Start by marking “Something in Between” as Want to Read:
Something in Between

Something in Between

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  3,467 Ratings  ·  770 Reviews
It feels like there’s no ground beneath me, like everything I’ve ever done has been a lie. Like I’m breaking apart, shattering. Who am I? Where do I belong?

Jasmine de los Santos has always done what’s expected of her. Pretty and popular, she’s studied hard, made her Filipino immigrant parents proud and is ready to reap the rewards in the form of a full college scholarship.
Published October 4th 2016 by Harlequin Teen

Christine Riccio
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a relevant important read. Blew through it! Here's my full booktalk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cazu...
C.G. Drews
I know this is a very personal story to the author (as said in the author's note) plus it's about immigrants and the themes of "where do I belong?" that come with living in a country you weren't born in, and also the politics behind immigrations and how horrible the world can be to them. But overall the writing didn't work for me and the romance was so full of miscommunications I couldn't even ship it. (The whiny back-and-forth "we're together, no we're broken up!" is really not something I have ...more
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Hands down, Something in Between is the best YA contemporary book of the year.

If you’re only familiar with Melissa de la Cruz’s fantasy and paranormal books, I’m going to put a huge disclaimer: this is drastically different than her previous works. It is her best yet. She came back to her original roots which is realistic fiction ala chick lit where the stakes are higher.

Something in Between follows the story of Jasmine de los Santos, a smart high school student who’s eligible to apply to prest
Maureen
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars

There are bits of this book that I LOVE and bits that I don't. I really do think so many people need to read it and that it's such an important story to come out right before the election. WE NEED MORE STORIES LIKE THIS! Especially from #ownvoices. Thank you, Melissa, for sharing this story that is so similar to your own, and for showing a different side of things to many people that wouldn't otherwise know of it!
I really liked the characters and the overall plot. YeH, it was predicta
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i'm absolutely in love with this. to finally read a book where i can actually say this character is me, her family is like mine...well the feeling is indescribable. i'm so happy with this book. it's uplifting and heartbreaking. this is SUCH an important story. while i was so fortunate enough to be born here in the United States, my parents are immigrants from the Phillipines and this book reminded of their hard work and sacrifice to make sure i was successful, to make sure that i didn't take any ...more
Cait • A Page with a View
The main story is about Jasmine de los Santos whose Filipino family are undocumented immigrants living in California. She doesn't know this and is having a great time at high school -- she's captain of her champion cheerleading team, valedictorian, and has worked really hard to succeed. She wins a prestigious national scholarship and then meets Royce, the son of a congressman working to deport illegal immigrants. Jasmine's dreams are crushed because she can't accept the scholarship without her g ...more
Dannii Elle
I received this on a read to review basis from NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the author, Melissa de la Cruz, and the publisher, Harlequin Teen, for this opportunity.

This is the story of teenage Jasmine de los Santos: Cheer captain, A* student, hospital volunteer, national college scholar winner, of Filipino origin and, oh yeah, an undocumented citizen of the USA. The story could well have been a solely dark and harrowing one, but the author chose to address the issue
Jessica
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was everything.

As a Filipino American I have never read a book about my culture until this. This book proves that representation matters. I related to all the Filipino parts. I loved the use of Tagalog words and Filipino food throughout the novel. One of my favorite quotes was when Jasmine described her brother as being “louder and more dramatic than anybody else, which really means something when you come from a Filipino family” (40). That is so damn true.

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
04/20/16
A book about Filipino immigrants? Heck yeah, count me in.
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited and NetGalley.)

“I don’t know. I don’t know what’s going to happen.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl who found out that she was living in the US illegally.

I felt quite sorry for Jasmine in this story as she had her whole future planned out, only to discover that things weren’t going to go to plan at all, and that she may even be deported.

The storyline in this was a
Maddie
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stand-alones, arcs
Review originally posted on Heart Full of Books!

I was really excited to read Something in Between because of the subject matter. It’s a shame that I read this one so soon after The Sun is Also a Star, though, as I couldn’t help but draw comparisons between the portrayal of illegal immigrants. Both authors took the same stance: that it’s unjust and an ugly term to describe people that have only done what was best for their families, and I think that message was the most powerful, but I wholeheart
Shea Iris (bookishwanderlust)
Dec 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
The hype was all of Goodreads, Instagram and blogs. The main reason at I read this is because it's the book of the month of our Book Club and I was drawn by the cover. The illustrations, typography and even the color scheme is soothing and appealing for a YA contemporary. It looks like a light hearted read and when I read the synopsis, I was highly motivated to know that the main character and author is a Filipino. The concept of immigration is interesting to read knowing it's from a perspective ...more
enqi ✨ (belongs to rhysand, jin & peter kavinsky)
so i'm like 20 years late to the hype but here goes
Norah Una Sumner
Buddy read with my sweetie Sara.

Something in Between is very dramatic, very over-the-top and sometimes a bit annoying, yet, it came to me at the exact right time and made me love the character of Jasmine de los Santos. The theme of the book, of course, is very serious and very important and I do not think that it was over-shadowed by the romantic plot at all. Every character in this book is stubborn, from the main character, to her parents and friends, and to mister Royce himself as well as his
Erika
May 18, 2016 marked it as to-read
A BOOK ABOUT A FELLOW ASIAN? YES PLEASE. HELLO MY PEOPLE!
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy via Edelweiss for review purposes.

Something In Between follows the story of Jasmine de los Santos, a conscientious and intelligent high school student trying her hardest to make her Filipino parents proud. After receiving a national scholar award, Jasmine's parents are compelled to tell her the truth: that they are undocumented. Everything that Jasmine has known and holds dear becomes threatened. It means no scholarship and the constant threat of deportation. Y
Chesca
Nov 14, 2016 marked it as to-read
"For the first time, Jasmine rebels, trying all those teen things she never had time for in the past." <--- This is just SO Filipino, in my opinion, if you belong to a conservative family. Basically, this was me when I was seventeen.
Hanna Fogel
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
There's a reason I read this book in a day--I could barely put it down. This book is an important one, especially in today's U.S. political climate. I connected personally to this book in a couple of ways--though we did it legally and from an English-speaking country, which certainly made many things easier, my family immigrated to the U.S. twenty years ago and stayed on greencards till we finally applied for and got citizenship in 2012, so I know what it feels like to feel like you only partly ...more
Celeste_pewter
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Books that humanize the topic of illegal immigration have become more commonplace in YA over the past couple of years, which is a much appreciated trend especially given the recent election cycle.

In Something in Between, Melissa de La Cruz introduces readers to Jasmine, an accomplished high school senior living in Southern California. While Jasmine has dreams of attending elite colleges, the discovery that she’s an undocumented immigrant seems like it’s about to derail that plan…

I've read a nu
Kat at Book Thingo
I wanted to like this book, but I've concluded that it's like Twilight for immigrants. I could relate to the heroine because of my lived experience, but the story itself doesn't really explore the nuances of, well, anything. Immigration, culture, identity, politics, love -- these are all brought up as potential themes but never explored enough to mean anything. The heroine feels like a placeholder. Mostly, I found the story long. And bland. There were parts of the story I found hard to believe. ...more
CW (new book blog coming soon! ✨)
A book with excellent discourse but ultimately let down by the shoe-horned romance.

- For one, I adored Jasmine. She was a fantastic character that represented the pressure and burden that rests on the shoulders of immigrant children: being cut above the rest to compensate for their parents' sacrifices.
- The discourse on immigration and illegal immigrants was important. I wasn't very familiar with the green card system and America's politics surrounding illegal immigration, so this book was very
Jay G
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Jasmine de los Santo is an exemplary student. She is the captain of her high school cheer team and has just been awarded a National Scholar award. After telling her parents the exciting news, they reveal that their family is living in America illegally and she won't be able to accept the award. Now, with all her dreams crashing around her, Jasmine rebels for the first time in her life.
Adalyn (Glittering Reads)
I wasn’t considered an American, I lost sight of who I was. I thought a piece of paper defined me, that I was a different person, lesser. But throughout this entire year, I’ve found out that who I was never changed. I let what the law said about me-that I did, as a human being, was illegal, that I didn’t belong in the place I’d always known as my own home-change my own perception of who I am.

Something in Between was a spectacular read. The message it conveyed, and how it portrayed it, is so ve
Abbie
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 3.25

I felt really sorry for Jasmine in this. The situation she was in really couldn't have been easy to deal with.

This took me a while to get into at first, but after a few chapters it managed to gain my interest. The writing sometimes felt a bit off to me, and there were still a few times where my interest waned slightly, but it was a decent read overall.

Pinky
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is very important, I'm so glad I read it. It has so many issues that are not spoken about a lot in books. I've never read a book about an immigrant struggling to stay in a country. This was so good, I loved it so much.

“I can't think of anything I'm not grateful for.”

Jasmine de la Santos is an immigrant who has worked so hard to maintain her grades and made many friends. After receiving a letter that she was a national scholar and was invited to dinner, she tells her parents expecti
Helena at The Life of a Booknerd Addict ❤️
Three reasons why I picked up Something in Between by Melissa De La Cruz. One, it’s about a important topic of illegal immigration. Second, it’s about a family and culture of the Philippines. Which is a topic that is very close to my heart as I am married to a wonderful man who is filipino. But 3rd, probably the most important to me is about, interracial-romance.

This was a cute and interesting story. It had lot of information. There aren’t many books, that talk about the 3 points that I mentione
Emily Anne
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Something In Between is such an important read. Melissa de la Cruz brings to light the struggles of undocumented families and informs her readers on the subject; likewise, she still tells a great love story. I can't recommend this enough!

Our main character, Jasmine, has worked hard her whole life. She hopes to get into a top college. However, her parents tell her that their family is undocumented, and all her hopes seem to shatter. How can she get a scholarship to go Stanford if she isn't docum
Najwa (najreads)
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Besides the amazing story of how illegal immigrants struggle to deserve their citizenship in a country (how hard that must've been) and besides the ever charming Royce and sweet Millie, I think this book was just like other typical teen YA contemporaries where the poor girl gets the rich guy with such an annoying and naive and stupid MC.

I did not like Jasmine, her life is too perfect except for the fact she's an undocumented imigrant of course but she got good grades,she
Lauren Stoolfire
Jun 18, 2016 marked it as to-read
I picked up a ARC sampler at B & N. I wasn't all that interested when I first saw this contemporary, but after reading the short summary I was immediately sold on talking home this eight chapter sampler. It's a diverse coming-of-age novel featuring the timely subject illegal immigration and the American Dream. Based on these ninety-one pages, I'm going to say it's not to be missed.
  • I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • The Women in the Walls
  • The Lovely Reckless
  • The Continent (The Continent, #1)
  • Our Chemical Hearts
  • You're Welcome, Universe
  • Metaltown
  • The Great Shelby Holmes (The Great Shelby Holmes, #1)
  • The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
  • Sometimes We Tell the Truth
  • Kids of Appetite
  • The Female of the Species
  • The Littlest Bigfoot
  • The Romantics
  • The Peculiar Night of the Blue Heart
  • The Forgetting (The Forgetting, #1)
  • Diplomatic Immunity
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Do you ever sense a little silver sliver of sadness around your happiest memories?

I'm not sure I know what you mean...

I do. There's something about remembering that just isn't the same as the real thing. No matter how happy it makes you feel. When you remember something, you have to recognize that the moment will never happen again.”
10 likes