Approved for Option 2

Taking Flight From War Orphan to Star Ballerina by Michaela DePrince Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat Little Bee by Chris Cleave

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Place holder

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments for book 2 I want to verify The Girl Who Came Home by Hazel Gaynor for ship on the cover

message 6: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 267 comments My grandmother came over to England on the back of my grandfather's motorcycle, that was transported on a boat (my grandparents were/are pretty cool people!) Would I be able to use a motorcycle OR/AND a boat on the cover, or should I just stick with a boat?

message 7: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments Hi would Miss Treadway and the Field of Stars
work for book 1 there is an irish emigre in it

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1530 comments My paternal great-grandmother immigrated to South Africa from England and my maternal grandmother immigrated to South Africa from the United States at the age of 3. However, I no longer live in South Africa so neither immigrated to the country where I live now. Can I still use one of them for the task?

Thanks.

message 9: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited May 29, 2017 01:43PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments My maternal great grandmother immigrated to the US from Italy. She crossed the ocean on a boat when she was three months pregnant.

message 10: by Shree (new)

Shree | 120 comments Since I am an immigrant, I use where I came from in Book 1 and what transportation I used for Book 2?

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments Will any kind of boat do, or does it have to look like a passenger ship?

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Will any of these books work for Book 1 Option B:

Lion by Saroo Brierley Little Bee by Chris Cleave Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat Taking Flight From War Orphan to Star Ballerina by Michaela DePrince

I also have biographies of Nijinski (dancer, Soviet defector) and Hedy Lamarr (Viennese actress who resettled in the US in the 40s to escape the Third Reich). How large a role their immigrations play in the bios I know not.

message 13: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Siobhan wrote: "My grandmother came over to England on the back of my grandfather's motorcycle, that was transported on a boat (my grandparents were/are pretty cool people!) Would I be able to use a motorcycle OR/..."

How fun! Yes, either would work.

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Lauren wrote: "My paternal great-grandmother immigrated to South Africa from England and my maternal grandmother immigrated to South Africa from the United States at the age of 3. However, I no longer live in Sou..."

Sure.

message 15: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Chris wrote: "Will any kind of boat do, or does it have to look like a passenger ship?"

Any kind of boat will work.

message 16: by Diana (last edited May 29, 2017 05:59PM) (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Suzanne wrote: "Will any of these books work for Book 1 Option B:

Lion by Saroo Brierley Little Bee by Chris Cleave Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat [bookcover:Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star B..."

All 4 of those would work except Lion may not fit the SRC guidelines since it seems to be only in ebook form. And now I'm adding some new titles to my TBR list.)

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Lauren wrote: "My paternal great-grandmother immigrated to South Africa from England and my maternal grandmother immigrated to South Africa from the United States at the age of 3. However, I no longer live in Sou..."

Yes, for sure.

message 18: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Shree wrote: "Since I am an immigrant, I use where I came from in Book 1 and what transportation I used for Book 2?"

Yes.

message 19: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "for book 2 I want to verify The Girl Who Came Home by Hazel Gaynor for ship on the cover"

Yes, very clear.

message 20: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Marie wrote: "Hi would Miss Treadway and the Field of Stars
work for book 1 there is an irish emigre in it"

Sorry but I don't think so. When I read the description it does not seem like an emigre is the main character.

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Second question: I picked Taking Flight from my list above, and a quick check tells me the transpo method was airplane. I seem to be short on plane covers. These are the only two in my collection, will either work?

Attention All Passengers The Airlines' Dangerous Descent—And How To Reclaim Our Skies by William J. McGee Married with Luggage What We Learned About Love by Traveling the World by Warren Talbot

If not I can go troll amazon for something new.

message 22: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Yes, they both work.

message 23: by Marie (UK) (last edited May 30, 2017 12:45AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2476 comments OK so my maternal grandparents came from the Netherlands on a boat so

The Dinner setting - Amsterdam

They immigrated to Scotland via boat
The Boats of the 'Glen Carrig' by William Hope Hodgson
would be my second book

message 24: by Bea (last edited May 30, 2017 04:47AM) (new)

Bea | 3925 comments My family has been in the USA so long that most records are lost. It is speculated that my father's side came from Germany, but there are no ship records showing a passenger with our name. So I had my DNA checked through Ancestry.com. One of the surprises was that I am 30+% Irish. I would like to choose Ireland as one of the countries my family started from. Would that be OK?

I am assuming, for book 2, that a ship would be the way they came to America, since planes were not yet invented and trains, cars, horses, and other modes of transportation would not be able to cross the Atlantic.

Edited: It would be my mother's side that came from England/Ireland we are thinking.

message 25: by Cat (last edited May 30, 2017 03:44AM) (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2276 comments A hypothetical: what if, having chosen option B for book 1, it is unclear how the immigrant arrived? Can I just pick a reasonable method?

As an aside, can you clarify the last requirement: "A2" isn't an option at all - presumably you mean "book 1" ?

message 26: by SRC Moderator (new)

Catherine wrote: "A hypothetical: what if, having chosen option B for book 1, it is unclear how the immigrant arrived? Can I just pick a reasonable method?

As an aside, can you clarify the last requirement: "A2" is..."

it's now fixed - 1B

message 27: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2276 comments SRC Moderator wrote: "Catherine wrote: "A hypothetical: what if, having chosen option B for book 1, it is unclear how the immigrant arrived? Can I just pick a reasonable method?

As an aside, can you clarify the last re..."

Thanks! It was making my head hurt :)

message 28: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Marie wrote: "OK so my maternal grandparents came from the Netherlands on a boat so

The Dinner setting - Amsterdam

They immigrated to Scotland via boat
[bookcover:The Boats of the 'Glen Carri..."

Looks good.

message 29: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Bea wrote: "My family has been in the USA so long that most records are lost. It is speculated that my father's side came from Germany, but there are no ship records showing a passenger with our name. So I had..."

That's fine.

message 30: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Catherine wrote: "A hypothetical: what if, having chosen option B for book 1, it is unclear how the immigrant arrived? Can I just pick a reasonable method?

As an aside, can you clarify the last requirement: "A2" is..."

Yes.

message 31: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3667 comments Some years ago a cousin did a family tree and shared with all of us. My brother's comment: "I always thought Daddy's family came from Mexico .. but they were from San Antonio (Texas) all along!"

My response: In 1812 San Antonio WAS in Mexico ... the border moved after Texas won the war in 1836 .... Could I just use a chair ... as they were "sitting still" when they became "immigrants." ... LOL

Oh well ... my mother's parents DID emigrate from Mexico ...

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3667 comments Please confirm airplane on cover (lower right corner)
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
I am listening to the audio, so I believe THIS image is what counts (vs the MMP used to verify page length)

message 33: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Has anyone read The Book of Unknown Americans and can tell me how the main characters and their families traveled to the USA?

message 34: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3667 comments BriKie wrote: "Has anyone read The Book of Unknown Americans and can tell me how the main characters and their families traveled to the USA?"

In a pick-up truck: "...we arrived, the three of us in the backseat of a red pick-up truck..."

message 35: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 04, 2017 05:52AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3667 comments Please confirm that this book involves an immigrant, for Book 1, Option B
The Lowland
From Ellen's Review: Brothers Udayan and Subhash grew up in the 1950's in Calcutta. Both were intelligent, driven and scholarly until Udayan, the younger brother, became enamored of the Naxalite political upheaval that patterned itself after Mao's teachings. Subhash went to America where he studied chemistry and became a professor at a university in Rhode Island.

The novel is set in both India and America, contrasting the two brothers' lives.

message 36: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments Book Concierge wrote: "BriKie wrote: "Has anyone read The Book of Unknown Americans and can tell me how the main characters and their families traveled to the USA?"

In a pick-up truck: "...we arrived, th..."

Thanks, Book Concierge! Now I know what cover to look for.

message 37: by Bridgett (last edited Jun 04, 2017 08:32AM) (new)

Bridgett (brikie) | 6 comments BriKie wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "BriKie wrote: "Has anyone read The Book of Unknown Americans and can tell me how the main characters and their families traveled to the USA?"

In a pick-up tr..."

To follow up, when you said red pick-up truck, I was a tad worried that I wouldn't be able to find many choices but I actually found a perfect fit with a red pickup! It's YA and I don't normally read YA but I've heard GREAT things about this one, so I'm excited.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

message 38: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1446 comments For Book 1: option B, would Something in Between works?

message 39: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Please confirm airplane on cover (lower right corner)
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
I am listening to the audio, so I believe THIS image is what counts (vs the MMP used to verify page length)"

Yes, I see the plane.

message 40: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Please confirm that this book involves an immigrant, for Book 1, Option B
The Lowland
From Ellen's Review: Brothers Udayan and Subhash grew up in the 1950's in Calcutta. Both were i..."

Confirmed.

message 41: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Tien wrote: "For Book 1: option B, would Something in Between works?"

Yes.

message 42: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1446 comments Thank you.

message 43: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 362 comments Could I check if The Emigrants will work for book one, option B please?

The narrator emigrated from Germany to the UK, and the book tells his life story and the stories of other immigrants. I know the task description says a book about an immigrant so just wanted to confirm this will work since it is about several immigrants. Thank you!

message 44: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments That's fine.

message 45: by Jamie (last edited Jun 20, 2017 02:25PM) (new)

Jamie | 467 comments Sorry, I know this was asked earlier but I want to be clear, if my great grandmother came here from Ireland on a boat, I can use a cover item of a small sailboat even though that's obviously not the type of boat she would have arrived on.

Thank you!

message 46: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Right, any kind of boat will work.

message 47: by Camilla (last edited Jul 03, 2017 09:44AM) (new)

Camilla | 519 comments Book 1, option B: is an alternative history immigration okay? It's not forbidden in the task description, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm thinking of The Landing, which, according to the description, is about "Eskil, orphaned in war, but now a man, is leading his followers to found a settlement in the west [meaning America] dedicated to Odin and Asgard’s gods."

message 48: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments It certainly doesn't fit with the intent I had in mind for this task but I see that I put the prohibition in Option 1 and not in Option 2 so I guess you can go ahead and use it.

message 49: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 159 comments Is the boat visible enough on this cover?

Dance Upon The Air (Three Sisters Island, #1) by Nora Roberts

message 50: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Yes, I can see it.

« previous 1