Seminole County Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Summer Reading 2017 > 2017 Summer Reading Contest

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Seminole County Public Library (seminolecountypubliclibrary) | 98 comments Mod
During Summer Reading this year, from May 27th through July 27th, 2017, submit up to 5 original book reviews here on Goodreads in order to be entered into weekly drawings for $5 Starbucks gift cards, the end-of-summer drawing for a $50 Amazon Gift card and the Grand Prize drawing for a Kindle Fire HD. Please note this contest is only open to Seminole County Public Library cardholders who are 18 or older.

To enter, type your original review into the comment field below and hit the "post" button.

You can also participate in person at your local Seminole County Public Library branch for more chances to win, by entering a completed reading log, a Tic-Tac-Toe reading challenge, or up to 5 book reviews—though book reviews entered in-person must be different than reviews submitted on Goodreads.

Weekly drawings will be held on Mondays, June 19th & 26th + July 10th, 17th, 24th& 31st, the drawing for the Amazon gift card will be held Monday, July 31, 2017, and the Grand Prize drawing for the Kindle Fire HD will be held Wednesday, August 2, 2017.

We will message winners on Goodreads to coordinate picking up prizes.

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 21 comments So excited for summer reading!

message 3: by Tara (last edited Jun 15, 2017 02:54PM) (new)

Tara (taradactyl3) Everything, EverythingNicola Yoon's book The Sun is Also a Star is on the surface a story about interracial and intercultural romance. Deeper within this plot though the author introduces the idea of diaspora in the USA. The two main characters come from different cultures and yet both feel they relate more to American culture than they do to their own ethnic culture at certain times.

The story takes place over one day in their lives in which they tackle the idea of love at first sight while confronting the conflicts faced by their families here in the USA.

I enjoyed the novel, but it cannot compare the the author's more popular work, Everything, Everything. This book is definitely more for a reader who enjoys romance with some thoughtful philosophical debate. There really isn't any big twist as in her other book, and the ending felt a little flat and too coincidental to me.

I give the book 3.5 stars.

message 4: by Tara (last edited Jun 15, 2017 02:54PM) (new)

Tara (taradactyl3) The Wishing ThreadThe Wishing Thread by Lisa Van Allen is a whimsical tale about three sisters living in Tarrytown, NY. The story details the intricacies of their relationships with each other and with their aunt, who raised them when their mother ran off.

When their aunt dies and leaves the house to the three sisters, the magic within becomes both the thread that holds them together and that pulls them in different directions.

The author does a good job of developing the main character and I liked the metaphysical concept behind the plot of this book.

I also enjoyed the idea of craftivism which was used in the story as the three sisters tried to stop their hometown from being bought by developers.

The book lags a little in the middle, but it is definitely worth a read by anyone who enjoys a mystical story with a touch of romance.

I give this 3.5 stars.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin | 21 comments Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
3/5 Stars

This was an easy read, but I found myself wanting more. Perhaps there's some deeper meaning that I don't see, but to me, it was simply a story focusing on the survival of a handful of people in a post-pandemic world.

I honestly don't have much to say about this book except that I found "The Prophet's" death completely anticlimactic which was quite disappointing. Overall, I didn't hate the story, but I certainly didn't think it was great, and it's not one I'd recommend to anyone.

message 6: by JT (new)

JT | 6 comments Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
Considered High School (British Literature), but very satirical; requires some knowledge of political history and the author's viewpoint. I don't remember reading this in HS (I'm trying to redeem my HS education), but I did not enjoy it specifically because of the degrading descriptions of the human body in Gulliver's second voyage. By book three Swift is obviously irreverently insulting human beings as a race. Not my thing but if you're looking for that sort of thing from a "classic," put on your best British accent and enjoy.

message 7: by Erin (last edited Jun 12, 2017 05:57PM) (new)

Erin | 21 comments Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton
4/5 Stars

I may be a bit biased because Michael Crichton is my absolute favorite author, but I waited almost a year for this book to come out and it did not disappoint!

This piece of historical fiction focuses on the real life feud between paleontologists Othniel Charles Marsh and Edward Drinker Cope. The majority of the story plays out in the developing West which was exciting for me because that's a huge part of my treasured Little House on the Prairie books! It also brought to mind the Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman television series (which I love and own on DVD ;-)

I found it interesting that Crichton chose to attribute the discovery of the Brontosaurus to Cope in this book because, based on some internet browsing, most sources appear to credit the discovery to Marsh. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the story and know I will reread it in the future.

I also loved that this story had Crichton's voice! (I was sorely disappointed with the posthumously published Micro that was completed by Richard Preston.)

message 8: by Bethanee (new)

Bethanee | 2 comments The Circle Maker Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears by Mark Batterson

Mark Batterson's, Circle Maker, was given to me by a family member. His writing is easy to follow, so it was an easy read.

I appreciated Mark's passion on the subject of prayer and the importance of dreaming big, setting goals and having vision for your life. Some of his suggestions were inspiring for me as I reflect on my own life. The importance of prayer and the role it can have in my life was something I already agreed with in theory, but after reading I am convicted I should put more prayer into practice.

In places I felt like Mark's assertions were based more on historical anecdote rather than on the Bible. My own hesitation in suggesting this book is that it be read with the Bible in the other hand as a continual reference on prayer. Nothing stood out as particularly contrary to the Bible. However, his references of the Bible were not convincing or convicting for me every time. I am still in process on some subjects.

Overall, if you are looking for a book that will inspire hope, I recommend picking up this book and giving some of his suggestions a try!

message 9: by Bethanee (last edited Jun 21, 2017 10:49AM) (new)

Bethanee | 2 comments Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

After hearing of Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin referred to in different contexts, I was determined to find out for myself what it was all about. I was pleasantly surprised.

For a novel written in 1850, the author seems to have quite a bit of awareness about racism and its effects, not just in the South, but in the North as well. Stowe makes some generalizations of African Americans that I think are inaccurate and inappropriate, but overall she communicates passionately and movingly on the horrid oppression of slavery. It is no wonder her book moved many white Americans toward abolition.

As someone who has spent quite a bit of study in the Bible and the character of Jesus Christ, I was really impressed with Stowe's character, Uncle Tom, who seems to be modeled after Jesus. While I frequently hear people refer to "Uncle Tom" as a sellout, I could find no evidence of this label in Stowe's description. Is Stowe's Uncle Tom where we get this label? After reading, I find that hard to believe.

When I think of someone as a sellout, I think of a traitor to oneself and their people. Uncle Tom is the exact opposite. He refuses to abuse people, even when pushed to the point of death. And he refuses to accept slavery, always asserting that he was created by God to be free. If anything, Stowe describes a character who is sold out to an understanding of love and self-sacrifice that is found nowhere else in history other than in Jesus Christ, and Stowe makes this connection. Uncle Tom's unusual behavior, especially in the last third of the book, is depicted as a result of his understanding of who Jesus is and his death on the cross. It is shocking and admirable.

While some readers might think Stowe is asserting that all slaves should be like Uncle Tom, I don't believe that interpretation. Instead, I believe she paints a picture of the cost of what it would mean to live rightly and with love under the conditions of slavery. In short, she depicts how impossible it would be to be a Christian, to live like Jesus, as an enslaved person in the American South. She seems sympathetic, not condemning, toward any who don't choose Uncle Tom's path of love and self-sacrifice. The purpose of her novel supports this interpretation, because she wrote with the purpose of abolishing slavery, not to tell slaves how to live in their current circumstances. Besides, the other half of her novel supports slaves who run away from their "masters". Cleary Stowe does not believe Uncle Tom's choice to love others and remain in slavery is the only response, and she clearly depicts who impossible it is to choose this kind of love (without supernatural help).

A friend asked me how the book has changed me. While I've read other slave narratives, such as Roots before, in reading I was reminded once again of the brutal oppression and injustice of slavery. It's easy for me as a white American woman to gloss over what it means for slavery to be a part of our history. This book reminds me that the effects of slavery were deep for the generations who experienced it. Yet, it doesn't end there. The impact continues to run deep in America generations after the Emancipation Proclamation. I want to continue to remember and work toward a more just society, knowing that full reparations can probably never repay the bloodshed and suffering that African Americans bore in the early years of this country.

message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara (taradactyl3) After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid

After I do by Taylor Jenkins Reid

This was an interesting book. It read so much like an autobiography that I had to check the spine at one point to make sure that it was fiction. I suppose that is a sign of a good writer, and yet I did not love this book.

I guess my biggest issue is the fact that I could not relate to any of the characters in the book. That being said, the author did a good job of developing the characters in a way that made me care about them. I found myself jealous of the sister's relationship and that of the co-workers Mila and Lauren. These were both portrayed as loving and supportive yet at times messy, as all friendships can be.

Some of the plot was predictable, but I still enjoyed reading through until the end to find out exactly what conclusions the main character came to after her year long break from her husband.

I give this one 4 stars. It's not going to blow your mind, but if you are anything like me, you will enjoy the time that you spending reading it.

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara (taradactyl3) American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang

I picked this up at a used book store with credit on a whim because it looked interesting. I read this in an hour and at first I didn't get it. At about the 3/4 mark I started to put things together. Some of the story line was difficult to read due to the stereotypes and behavior of some of the characters. The artwork was bright and engaging and fit well with each story. Once I put the three stories together I smiled and realized that it was a really entertaining way to spend an hour while waiting for the kids soccer practice to end.

message 12: by Victor-Nina (new)

Victor-Nina Gutierrez | 7 comments Cinder

The Lunar Chronicles is a must read!
It consists of 5 book series and I just finished them.
Written by the author Marissa Meyer, each book entails a new take on an old fairy tale, including Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Snow White. The story takes place in a futuristic world where humans, cyborgs, androids, and a race of moon colonists all coexist.
Book 1- Cinder
Main character, Linh Cinder (based on Cinderella), a cyborg living with her step mother and her two stepsisters, works as a mechanic in a booth at the market place, where she meets Prince Kai, who requests her to fix his personal android. Very engaging and full of actions and the book has a wonder lead into the next book series – Scarlet.

message 13: by Victor-Nina (new)

Victor-Nina Gutierrez | 7 comments Scarlet

Written by the author Marissa Meyer, each book entails a new take on an old fairy tale, including Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Snow White. The story takes place in a futuristic world where humans, cyborgs, androids, and a race of moon colonists all coexist.
Book 2- Scarlet
Scarlet is the second book in The Lunar Chronicles.
Scarlet Benoit (based on Little Red Riding Hood) is the granddaughter of Michelle Benoit, a farmer and former military pilot who has suddenly disappeared. On Scarlet's journey to find her grandmother, she works hesitantly with a street fighter named Wolf to find her grandmother. Scarlet meets Cinder (main character from book 1) and becomes an ally in her plan to stop Queen Levana. Again, tons of action with a splash of romance. Read this book within a few days.

message 14: by Victor-Nina (new)

Victor-Nina Gutierrez | 7 comments Cress

Book 3- Cress
Crescent Moon, or 'Cress' Darnel (based on Rapunzel), is an imprisoned shell, working with Sybil to help Lunar ships. Living alone on a satellite, she secretly works to sabotage the wicked Lunar queen and eventually Cress teams up with Cinder and becomes entangled in her plot to save Earth. I found this book to be very engaging as well. The focus on loneliness for the main character is felt and sympathized with. Full of action and more romance.

message 15: by Victor-Nina (new)

Victor-Nina Gutierrez | 7 comments Fairest
Book 4- Fairest
Fairest is a prequel to the other books in the series, telling the backstory and past of Queen Levana (based on the Evil Queen from Snow White). Fairest begins when Levana is around 15 years old and covers about 10 years of her life, ending about a decade before Cinder is set. This was my least favorite book from the series. I went into reading the book not liking the main character due to all the horrors she was a part of in the previous books. I was intrigued though to find out how she became so cold hearted.

message 16: by Victor-Nina (new)

Victor-Nina Gutierrez | 7 comments Winter

Book 5 – Winter
Winter (based on Snow White) is Queen Levana's stepdaughter. She's lived on Luna in the palace and has been raised by her stepmother. This book brings all the characters together and the outcome is so worth the wait. Enjoy the series!

message 17: by Victor-Nina (last edited Jul 05, 2017 12:38PM) (new)

Victor-Nina Gutierrez | 7 comments Currently reading another book By Marissa Meyer so I will update you when I am done! Happy reading

Heartless

message 18: by Tara (new)

Tara (taradactyl3) Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea

Into The Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea

four stars

This was unlike most books that I have read. Although it is a work of fiction, it was still based on real places, and it's due to this fact that I also found it educational. With immigration being such a popular topic here in the U.S. lately, it was interesting to read a book published in 2009 with 2017 eyes. I found parts both sad and funny and maybe some a touch unrealistic. By the end of the book I felt a kinship with Nayeli and Tacho. Being a citizen of a place can make that place feel like home no matter what the struggles are there.

Seminole County Public Library (seminolecountypubliclibrary) | 98 comments Mod
As soon as each of the reviews above were posted they were emailed, printed and added to the drawing boxes at our five branches, with entries distributed evenly between each branch.
For the week 6 drawing for a $5 Starbucks gift card at the East Branch in Oviedo, Tara’s entry for Into the Beautiful North was drawn. Congratulations, Tara!

For the Grand Prize Drawing for a Kindle Fire, Victor-Nina’s review of Cress, above, was drawn as the system-wide winner. Congratulations, Victor-Nina!

Thanks to everyone who participated in Summer Reading here on Goodreads!

message 20: by Victor-Nina (new)

Victor-Nina Gutierrez | 7 comments So excited!!!! Thanks so very much , another perk to reading !

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.